Older Players

abacus3

I am 25 and a female. I primarily spend my time alone in game. I do not play often. Tonight was the first time I'd logged on in a few months.

I don't have a problem with anyone's age young or old but I do tend not to share mine.

If you're an older player who plays members feel free to add Azriella to your friends list if you want someone to talk to. It would sure beat talking to the junior high kids fishing in Catherby.

My only question for the 'older' people playing (say 23+) is why do they play?

I'm 19 (soon), but I mainly play to relieve my mind from school stuff (and the like) and as something entertaining to do.

Either to relieve our minds from college or work lol. Sometimes I need to get my mind off work just as much as school kids need to get their minds off school.

Only thing that really bugs me is when kids start whining that this game is for kids only. Not exactly sure how older players hurt you by playing or why its even your business. I personally don't think really young kids under 12 or 13 really should be playing but that is my own personal bias from working with children for a living and having a college degree in child development/early childhood education. I'm certainly not going to tell young kids they shouldn't be playing but I'll hear 10 year olds saying adults shouldn't play. I don't take orders from kids. I work at a childcare where the youngest child is 3 months and the oldest is 11. But in runescape its between a child and their parents whether they play or not.

I do have to say there are some days when I see the poor grammar of some young players and I hope and pray they write better than that in their high school English classes. :wink:

azriella.png

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i feel older than a lot of people. theyre like "so have you not been on much cus of school?"

and i feel like a fogie going.. "nope, ive been at university"

then i complain about back problems and tell them things were different in my day.

my uncle plays, hes 50+ i think.

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

and i feel like a fogie going.. "nope, ive been at university"

University bah! Whippersnappers these days... when I was your age I had to get up before I went to bed and walk twelve miles through the snow and searing heat - uphill both ways - to get to university, only they didn't have universities back then, just a box. A cardboard box!!! Anyway, I had an onion tied to my belt, as was the fashion at the time...

:)

siganizq4.gif

When you make an account you have to say your age, I bet some people would lie, like me for instance (sp?) Im 11, allthough I want to play so I say Im 13-17 :( (a bit of topic but still acount age).

I have seen some 40 ish people, most people I see are 13-16, sometimes you can tell when there lieing about there age, how there acting.

This is a great topic. Glad I started reading it.

I'm one of the "older" players. I'm 34. I play because I've always liked games set in D&D (Dungeons and Dragons for you younger folks) type environments. With the stresses of work and raising a family, getting to play a game where I get to meet people from around the world for an hour or so is pretty interesting, and helps wind me down before bed. My nephew introduced me to the game and found it facinating. I tend to get my hour of playtime in mostly when everyone is asleep and I'm restless. Once in a while my daughters will want me to log in and help me play (pointing out monsters and asking why I keep getting that "0" when I'm fighting... :D )

I'll talk to anyone who can hold an intelligent conversation, and thusfar that list ranges from people age 11 to the mid 20s. I can't say I've met anyone my age or older, but I think because we mostly tend to be quiet unless spoken to.

In my own opinion, I think the older players tend to be a little more free with their help in-game. I was training at the moss giants on Crandor island this morning and was chatting with some nice person who needed food. They seemed amazed that I would give them my inventory of lobsters. I told them it was no big deal, I'll just go to Karamja and fish for more. It might be an age-perspective thing... they are, after all, just pixels and earning them is most of the fun of the game. I can't count the number of times that I saw people about to die and no one would give food or help without being paid.

Something that is always in the back of my mind, being a parent, is being very careful when chatting and making friends with younger players. Younger people might think it's fun to talk funny to adults (someone I just met fishing calls me "pops" and thinks I'm cool because it doesn't bother me), but the opposite holds true for adults when speaking to younger kids. I know I'd be concerned if I learned my daughters were chatting online with an adult in an online game. It's a symptom of the times we live in. Any of your older players feel the same?

Anyway, thanks for this great topic. Feel free to add me in game or PM me here. Someone suggested starting a clan for the older players. This sounds like a great idea. It can be the Old Fart Clan or some such thing. I'd like to apply for membership!

uber_dad.png

i know an woman round the age of 40 playing.

and 2 man of 40+ and i met one of those man irl, when an friend of mine who was in the same clan as me got in the hospital, and that dude was close to the hospital

not everybody wants to hear the bubblegum pop garbage.

im gonna burn in hell and drink all of satans beer.

trashmetal/deathmetal/hardrock/folkmetal die hard

I believe that anyone who wishes to play should be allowed to play unless it is harmful, or the person is like really young. It's ok to play even though you're a senior citizen. I don't know any of the "older" people who play. I know a female in her late 20's and a guy in his 30's. I, myself, am 19 turning 20 in December. Most others I know who play are 13-17.

P.S.- Chicks who play video games are cool in my opinion. :wink:

Noctis666.png

Since Runescape was advertised on miniclip there have been alot of 10-12 year old players. But most of the high leveled members are quite old( and mature). I've had a few 10 year olds on my list, but i don't really ask people their ages

galaxyg is like 50+

my friend tameelf is 58

i got alot of 20+ year old friends thats like 90% of my list

im 19 atm almsot 20 myself

-mega-

As one of the parents said in an earlier post, because of the times we live in, care needs to be taken when as an adult, you are conversing with a minor.

I do worry about that. Especially requests to be the girlfriend of an 11 year old.

What a world!

Abacus3

I'd rather wear out, than rust out.

I dont hardly play RS anymore, but when i started i was just a kid myself... I'm 19 now and i like to check on the progress of this game.. So far i've watched a decline, back before members was released the game was very fun and the community was pretty nice... I hopped on the members train right away and spent many days dueling in lumby, one memory that stays, is when i won about 8 sets of rune in one day and lost it all the next.

I have only just started playing RuneScape and already I have been laughed at because I'm over 30 (I'm 32) and I am playing a kids game.

Well hello, I like playing RuneScape, it is a great way to relaxe after a hard days studying, housework, keeping and eye on my chooks, ducks and sheep (gotta make sure they behave themselves and don't go through the front fence, in the sheeps case, over it) and making sure my cats are behaving themselves aswell.

After doing that all day, I put the chooks and ducks in their night pen, kick hubby off the computer and play Runescape for an hour, cook tea, kick hubby off computer again and play for another hour before heading off to bed all nice and relaxed and feeling good about myself.

Happy_Aussie.png

This is a good topic & I'd hate to see some other players missing it because it's fallen off the first couple pages.

I was encouraged to find so many other "older" players so hopefully somebody will see this and get the same reaction as I.

I think the idea for a clan geared towards older players is great - if nobody wants to take it up, I may try looking into the idea once I become more knowledgeable in the RS world.

See ya,

CVinje (RSname: Wickate)

I stumbled upon this thread thinking it was in reference to players that were around a long time ago, but I was mistaken. I do, however, know a few old players. One is a man in his mid 30s I believe and is now part of Jagex staff when I last talked to him. The other is a lunch monitor at my school with combat of over 100. Back in the day, over 100 combat was nearly unheard of...

I just come across this thread by accident so many good points , me and a friend were just talking about that there should be acouple of worlds that for us older people im 37 ive always played rpg's and used to play rsc as it is now known.I find this relaxing after stress of work , and it is sometimes uncomfortable talking with youngsters around .....

Anybody wants to add me feel free

I'm 25 and I like to play RS when I have time to relax a bit.

It's nice to know there are some older players out there, because the generation gap with all these kids who never knew a world without the internet is huge :-)

With regard to the 12 year olds who act like it, just do what everyone does with annoying children: ignore them :-)