JAGEX buys Planetarion

Ts_Stormrage

AKA a crappy Sci-Fi themed text-based browser game that has seen a million copies of it, quite a few of which are far better versions of the original...

I learned about this because my clan has its channel on the same IRC server as that entire game (and several others) is... So how crappy is this game? My clan is the top active channel ON THAT ENTIRE IRC server, and this game is not even in the top 5...

My guess is they just bought it to advertise it to space freaks :)

Link: http://www.planetarion.com/news/news/read/295-jagex-purchases-planetarion

SRSly, their entire forum is slightly more active then just General Discussions here...

Anyone else wanna take a stab at why they bought it?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

They want to make a game like runescape out of it.

MMG directly states that they want to make a sequel.

Is there something special about the game?

Does it have some level of realism like star trek or is all star wars fantasy?

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Let me state again...

It is a TEXT based browser game...

Aka, when you refresh a page, you suddenly have it say that a fleet of ships is coming your way...

it doesnt show you the actual footage of the ships, its just a multiplayer excel sheet...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Let me state again...

Aka, when you refresh a page, you suddenly have it say that a fleet of ships is coming your way...

it doesnt show you the actual footage of the ships, its just a multiplayer excel sheet...

And this matters because... your a 90s product?

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

IN BEFORE STELLAR DAWN

Edit: nvm

No but seriously ns do you have to mention ts in EVERY post you make? :P

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Its where the news is heard before it comes on here :)

And being a 90s product... good or bad thing? ;)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Its where the news is heard before it comes on here :)

And being a 90s product... good or bad thing? ;)

Good if want to live to the year 2050.

Bad if want to discuss how graphics are everything to people who played PnP RPGs and 8 bit nintendo during childhood.

Golvellius.png

Ahahaha! This is too funny =D Even the players of the game hates it, looking at the forum posts. I really have no idea what Jagex wants to do here...

Perhaps this is the 3rd MMO they're working on, and they wanna give it graphics and gameplay? I really dont see why they would want a 3rd MMO otherwise.

EDIT: Continued reading forum posts, its priceless xD they've basically given up already :D

Quotes:

"be aware that Planetarion need change, its been stagnant for ages"

"the vast majority of the community would just be happy with any gameplay change"

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Jagex are a company and want to expand, i see no problem in them doing so. They may just want the challenge of turning a failing game around.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

"I can only hope the new owners make progress where their predecessors have failed."

"[cabbage] happens, and then you play PA"

"we've been shafted so many times and been fooled by so many people who really did not put the time, or the effort into the game."

"Call me mildly hopefull that were not going to get shafted and then sold on yet again."

I kinda feel sorry for them. :P They dont seem to have had very good experience with previous owners.

Wow I played that game back in like year 2000 lol it was massively popular back than. But yeah its bad now compared to lots of others and actually most of the online sci fi's copied stuff frmo it. Its cool tho!

Anybody here ever played Utopia? :P

Could there be any intellectual property in this game? Like, Jagex buys it, covers their asses when someone accuses them of copyright infringement, or they get to go after someone else?

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

It was actually a largish game back in the day. Before Runescape existed, it was one of the more popular free to play games. (though the internet had less users in general back then) I never played it myself, but had friends who did.

They'll be a good number of ex-planaterion users out there if Jagex does manage to do something interesting with it.

It screwed itself over by going from entirely F2P to entirely P2P and decimating their userbase (Jagex handled things in this period much better by keeping the F2P game and making a members version in addition)

Subsequent F2P gameplay wasn't enough to get it's lost users back. - but then it looks like it's had minimal developer support for years.

Let me state again...

Which is what all MUDs used to be.

td2sig.jpg

So...I am still in utter shock....

The two games I've played for years will now be under the same company.

I started playing Planetarion in 2000 back when it was just in it's 4th Round. There were over 100k planets with probably close to 50-60k people playing them. Yeah if you think about it the game was highly multi-ed. I had 3 planets myself in two different galaxies. The very next round PA's makers decided to make the game p2p. That was the biggest part of it's decline in popularity back then. But Planetarion has always been a game of alliances kinda like RS has its clans. If you were in a good alliance then you had fun with wars against other alliances. I was up long periods of time setting up defense of my fellow allymates as a defence officer for Wolfpack (we won Round 6) and a few other alliances. It was and still is a great game because every round the makers and programmers change things to keep t fresh. Whether it's ship stats, alliance limits, random galaxy vs private galaxies, or thousands of other ideas people have stuck around to see what would be next and try to win or get into the illustrious Top 50.

Anyway, I can go on all night about Planetarion being a decent game. Ts_Stormrage is right. It's a MUD for lack of a better term and it's hourly tick based. No graphics, no 3D rendering, no threat of bots (well not anymore at least), and not much of the other problems RS has had in the past but it's a decent and respectable game.

BUT RUNESCAPE STILL RULES ALL! :)

tifsiggy.jpg