Skill vs combat

TheSpecialOne

Frankly, skills really aren't needed for anything other than raising total levels

But that's because there are people who do skill

Haha. Good point. But as long as there are people skilling, I will just buy all the stuff I need in the GE and let other people gather food and herbs and whatnot.

This. Skilling exists to support combat. Combat is superior to skilling in every way. It's more fun, more money, and more social (or antisocial, depending on how you do it).

Skilling seems a lot more social to me then combat, atleast for slayer.

Slaying is usualy very quiet, then someone gets a good drop and some will grats that person.

Then it goes quiet again.

Although I agree that skilling is more sociable (And thus, more fun to certain people) the comment of slayer being very quiet is usually very void.

There are lets see, 2 maybe 3 tasks where there aren't usually people chatting away. Greater demons, as I seem to be the only player who doesnt routinely skip them, blue dragons as they are generally quiet, and spiritual mages as you need a world alone to be efficient.

Anything else I do there is usually 1-4 people nearby, that if you spark conversation, will chat away. Majority of my friends list if full of people that I met whilst slaying.

Personally I find combat more domanant. Heres a few reasons:

* It raises your only visible level

* Allowes more fancy outfits than say, a level 3 skiller is able to use

* More profitable than ANY non-combat skill

* Generally more entertaining. You can't really use talking as something that makes skilling better. There are clans, and plus times when you are alone on your favourite skill. Although its a matter of opinion, it IS undeniable that the majority of the players take a keener interest in combat than skilling.

* It is (In the case of high level monsters) more challenging

combat! lol

i only train 3 skills nowdays

slayer

dungeoneering

cooking =D

it is the best way to make money non merchanting.....bosses frost dragons even slayer is decent.

StarViv.png

Well I do like combat it just gets boring and I find range the most fun but can't train it coz I want to join some clan wars clans but they all like 110+ cb and range doesn't lvl cb much :(

Also how is combat good money? It's all luck it's not a guaranteed god income like skills do because drop rates change and like at Abby demons, 1 whip every 1.5k kills ain't that good in my books.

Combat = bosses. TDs, Bandos, DKs, Sara, Armadyl are the "best" money making methods in game atm. The whip drop rate is generally accepted as 1/450, It doesn't change, ever, this also doesn't mean you will get a whip every 450th kill, it means that every time you kill an Abbysal demon you have a .00222...% chance of getting a whip. Frost dragons are well over 2m gp/hour, and that is guaranteed. Barrows is also 1m gp/hour.

I don't know of any skill that can make more than 1m/hour, and still be somewhat entertaining.

Yea but I like range but doesn't lvl cb so I dump weather to manly lvl range or melee what u think?

Braggouk.png

Range DOES level combat, it just has to be your highest combat stat to do so.

Most clans are willing to make concessions with the fact that your combat is based off range. If the requirements to get in the clan are said to be 90/90 melees, and you have 95 range, you'll most likely get in despite the fact that you'll have a considerably lower combat level than those with 90/90.

I think there's a very clear divide in the types of people that skill and people that do combat.

Skillers tend to be more community-oriented and are more "casual" about the game. They are the players you see talking about random things in CC's, and who talk to each other while skilling.

Combat-oriented players tend to be more competitive and "serious" about the game.

It's not my right to say that one is, in absolute terms, better than the other. It's a matter of personal preference.

But with that said, I personally prefer combat. And I would prefer a community that is more combat-oriented. I am of the opinion that an MMO should be more competitive and less community oriented. Also, I think it's hard (but doable) to interact with people online who you will likely never see in real life.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I think the best player is a combination of both. I was in the 600s to 99 summoning and I've been 138 combat ever since. I maxed out just after GWD was released. That's coming up on 3 years where I've been maxed in combat or close to it. Sure, bossing is fun sometimes, but with better gear and no new boss monsters it's quite boring to kill the same thing in 5-6 hour trips (if I can even stay online that long).

Skills are therefore the only way I'm able to level up. I love playing Barbarian Assault (which is partially combat), which allows me to train agility and mining quickly. The same goes for Stealing Creation which gave me quite a few Sacred Clay hammers. Past that, I like being able to open up Youtube/online TV shows/movies and watch them while still playing RuneScape. That's something you just can't do at TDs (where 1534 kills have left me emptyhanded). Basically, skilling allows me to see some progress while bossing (the only form of combat left to me) gives none.

Slayer does provide a mix, but with limited effect, and with effigies it's intertwined to skilling now. The advantage clearly lies with those who have the stats in the low 90s to take advantage of free effigy exp.

My exp/hour rate (total exp divided by total hours in A-log) is 49k, and I expect that to rise to over 50k soon. That's even including a score of 640 on the Castle Wars highscores which equates to hundreds of extra hours. I have little respect for the players who've logged more than 10000 hours but still have substandard skills and a mildly rich bank. As sseli said, MMOs should be first about scores/accomplishments and then communities based around those.

Combat does rule, it just doesn't take very long to reach the limits of what it can provide.

2496 Completionist

I like a mixture. Lately I have quite enjoyed combat due to the better gp/hr that I can achieve slaying and monster hunting. I figure when I do max slayer and all my combat stats I will work on skills more.

Low_C.png

I think the best player is a combination of both. I was in the 600s to 99 summoning and I've been 138 combat ever since. I maxed out just after GWD was released. That's coming up on 3 years where I've been maxed in combat or close to it. Sure, bossing is fun sometimes, but with better gear and no new boss monsters it's quite boring to kill the same thing in 5-6 hour trips (if I can even stay online that long).

Skills are therefore the only way I'm able to level up. I love playing Barbarian Assault (which is partially combat), which allows me to train agility and mining quickly. The same goes for Stealing Creation which gave me quite a few Sacred Clay hammers. Past that, I like being able to open up Youtube/online TV shows/movies and watch them while still playing RuneScape. That's something you just can't do at TDs (where 1534 kills have left me emptyhanded). Basically, skilling allows me to see some progress while bossing (the only form of combat left to me) gives none.

Slayer does provide a mix, but with limited effect, and with effigies it's intertwined to skilling now. The advantage clearly lies with those who have the stats in the low 90s to take advantage of free effigy exp.

My exp/hour rate (total exp divided by total hours in A-log) is 49k, and I expect that to rise to over 50k soon. That's even including a score of 640 on the Castle Wars highscores which equates to hundreds of extra hours. I have little respect for the players who've logged more than 10000 hours but still have substandard skills and a mildly rich bank. As sseli said, MMOs should be first about scores/accomplishments and then communities based around those.

Combat does rule, it just doesn't take very long to reach the limits of what it can provide.

+1 well said... i agree completely... I love skilling and watching online tv. Megavideo ftw!

I am 43800 exp / hour played myself. I am sure i can get that to 50k seeing as how i only have easy skills left.

Fools_Taco.png

Combat = bosses. TDs, Bandos, DKs, Sara, Armadyl are the "best" money making methods in game atm. The whip drop rate is generally accepted as 1/450, It doesn't change, ever, this also doesn't mean you will get a whip every 450th kill, it means that every time you kill an Abbysal demon you have a .00222...% chance of getting a whip

1/450=0.0022=0.22%, not that incredibly low rate you were talking about.

OT: Strangely, I seem to enjoy powerleveling skills, but I also like combat. take out any of these aspects, and I'd probably stop playing.

WarBlastoise.png

Skills are funnier in my opinion. Even though I enjoy combat too, especially range, skills are more varied and there are so many different ways to use them! Combat is just all about going killing monsters. It can get quite boring in the long run in my opinion. Sure, you need to be tactical when you fight boss monsters, but usually when you fight in RuneScape you just need to click once on whatever you want to fight, perhaps eat some food and then wait.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I used to like skilling but wasn't really going anywhere with it. Tried out boss hunting and other combat things, and loved it. Preferred combat since then, but I still love to skill. Although my favourite skills are pretty much all buyables :thumbup:

4sDIn.png