Save the old Runescape websites!

meili

Though I just talked to you, I wanted to reply here in support of this post.

This is the internet, and I am well aware that copying content has become somewhat accepted. However, the least anyone can do is to credit sources when they are known. Show support for the people providing the content, rather than taking the credit yourself. Links to the original is definitely encouraged.

Admittedly, this is not possible in all cases. Some times the source may genuinely be unknown, at which point the best idea is probably to be upfront and admit such rather than passing it off as your own. Also in some cases the original website may no longer be online, but you should still try to credit the source where it is known.

Old History should be preserved!

Great topic, lots of memories.

Indeed, RS has a unique history of its own and that does need to be preserved. Sadly, it is not being preserved, atleast not with complete accuracy.

I'm kind of amazed that anyone could have missed the point of your post. Plagiarism -- internet or not -- is bad. I hope you find the support you need. :thumbup: Have you tried emailing the administrators of the newer sites and asking them to provide citations for their content? It's a worth a shot.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Thanks for these. I've archived them on my computer because I used to play back then with all my friends, so I like to see these things for some nostalgic feelings :)

No_Foo.png

Oh thats right, its Runescape. We dont play skills to have fun. We do it to sit in a bank and grind away, seeing who can do it the longest.

Aww my fond memories of RS1.... I had a site and still have the offline webpages for a clan i was the leader of called the Red Barons I remember making it before we had rune plates when rune chain was the best chest gear.... Its funny i was looking at the fisherman guy who got black holed and that reminded me that I started playing RS before there was even fish to be caught lol.... Im hoping one day ill be the longest active player on runescape having never gone more then a week without playing since the beginning of 2001... Its my only hope of internet fame hahaha...

The way I see the old websites should die out. If they are not being updated and all there content is on newer sites what is the point of the old websites? I don't mean to be mean and say that the old websites are bad or anything its just if the new websites have the old information and are being updated they are better then the old web sites.

If new websites have the old information, thats fine, but thats not the point, the point was that the new websites are not giving credit or sources to the original websites. I have hundreds if not thousands of pictures from rsc that I choose not to upload for this very reason. Many including bugs that most new players never knew existed.

If it's history it is a good addition to new updated content but unless people are looking for just the old history it is not necessary to have an old outdated site.

Would you feel comfortable with saying that If a popular car sales/information website had thousands of images and historic information detailing a classic car, that having classic cars still in existence would be useless or not necessary? The more websites such as these that disappears the more players will forget what fansites evolved and developed from.

I agree that it is blatant plagiarism but in the age of the internet plagiarism is a lot more common and therefore not as evil.

Because plagiarism is more common it is not therefore not as evil? So.. by your standards if murders became more common does that mean there no longer as evil? I'm sorry, but in my opinion that is a very sad way of thinking.

I do not reply to very many topics that I read here, but I do follow many topics and I've been playing Runescape since I was invited for its first Beta. History in my opinion is important, and if wasn't for Runescape's history, it would not be as good as it is now.

siayer_katie.png

I'm surprised that Tip It posters would support massive copying and plagiarism when Tip It is one of the oldest sources of information on RS history.

Are you saying that I can just go and copy all the old guides from this website and it's fine?

This isn't really the place to complain about copyright infringement, if something was copy/pasted from your website without permission or attribution then file a DMCA notice.

Anyways, since this is posted on Tip.It's forum I have to ask, are you accusing Tip.It of plagiarism?

Supporting the awareness of old websites is analogous to supporting world history sites and national parks, in the Runescape dimension. Here are places where the history of this game are preserved as a direct resource - people who experienced the events. Transferring (especially uncredited) the information to another site loses the direct quality, and while the information may be literally copy and pasted, who is to say that without sources? Disregarding the necessity would be similar to taking all the artifacts from sites like Persepolis or the Pyramids and placing them into museums, where they are more accessible. Such an act does not take into account the value of direct experience.

Plus, there's an aesthetic quality to the old sites. Maybe it's nostalgia, but old geocities sites will always have a nature far more akin to how I remember the internet, and not how web 2.0 has made it. Think about the 13-year-olds, who are coming of age with facebook. Kind of hard for them to understand how different the web was, and Runescape sites might be one of the ways to preserve such a knowledge, even if it seems rudimentary and uninteresting compared to youtube.

signature.png

ladymedusa wedding page was created by XxCav as well pictures taken...i have alot more of pictures from that wedding but they not released.

Also i try to find if i have info for samppa site so i can update it with other pictures later i was just quickly made it few years ago.

i think you should also add this in your list since its been long time in net and its also part of rsc history http://www.saunalahti.fi/sniper4/

(i find it funny to see that one of highest skill total bonebreaker6 trying to trade with those hackers) :P

They are un-used for a reason.

Notice how tip.it, runehq, zybez etc are all from the early 2000's when rs launched but they are still top of the game?

Its because they are good.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the support and the replies. Nice links, too. I laughed at some of the really old pictures and the people in it.

Huzzah, I kinda play. Like, very rarely. I was online when i was writing the first post here and within 5 minutes of logging in someone was already asking me to finger his h... *cough* nvm. Same old RS!

http://games.infoseka.lt/

Made by xx_jut_xx, an old pker.

The main thing on this website is that it has information about the dupe, from the people who actually did it

http://games.infoseka.lt/scamming.html

Levon.png Bladewing.png

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

i understand your point but if you are that serious about your screenshots and pictures you could always just put a watermark or something of the like on them

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

• 2 weeks later...

after 3-4 years i have now updated my site some: http://samppa.ifastnet.com/

I will add more when i get in my other backup hdds

Great!

The main thing on this website is that it has information about the dupe, from the people who actually did it

Yes, exactly. It's best to get info from the people who actually were there rather to quote third-hand sources.

They are un-used for a reason.

Notice how tip.it, runehq, zybez etc are all from the early 2000's when rs launched but they are still top of the game?

Its because they are good.

So you're saying that because you're the best means that you don't have to show respect to the ones below you? The respect they deserve.

If you look at wikipedia, you see that every fact in every text has a source, if not, it is required and there is a mark asking for it, otherwise there is a clear statement that the information is not proved.

In many of the RS sites the only informed "source" is the websites developement team, and the only credits in the text are to the people who wrote the actual guide. Runewiki doesn't ask for sources and there are hardly any marked, even though there are many "fun facts" and bugs for different items and events. So even if you don't see it right away, even the best sites have history in them. With history we are able to understand the present, and maybe knowing the past could help us make decisions for the future, and help make this game even better.

Of course we are talking about a game, but still... The way i see it that a part of being the best is showing the rispect to the ones that deserve it.

It's nothing to do with showing respect - it's just the fact that the best websites live on and grow. Look at search engines, Google has overtaken every other English language search engine overwhelmingly. For a very good reason, it's better than the competition. So, if you need something, you don't suddenly decide to go 'Oh, I'll use Bing or Yahoo to show respect, even though these sites are inferior.'

People will go to the sites they see as the best. Of course there's nothing wrong with other sites out there - I'm just explaining.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

And the truth comes out.

I was not aware that the truth was hidden. It's all laid out in black and white here.

If you look at wikipedia, you see that every fact in every text has a source, if not, it is required and there is a mark asking for it, otherwise there is a clear statement that the information is not proved.

That's how it should be.

Meh, I guess some people are too immature to know about giving credit where credit is due and not screwing over other people by stealing their stuff.

http://www.bruceongames.com/2009/08/18/exclusive-andrew-gower-interview/

Now, that website is the original source for the Andrew Gower interview that was posted by all the RS websites. Note the comments:

I’m not sure if you care about fair use, but this site is quoting your whole interview here:

http://www.zybez.net/community/index.php?showtopic=1287199&st=0&p=11817226entry11817226

They link to you at the bottom, but only after showing the entire interview.

Also, the lead in on their main page: http://www.zybez.net, made me assume it was their interview.

Thanks bk

They aren’t the only ones: http://es.gamernook.com/news/view/post/58245/

Several sites seem to think that it is OK to breach my copyright like this. It happens to most of my articles. Which, I suppose, is quite flattering.

i can see the point your talking about

but the old website as u say from 2001-2004 have very old information that it wont be useful for you or for anyone who plays at the moment otherwise i dont think this is a big deal..

because i dont see old websites growing as now it has been thrown 80% of the websites ur talking about are now un-active for real!

so there is only way to recover this

this information and website must be sent to jagex team so they might look about it if they like some info or history or ideas from 2003 or something then they might use this info for a great use !

like saving it or update it to better ideas then release it as a runescape update

but i dont think this might work

o_espil.png