Dungeoneering: Bindery

Blutters

The best tank binds:

primal long

primal kite

primal plate

4th item could either be a shadowsilk hood or a hexhunter bow.

You'd be better off binding a binding legs over the shield....you can use ANY shield for tank, so you'd just buy a Novite shield from the shop at the start

Also factoring in the fact that most of the things that see you either mage or melee, you'd be better off with a Sag body, since meleers will only get one shot at you as you run through, you could just protect from range, and the Body would protect you from mages.

I'm pretty sure at this point, a tanks binds would be..

Shadow Silk hood

Tyrannoleather body (since sag isn't avaliable yet)

Primal B axe

Not sure for 4th bind

I loled at the above posts. The best defence possible is binding melee armour and protecting from mage. Not only does a leatherbody lower your accuracy, it offers less defence against mage+melee combined than melee armour offers against melee+range combined. Also, primal longsword is rather useless as stab/slash is not a good style combo. Slash/Crush is the ideal - prom/primal 2h if not using a shield, primal battleaxe if you are.

Ideal keying binds would be:

Primal Battleaxe

Hood

100: Promethium/Primal platebody

120: Primal legs

With promethium plate and primal legs, you can get over 400 range defence and comparable melee defence.

Another misconception I've seen is that "it only takes one magic-based creature to make hood useless"

First, here's a list of at least partially magic-based monsters:

-Forgotten Mage

-Necromancer

-Skeleton Mage

-Mysterious Shade

-Animated Book

-Lesser Demon

-Greater Demon

-Black Demon

-Dragons

Only 2 of these monsters can remove your hood. They are fairly common, but do not permeate the entire dungeon as people seem to think. Praying mage through the rest offers 100% protection. Also, the spell wears off quite quickly, so you will only run through a couple more rooms before you get cloaking back. I encourage every hood naysayer to try one out. In all, the hood prevents more damage than any other piece of armour.

2496 Completionist

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't agree with you there, although melee is still somewhat effective against them.

And range is more effective.

Melee is actually the primary option for pretty much all non-boss monsters, it seems.

Because it's easier to use.

Combine it with berserker to make it even better.

That only makes melee better against the things you are supposed to be melee'ing.

If magic really deals damage so fast, then all the pro dungeoneers would choose to mage (which they do not).

This is fairly poor logic. Most people don't mage because mage takes a bit longer to get started up than it does melee. Whereas you just bind a melee weapon and are good to go, you have to make make runes to mage with. For most people, that's unappealing, so they take the road quite frequently traveled.

Plus the fact that occults are out, it makes magic look even more useless. If you really want a staff, purchase some logs and make a fire staff.

Only if you try to mage high level necromancers, books and mages. But that's when you switch to range.

And as I've stated earlier, melee with berserker just adds on with the favoring melee business.

Damage wise, berserker can't compete with blazer, because berserker increases your strength level which indirectly leads to higher hits, while blazer is an extra 50% damage on whatever you hit whenever it activates.

But as OP stated, it will have significantly less magic monsters than the other themes due to this very weakness (less than occult at least). Still, you've got a point, there will still be magic monsters that will annoy you to no end. Still doesn't make the hood useless though.

All it takes is one magic based NPC.

In that case then a sag short doesn't even warrant a bind slot. A smuggler-bought tangle gum shortbow does the job just fine as well, no?

In the same vein that no melee weapon deserves a bind as you can just buy a novite hatchet from the smuggler and use that. Remember, I said low defense, not no range defense.

No matter how you look at it, the hood is STILL worthy for a 2nd bind slot. Ranged/magic just aren't useful enough to warrant themselves early bind slots, as you can just buy the thing until 100 dung.

Popular doesn't make it best. A hood is situational, and gets you hit less so long as there aren't any mage-based monsters around. It doesn't make you more effective versus monsters, though, which is what I deem important. A sag short + sniper and a celestial catalytic + blazer will go a lot further than a hood and any melee weapon will, as a hood + a melee weapon makes you one dimensional.

Except, unlike range/melee, you don't need a staff to mage with. It's easier to just melee most things - the few things that require mage imo, like primal warriors, have such low mage def that you don't really need the staff. I actually tried just maging there, too much of a pain, plus you can't really START out maging since you won't have enough runes. I usually just make a few for high level warriors.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Lol if you want to mage you can easily make a staff, no need to waste a hood/2h bind.

Celestial catalytic staff is necessary for any serious maging. Also you need 99 runecrafting to make an empowered catalytic staff.

Lol if you want to mage you can easily make a staff, no need to waste a hood/2h bind.

Celestial catalytic staff is necessary for any serious maging. Also you need 99 runecrafting to make an empowered catalytic staff.

Ya any serious Mage should be binding that staff (or the highest staff they can) as soon as they get it.

30% damage with Fire surge is 364 + Potion Boosts. Combined with a higher tiered Blitzer Ring, and you can easily have higher DPS than melee. The only problem is magic is more of a "middle-end dungeon" tool since the materials take so long to make.

I am against combat players binding hood's all together because feel like every monster in a room you enter should be killed. For key'ers they are ok to grab keys from DE's, but a combat team should not run through a room and ignore the monsters in it just because it makes the floor slightly faster. So a mage who binds a Melee weapon and then the Highest staff they can gives them a nice balance to the team. They can melee at the start when resources are low, and then mage once enough resources are present (which shouldn't really take more than 5-10 minutes).

Ya any serious Mage should be binding that staff (or the highest staff they can) as soon as they get it.

30% damage with Fire surge is 364 + Potion Boosts. Combined with a higher tiered Blitzer Ring, and you can easily have higher DPS than melee. The only problem is magic is more of a "middle-end dungeon" tool since the materials take so long to make.

I am against combat players binding hood's all together because feel like every monster in a room you enter should be killed. For key'ers they are ok to grab keys from DE's, but a combat team should not run through a room and ignore the monsters in it just because it makes the floor slightly faster. So a mage who binds a Melee weapon and then the Highest staff they can gives them a nice balance to the team. They can melee at the start when resources are low, and then mage once enough resources are present (which shouldn't really take more than 5-10 minutes).

Why should people spend time killing monsters when it's not necessary?

The best tank binds:

primal long

primal kite

primal plate

4th item could either be a shadowsilk hood or a hexhunter bow.

You'd be better off binding a binding legs over the shield....you can use ANY shield for tank, so you'd just buy a Novite shield from the shop at the start

Also factoring in the fact that most of the things that see you either mage or melee, you'd be better off with a Sag body, since meleers will only get one shot at you as you run through, you could just protect from range, and the Body would protect you from mages.

I'm pretty sure at this point, a tanks binds would be..

Shadow Silk hood

Tyrannoleather body (since sag isn't avaliable yet)

Primal B axe

Not sure for 4th bind

I loled at the above posts. The best defence possible is binding melee armour and protecting from mage. Not only does a leatherbody lower your accuracy, it offers less defence against mage+melee combined than melee armour offers against melee+range combined. Also, primal longsword is rather useless as stab/slash is not a good style combo. Slash/Crush is the ideal - prom/primal 2h if not using a shield, primal battleaxe if you are.

Ideal keying binds would be:

Primal Battleaxe

Hood

100: Promethium/Primal platebody

120: Primal legs

With promethium plate and primal legs, you can get over 400 range defence and comparable melee defence.

Another misconception I've seen is that "it only takes one magic-based creature to make hood useless"

First, here's a list of at least partially magic-based monsters:

-Forgotten Mage

-Necromancer

-Skeleton Mage

-Mysterious Shade

-Animated Book

-Lesser Demon

-Greater Demon

-Black Demon

-Dragons

Only 2 of these monsters can remove your hood. They are fairly common, but do not permeate the entire dungeon as people seem to think. Praying mage through the rest offers 100% protection. Also, the spell wears off quite quickly, so you will only run through a couple more rooms before you get cloaking back. I encourage every hood naysayer to try one out. In all, the hood prevents more damage than any other piece of armour.

I think you're underestimating the accuracy of melee/range monsters while wearing melee armor, and over exaggerating the accuracy of magic monsters while wearing range armor. Have you tried running through a room with a tyranno body, and praying range? You're defense against melee monsters is rather irrelevant since they should only be getting one shot on you at the very most.

And what was the point of bringing up the hood/primal long? I already said hood should be second bind, and nowhere did I mention the Longsword.

It's not really the lack of monsters that remove your hood, more so the lack of monsters it actually protects from in the higher floors (and the addition of Necromancers being able to remove it)

Edit: NVM, the longsword comment was directed at the other guy

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Why would Jagex add them in the Rooms in the first place if they weren't meant to be killed? If they wanted to have them act as a challenge to run past they would have just put un-attack-able NPC's that fire lasers across the room and cant be prayed against. It's like going to GWD, killing the boss, and just ignoring all the Minions.

If you play only for XP/Hr that's your thing, but that doesn't mean everyone else should too. IMHO Rushing floors for xp/hr simply makes it a dull skill of grinding xp/hr, when it has the ability to be so much more enjoyable. I'm not talking about clearing dead ends, but normal rooms you run through. If I can clear a solo medium (including clearing dead ends) in ~40 minutes, I don't see why a 5:5 large cant clear a large map (ignoring dead ends) in less than 60 minutes time?

Why would Jagex add them in the Rooms in the first place if they weren't meant to be killed? If they wanted to have them act as a challenge to run past they would have just put un-attack-able NPC's that fire lasers across the room and cant be prayed against. It's like going to GWD, killing the boss, and just ignoring all the Minions.

If you play only for XP/Hr that's your thing, but that doesn't mean everyone else should too. IMHO Rushing floors for xp/hr simply makes it a dull skill of grinding xp/hr, when it has the ability to be so much more enjoyable. I'm not talking about clearing dead ends, but normal rooms you run through. If I can clear a solo medium (including clearing dead ends) in ~40 minutes, I don't see why a 5:5 large cant clear a large map (ignoring dead ends) in less than 60 minutes time?

Firstly, this thread is about maximizing xp/hour for dungeoneering, based on extra binds, hence the arguments againt prom plate. Secondly, lagres are twice as big as mediums and the monsters scale with the number of players, making it not much faster than solo if all rooms are cleared. We've all done a dungeon for fun once but the discussion here is just based upon what can help you finish a dungeon first.

ZMFg2.jpg

It's a dull skill anyway, just like any skill will become dull with grinding it. The fact that you don't rush floors and don't clear dead end rooms just makes you a hypocrite, the monsters are there to make the dungeon harder- the point of dungeoneering is to defeat the boss and end a dungeon as fast as possible getting as much xp as possible- sure, you get a small bonus for killing monsters, but if it's not efficient, there is no point in doing it. In any case, most of the people that complain about rushing are those who are bad at combat, so go figure.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

It's a dull skill anyway, just like any skill will become dull with grinding it. The fact that you don't rush floors and don't clear dead end rooms just makes you a hypocrite, the monsters are there to make the dungeon harder- the point of dungeoneering is to defeat the boss and end a dungeon as fast as possible getting as much xp as possible- sure, you get a small bonus for killing monsters, but if it's not efficient, there is no point in doing it. In any case, most of the people that complain about rushing are those who are bad at combat, so go figure.

1) I don't think it's dull at all. I actually enjoy it. (As long as i'm not rushing)

2) I said I clear everything myself, including dead ends. I also said my argument was not against people who chose to not clear DE's (or people that Key), but those who bind hoods just run by everything in the "main paths" of the dungeon and ignore it to get to the boss as fast as possible. I'm not arguing efficiency. I'm playing Dungeon for fun, not efficiency, so like I said: if you play for XP/HR that's your thing.

3) The OP's point of this thread was to discuss the order items should be binded for each persons individual strategy, not which binds get the best XP/HR. My point was I don't view rushing to the boss and running through every room while having a hood binded very interesting choice of game-play. So I personally (along with everyone else who doesn't rush floors) would not bind a hood for the sole reason to rush floors. If you want to rush, go ahead. I won't stop you from getting the best XP/Hr. But I don't have to agree that rushing is the best choice of game-play, nor is this thread limited to only "efficient rushing binds".

I complain about rushing because I personally don't like doing it, but I've yet to argue about it being inefficient to do so.

I disagree though that the intent jagex had with dungeoneering was "Rush to the Boss ASAP", it's just what players do now because it gives them the best xp/hr

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

I think you're underestimating the accuracy of melee/range monsters while wearing melee armor, and over exaggerating the accuracy of magic monsters while wearing range armor. Have you tried running through a room with a tyranno body, and praying range? You're defense against melee monsters is rather irrelevant since they should only be getting one shot on you at the very most.

And what was the point of bringing up the hood/primal long? I already said hood should be second bind, and nowhere did I mention the Longsword.

It's not really the lack of monsters that remove your hood, more so the lack of monsters it actually protects from in the higher floors (and the addition of Necromancers being able to remove it)

Edit: NVM, the longsword comment was directed at the other guy

I pick up a t8 leatherbody if all my teammates have 3 binds at the start and wear it. I still get hit quite a bit by mages - especially books - and it's not nearly as easy to tank a single ranger or meleer without prayer (which, with hood, is the most common thing you'll be doing at gds). It's certainly better than nothing, but not even close to even a t8 chainbody, let alone platebody.

In the end I can't tell you what to bind. I can only post what I find most useful. Most of the people over 100 dungeoneering have bound a platebody, and based on experience I will too (currently 98 dungeoneering). I have never done a dungeon with an elite dungeoneering clan member who bound a leatherbody, which speaks volumes about preference based on experience.

2496 Completionist

Well, just think about it- you may not like it, but having the bare minimum effort and getting things done is smart assuming the result is good enough(and it is for dungeoneering). You may have been told to always give your best no matter what, but actually, it's the losing strategy. I didn't think for a moment jagex intended for players to clear all rooms of monsters, because, afterall, they are the combat equivalent of resources, and the skill is called dungeoneering- no combat nr2. People fish when they need to, they mine and make armor when they need to, but monsters should be killed no matter what? no thanks. Rushing just means that you do the bare minimum of ''other'' activities to reach your goal of defeating the boss, and it's clearly the smart strategy. Also i don't think this thread would have much discussion value if it was about personal binds just because there are loads of crazy and inefficient people around.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Rushing just comes down to personal preference. I too used to be one of the people who despised rushing and didn't see the point of a hood. If xp/hr doesn't matter much to you, then I would say stick to solos or find a 117 team. If fast xp does matter to you, try what I did: rush a small c6 dungeon solo. That is, only kill monsters in gd rooms. You really don't need as much preparation for bosses as you might think. After you feel comfortable, try some mediums. I used to take about 40 minutes to solo a medium, but rushing takes less than half that time.

Something else I realized too, even on a 5:5 large, the level mod doesn't matter much at all. Think about it, even getting 0% on 70k xp is only 7k less than what you would have spent probably 10-15 minutes on. Especially considering good teams can do larges in 40-60 minutes it really isn't worth it in the long run.

But if you ever want to do 5:5 large rushes a hood is basically a necessity. Take it from someone who got constantly piled by being the only one without a hood for a long time, [cabbage] sucks. =)

Eternis.png

[hide]

Rushing just comes down to personal preference. I too used to be one of the people who despised rushing and didn't see the point of a hood. If xp/hr doesn't matter much to you, then I would say stick to solos or find a 117 team. If fast xp does matter to you, try what I did: rush a small c6 dungeon solo. That is, only kill monsters in gd rooms. You really don't need as much preparation for bosses as you might think. After you feel comfortable, try some mediums. I used to take about 40 minutes to solo a medium, but rushing takes less than half that time.

Something else I realized too, even on a 5:5 large, the level mod doesn't matter much at all. Think about it, even getting 0% on 70k xp is only 7k less than what you would have spent probably 10-15 minutes on. Especially considering good teams can do larges in 40-60 minutes it really isn't worth it in the long run.

But if you ever want to do 5:5 large rushes a hood is basically a necessity. Take it from someone who got constantly piled by being the only one without a hood for a long time, [cabbage] sucks. =)

[/hide]

Good teams can do them in 30 now ;)

But yea, if you're rushing get a hood. But if you're like me and my friends, and hate rushes, then the hood probably won't be as usefull, since you're killing stuff anyways.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

That's why I said good teams and not pro teams. I know the really really good teams can go that fast but the average rush ends up being 40-60.

Whenever I go with my friends we usually take our time and get/kill everything but when I'm going for xp, rushing is the only way.

Eternis.png

• 2 months later...

I am bumping this thread so that people may see how things have changed in light of Warped as well as [what is news relative to when this thread was created] that there will be an additional bind slot given through a quest (the poster I read this reminder from said the req for the quest was announced to be lower than level 60 Dungeoneering, but I don't remember if the original Q&A said so or not!)

Please discuss your personal binds, the most efficient binds, the most selfish binds, realistic binds (the full five binds isn't realistic for most ;) ), and your dream binds.

Personally my least realistic bind set would be Primal minus the gauntlets or boots with the 2h or spear, or basically any T11 3 armor + a weapon set. (To clarify, I do have a SSH and realize its significance... But yeah!!)

2dgucz6.png

I have primal baxe, ssh, and hhb binded, and I can say that i get destroyed most of the dungeon, as i key, it's really bad to key without any piece of armor, but hhb is so rare so i just binded it because that.

Saw someone keying with primal plate, legs, kite and baxe, and he was good.

Unless we get a 2nd ammo bind, strategies still won't change that much because of the inability to effectively use all 3 combat styles. :mellow:

That is what needs to be fixed imo. Otherwise, everything else is pretty fine. Having a 5th bind would be rather neat as well.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Unless we get a 2nd ammo bind, strategies still won't change that much because of the inability to effectively use all 3 combat styles. :mellow:

That is what needs to be fixed imo. Otherwise, everything else is pretty fine. Having a 5th bind would be rather neat as well.

That's incorrect. There are now many possibilities for bind combinations, due in no small part to the surgebox and complete arsenal of tier 11 weapons/armor (the latter is obvious, of course).

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

That's incorrect. There are now many possibilities for bind combinations, due in no small part to the surgebox and complete arsenal of tier 11 weapons/armor (the latter is obvious, of course).

Having two ammo binds means you can keep a hexhunter AND mage those warriors easily. That's what I was pointing out.

Still though, with all the melee weapon binding possibilities, there are lots of variations in the dg metagame.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention