I GOT IN TO UNIVERSITY

NickCini

UK university seems pretty stressful. Here in Canada Quebec universities have all access to our grades online (I'm not sure if they have elementary school grades, they probably do) and all you have to do is click a couple of buttons on their internet site (and pay them 30$) to apply. I think the only truly hard thing to get into over here in med school, and I know some chowderheads that still got in :rolleyes:

BUT CONGRATS! Cheers to the future :thumbup:

hiccup.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit curious, how does the university system work in the UK or where else? In the US we take our SATs or ACT our senior year of high school (yr 12 of school) send those to which ever schools we apply to along with a transcript and a month or two later receive a acceptance or denial letter.

And also just as a scale, typically we start elementary at 6 years old, junior high at 11 years old, high school at 14 years old, and college at 18 years old. I'm also curious to know how the system works over der too

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

COngrats at OP for not only getting into college, but for deciding (I'm assuming ofc) on a major.

FYI, we have to choose a major before we go to university over here in the UK aka we can't go undeclared and in fact if you don't get accepted for your subject then you don't get accepted at all.

COngrats at OP for not only getting into college, but for deciding (I'm assuming ofc) on a major.

I feel like a foreigner in here.

"Why are people so excited about getting a C on a test? :-P "

Over here a C is actually not a bad result, granted the top flight universities wont take you with them preferring As or the newly added A*s. Basically a C in UK a levels is harder to obtain than a C in the US grading systems, or so I experience on an exchange trip in PA

I'm a bit curious, how does the university system work in the UK or where else? In the US we take our SATs or ACT our senior year of high school (yr 12 of school) send those to which ever schools we apply to along with a transcript and a month or two later receive a acceptance or denial letter.

Our Junior and Senior year are split from the rest and both count towards one final grade, your "A level". However, at the end of your junior year you're given an AS level, which is used by Uni's to predict how wel you will do and are then given offers based around these and other circumstances. You can hold five offers from varying univerisites, naturally varying in requirements.

You then short list two a "firm" and an "insurnace", typically one of which is lower so that if you miss your first requirement at the end of your senior year you can still go to university.

The OP recieved his grades (2 months after school finishes as exams are makred nationally by external bodies) which matched either his firm or his insurance and therefore he is given a place.

Therefore, in the UK in most circumstances our offers are conditional upon A2 results (the combined years) and so there's an awful lot of pressure.

Hope this has helped

Oh an congratulations OP I go into Manchester with A*AB today :)

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

You complete lower school normally at the age of 12 ending it with a CITO test, scores range from 500-550 (idk why) if you get 500 you must have done it on purpose because the whole test is multiple choice. After the test the teacher advises you what high school to attend, normally only three school types are advised, VMBO HAVO and VWO. VMBO being for dumb people, HAVO for like normal people and VWO for smart people. If you have some disorder which makes you extra dumb i guess you can go a bit lower too. You graduate from high school in either 4, 5 or 6 years and after that you can do a scientific study if you did VWO, applied study if you did HAVO and if you did VMBO you probably are already working like a car mechanic or something.

And i think the university system is the usual Bachelor->Master system.

EDIT: Location is The Netherlands ofc.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Checked UCAS today... "The current status of your Application is: Congratulations! Your place at The University of Salford (S03) to study Computer Science (G400) has been confirmed."

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Providing that's right, I just gotta get my results now! Going down in 20 mins. I'm actually kinda nervous really. If I don't get into University, I'm going to spend my life in a crappy job and living in council houses for the rest of my life :unsure:

I know a guy who does that course at that uni.

Steve, it goes like this;

In England, Our compulsory education (High school) ends at age 16. We leave with qualifications called GCSEs. (General secondary ceritificate of eduction.) After this, most people choose to go on for another two years at a Sixth form college to study A levels. People usually do 3-4 A levels across the 2 Years.

At the start of your second year of Sixth form, You have to apply to up to 5 univerisites / courses. The universities can then either reject your application, or give you an unconditional or conditional offer. Unconditional means that you're in, regardless of how you do in your exams, conditional offers rest on your A level results. (Today is results day.)

From your (up to) 5 offers, you then have to choose a Firm choice and an insurance choice. If you fail to meet the grades for your Firm choice, you can then go to your insurance.

If you fail to meet the criteria for either of your choices, you can enter something called clearing, where all the universities put up a list of open spaces on their courses, and you can re-apply for one of these. This year, these have been in very short supply.

Pretty much all of this process is done through a central online system called UCAS TRACK. You do all of your applications through this one system, not seperately to each school. It also integrates with the student loans system, and sorts the vast majority of the paperwork and details out for you, which is especially helpful if things don't go as planned.

Right, ok.

I GOT IN!!! Got ABB in Maths, Biology, Physics.

York, Computer Science w/ Artificial intelligence, 4 years MEng.

Tk5SF.png

Maths A

ICT A D

Physics B

French C

Further maths D (took that one as an extra after school for "fun")

Got declined by both my firm and insurance because my ICT teacher didn't submit my coursework for this year, halving my grade. Clearing isn't even fun! :cry:

screenshot041aoj0.jpg

In the UK, Our compulsory education (High school) ends at age 16. We leave with qualifications called GCSEs. (General secondary ceritificate of eduction.) After this, most people choose to go on for another two years at a Sixth form college to study A levels. People usually do 3-4 A levels across the 2 Years.

In England and Wales, not the UK as a whole. Scotland and Northern Ireland both have systems of their own.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Congrats to everyone. :thumbup:

Filling in the student loan and bursary forms (assuming it's a similar system in England as it is in Scotland) is the next big headache.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

In the UK, Our compulsory education (High school) ends at age 16. We leave with qualifications called GCSEs. (General secondary ceritificate of eduction.) After this, most people choose to go on for another two years at a Sixth form college to study A levels. People usually do 3-4 A levels across the 2 Years.

In England and Wales, not the UK as a whole. Scotland and Northern Ireland both have systems of their own.

you're right, of course. Changed my original post :P

Tk5SF.png

Lol, in NZ, I don't think they check your marks, I'm pretty sure as long as pass your last year, you pretty much get University Entrance.

Yeah, it's way too easy I think, it means you end up with tonnes of morons in first year classes, and some that manage to scrape through to second year...

rosssigfinal.jpg

Congrats to everyone. :thumbup:

Filling in the student loan and bursary forms (assuming it's a similar system in England as it is in Scotland) is the next big headache.

Indeed. I hope everybody is prepared for months of stress, sending and receiving numerous peices of identification and income certification, lost mail and many phone calls with Northern Irish employees.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

^ Whoa there, not all universities are that easy to get into. Most state schools and trade schools only care if you have money, but there are a LOT that are still pretty selective. University of Florida's a state school but it's been getting tougher to get into because every Floridian and their mother wants to be a Gator. Then there's the obvious MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.

wl7w9j.png

Checked UCAS today... "The current status of your Application is: Congratulations! Your place at The University of Salford (S03) to study Computer Science (G400) has been confirmed."

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Providing that's right, I just gotta get my results now! Going down in 20 mins. I'm actually kinda nervous really. If I don't get into University, I'm going to spend my life in a crappy job and living in council houses for the rest of my life :unsure:

I might be at salford to study aeronautical engineering this year =]

Veni vidi vici

I came, I saw, I conquered

Current Username : Bludclart

FYI, we have to choose a major before we go to university over here in the UK aka we can't go undeclared and in fact if you don't get accepted for your subject then you don't get accepted at all.

Whaaaaa I'd hate that. I have a general idea, but I'm going to take some prelimary classes in each study to see which I like best. But you are allowed to change majors... right?

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Congrats all who got in! Life starts at uni :)

Whaaaaa I'd hate that. I have a general idea, but I'm going to take some prelimary classes in each study to see which I like best. But you are allowed to change majors... right?

You have to start again.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

Thats just plain ridiculous. No wonder britain is the way it is... ;)

Seriously though. Thats [developmentally delayed]ed. Even more glad I live in America now.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Seriously though. Thats [developmentally delayed]ed. Even more glad I live in America now.

How is it [developmentally delayed]ed? :blink:

Makes sense to me.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

How is it [developmentally delayed]ed? :blink:

Makes sense to me.

I thought we all understood Saru is just a [bleep]ing troll when it comes to anything non-American related.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg