Runescape today

Normalize

Runescape today is, in my opinion, what the USA was in the 1980s - the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. There is such a gap between the rich and poor that it's plainly pathetic. You have dip[cabbage]s like Chessy018 hoarding all the rares for themselves and good, honest runescapers spending hours just to buy dclaws or a whip. It pisses me off. Thoughts?

NormaIize.png

With a boss like Corporeal, wealth is also a bit luck-based.

Some friends had several sigils and are now considered uberrich, some other friends have corped the same ammount of time and are stil "poor".

But you're right imo, the insanely rich get rich richer every day on a whole different scale. That's greed for you. <_<

Seems like a rant to me. The only reason poor people stay poor is because they choose to stay poor. Today's RS gives people plenty of opportunities to make 1-2m+/hr. The reason people don't do them is because they choose not to do them. As for people like Chessy, while I do not like her methods of getting rich (namely starting a merchant clan and beginning the mass scamming now used by most manipulation clans), she did take a huge risk in the undertaking and it is probably one of the few attempts at striking oil which worked for people in RS. If one little thing had gone wrong in Chessy's clan then she would have instead lost millions for herself and her generals.

120dgl.jpg

Do you need alot gp to have fun and accomplish things in RS?

No. I've never made more than 1mil an hr like the person above me suggests and you can see what I accomplished.

Do you need money in real life to survive? yes.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

It very easy to jump between classes in Runescape you just have to put in some effort, note that those players with Billions had to put in effort too.

People are either too stupid or can't be bothered making the changes. Some people hoover around the 5m mark (or where ever they are at) for years, yet if I was to make a new account I could get past that stage in a day.

It's true that having money helps create money, that's why it takes effort to jump up a "class", like real life your first million is the hardest.

These transitions are easy though, don't want to be the chav of the online world, do you? :razz:

Judging by your sig you've probably still got loads to learn, my first 2m wasn't easy, neither was my first rune plate. The more you know the easier it is.

This thread reminds me, I need to add a partyhat to my G&A :mrgreen:

Problem with your theory is that there are no barriers to move up in Runescape, like there are in real life. If you want to be as rich as these players, you can do that, just stop being lazy and learn to merchant, build up a few billion, then start your own manipulation clan.

BTW, merchant clans are more like, "The smart get richer, the stupid get poorer."

Its actually EXTREMELY easy nowadays to make a TON of money and become rich. There is nothing holding anybody back. If somebody wants to get rich, they work for it, boom done.

This rant is kind of pathetic. And very flawed.

user1-dark.png

Like everyone else said, Runescape today is not best described as Regeanomics, but instead as Acres of Diamonds. The only reason why the "poor" are "poor" is because they "choose" to be. Becoming rich takes as little effort as 8 minutes a day to do dailies and an herb run.

Runescape today is, in my opinion, what the USA was in the 1980s - the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. There is such a gap between the rich and poor that it's plainly pathetic. You have dip[cabbage]s like Chessy018 hoarding all the rares for themselves and good, honest runescapers spending hours just to buy dclaws or a whip. It pisses me off. Thoughts?

I agree with you there. This is probably all thanks to a trade limit silly JaGeX

Queen of Classic

2igeq9e.jpg

I disagree with the analogy. It is more suited to where the USA economy is going rather than what it was in the 1980s. During that time, the baby boomers were in the middle of their 30s which gave a large workforce to America, which in turn produced a strong middle class.

Today, the strain of the baby boomers on federal programs such as medicare, social security, etc, combined with a lower number of people in the workforce (percentage wise) will create the rift you describe.

However the rich will always get richer because there are two things in business that will never change: Gotta have money to make money, and the law of compound interest makes money grow if you have more. So if you have alot of money, youre able to make it grow alot faster than someone who doesnt.

wessan.png

Its mostly down to if you agree with merchanting for uber richness or hardcore skilling/killing for high richness. The killing aspect involves alot of luck.

Personally I dont agree with merchanting so to make money I am forced to make a small faction compared to a heavy merchant to become rich.

The more money you get the richer you can get yes but there is nothing stopping someone getting rich to get richer themselves. Obviously merchanters gain the biggest advantage from this though due fact that they gain alot more. Imo though that comes at a great cost to their account on a different level that I dont agree with. However their are different severities to merchanting and someone like cheese is just a plain scammer imo compared to someone else like zarfot who I dont think uses the same tactics.

For general everyday needs for maxing an account AND equipment something 600m will get you a long way and the rest you can just put more effort into it. 600m isnt that difficult for someone who either monster hunts or hardcore skills imo. Anything more is just unnecessary anyway but if you really want that then you can get rich to get richer yourself just the same as people like cheese did.

Ultimately though yes I disagree alot with merchanting through G.E compared to old merchanting as it seems wrong to me. However the option IS there to use if you want to achieve the same as other people. Its a choice to either monster hunt or hardcore skill compared to merchanting hardcore. Eventually the richer you get the richer and richer you will get. Same and just as possible as others.

I think the OP does have a point. From a conventional standpoint, players with more money and high stats will make exponentially more money than a lower player because the GP/H is so spread out. Concerning merchanting, the old merchanting was real. Now its just GE abuse.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I have played off and on since RS2 was 'new' and I can honestly say this. It is way easier to be rich in todays market than anytime before. Certainly there is a much larger gap between poor and rich today than in say 2005. But still most the items that people 'need' or generally want are easily affordable to anyone with a little bit of determination. The divine shields and such are the best of the best in terms of shields, but they are not night and day in terms of your other options. With the DFS or even really affordable shields like the obby shield/dragon square, etc. offer close enough defensive bonuses that it doesnt make much of a difference.

I was lucky to come out with making a million a week back in early years of runescape, now as said you can often times do it in an hour, practically everyone can easily do it in a day at the least. That means if you have some determination that means you can easily save up to get dragon claws within a month, or any godsword in two months maybe a little more for Amardyl's.

Just saying... Sounds more like a rant to me, as for the rares well they made a mistake when they released them, thats why new holiday items are not tradable. Only true discussion value here (and its discussed often enough other places), but how can we stop this inflation on rares without ruining the rare market or ruining the experience for people who have rares.

Please Visit my Blog!

sig.jpg

- Experienced Monster Hunter - Forced Retirement Staker - Privite Chat is always ON -

1 Draconic Visage 26 Dragon Drops 1 GWD Drops 17 DK Drops 13 Coinshared Items

I agree with you there. This is probably all thanks to a trade limit silly JaGeX

Bingo. When we had a completely free market everything was good... The rich now control the prices; Albeit there were A LOT of botters. Botters in Runescape are like the illegal aliens in America, yeah they take up all the trees and mines but they do it FAR more efficiently and more often which keeps the prices of resources down which in turn gives the poor a helping hand in raising their skills capable of creating money.

There are still a lot of botters today, they're just not as obvious because it's harder to sell money (their whole point) so they have to be careful. Chinese farmers don't want to make a bunch of 'Bob' accounts because they'll be banned with the quickness before they can xfer that money.

These days Chinese sweatshops have to rely more on actual people because of how careful they need to be. Which is good or bad I'm sure Jagex put more sweatshop workers out of business than they have now which can also be good or bad. What people don't realize is that there's not much choice, and the little choices these people have they would rather work in a sweatshop because In some cases it's either sweatshop or prostitution.

Anyway, there's not much you can do at this point. Jagex just have to keep cranking out more ways to make money which is easy because it's their game and they can literally create anything they want within it. As far as the economy goes the only reason why things are cheap is because of the underground black markets.

There's a fundamental flaw with most people's thinking here. While it may be easier to make money, many items prices have inflated so much (Due in part to high-end activities that produce a lot of cash, meaning those people who do them have more cash to use then those who don't) that it offsets the fact that it's easier to make money.

I find it pathetic that people talk about cheesy and those that started these merchant clans and describe them in any positive light, essentially what they create is a mini pryamid scheme in the fact they invest first in a supposed item, then tell others to keep investing, and word spreads, prices rise, and when they want to cash in there profit they sell out from the market and the people who bought the item/s last lose millions whilst they of course make those millions. It is essentially scamming and is total manipulation of a market that was created to hopefully make trading easier for everday players.

And to the players that say "oh your not rich because you lazy" its a game for crying out loud, just becasuse you dont have 200b doesnt make you lazy that is an unfair slur on the original poster.

On topic the biggest change in recent years has been the increasing incomes from certain activities, i have played off an on since around 03 and alot has changed in that time, but for maxed players monster hunting nowdays incomes can be around 6m/hr from td's where even only 3 years ago it would have been less that half that, with the introduction of summoning, sennisten prayers, overloads and now chaotic weapons it becomes more efficient to kill monsters at high levels, therfore the higher your level the quicker the money will flow in, so basically high levels make money faster and that is where the disparity comes in.

pocket_0aces.png

What pisses me of even more is people who complain about being poor and do nothing about it.

What the hell do you want, a stimulus package? THIS IS A GAME. Get over it.

"The smart get richer, the stupid get poorer."

Nailed it

clansig7.gif

The richest players in runescape have either been on the cutting edge of a new update that allowed them to take advantage of a new high priced item (the first to 85 slayer when whips originally went for 60+mil and were then stable at around 30 mil for quite awhile) or started hoarding rares when they were introduced. Now, i'm an old school player my original account is #58 on the first 2k to register for rs (superman3434) however i didn't seriously start playing rs until 02ish, and have rarely used superman3434. And yet i'm not super-rich, you know why? Because most people who started back then and still play are in their low to mid 20's putting them in their pre-teen years when rs started. Not too many pre-teens thought that 9-10 years later they would still be playing this game and that they should hoard discontinued items, until of course party hats started to become valuable and then by the time masks and santas were dropped everyone kept them. For being an "old school" player i only have around 600 mil that is actually from lower rares that i kept back when they were dropped, but it would have been incredibly easy for my account to be worth billions if i had collected rares when they were near worthless. I still remember selling santas/masks the day after the drop for 50k each.

There is a level of rich held by people with accounts like mine that just so happened to keep rares that could have never been obtained by normal means except through staking, and now more recently with monster hunting being such a primary way to make GP and manipulation clans, it has become much more possible to reach this level of uber-rich. Think of it this way, in 2005-07 You basically had to grind your way to 300milish to buy a party hat with much slower money makign methods and without many "lucky" drops that could make you instantly richer, now-a-days, a player can make millions just from doing dailies and farm runs if you add a fairly average money making method to that even with a 4-5 hour playing time it isn't unreasonable to make 10 mill a day. Also, if one were so inclined to become "uber-rich" he could do dailies to make easy, quick gp and continually farm the corp until he gets a divine. With ONE lucky drop from a boss it is now possible to obtain a party hat. Never before in the history of runescape has it been possible to obtain the status of owning a party with one simple drop from a monster.

pandapk2.jpg

With ONE lucky drop from a boss it is now possible to obtain a party hat. Never before in the history of runescape has it been possible to obtain the status of owning a party with one simple drop from a monster.

I agree. Even if Divine managed to catch back up towards higher end partyhats, I would refuse to trade my green for one because its simply not worth it.

I heavily prefer the chaotic shield which can be obtained by leveling up a skill to 80 and/or earning 200k tokens from a skill....too easy.....Chaotic shields

unique ability to reduce up to 10% melee and 20% range, having at least 30+ in every def bonus, and the attack bonus.... who wouldn't pick that over

a prayer draining shield with the limited 30% melee drain and its mediocre stats? :mellow:

And to the players that say "oh your not rich because you lazy" its a game for crying out loud, just becasuse you dont have 200b doesnt make you lazy that is an unfair slur on the original poster.

How's this for a counterargument: It's a game for crying out loud, it doesn't matter if someone has more fake money than you. OP deserves the slur for complaining about something that is entirely in his/her control.

How's this for a counterargument: It's a game for crying out loud, it doesn't matter if someone has more fake money than you. OP deserves the slur for complaining about something that is entirely in his/her control.

Bro, merchanting and farming and dailies ARE lazy money.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.