Internet Explorer 9

mario_sunny

It ain't that bad. Too used to Opera personally though.

Not sure how Opera scores any more and I don't particularly care because Firefox is near enough Internet Explorer nowadays. I'm interested in Chrome but the one time I tried it, I found simple things like the download management to be impractical and it felt kind of jarring, not smooth like Opera feels to me. I reset my forms and cleared my cache in both browsers and pages load really nicely in Opera but they hang and then suddenly everything loads at once. I guess this is probably to do with the rendering engine and I would probably get used to it eventually but it doesn't feel as nice to use. Also it leaked far too much memory, more than Fx ever did.

I'll grab a recent version of Chrome and maybe I will be converted, but until then it is Norway's browser for me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm content with running FireFox, I'm on 3.5.7 and I find it much more convienent than opera or Chrome just because I've got everything down to my liking. All the addons I have serve a function which makes it faster for me to do stuff etc ...

Oh and of course - this is very helpful.

I'm content with running FireFox, I'm on 3.5.7 and I find it much more convienent than opera or Chrome just because I've got everything down to my liking. All the addons I have serve a function which makes it faster for me to do stuff etc ...

Firefox 3.5 is kinda buggy, you should upgrade to Firefox 3.6.10 ;). Maybe I should too, I'm on 3.6.7

It seems MS are finally getting their act together, sort of.

I'm content to stick with Firefox though. Greasemonkey is too useful, and I can't find anything that beats the safety offered by NoScript.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Eh, that Asteroid Belt thing runs at 1 FPS both on my home PC and my laptop, using Chrome (6.0.472). Considering that my home PC is significantly faster, something seems iffy.

I actually upgraded to Chrome on this laptop because some particulary script-heavy features of Wowhead.com were slow as heck on my laptop using IE8, with seconds worth of delay after each click. It performed a lot better in Chrome, and after a while I kinda got used to Chrome's features and switched to it on my home PC as well. Seeing as IE9 doesn't seem to offer any noteworthy features of Chrome (I have little interest in using my browser to render an asteroid belt using Javascript...), I'll stick with it for the time being.

I just hope that IE9's rendering won't introduce any new compatibility headaches.

I won't be trying IE 9 because I'm still running XP Pro.

I use IE 8 for some things and Firefox for others.

I am considering making the Chrome Frame the preferred renderer for my web site though.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I'm content with running FireFox, I'm on 3.5.7 and I find it much more convenient than opera or Chrome just because I've got everything down to my liking. All the addons I have serve a function which makes it faster for me to do stuff etc ...

Firefox 3.5 is kinda buggy, you should upgrade to Firefox 3.6.10 ;). Maybe I should too, I'm on 3.6.7

Really ? I mean I've found it just fine about 99% of the time, however it's crashed before if I open too many GT videos at once. Even then it still saves all my tabs. I know that Greasemonkey is compatible with 3.5 + and so are most of my other addons but eh'.

Honestly, I don't doubt that both Opera and Chrome are good browsers. But Firefox is just a solid workhorse with Greasemonkey + SkipScreen + Adblock Plus. Plus stuff like SF2, WOT and Xmarks just make it better. Oh and the highlight features are pretty handy aswell.

Chrome's good, and I was convinced it was better, but I came back to Firefox (I was getting a crapload of lag, turns out it was Norton, what a surprise) and I'm still with Firefox now. But Ad Block Plus and NoScript win. And the ad blockers on Chrome are pretty average.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Chrome's good, and I was convinced it was better, but I came back to Firefox (I was getting a crapload of lag, turns out it was Norton, what a surprise) and I'm still with Firefox now. But Ad Block Plus and NoScript win. And the ad blockers on Chrome are pretty average.

Really? I've found adblock for chrome to be just as good as the FF one...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Open IE > Search Google Chrome > Download

Start menu > Type 'features' > Click 'Turn Windows features on or off' > Untick Internet Explorer > OK > Restart.

That normally fixes my problems.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

It doesn't block the ads like it does on Firefox, it just hides them.

It doesn't block the ads like it does on Firefox, it just hides them.

You are talking about AdBlock for Chrome, right? The notes clearly state that nearly all resources are prevented from loading.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Firefox 4 will be out soon, and it wont even be a fair challenge. I have the beta on my computer now. Its blazing fast and doesn't crash on javascript, I just don't use it because my FF3.6 add ons interfere with it.

It's sad how many people still believe the IE is The Internet, and can't comprehend that it's just a program.

It's sad how many people still believe the IE is The Internet, and can't comprehend that it's just a program.

Not really. I mean, just look at what Microsoft has done.

• The name suggests that it is the internet. Then look at Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc., none of those have "internet" in their name and nothing to hint at their function.

• Prior to the EU's ruling, it came preloaded with every version of Windows. That's practically 90-95% of computers sold to consumers.

• Before Chrome, browsers were never marketed to consumers. Firefox and Opera were only circulated by more computer savvy consumers through "word of mouth," so to speak.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Doesn't IE still come preloaded with every version of windows? I was under the impression that the ruling merely forced them to allow users to uninstall it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Or make it easier to not have it as their default browser.

I have FF 3.6 and there's an addon called Firefox Sync that syncs your bookmarks, settings and passwords in Firefox on different computers. Very nice I must say, although it doesn't transfer your other addons.

The last I heard, when it was first opened, it allowed users to select a group of randomized web browsers to use. At least, on the the countries that the EU operates under. Perhaps it isn't put into effect yet?

Or perhaps I am out of touch. :lol:

hopesolopatriot.jpg