4 New Additions

Glad to hear new stuff is up and running. :thumbsup:

Sadly, I won't be able to get in on TeamSpeak, so I'll wish you all the best of fun on that. ;)

As for Polls, I'm glad to hear they're available, but I don't know when I'll actually have major need of it. :mellow:

Now, I'm additionally glad to hear also that file size limits (and dimension limits for signatures) have been increased on avatars and signatures. However, the number of characters for an Avatar Image URL needs to be upped from 80 to 120. (At a dead minimum... I'd personally recommend 160, or even as much as a 255 absolute maximum for what it should be increased to.) I am currently unable to change my avatar without permanent loss of ability to use my current avatar at a later time, as the current URL is upwards of 100 characters. (And I don't even remember how I got it in there the first time!) :(

Finally, there's the Display Names. Unluckily, you're not allowing spaces/periods, so I can't make my "D_V_Devnull" look like a nicer-feeling "D. V. Devnull"... I really hope you'll add spaces/periods to the allowed characters sometime soon. :unsure:

Here's to looking forward to a bright future for Tip.It Forums! |^_^|

~Mr. D. V. "You've just about got the formula right... Two mere technical issues to fix, IMO." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I'm additionally glad to hear also that file size limits (and dimension limits for signatures) have been increased on avatars and signatures. However, the number of characters for an Avatar Image URL needs to be upped from 80 to 120. (At a dead minimum... I'd personally recommend 160, or even as much as a 255 absolute maximum for what it should be increased to.) I am currently unable to change my avatar without permanent loss of ability to use my current avatar at a later time, as the current URL is upwards of 100 characters. (And I don't even remember how I got it in there the first time!) :(

You can always save your avatar to your computer and upload it to another image hosting site. :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

You can always save your avatar to your computer and upload it to another image hosting site. :)

Just rechecked my avatar's image URL after coming to see your reply... 94 Characters. I wonder why PhotoBucket temporarily added a 16 character time stamp parameter... :-k

Anyway, now that I've seen that, I could settle with an increase to a limit of 120. (I felt like 255 was far too ridiculous anyway.) This brings me to my next thought, which is...

"Why should I have to upload to another site, when I already have a PhotoBucket account? Why effectively snub ALL registered PhotoBucket users in this regard?"

...and I'm rather sure was never your intent? Can it really be that much of a problem to adjust a limit number in order to accommodate everyone who has a registered (and/or well-organized) PhotoBucket account? I can't see any reason to leave anyone out, and a field of reason to change it to include everyone. IMHO, it would honestly take a lot more work to upload to another service and re-link from them, than it would to just change a single solitary URL character limit number, because each person who would have to do that would also have to track their image for a myriad of reasons. For that matter, I don't see any good reason that someone who has an account with one image host should ever have to get an image hosting account with another. It would be overkill, to be honest. :blink:

~D. V. "All you have to do is change one thing to save everyone a lot of pain." Devnull

(p.s.: I didn't mean for this post to come out sounding so scathing and/or adversarial. Sorry.)

======================================================================

Since the following was posted, I guess I have to reply to it as well...

http://u.snelhest.org/i/2010/08/25_1487.jpg

Here is 43 character link to your avatar.

Enjoy.

Kaur, all that solution happens to do is cause an insane issue with tracking. What if, unlike PhotoBucket, they go down? Or just flat stop hosting the image for some reason I'm unaware of? For me, it isn't even a matter of loyalty to one image host. As you should be able to see, the mere tracking issues are a nightmare on their own. And don't even make me go into personal data issues with what you've just done. <_<

~D. V. "Do you like being a pain or something?" Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Just rechecked my avatar's image URL after coming to see your reply... 94 Characters. I wonder why PhotoBucket temporarily added a 16 character time stamp parameter... :-k

Anyway, now that I've seen that, I could settle with an increase to a limit of 120. (I felt like 255 was far too ridiculous anyway.) This brings me to my next thought, which is...

"Why should I have to upload to another site, when I already have a PhotoBucket account? Why effectively snub ALL registered PhotoBucket users in this regard?"

...and I'm rather sure was never your intent? Can it really be that much of a problem to adjust a limit number in order to accommodate everyone who has a registered (and/or well-organized) PhotoBucket account? I can't see any reason to leave anyone out, and a field of reason to change it to include everyone. IMHO, it would honestly take a lot more work to upload to another service and re-link from them, than it would to just change a single solitary URL character limit number, because each person who would have to do that would also have to track their image for a myriad of reasons. For that matter, I don't see any good reason that someone who has an account with one image host should ever have to get an image hosting account with another. It would be overkill, to be honest. :blink:

~D. V. "All you have to do is change one thing to save everyone a lot of pain." Devnull

(p.s.: I didn't mean for this post to come out sounding so scathing and/or adversarial. Sorry.)

Not all PhotoBucket users are affected by this. For instance, you could reduce the length of your URL by renaming the image itself. The name of your image is "20080506_vts_avvy_4_tipit.jpg" That alone adds on many characters. There are plenty of users who use PhotoBucket successfully to host their avatars. A user from this very thread has a PhotoBucket avatar with a URL that is only 60 characters.

Secondly, you do not necessarily have to an account with another hosting site. There are many image hosting sites that do not require you to create an account (ImageShack, which I use, and I think [Censored for time being]).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

<*Looks at Tripsis post after his previous one, and gives up even though it will mean more trouble.*>

I guess I'm going to have to do something totally organization-blowing with it inside of my PhotoBucket, then. *facepalm* :wall:

~D. V. "Why is there always a dead wall I run into?" Devnull

===============================================

Late Note:

71 characters... best I can do... <*heads for avatar changer to fix the issue*>

My photobucket avatar is 55 characters and I could downsize it to 51

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Went to try out teamspeak, no one was there. I was hoping a there'd be a bunch of people so I could just lurk lol. Oh well.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Went to try out teamspeak, no one was there. I was hoping a there'd be a bunch of people so I could just lurk lol. Oh well.

Meh. I doubt it will be too popular at first. It'll start with Admins and Crewbies. Then the Mods will go in. Then TET. Then the regular users.

I just noticed something else with this update, something awesome. The post-login redirect is now working in FireFox 2.0.0.x-series browsers. Well done, Tip.It Staff! :thumbsup:

~D. V. "Liking the working redirect!" Devnull

(p.s.: Still waiting on spaces & periods for Display Names. LOL :P ...)

Guest Mrmegakirby
Must have 0 posts.

I don't suppose this rule can be bent a little, if the account in question had less then 70 posts and was last active over 6 years ago?

Must have 0 posts.

I don't suppose this rule can be bent a little, if the account in question had less then 70 posts and was last active over 6 years ago?

For now I think we're going to stick to those rules :)

Posted Image

what happens to the post of the old acount, are they deleted or just made as 'guest posts'

We are only freeing up names of old accounts that have zero posts and we're not actually deleting any accounts ;)

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

what happens to the post of the old acount, are they deleted or just made as 'guest posts'

We are only freeing up names of old accounts that have zero posts and we're not actually deleting any accounts ;)

What if the user's post count displays as having made 6 posts, but it appears all the posts are gone (as in, when viewing their profile it says "There are no posts to display" under the topics and posts tab)?

What if the user's post count displays as having made 6 posts, but it appears all the posts are gone (as in, when viewing their profile it says "There are no posts to display" under the topics and posts tab)?

Those posts are probably not gone, but just so long ago that the search feature won't find them.

I'd say that kind of thing is really on a case by case basic - try pming an admin.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Unfortunately the number does need to be zero :( Our reason for including post count is that if a user has posted, they have more invested in the community and expressed more interest in being an active contributor.

Posted Image