Older Players

abacus3

True, but that wasn't what you posted later on.

I was under the impression it was understood.

It's not? You must be blind to the truth then, mate. What you're suggesting is splitting the servers into age groups. And denying access for certain people because of their age is discriminating.

Ageism.jpg

:shock: Discrimination! Ageism! I think we should sue Shockwave.

And even if you wouldn't deny them access, not a good amount of people would be bothered about the age limitations. Not to mention the fact that it's not very realistic. Why? Because limiting ages on servers would cripple the amount of people on servers and you really think Jagex would be up to it?

And to what do you owe this knowlege? Care to provide any concrete evidence?

*edit*

and I <3 cabbage. so green, and leafy, and good.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only question for the 'older' people playing (say 23+) is why do they play?

For the same reasons you do... because games are fun.

This has always been a lingering pet peeve of mine. Adults can get on here whenever they want, for however long they want, it makes it extremely unfair for the "youth" to have any fighting chance against them....its just really, really unfair.

Aw diddums... life is unfair, get used to it. And no, we can't just get on and play whenever we like. We have jobs to go to, families to feed, houses to maintain, kids to run around after and bills to be paid. After all that, I might be able to squeeze in an hour or two of gaming before bed. Unlike kids who can get on here whenever they want for however long they want ;)

siganizq4.gif

Shocked Discrimination! Ageism! I think we should sue Shockwave.

I think we should :twisted:

And what do i need to provide evidence for, a theory based on logics and common sense?

Alright, I think I'm just about ready to burry the hatchet. It's not like its going to happen anyway. Nevertheless, good thread =P

*edit*

and I <3 cabbage. so green, and leafy, and good.

My fault for not being more specific. I know games are fun, but I was looking for something more logical. Something like:

I love this game & have friends on my list ranging from 13 to 50 something. I wouldn't mind an adult only server myself, but I mean no disrespect to the younger players. I have frequently been asked why I play. I enjoy gaming, I enjoy having something to do late at night after my family goes to bed if I can't sleep, & I find it fun to raise skills & do quests. Keeping an open mind makes life fun, and helps me stay young :D

That is more the type of answer I was looking for.

And, out of curiousity... are most of you 'older' players members? (it makes more sense for them to be... but one can never be sure)

My fault for not being more specific. I know games are fun, but I was looking for something more logical. Something like:

I love this game & have friends on my list ranging from 13 to 50 something. I wouldn't mind an adult only server myself, but I mean no disrespect to the younger players. I have frequently been asked why I play. I enjoy gaming, I enjoy having something to do late at night after my family goes to bed if I can't sleep, & I find it fun to raise skills & do quests. Keeping an open mind makes life fun, and helps me stay young :D

That is more the type of answer I was looking for.

And, out of curiousity... are most of you 'older' players members? (it makes more sense for them to be... but one can never be sure)

Ok, let me give it a try then:

I'm one of the older players to -- 52 to be precise -- and I have had fun with computer games for decades, especially RPGs. I even played RPGs when they had no graphics, just text.

Used to be an ardent Diablo fan for a while, but it just got boring doing the same stuff over and over again.

To me it's relaxation late at night, getting a couple of hours of gaming in. I've always loved games where you could work on skills and chat with a few friends, and mine range from 13 to even older than me. Age is not the criterion, maturity is.

As to the question about membership, I am a member, but not all of my friends are.

To sum it up, Runescape is fun to play, there are lots of quests and there is always something new to do, so it's perfect for me.

lysi2nr.jpg

I will get that little Phoenix chick!!!!!

I'm Abacus3. I started this thread asking if there were any other older players & asking if some age specific servers might be useful.

I am shocked that anyone replied, but I'm really tickled at the level of interest and suggestions. I've had a lot of support and a few private messages inviting me to join boards populated by us old timers. Thanks to all for your interest and thoughts.

Amaze of Death expressed my feelings exactly saying that age segregation would be an individual choice. I don't hate all younger players and don't think age is always an indicator of maturity. But as another expressed, it would be nice to fish or mine or do other somewhat boring tasks and have a conversation that interest me. In other words, no momma jokes, racial slurs, endless meaningless keystrokes, etc.

Why do I, an older person, play? It's a diversion from the reality of day-to-day stress, frustration and struggle. In the RuneScape world, success is measurable and achievable. Unlike the real world, I can take risks with my money, possessions and life and get them all back fairly easily. I enjoy making friends and teaming together for a common good. I play a role that real life can't offer.

I love the game & will continue to play. Even with age specific servers, IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢d always want the choice to play in a general population world. I get lots of help from younger players and also give help to them. I really find that rewarding - a payback for those that helped me.

Happy holidays to all,

Abacus3

I'd rather wear out, than rust out.

Well at least half to two-thirds of the Runescapers are probably teenagers or younger :|

Ah, you're wrong there, the average age of runescapers is 35.

(Go pointless facts!)

cant be, at all mid range maybe. but definitely not average. other wize your saying that more than half of all runescape players are over 35. there are some, a few thousand maybe but no way fully half

The great NOOB-TIONARY has Return-ed!

hara's fight for lvl 85 mining currently at 70!

Thanks folks!

I do interact with some younger players, but mostly, I'm a lone wolf because there's not enough common ground - generations apart.

Abacus3

I feel the exact same way and I'm 17...

All I can say is, thank God for the Public Chat- Off option. :P

Same, but I'm 18.

im 14 (15 in 8 days) and yesterday i saw my freinds mom, almost got awkward cus i had a message half typed out and all of the sudden it clicked, IT WAS MY FREINDS MOM!!!AHHHHHHHH :lol: anyways, deleted it from, something, looking back on it, that was slightly inapropriate :shock: to "hello mrs _____" anyways lol shes like 40+

31 here .. soon to be 32 :D have been playing for the last few years .. and I intend to continue to play until it isn't fun anymore.

See, that's the thing about life .. people have a tendency to place restrictions on things that we do based on age .. IMO you shouldn't quit doing anything because you are too old - quit doing it because you no longer get any enjoyment out of it.

rganimatedqg5.gif

Well at least half to two-thirds of the Runescapers are probably teenagers or younger :|

Ah, you're wrong there, the average age of runescapers is 35.

(Go pointless facts!)

cant be, at all mid range maybe. but definitely not average. other wize your saying that more than half of all runescape players are over 35. there are some, a few thousand maybe but no way fully half

Maybe half of the p2p players.

See, that's the thing about life .. people have a tendency to place restrictions on things that we do based on age .. IMO you shouldn't quit doing anything because you are too old - quit doing it because you no longer get any enjoyment out of it.

Thats so true :)

36 here, playing runescape on and off from the start.

Please think before you ask a question. If you ask the right question, its much more likely you get the answer you are looking for :)

Gugge.png

Moly.png

I'm sure there are heaps of 40+ players. I personally have quite a few over the 40 and 50 mark on my friends list. Why do I think there are heaps? ... because it is a game that can be played at the pace you dictate it to be, and it is a diversion from rl that you can fit into any daily schedule. RS draws on a lot of themes in its gameplay catering to a wide range of ages...there are a lot of adult themes included. The opportunities for role playing extends way beyond pking and such, with longevity in the game and gradual building of skill levels requiring patience and resolve ... all appealing to "older" players.

What I have also found is that many 40+ players usually have children that play as well, and I can only see that as being healthy. Personally, I'd really love to see a massive increase of "older players", and :lol: i guess Jagex would too.

this game was made for kids not adults...

You must be pretty narrow minded to be so sure... Its a game that attracts all ages, that much is clear!

Please think before you ask a question. If you ask the right question, its much more likely you get the answer you are looking for :)

Gugge.png

Moly.png

Not at all....we're out there.....after all the most exciting electronic games we had growing up were things like "Operation" and "Perfection".....nothing like Runescape! Do you remember a handheld game called "Merlin"? It was my pride and joy during one Xmas I remember! haha those were the days......

~Gweny

Gwynefar.png

Some quick background.......

I just found this game a couple months ago on Miniclip's site and signed up for f2p to see what it was about (have since gone P2P since I play so much). I've never been into RPG games before, but with the type of work I do I have to keep awake for extended periods of time (12 hour shifts) with little to nothing to do other than browse the internet. Runescape has been perfect at filling that gap. Since I started wandering around the world of Runescape I was cutting oaks, then willows, etc. I'm now cutting mages and working for that elusive lvl 99 WC (currently 93); then I'll move onto something else I suppose. Currently I'm a lvl 23 overall - gonna make some dough before I venture out to fight & kill. My worst experience so far was 3 days after I got my camo pants (from the Drill Demon Random) and was walking back to Lumby to get my rune axes repaired by Bob. I passed the jailer's area and lagged out - saw all the red and blue splashes around me and clicked like mad, but to no avail - I died (killed by a jailer) and lost my nice new camo pants; oh well :roll: - I'm still such a noob :P :lol:

My opinion.......

I agree that age has nothing to do with maturity - and thank goodness for the ignore feature. I enjoy seeing posts from people my age and older; now if I could just run into somebody while playing - that would be something to talk about - most everybody I meet is under 18. If anybody is feeling bored add me if you'd like; RSname = Wickate.

As for the option for worlds separated by age - if it's done it should be like somebody suggested - just an option. As in, you can go into any world you like; you are not forced just because of age. In the end I don't think it would matter - because everybody will wind up just going into whatever world they want and the lines will become so blurred it would have little change (maybe). (Like I'm in the London worlds a lot, even though I live in Arizona)

Perhaps as someone suggested a clan or message board dedicated to "older" players would be most helpful. This could organize people and give folks a chance to pass some time on Runescape with others that have the same interests, etc.

Overall, I'm still so new to this that I don't have much information to properly form stout opinions; however, I'm glad to see so many others have such good ideas.

Happy new year!

CVinje