Korasi's Sword: is it Balanced?

TheAncient

After doing some more extensive tests on it, I have come to the conclusion the special is broken into two parts with different attributes for each:

Special 1) Single Combat

- Special is 100% accurate.

- Special counts as a magic attack. (Magic based melee)

- ALWAYS hits 50% to 150% of your MAX HIT.

- No protection prayers reduce this hit. (Except TD's praying magic, due to their ability to block damage regardless of accuracy)

Special 2) Multi-Combat

- Special is 100% accurate.

- Special counts as a magic attack. (Magic based melee)

- Special hits up to 3 targets, if any are in range.

- No damage multiplier is applied to the first hit, only 50% and 25% of the damage for the 2nd and 3rd hits respectively.

As you can see, this weapon is much more powerful in single combat, than it is in multi-combat. This explains why it hits so horrible on bosses; such as TD's, since most bosses are in multi-combat and this give the sword no damage multiplier. This also explains why it always appears to hit so well on monsters/players in a single combat setting every hit.

It is worth noting that using potions and final turmoil boosts in single combat will greatly increase you chance of hitting higher, since the sword is a % of your max hit and not just the range of what your dice roll could hit up to with normal hits. (Eg, Potions/Full turmoil will increase your minimum possible hit)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Special counts as a magic attack. (Melee based magic)

What does it mean to be a melee-based magic attack if it's not affected by attack or defense? :-s

Even though it has 100% accuracy, the game still counts it as a "combat type". In this case, the weapon is a magic-based melee attack (sorry I had a typo on that earlier) due to the fact it makes TD's protect from magic. If it wasn't set to a particular combat style, it would not alter the TD's prayer change at all. TD's are pretty much the only way to accurately identify the combat type of an item.

What does it mean to be a melee-based magic attack if it's not affected by attack or defense? :-s

Even though it has 100% accuracy, the game still counts it as a "combat type". In this case, the weapon is a magic-based melee attack (sorry I had a typo on that earlier) due to the fact it makes TD's protect from magic. If it wasn't set to a particular combat style, it would not alter the TD's prayer change at all. TD's are pretty much the only way to accurately identify the combat type of an item.

So how do you know it's magic-based melee and not a straight-up magic attack?

Depends on how you define the two. I don't think there's a big distinction in this case because defense plays no role.

It's odd because it uses strength to calculate damage, and needs to be used within one square of your opponent. Everything else is magic.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Depends on how you define the two. I don't think there's a big distinction in this case because defense plays no role.

It's odd because it uses strength to calculate damage, and needs to be used within one square of your opponent. Everything else is magic.

Ya. If you wanted to get technical, its really a magic attack with melee constraints and damage calculated on melee stats. But at that point, its much easier to just call it a magic-based melee attack since it hits like a melee attack with the damage of magic.

Either way, like ancient said, it ignores defense. The only place the attack style matters is TD's, so it doesn't really matter too much what it is in PVP.

Playing with it more at house party dungeons, it really is an excellent KO weapon for players running away. I think that might be what Jagex had in mind when they designed it.

I believe its balanced. Max I have hit with it is a 743, but I've seen it hit over 800. So yeah, Its a pro. Beats D Claws any day.

you do realize claws can hit over 1000 right

That argument doesn't quite fly when you're relying on a total of 8 different rolls of the dice in your favour. You'd have to hit four times, and be at near max hit for each of those attacks. I guess this really calls for some experiments, but there's some serious power behind magic based melee.

I don't think you really know how claws work...

O.O

I believe its balanced. Max I have hit with it is a 743, but I've seen it hit over 800. So yeah, Its a pro. Beats D Claws any day.

That argument doesn't quite fly when you're relying on a total of 8 different rolls of the dice in your favour. You'd have to hit four times, and be at near max hit for each of those attacks. I guess this really calls for some experiments, but there's some serious power behind magic based melee.

lol

Have you ever used dclaws?

As said before, you know nothing about how Claws work. Try and explain, fully, how a Dragon Claw special hit is calculated.

Korasi's sword also makes opponents safe like crazy. D claws can be hidden under an msb or mage (although if you have a d scim its extremely obvious)

EDIT: I use my Rapier/DDS for pking, its actually extremely easy to win fights. The CR is the only really overpowered weapon in RuneScape.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

As said before, you know nothing about how Claws work. Try and explain, fully, how a Dragon Claw special hit is calculated.

Aah, damn. I apologise. I've made a mistake. No, I have not used d claws before. icon_redface.gif

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Am i the only one who hits like garbage with this thing? Maxed melee, using turmoil fighting a variety of opponents in the duel arena. My max with it was 500 or so, i average about a 200 - 300. Did a little over 100 fights and i haven't really done anything spectacular with it. Am i doing something wrong :blink: ?

Although it was super accurate, i don't even think i missed with it once, i think i would have hit more overall with a dds or something.

jpegsigtest.jpg

With claws you have 4 attacks, sure - You can hit over 1,000. But you can also miss the special entirely, wasting 50% special. With Korasi's, you can use the special, 60% of the bar, and pretty much get a guaranteed 450 average. It has a much higher potential to have a critical hit over D Claws, and is great one you get a target to 50-60% health.

What you hit is completely luck based, as you'll never miss with it.

I understand that. But this is a topic with people debating whether or not it's too powerful. If it wasn't for this thread, i would have thought this was a useless weapon and moved on. What i am asking is why i am not getting anywhere near the hits other people are. Like i said i average 200 to 300. And this was fighting people lvl 110 an under. I could easily average more damage with a different spec weapon.

jpegsigtest.jpg

What you hit is completely luck based, as you'll never miss with it.

I understand that. But this is a topic with people debating whether or not it's too powerful. If it wasn't for this thread, i would have thought this was a useless weapon and moved on. What i am asking is why i am not getting anywhere near the hits other people are. Like i said i average 200 to 300. And this was fighting people lvl 110 an under. I could easily average more damage with a different spec weapon.

It hits between 50% and 150% of your max. Simple enough, right? *shrug*

Ya. If you wanted to get technical, its really a magic attack with melee constraints and damage calculated on melee stats. But at that point, its much easier to just call it a magic-based melee attack since it hits like a melee attack with the damage of magic.

Either way, like ancient said, it ignores defense. The only place the attack style matters is TD's, so it doesn't really matter too much what it is in PVP.

Playing with it more at house party dungeons, it really is an excellent KO weapon for players running away. I think that might be what Jagex had in mind when they designed it.

I've always been curious - Does it really ignore defence? I have two hypothesis for it. Hypothesis one; The 'accuracy roll', with the roll of Opponent's Defence vs Your Own Attack, would be ignored, and it would just hit a number between 50%-150% of your max hit.

Hypothesis two; if your Attack Roll gets beaten by the Defence Roll of the opponent, you would deal 50% of your max hit.

Which one is more likely?

If it is 100% accurate(and people are more or less sure of that) then yes, it ignores defense entirely, as defense doesn't affect your max(or average) hit.

And really, dclaws are around 90% accurate on even the toughest armor, and nearly always(if you land on the 1-3rd hit) deal double damage, korasi sword, even though being 100% accurate, only deals normal damage(50-150%, 100% average), and is much more luck based, can't be used twice in a row.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.