1st October, 2010: Behind the Scenes - October

BloodAngel

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herblore has no real reason to level until special recovers at 84 (and a few quest reqs at like 60).

I'm okay with this. The world did not implode.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Herblore has no real reason to level until special recovers at 84 (and a few quest reqs at like 60).

I'm okay with this. The world did not implode.

Did the world implode? No.

But if there's no real reason to level it until you can hit level 84, is that going to convince anyone to level it until that point?

I honestly think this is just another difference of opinion; I think that both the journey and destination should be enjoyable in RS by way of having something new and interesting (i.e. a quest, a new piece of a minigame...) every few levels from level 1 to 99. You obviously don't think the same way.

a70c7.png

I think that's BEST, yeah, but I'm saying that if I have a choice between having a reason to get a stat up 2 levels and having a reason to get it to 99, I'd choose the 99, because that would keep me busy for longer.

Edit: and yes, by the way, plenty of people level Herblore for untradeable potions despite the fact that they don't start until the 80s. Are you kidding?

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Quest requirements are an excellent opportunity to make SOME incentive to train an otherwise dead skill. And for those who don't have the levels yet? Congratulations, you now get to train to that level for a GOAL rather than just grinding for the sake of grinding. That's a lot more fun. If you don't like grinding levels to reach a goal, then what the hell are you DOING on this game?

Everyone has satisfaction when grinding to reach a specific goal. Even me. However, EXCESSIVE grinding (50+ hours) with no goal in sight is not good game design.

Then don't do the quest when/if it comes out. The fact is, a lot of people plan on getting 99 in everything

And the fact is, some people don't plan on getting 99 in everything, and want the fun without the grind.

When low requirement content is released, all players have access to it, grinders and non grinders alike.

When high requirement content is released, the grinders have acesss to it, the others don't have access to it unless they excessively grind skill A.

O.O

Quest requirements are an excellent opportunity to make SOME incentive to train an otherwise dead skill. And for those who don't have the levels yet? Congratulations, you now get to train to that level for a GOAL rather than just grinding for the sake of grinding. That's a lot more fun. If you don't like grinding levels to reach a goal, then what the hell are you DOING on this game?

Everyone has satisfaction when grinding to reach a specific goal. Even me. However, EXCESSIVE grinding (50+ hours) with no goal in sight is not good game design.

Then don't do the quest when/if it comes out. The fact is, a lot of people plan on getting 99 in everything

And the fact is, some people don't plan on getting 99 in everything, and want the fun without the grind.

When low requirement content is released, all players have access to it, grinders and non grinders alike.

When high requirement content is released, the grinders have acesss to it, the others don't have access to it unless they excessively grind skill A.

So raise your skills. What's the problem?

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

There won't be one, because by the time Jagex releases quests that require, say, 97 fishing, they'll already have a different one that requires 93, a bit of a minigame before that which requires 90, and so on - so you basically get a good half of your xp from quests and the occasional minigame/DnD, and be capable of breaking up the grind fairly well. Good for players who don't enjoy continuous, excessive grinding to get a specific quest, and good for those who'd rather grind to be able to finish a quest for the reward than go through a bunch of quests for Fishing XP and lols. And best of all, this is basically what Jagex has stated they'll be doing (I think someone posted the vid a while back.). The only problem I can see is Jagex thinking a whole bunch of new "grind" content as fun and interesting, and releasing that instead of quests/minigames/DnDs.

a70c7.png

There won't be one, because by the time Jagex releases quests that require, say, 97 fishing, they'll already have a different one that requires 93, a bit of a minigame before that which requires 90, and so on - so you basically get a good half of your xp from quests and the occasional minigame/DnD, and be capable of breaking up the grind fairly well. Good for players who don't enjoy continuous, excessive grinding to get a specific quest, and good for those who'd rather grind to be able to finish a quest for the reward than go through a bunch of quests for Fishing XP and lols. And best of all, this is basically what Jagex has stated they'll be doing (I think someone posted the vid a while back.). The only problem I can see is Jagex thinking a whole bunch of new "grind" content as fun and interesting, and releasing that instead of quests/minigames/DnDs.

Exactly. :thumbup:

Also, whats the problem with low requirements?

Nothing. Low requirements are perfectly acceptable for low-level quests. :)

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

The problem is having to excessively grind for content...

The problem with low requirement content is that either it gets used up and tossed out extremely quickly, or it has disproportionately useful rewards for the level requirements. The game is absolutely flooded with low requirement content- I can't understand how anyone could consider themselves in need of an update before they've reached high level (at least an average level of 80, including combats). There's an overwhelming number of quests and not a single one with a requirement that could be considered difficult in the big picture.

If you don't want high level content to come out, then finish what's already on your plate. Jagex has spent the last 10 years working on your level group 99% of the time. It won't kill you to have one quest you can't do released.

The problem is having to excessively grind for content...

The problem with low requirement content is that either it gets used up and tossed out extremely quickly, or it has disproportionately useful rewards for the level requirements. The game is absolutely flooded with low requirement content- I can't understand how anyone could consider themselves in need of an update before they've reached high level (at least an average level of 80, including combats). There's an overwhelming number of quests and not a single one with a requirement that could be considered difficult in the big picture.

If you don't want high level content to come out, then finish what's already on your plate. Jagex has spent the last 10 years working on your level group 99% of the time. It won't kill you to have one quest you can't do released.

Using this logic, I would suggest that what we need are not level requirements but quest requirements--i.e. make more sequels or spinoffs of existing quests.

Using this logic, I would suggest that what we need are not level requirements but quest requirements--i.e. make more sequels or spinoffs of existing quests.

I'm not sure I follow you. The fact that there are an enormous excess of low level quests means that, rather than making higher level quests, we need instead to make low level quests that require other low level quests?

I agree with this guy. Levelling should be enjoyable, and the rewards should be enjoyable. After all, this is a game.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I'm not sure I follow you. The fact that there are an enormous excess of low level quests means that, rather than making higher level quests, we need instead to make low level quests that require other low level quests?

What I mean is that there are so many low-level quests that players who haven't already done them shouldn't need a lot of new quests; thus, quests should be targeted at players who have already done lots of quests. And I believe those players are most interested in finishing off incomplete storylines with quests like Ritual of the Mahjarrat and tying up loose ends with quests like Glorious Memories.

What I mean is that there are so many low-level quests that players who haven't already done them shouldn't need a lot of new quests; thus, quests should be targeted at players who have already done lots of quests. And I believe those players are most interested in finishing off incomplete storylines with quests like Ritual of the Mahjarrat and tying up loose ends with quests like Glorious Memories.

Sure, I absolutely agree. I also think that when wrapping up storylines, there's a fanastic opportunity to also offer an incentive to get some levels up. Wrapping up storylines needs to be an exercise in pushing the max skills required for quests, as quests that require quests are aimed at people who are less new.

It'll be really sad if something like Ritual of the Mahjarrat comes out and there's only requirements in the low 80s because Jagex is afraid to make a truly difficult quest. It's not something you should be able to play after a few months, and 80 is less than 1/4 of the way to 99 in any given skill. If you don't want your skills that high, there's 309 quest points currently catering to your level group and more doubtlessly on the way-- have at it.

Sure, I absolutely agree. I also think that when wrapping up storylines, there's a fanastic opportunity to also offer an incentive to get some levels up. Wrapping up storylines needs to be an exercise in pushing the max skills required for quests, as quests that require quests are aimed at people who are less new.

It'll be really sad if something like Ritual of the Mahjarrat comes out and there's only requirements in the low 80s because Jagex is afraid to make a truly difficult quest. It's not something you should be able to play after a few months, and 80 is less than 1/4 of the way to 99 in any given skill. If you don't want your skills that high, there's 309 quest points currently catering to your level group and more doubtlessly on the way-- have at it.

This game is dynamic and is always changing. Something will always be higher/better than something else, eventually. Just because quests have the highest title now of "Grandmaster" does not mean Grandmaster IS and will always be the highest quest title. Heck, in 5 years "Grandmaster" could just be a middle level title of quests.

That being said, also remember plot lines are the same way. I wouldn't see much of a problem with the Ritual quest having high 70's or low 80's, because in the long run, it may not be a difficult or challenging quest compared to quests in the future. The Ritual might be like cook's assistant to a Dragon-kin storyline that could branch off it a few years from now.

Point is, it WILL happen, but Jagex is not going to rush into this. Use the 400k rule. If 400k or more people have that level, it might be a requirement.

Actually, the quality of this months updates is astounding. I personally loved the void quest, and charm hunting is a fun way of getting the strange rocks. Also, the make X -improvements are very nice and will affect almost everyone for the rest of RuneScape. Still, I would've liked Jagex to release the updates separately each week. Now, all I have to wait for is the Halloween update, and it will only last for an hour or so. So, quantitatively speaking, this month wasn't that great.

So, let's hope that November is going to be awesome! At least they have some extra time on their hands, since this month is almost complete.

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

Nothing. Low requirements are perfectly acceptable for low-level quests. :)

No reason hard quests can't have low requirements.

You're contradicting yourself there. :huh:

Hard =/= grind, i think we've been over this.

What can jagex make to do to make a quest hard besides level requirements?

I donno, thats not my problem.

But if the only way jagex can make "hard" content is to throw in excessive grind requirements, well then you may as well not even make it hard.

reflex boss will make the high level (but older or disabled) players rage

And this is different from making low level players rage?

Plus, reflex bosses don't need to be split second reflex bosses, and theres no reason it can't be alleviated somewhat by simply having higher stats.

High level players fighting boss A would have an easier time, reflex boss or not, simply because they would kill it faster and high stats would mean missing a step would be unrealistic. Low level players might need faster reflexes, but at least they have the option of doing the quest, even if it is harder for them.

O.O

So, anyone looking forward to this Halloween event? I still say that 2007 had the best Halloween event.

I am even though most people seem to hate them. :P