Would you like to see GM driven events in Runescape?

magic82

I wouldn't like it.

Runescape is all about choice of what you want to do, so much so that alot of players dont even read the news since 90% of updates dont alter their playing.

It's jsut gonna cause mass chaos, rants etc if one day a host of skillers, questers or other general players are slaughtered and cannot safely get their stuff back from their graves because they didnt happen to read the news and know that a random city is gonna be flooded with monsters.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

We already have a GM driven event, it's called bonus XP weekend, and we all know how amazing that is.

The best thing Jagex GM's can do, is to do nothing at all. The less involvement they have, the better.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

We already have a GM driven event, it's called bonus XP weekend, and we all know how amazing that is.

The best thing Jagex GM's can do, is to do nothing at all. The less involvement they have, the better.

Pretty much sums up my opinion. Events that benefit you which you can't postpone don't have a place in the game. The Bonus XP Weekends are completely out of character and IMHO shouldn't be continued. You're supposed to be able to play it at entirely your own pace.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Instanced monsters wouldn't really work. For one, not everyone will actually be prepared for one if it appears. Also, not everyone is a killer, and stuff like this will just unnecessarily disrupt their other activities.

Bonus xp weekend actually works, because anyone and everyone can participate in it without actually hurting anything (except prices, but they calm down after a while).

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

We had the zombie thing around Halloween this year which was at Clan Wars and was somewhat similar to what you described but that's probably as close as we're going to get in RS. Like someone above me said, people don't read the news so people would end up complaining when the randomly die to a Demon in Lumbridge.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

It would be fun. But in RuneScape? Not at all. There's not enough freedom to do whatever you need to survive - like in that video: the guy goes up a giant pillar off of land, to start firing arrows whereas in RS we can only go where the squares let us go.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

Oh yes, another ''why can't runescape have ''insert feature'' like in ''insert MMORPG''?'' Y'know, if your mother didn't have a ''insert v word'', she wouldn't be your mother. This is runescape, and it has runescape-ish things, deal with it.(every game can't be tailor-made for everyone and have all features possible)

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

It wouldn't work only because people afraid of change (look up, lol) wouldn't let it work.

It's a rather good idea but not exactly as they performed it in the other game...

I think that they should do D&Ds that are area-specific, like for a good example, a fight between the Phoenix and Black Arm games in Varrock where you can participate by talking to your chosen gang's leader and donning their uniform. Another one would perhaps be continued undead invasions posed by Zemeourgal.

If monsters just randomly attacked people... Well... I dunno. I really wouldn't want to be attacked while say running bars and Smithing at Varrock. But them not doing so would pretty much defeat the purpose...

I guess it could be limited to certain worlds, or be toggled knowlingly at the Doomsayer or somewhere. Or if the events were initiated because of specific quests, a quest specific NPC, like Diminthesis for further undead invasions. The zombies and skeletons would ignore or push back those uninvolved...

2dgucz6.png

It wouldn't work only because people afraid of change (look up, lol) wouldn't let it work.

It's a rather good idea but not exactly as they performed it in the other game...

I think that they should do D&Ds that are area-specific, like for a good example, a fight between the Phoenix and Black Arm games in Varrock where you can participate by talking to your chosen gang's leader and donning their uniform. Another one would perhaps be continued undead invasions posed by Zemeourgal.

If monsters just randomly attacked people... Well... I dunno. I really wouldn't want to be attacked while say running bars and Smithing at Varrock. But them not doing so would pretty much defeat the purpose...

I guess it could be limited to certain worlds, or be toggled knowlingly at the Doomsayer or somewhere. Or if the events were initiated because of specific quests, a quest specific NPC, like Diminthesis for further undead invasions. The zombies and skeletons would ignore or push back those uninvolved...

Yes, some instanced areas would be fun. Who wouldn't want a gigantic gang fight in the streets of Varrock?

Is this a joke?

Let's wait until Jagex can consistently come out with updates that don't come packaged with obvious, stupid glitches, and then we can look at whether it might be fun for them to do more. At the moment, the less they do, the better. They aren't competent enough to handle what's already on their plate.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Yes, some instanced areas would be fun. Who wouldn't want a gigantic gang fight in the streets of Varrock?

What stops you from doing that? Oh, you are too much of a wuss to try and pk in a dangerous situation.

And yeah, green, the competence(or, rather, incompetence) of jagex would also be a major problem.

What stops you from doing that? Oh, you are too much of a wuss to try and pk in a dangerous situation.

And yeah, green, the competence(or, rather, incompetence) of jagex would also be a major problem.

I really don't think you know what my PK abilities or preferences are so let's just not discuss things we don't know about, alright?

Point is it would be fun for it to be instanced so that is need not involve the general population, even on a PVP server. And I said "gang fight" because it would be between the rival gangs.

I really don't think you know what my PK abilities or preferences are so let's just not discuss things we don't know about, alright?

Point is it would be fun for it to be instanced so that is need not involve the general population, even on a PVP server. And I said "gang fight" because it would be between the rival gangs.

So, please tell me the difference between a war of two clans on a pvp server in varrok and what you are suggesting? That it's safe? There have been bronze/etc wars before, nothing stops you from organizing one.

Also, Gava, i don't see what's wrong with being conservative. Why does every MMORPG need to be a hybrid/mirror image of one another? Can't we have something....original?

I don't like this idea as in: Every week a city will be swamped with demons causing complete carnage and killing people left and right.

What I could see working is something like a City War D&D. Every 2 hours some place in RuneScape will be swamped by monsters, wherein you can join the fight by talking to an NPC in an instanced area. Possible faction vs. faction warring or you against the horde with rewards in the end?

I could see it being possible very easily. Relekka being swarmed by Dagannoth, Burgh de Rott being swarmed by Vampyres, Varrock being swarmed by Undead, Tree gnome village by Khazard troops, Ardougne by Sea slug'd zombies, Piscatoris by Sea trolls...

I like this idea, but implemented differently to cater more to RuneScape's style of play.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

So, please tell me the difference between a war of two clans on a pvp server in varrok and what you are suggesting? That it's safe? There have been bronze/etc wars before, nothing stops you from organizing one.

Also, Gava, i don't see what's wrong with being conservative. Why does every MMORPG need to be a hybrid/mirror image of one another? Can't we have something....original?

This has a mix of NPCs in it; it's not just straight up PvP, at least for the ones I mentioned...

I feel that RuneScape's (or JaGEx's) greatest strength is altering and adapting ideas to fit into this theme. If you think back, that was the entire reason they replaced Romeo and Juliet with Grunground.

This is exactly why I proposed any such event be converted into a mostly optional D&D that fit a specific area and theme, rather than a random attack as it seems the video shows. D&Ds relying on this game's original elements and choice flow well for RuneScape whereas forced events don't.

2dgucz6.png

Be more like an activity. It wouldn't just be players, but NPCs as well with objectives to try and accomplish, not just dropping in some monsters in a city or a bunch of people piling around hitting each other.

Be more like an activity. It wouldn't just be players, but NPCs as well with objectives to try and accomplish, not just dropping in some monsters in a city or a bunch of people piling around hitting each other.

Sounds like alot of the minigames we already have...only it's in varrock...

Sounds like alot of the minigames we already have...only it's in varrock...

Not so much, most of them are PVP or non combat all together. Also, it could be done in varying ways so it changes often. No point is discussing it as most bitter players don't consider anything outside of what they enjoy.

Oh yes, another ''why can't runescape have ''insert feature'' like in ''insert MMORPG''?'' Y'know, if your mother didn't have a ''insert v word'', she wouldn't be your mother. This is runescape, and it has runescape-ish things, deal with it.(every game can't be tailor-made for everyone and have all features possible)

I simple "I wouldn't like this." would have been plenty. No need to cut the OP's head off for asking a question.

I like Unknwnwrrior's suggestion of adding an optional instanced version of the city and having an NPC you could talk to if you wanted to enter the fight.

Eh, just get Guild Wars 2 when it comes out.

This will be based around Dynamic Content & spontaneous events.

Also I think the mechanics of Runescape would severely limit what "events" can be held, outside the norm.

You can't have a GM specific event, as each server only holds 2k people, and if you can't get on, then you are automatically excluded.

I believe D&D's which are community supported - See, Penguins, shoot stars, fish flingers, evil tree, etc. Are sort of dynamic events in Runescape.

Also Runescapes version of these side activities is to create a Minigame for it. Which provides plenty of variety, via the mechanics of the game at hand.

That's without the death system in Runescape. Unlike other games where there is limited if not any death penalty.

Lastly, because Runescape is a thriving game(playerbase wise) - with many automated D&D's and the like, there is no need for GM intervention or buggering about.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com