Tip.It Times - 28th November 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Awesome fictional today! It was long though.

I thought Rach's article on unbalanced maging in dungeoneering was pretty spot-on, I never use runes because it's not really time/cost effective to do so. Article on not doing fun things because they're not worth it echoes sentiments I've been hearing lately.

EDIT: Wewt! First post!

First article:

* I have played loads of “Fast Stealing Creation”, the combatless dredge which earns points faster than the traditional minigame while attacking your very soul and will to live.

* I engaged in several hours of Pyramid Plunder, which should speak for itself.

* I couldn’t tell you the last time I played Castle Wars, hunted the Barrow Brothers, enjoyed some Trouble Brewing, hunted implings, slayed some abby demons, or did other tasks which are inefficient and yet fun.

I feel the opposite way on all of those, lol. I think Fast SC is more fun because you don't have to worry about getting attacked. Playing non fast SC isn't *that* much worse for points because you get more points per game. If you find it fun, just do it. Same goes for Pyramid Plunder - usually it's the fun alternative to blackjacking! And while I agree with the last point, you can now see Castle Wars games on highscores, which could count for something? Part of the problem with other minigames is that no one plays them...

I would have liked to check out the new activity too, but I'm already 99 in each of the related skills. Oh well - plenty of time to try it out later if I get bored with my current training strategy.

Second article: I do think another ammo bind slot (perhaps at level 75?) would help, but I don't think we're out of options entirely. In fact, if we did get another ammo bind slot, I'd bind law runes to go with my surgebox.

It's unrealistic to think that one combat style will get you through a dungeon. Melee comes closest, but it is quite slow on some monsters and impractical on some bosses. Trying to mage everything just isn't going to work!

Two style hybriding works perfectly right now. A melee weapon will, of course, deal with many monsters the quickest, but a surgebox is a fantastic way to speed up melee monsters and eliminate boss weaknesses. A hexhunter bow is the range equivalent (and I think slightly better equivalent), taking down all the non-melee monsters that are even weaker to HHB than to melee.

I've done a few dungeons with mage/range pures. They have bows and arrows bound, along with a staff or blood necklace if level 100, and while they have to make runes, they do just fine with using the appropriate style during the dungeon.

You're far from out of options. You can either get 77 runecrafting (a couple hours for you) or combine a surgebox with a melee weapon. Expecting to navigate an improved combat triangle with one style is unrealistic - even meleers are slowed by it!

2496 Completionist

Very good fictonal!!! Stories comming along nicely..

I agree whole heartly with the first article, as i'm a "Fun-do-nothing-somtimes-sit-at-ge-and-talk-to-friends" kinda player..

Needs more fun rs players imo...

Socond one, I agree, magic isn't that well repensented in dungeoneering

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

And we're only halfway :) Three more chapters and an epilogue to go :ohnoes:

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Frankly, I don't find mage too bad in DG. Maybe because besides my surgebox, I CAN make blood runes. So by the time I run out there's enough ess/money to make more, and I can make it.

I've still got my spear bound though. On the other hand, 79 RC, and 2 or 3 fletching levels until I can make empowered fire staffs. Afterall, mage doesn't work on everything; and as much as I like mage, I don't want to restrict myself by binding a staff. But seriously, no offence Racheya, the main reason mage doesn't work so well for you is the inability to make blood runes.

I kind of understand the whole efficiency thing, not doing things because they don't coincide wit your goals; however, the real reason I haven't tried out the herblore habitat is because I can't hunt all the creatures there nor create the suitable habitat for all of them. I plan to look at that more once I hit 80 construction/hunter....

I'll read the fictional later, but I liked the first few so far :)

EDIT: Liked the fictional, although I had a bit of trouble keeping track of all the characters.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

For f2p, it's not that bad. Honestly, I can't see what the issue is - I recently did a medium dungeon, 5:5, where I almost ended up with more charges in my regular surgebox than I started with. It is true that I meleed the boss (saggitarius), but the runes I picked up, and the nearly 50 deaths that were on the table, more than covered all my rune needs.

Stormveritas' article. Mm... In the middle lies people who can learn to stop to enjoy the game , while liking to play efficiently at times.. Not necessarily always.

Yeah, like that zaryte bow

wait

recharge costs = ammo.

So, all melee weapons are overpowered, at least.

this combat triangle finally makes sense...

The xp from hunting is awesome, indeed...

But the game is called HERBLORE Habitat... I am of the opinion that seeds (especially Erzille) drop way too uncommon...

More seeds = more use of the 2nd patch (farming) = more juju potions made

So for it to honor its name and be a help to herblore, the droptable needs some adjustment...

Oh and a couple of extra bankspaces to store all this stuff wouldnt hurt either...

Other than that I love the minigame... It makes the best food in the game, it makes Apple, Banana, and Orange trees useful again, and supercompost has never been so easy :D

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

the second article is spot on!!

ranging and maging is totally pointless above the first few floors.

I got a tier 10 longbow with 125 tier 10 arrows and half way through one of those gluteanous beast (totally misspelled) boss fights i ran out of ammo!

"Perhaps creating a system where you can store as many runes as you want in the ammo slot (or celestial surgebox)"

> I am not sure if it still works, but as far as I remember you can bind more than 125 charges on a surgebox which will carry over to the next dungeon but wont replenish until you get them down to 125.

I am new to offering my opion, the new mini game herbalore habitat is what I was looking for. Hunter skill is what I never liked to do. The red chins seem to be a combat of people fighting to take this or that spot. placing there traps where I placed mine. This new area offered me a nice quiet and fun place to get the hunter skill worked on.

EDIT: Liked the fictional, although I had a bit of trouble keeping track of all the characters.

Most of them are already par tof RuneScape... Of the current party only Sigmar, Freyleif, Vemund and the narrator are made up :)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

First article ;-)

"Where is the middle? Im certain that there is no set, definitive line in the sand which delineates the happy medium between the skill-obsessed and the happy doddlers. What do people tend to appreciate more: those that toil away at goals relentlessly, or others who lackadaisically meander about the face of Runescape with seemingly no point or focus?"

Meh! There is no middle. You do what you do and enjoy it anyway Stormy.

Perhaps I need to seek you out and try once again to divert you from your goals. It's never worked before but I love being a pain in your neck and whizzing around you when you're head down and bum up skilling :D

Perhaps I'll drag another pain in the neck along - don't lock that door!

bramady2xg.jpg

Ha! RS name is Bramady. Yell gidday if you see her as she's probably just risen from the dead or heading off to die. Blimmin cat should stay home....out of trouble. And that nice Mr Pup found her again. Ain't he choice!

in regards to In Need of Intervention. This ties is in with recent discussion about GRINDING. I grind all the time because i too want to achieve those goals to reap the rewards or just to balance my skills. And if i'm going to train a skill i want to do it efficiently as possible. Unfortunately that's how it is. Sometimes i will go for hours not talking at all or contributing to any community. Although it's because i'm on here. I haven't found time to hunt impings or play a game of castle wars in awhile.

Magic in dungeoneering, i tried that too. I think that 77 rc isn't so hard to get. i had 76 so i needed to pot, or finding someone that can join your team and make runes isn't difficult either, there is no lack of essence in daemonheim although it could be a pain, magic should be evened out. This new surgebox sounds interesting, if it's so good and tough to get ,maybe it should hold 2x as much? Would 250 work or i guess that would just span it out longer before you ran out...

Let your yellow mellow.

And whose fault is it you don't have 77 RC? HMM

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]