New Option: Buy Banned Accounts

stormfire64

The rate at which people can buy gold would definitely overcome the rate of inflation. It would just screw over anyone who doesn't want to buy gold. And pretty much all of f2p. It would just turn the game into another type of rpg.

Let's say the cash shop was offered only to paying members as they've proven they got the money to spend. F2P officially being it's own game wouldn't really be affected overmuch. (F2P is, when looked at outside of Jagex's statement as being otherwise, honestly a demo.) Of course, it'll open a whole can of new problems.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Jagex were to sell gold for $1/mil, I doubt any RWT companies would be able to beat that price. They wouldn't be able to turn a profit like that, when you take into account the costs of memberships, internet, and the sweatshop workers who while they are paid pennies on the dollar still do have to be paid.

From what I've heard from a real life friend who RWTs, the price is already nearly that low anyway.

Jagex could very well offer such a low price that RWTers wouldn't feel like it's worth doing any longer, but on the same coin, I doubt Jagex, as a company, would as well.

Also, looking from a different perspective, if Jagex sold gold for say $0.50/mil, there could be more of a profit loss from people getting fed up and quitting the game than the money that Jagex could make from RWT. Over half the price per mil than RWT websites AND something that will keep you from getting banned by Jagex? Hell yeah, I'm sure a lot of people would bite that bait. A lot of people would quit too, not to mention that it would totally screw the game economy if Jagex spawned gold to sell to people (leading to more quitters).

Content. Actual, in-game content that doesn't really involve mindless grinding. Things like fighting Jad, or castle wars, or quests. Hell, even dungeoneering. That is the only way Jagex will be able to keep enough players in an ocean full of gold. Some of us do find chopping trees down and laying a trail of fire as relaxing and like the laid-back attitude compared to other MMORPGs. But going by the amount of bots in the game there is a sizeable population that clearly do not like the grind and just simply want to go straight into what they think of as the real game, i.e. pking.

As for the 50cents per mil, it's something more along the lines of 25-30 cents per mil. And Jagex can beat the RWTers by offering good service and absolutely no risk of the account being compromised which dealing with RWTers sometimes does.

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

- They reduce stats instead of banning botters to make more $ off monthly payments

- They bring back free trade and wild to get more $ off subscribers

- They allow people to buy back banned accounts for $ and potential $ off subscriptions

Somewhere down the road that's gotta lead to microtransactions.

'Come check out the new Dragonic Wings! For a limited time only in the Cash Shop at a special introductory price of 3000 Jcoins!' (30$)

F2P games are much more profitable for game developers than P2P ones, and they require less work and less content. Maybe Jagex got fed up and decided to try and squeeze maximum money out of the game. On F2P games, the "big spenders"(I call them freaks tbh) are easily putting thousands of dollars a year into various items that give them an edge over normal people. Probably Jagex is now trying to tap into all that potential money.

They would most likely start with cosmetic items that don't give you any actual advantage other than looks, and then when they've softened you up, they start adding stuff that makes an actual game play difference.

As for the 50cents per mil, it's something more along the lines of 25-30 cents per mil. And Jagex can beat the RWTers by offering good service and absolutely no risk of the account being compromised which dealing with RWTers sometimes does.

At that rate, it'd be like our government trying to stop Al Qaeda by out-terroristing them.

"We're going to blow up two of your buildings"

"Yea well we're going to level the entire state of Texas with a barrage of Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles."

Then we can all revel in how Jagex truly was not only the direct cause of their own death, but that suicide was the only thing they were truly efficient at.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

At that rate, it'd be like our government trying to stop Al Qaeda by out-terroristing them.

"We're going to blow up two of your buildings"

"Yea well we're going to level the entire state of Texas with a barrage of Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles."

Then we can all revel in how Jagex truly was not only the direct cause of their own death, but that suicide was the only thing they were truly efficient at.

Hah. But what else can Jagex do to stay afloat as the years roll by and players migrate to other, newer games?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and mention Steam and DRM. No one likes DRM apart from masochists. But Steam has made it so that it isn't really too much of an intrusion. People don't mind it due to how well they're serviced by the company.

Then again Jagex is quite poor at the customer service department.

EDIT:

It ruins the fun for everyone who worked for their levels and accomplishments.

no it doesn't

my levels and accomplishments are just as valuable to me even if joe shmoe botted and rwt'd to 2400 total and 4b bank.

Being in a mmorpg obviously means people compare themselves so much to others. They'd be a lot happier if they didn't and just focused on how they like to play.

1emk2e.png

Mils on the black market are already going for under 1$ if you find the right person.

Only reason gp was so expensive before was because only a select few knew how to transfer a substantial amount in a short time and well yeah..no need for that now.

I just browsed[insert bad site here] for less than a minute and saw well over 5b+ going for under 1$/M, jagex would have to go extremely low with their prices if they wanted to knock most rwt sites off.

Lastly, jagex is a business meaning they'll do pretty much anything to make money, I see nothing wrong with unbanning accounts for money.

That's their whole purpose anyway, isn't it?

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

This is old news. I told everyone under the Rants thread of Jagex forum stating that this entire vote is means to restore the old RWT. Bots won and Jagex gave up. They want their cut of the profit so they're willing to accept money from botters to let them get back their stats/account and bot on a new macro until they make a better detection to track better bot programs.

It's like a game of chess. You beat me to posting it here but I'm working on informing the other main websites of RuneScape. Won't name them here obviously but this NEEDS to be spread all around to legit players to gather and give Jagex the trump card saying "Stop catering to botters. Stop roll backs. Just ban their ass! And NO MORE offering RWT for unbans!"

You beat me to this site but here is my 2 cents a bit late...

Support this thread if you're NOT a bot and you feel RWT to Jagex or ANYONE is an unfair advantage...

Quick find code: 129-130-480-62302271

http://[Use Quick Find Code]/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?129,130,480,62302271,7,299273172

The following issue arose while talking to Duke Needles about the recent unban of Duriel321.

Checked and confirmed. The following is a direct quote from the link below. It is taken from Jagex's RuneScape page at Customer Support > Ban Appeals > Ban Appeal Reinstatement...

http://www.runescape.com/c=TEcyEzzG1aI/kbase/guid/bans_and_mutes

Banned Account Reinstatement

If Jagex bans any account as a result of your breach of the Rules of RuneScape and you have exhausted the Offence Appeals Process, Jagex may, in its absolute discretion, give you an opportunity to make a fixed payment to reinstate the account.

Any membership credit that is associated with an account cannot be used to pay for such reinstatement. Please note that throughout the period during which the account was banned, any membership credit will continue to expire.

Jagex is not obliged to reinstate any accounts. You are not obliged to exercise the option to reinstate your account. If you are offered the opportunity, it is entirely up to you whether you make any such payment to reinstate an account.

Any gains or advantages that Jagex considers were made as a result of using macros shall be removed from your account. You accept that the account will be returned to you, adjusted by Jagex to take account of the cheating offence, and no discussion will be entered into regarding the status of a returned account.

I immediately hauled off to the source. Entered clan channel Mod MMG and directed the statement to the active audience. Let them decide for themselves and spread the ill word that Jagex strikes yet again. First was bans against people that said Google or YouTube, then came price manipulation on Climbing Boots, now selling unbans for a set rate IRL.

I'll upload the video of my rank at Mod MMG cc to YouTube later. I'll also be contacting all my fellow rioters for support on this issue: Forsandg, Logdotzip, NightmareRh. One of those would LOVE to jump in on this news.

As for the forum front. I've posted a topic under "Rants" to earn support for Jagex offering an "unfair advantage" to rule offenders.

Posted at Quick find code 129-130-480-62302271

Can anyone explain to me why changes take place in RuneScape that NOBODY voted in?

The entire "Bring back Wild" was a mere distraction from the TRUE matter at hand.

While they claimed it would put us back to the way thing were, it actually threw the game into an even deeper pit than ever before!

Take example this matter. Under Customer Support > Ban Appeals > Ban Appeal Reinstatement it claims the following.

(Quote from above shown in thread.)

What does this mean for us? It means botters can pay for bot programs to max every 99. Under the new policy where bots are no longer banned only rolled back -- they get famous for being combat 4 with a Fire Cape. THEN if they get banned for anything that isn't botting they can RWT to pay Jagex for something which ISN'T mere cosmetic benefit. They can buy a ban appeal with 100% success rate.

Imagine never having to worry about being banned again! Because you can throw down 50-100$ to Jagex and get back in the game.

After the summary, closing statement post made was...

Related discussion:

15-16-352-62300241

The moron that made the new Customer Support > Ban Appeals page needs to get fired. If this took place under Mod Andrew's watch there would be no bots. He ruled this game with an iron fist.

What has Mod MMG brought to this game? He didn't bring HDif you recall that occurred under Andrew's reign.

No. What MMG brought to this game was GE which allows price manipulation of Climbing Boots. He also reverted the hard word of YEARS by Andrew to remove laundried money from crime organizations OUT of the game. It put a damper on bots that freely traded items to mains in case bot accounts were banned under Andrew's "no excuses" policy that first offense using any macro meant instant perm ban FOREVER!

Another thing MMG brings to game is a vote where bots can vote 10 per second to bring back RWT. Now that RWT is here there was a hidden update to the appeal policy including the "unfair advantage" for those with riches in RL to no longer fear the banhammer.

If you agree Jagex seems to have gone to the dark side sign this thread. If you feel paying for unbans is in good intentioned for RuneScape reply with your reasoning for this support of Jagex.

Thanks. And happy 'scaping to everyone!

Honestly, with the whole jagex resetting botted stats thing, i didn't think they were out for money. I just thought it was another stupid thing that they did that they thought would remedy the problem somehow.

But now I'm pretty sure that this is just going to encourage people to bot on their main accounts. Where previously most people wouldn't risk their main account getting banned, and just do it on a pure to get it up to a PKing level. Now they'll be like "Oh, my account is banned. Time to pay twenty-five bucks and get it back."(Assuming that the buyback price is relatively low)

Plus it'll just bring new annoying pures to the wild that have specific items at low stats(EG: The 10 def pure with turmoil i heard about on another thread) if they just reset stats, and make it easy for players to recovered their banned botted accounts, these rule-broken pures will be a much more common sight.

I could maybe see if the buyback price was around 100$ that it would discourage players, but you never know. People will do crazy things for their pixels.

I have lost severe respect for Jagex over the last few years. And this is doing nothing but making me hate them more. Apparently they're just another company that wants to milk money out of their game in as many ways as possible.

Heh. I remember a FAQ that a player asked Jagex if they would start doing things for extra money like selling items for real money/ect. If i remember correctly, their reply was something to the tune of "Absolutely not! In fact, Jagex stands for Just About Gaming Experience."

Ha. What a load of [cabbage].

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

Honestly, with the whole jagex resetting botted stats thing, i didn't think they were out for money. I just thought it was another stupid thing that they did.

But now I'm pretty sure that this is just going to encourage people to bot on their main accounts. Where previously most people wouldn't risk their main account getting banned, and just do it on a pure to get it up to a PKing level. Now they'll be like "Oh, my account is banned. Time to pay twenty-five bucks and get it back."(Assuming that the buyback price is relatively low)

Plus it'll just bring new annoying pures to the wild that have specific items at low stats(EG: The 10 def pure with turmoil i heard about on another thread) if they just reset stats, and make it easy for players to recovered their banned botted accounts, these rule-broken pures will be a much more common sight.

I could maybe see if the buyback price was around 100$ that it would discourage players, but you never know. People will do crazy things for their pixels.

I have lost severe respect for Jagex over the last few years. And this is doing nothing but making me hate them more. Apparently they're just another company that wants to milk money out of their game in as many ways as possible.

Heh. I remember a FAQ that a player asked Jagex if they would start doing things for extra money like selling items for real money/ect. If i remember correctly, their reply was something to the tune of "Absolutely not! In fact, Jagex stands for Just About Gaming Experience."

I think the stat resets are something permanent, that you can't pay to reverse. This would discourage people from botting on their main, even if they spend the money to get it back, some of their stats have been wiped, destroying the point of botting in the first place.

I think this would have a beneficial affect on the game, honestly. It allows banned players a second chance at redemption at a price, but that same price drives away someone "playing" (botting) Runescape for profit. While this alone won't help crack down on bots, I'm sure it won't make it any easier for them to propogate. If Jagex handles this well, it could work out to benefit the game as a whole. I wouldn't put it past them, they do think things out more than some give them credit for.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

This is only for accounts that used a macro. Jagex are already doing this so its effectively doing it for already banned accounts.

I'm not sure whether they will unban RWT accounts though and how this will affect people with those bans.

Razz,

The people who bot on their main accounts will always have the risk of having it hacked and cleaned out. Just look at the mass hack thread in this forum. But they freely made that choice to cheat and they should understand the consequences of it. If they don't think botting doesn't come with risks ... well then, they're idiots, and that's that.

I suggest leaving p2p and just go f2p if you've had enough. Or you could just go play another game altogether. Hard to do anyway, isn't it, what with all the time invested in this game.

My own limit is when they start selling items to f2pers for a cash-born advantage. I'll have found something else to do then.

1emk2e.png

Honestly, with the whole jagex resetting botted stats thing, i didn't think they were out for money. I just thought it was another stupid thing that they did.

I think the stat resets are something permanent, that you can't pay to reverse. This would discourage people from botting on their main, even if they spend the money to get it back, some of their stats have been wiped, destroying the point of botting in the first place.

I think this would have a beneficial affect on the game, honestly. It allows banned players a second chance at redemption at a price, but that same price drives away someone "playing" (botting) Runescape for profit. While this alone won't help crack down on bots, I'm sure it won't make it any easier for them to propogate. If Jagex handles this well, it could work out to benefit the game as a whole. I wouldn't put it past them, they do think things out more than some give them credit for.

I agree with you, and i knew that there would be no point in botting after buying your account back. As I'm pretty sure you would be under some sort of watch for suspicious behavior. Thus discouraging it.

But i personally believe it's a second chance they shouldn't get the privileged to have. I still stand firmly that if a account has solid evidence against it in the case of botting, it should be permanently banned. But this method doesn't profit, so i doubt the system will go back to this. With how money-grubbing jamflex has become.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

I agree with you, and i knew that there would be no point in botting after buying your account back. As I'm pretty sure you would be under some sort of watch for suspicious behavior. Thus discouraging it.

But i personally believe it's a second chance they shouldn't get the privileged to have. I still stand firmly that if a account has solid evidence against it in the case of botting, it should be permanently banned. But this method doesn't profit, so i doubt the system will go back to this. With how money-grubbing jamflex has become.

If it's almost certain that they won't bot again, and they have all their botted stats undone, why not let them back? If they're willing to pay money to get their account back, I'm sure they must really want it back. Denying them that would seem rather spiteful.

Since it isn't hurting anyone, why not? I don't see how it would encourage anyone else to bot, I mean they would have their botted stats reset and would have to pay money to get it back. If anything, I would think it would discourage people to bot for levels, as they might look at it as though they have money at stake if they get banned.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

My god, people are so melodramatic on this forum. Jagex will give SOME players the ability to buy a banned account back at their discretion.

Does this mean it's the Runescape apocalypse? No. Jagex isn't a dam charity, it's a business. If you disagree with it's ethics/morals/business model then don't play the dam game.

Sylpheed.png

So now you can just RWT (like: sell your phat set), and if you happen to get banned for it, just pay a fraction of what you just made, and rebuy your account? Nice one Jagex, wtf.

The logical course of action would be to demand more money than what was made by RWTing, or simply not give the buy back option for serious offences like this.

This thread's got more slippery slopes than an Arctic glacier. To allow microtransactions would defeat the point of any progress in the game as inflation hits. There's no point in considering it further.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

It's about morals.

Jagex has none.

The end.

If you would care to support the main thread for this it's posted at RS forums in the info below. Responded to by Mod Lorenzo and Mod Kat thus far. More to come as time progressed.

Quick find code: 129-130-874-62301629

I can tell you right now this won't end well.

This "set price" will be used to keep bots in check through new RuneScape. If too many players bot the "set price" will rise. If not many users bot this price shall lower.

It ensures just the right number of bots keep playing RuneScape to maintain areas like Pest Control and Soul Wars and Clan Wars and Bounty Hunter. So long as those areas are used then single users can join their theme world for a minigame and instantly join in.

If bots begin to overpopulate the game, their counter measure will be to raise the price for unban. Simple as that.

I have played Runescape for 9 years now and have ALWAYS played by the rules. It is why I have never been hacked, muted or banned AND I have a clean record! So to me, this is a big slap in the face for being honest, loyal and trustworthy to Jagex.

Trust me, I am all for second chances, however to release the worst of the worst offenders is just too much for me. I am seriously considering stopping reporting on any and all rule breakers I see in the game from now on, as I feel the leniency of their dishonesty will only increase with time and this new feature doesnt help it the slightest. Unless Jagex can enlighten me as to why I should continue reporting players bad behaviour, I feel 'being good' is all for nothing :-(

2vuhgcn.png

Triquos: You're as shocked as I.

I've been here 2003-2011. I got banned August 2005 for mention of my YouTube channel.

I've never been famous like Excl but I've been on YouTube longer than Zezima's join date. And yet I get the banhammer.

I didn't pay Jagex because we didn't have that option until 2011. I had to sit and wait while my final chance was declined.

2009 rolls around. Tehnoobshow says "Let's have a YouTube gathering" on the forums and suddenly all is forgiven. I get my account back as Rule-11 is removed forever!

The moral of the story goes.. those whom break KNOWN rules as I have under old Rule-11 changed from "No Scam Websites" to just "No Websites" back in 2005 year start was my fault. And I have paid the price in years not money.

Offering money to let offenders of FAR WORSE offense off with a mere slap on the wrist and 24-hour "perm ban" isn't acceptable. If Mod Andrew were still around this game would run FAR better. He always had a zero-tolerance policy when it came to bots. All Mod MMG and Mod SteveW do is roll them around.