Um - is RWT not reportable any more?

Blyaunte

There was. Honestly, if I can't find an option that fits with the thing I'm reporting I just select the option closest to it. All it does is send a chat/game log to Jagex within the last minute. I'm not even sure if they actually look at the logs from a report sometimes. I think they just run the log through an algorithm and see if they can find anything that resembles a violation of a rule. Considering they probably get 10mil+ reports a day I wouldn't be surprised since having a QA team of that size to deal with all the reports simply would cost way too much.

10 million? Really?? :S I've probably reported about 4 people in the 6-7 years I've been playing, I'm sure many are the same. I doubt there's more than 5,000 a day.

I've seen mod wannabes reporting people for every little thing trying to get that all mighty silver crown next to their names. 10million's probably an exaggeration but I can see 50,000-100,000 a day at least (Just think of all the f2p people who will report every single thing) Just going through 5,000 chat logs will take at least 2-3 people a day. At minimum wage in the UK at 1,138 Euros/Month (Source: Google Public Data) it would cost them 40,000+ Euros a year. Considering its not too expensive to make a computer run through chat logs to search for keywords such as F-Bombs, IRL transaction details, and websites, that alone will save Jagex a whole lot of work/money. It makes sense both financially and from an efficiency standpoint.

120dgl.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit to being a bit confused. There seem to be people here who think that rule-breaking is normal and should go unhindered, while the real problem is those "rats" who follow the game's rules and report those breaking them.

Did the guy break any rules? Not that i know of. So if he didn't, and he didn't insult the OP in any way, what did he exactly do wrong? The offense he is being accused of can't be dealt with within rs chat screen, so why even have the option there. If i said that i bought rs gp from you, should both of us be banned from these forums?

Firstly, there's a difference between admitting to a crime, and accusing someone else of a crime.

Secondly, I guess the real question I have is whether you think that this player admitting to RWTing was lying (for some reason?), or whether you think that it's okay to break the rules so long as you're not caught immediately. I.E. if breaking the rules in a certain way doesn't get you caught, then it's okay to talk about it, and no punishment should come down on you since they didn't catch you when they had the chance.

RWTing isn't a crime, and people can talk about anything they want. Talking about doing something and actually doing it are two separate entities, and unless you lie on an official federal hearing, your words can't or atleast shouldn't be used against you. In the situation described, the OP has no idea if the guy did as he said, or was just blowing smoke, thus there is neither a reason for reporting him nor there being an rwt report option. Jagex handles rwt cases on a separate basis as they actually have the means to prove something like this(not just go with the he-said-she-said stuff).

Also, i'd be admitting to rule-breaking at the same time as dragging you into it. It wouldn't really be an accusation.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I have to admit to being a bit confused. There seem to be people here who think that rule-breaking is normal and should go unhindered, while the real problem is those "rats" who follow the game's rules and report those breaking them.

Did the guy break any rules? Not that i know of. So if he didn't, and he didn't insult the OP in any way, what did he exactly do wrong? The offense he is being accused of can't be dealt with within rs chat screen, so why even have the option there. If i said that i bought rs gp from you, should both of us be banned from these forums?

Firstly, there's a difference between admitting to a crime, and accusing someone else of a crime.

Secondly, I guess the real question I have is whether you think that this player admitting to RWTing was lying (for some reason?), or whether you think that it's okay to break the rules so long as you're not caught immediately. I.E. if breaking the rules in a certain way doesn't get you caught, then it's okay to talk about it, and no punishment should come down on you since they didn't catch you when they had the chance.

RWTing isn't a crime, and people can talk about anything they want. Talking about doing something and actually doing it are two separate entities, and unless you lie on an official federal hearing, your words can't or atleast shouldn't be used against you. In the situation described, the OP has no idea if the guy did as he said, or was just blowing smoke, thus there is neither a reason for reporting him nor there being an rwt report option. Jagex handles rwt cases on a separate basis as they actually have the means to prove something like this(not just go with the he-said-she-said stuff).

Also, i'd be admitting to rule-breaking at the same time as dragging you into it. It wouldn't really be an accusation.

As I understand it, you're saying that if anyone admits to any wrongdoing outside of a court setting, it should be considered hearsay and ignored. I find it hard to believe that you would actually follow such a policy in settings outside of Runescape however.

For example, if someone's significant other admits to cheating on them, should it be ignored because they might be blowing smoke? If you meet a random stranger on the street and start talking with them, and they casually start talking about having murdered someone, would you just let it go because talking about it and actually doing it are two separate entities?

Obviously RWTing is totally different from murder, and I'm not trying to equate the two. I also agree that there are probably countless players submitting bogus reports of abuse for no real reason. However, it seems to me that the OP encountered a situation where a stranger outright admitted to what is, in Runescape, a fairly serious offence. Perhaps you're right and Jagex requires a higher standard of proof to take any action, but I'm just trying to understand the reasons why you think it shouldn't be reported in the first place.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

As I understand it, you're saying that if anyone admits to any wrongdoing outside of a court setting, it should be considered hearsay and ignored. I find it hard to believe that you would actually follow such a policy in settings outside of Runescape however.

For example, if someone's significant other admits to cheating on them, should it be ignored because they might be blowing smoke? If you meet a random stranger on the street and start talking with them, and they casually start talking about having murdered someone, would you just let it go because talking about it and actually doing it are two separate entities?

Obviously RWTing is totally different from murder, and I'm not trying to equate the two. I also agree that there are probably countless players submitting bogus reports of abuse for no real reason. However, it seems to me that the OP encountered a situation where a stranger outright admitted to what is, in Runescape, a fairly serious offence. Perhaps you're right and Jagex requires a higher standard of proof to take any action, but I'm just trying to understand the reasons why you think it shouldn't be reported in the first place.

I think I saw some guys talking about killing cows the other day in some server. Call PETA someone. [cabbage]'s about to go down.

However, it seems to me that the OP encountered a situation where a stranger outright admitted to what is, in Runescape, a fairly serious offence. Perhaps you're right and Jagex requires a higher standard of proof to take any action, but I'm just trying to understand the reasons why you think it shouldn't be reported in the first place.

because jagex removed RWT from the list of reportable options

i dont agree with rwt/account trading/whatever, but people that report every little thing are a pain. :thumbdown:

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

i dont agree with rwt/account trading/whatever, but people that report every little thing are a pain. :thumbdown:

Especially with the new filter, its like turn it on if you don't like bad profanity...

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

However, it seems to me that the OP encountered a situation where a stranger outright admitted to what is, in Runescape, a fairly serious offence. Perhaps you're right and Jagex requires a higher standard of proof to take any action, but I'm just trying to understand the reasons why you think it shouldn't be reported in the first place.

This sounds to me like an entirely different discussion. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me unlikely that this is the reason which would motivate calling the OP a "rat".

Especially with the new filter, its like turn it on if you don't like bad profanity...

I can agree with this. My understanding has always been that particular words are not reportable - why bother censoring if they were, when Jagex could just auto-report them? The context is what's relevant to determining whether something's worth reporting. I.E. if someone's not just tossing out an insult, but going on for 5+ minutes with everything they can think of, etc. I doubt I've reported more than once or twice for that kind of thing in all the time I've been playing.

I do have fairly strong views though about botting, RWTing, stealing accounts with fake RS websites, etc.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

This sounds to me like an entirely different discussion. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me unlikely that this is the reason which would motivate calling the OP a "rat".

Jagex removed the option because they DON'T WANT PEOPLE REPORTING for this because there's no way to know that someone is RWTing in game. OP goes out of her way to report players for this despite Jagex's desires otherwise. if going out of your way to be a rat doesn't make you a rat, i don't know what is.

Jagex removed the option because they DON'T WANT PEOPLE REPORTING for this because there's no way to know that someone is RWTing in game. OP goes out of her way to report players for this despite Jagex's desires otherwise. if going out of your way to be a rat doesn't make you a rat, i don't know what is.

I believe you're correct in theorizing that Jagex took away the option due to bogus, unconfirmable reports. That wasn't the case here. If we're correct about why Jagex removed the option, then this situation should be reported. If you want the OP to be a "rat", come up with a different theory as to why Jagex doesn't want RWT to be reported.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I believe you're correct in theorizing that Jagex took away the option due to bogus, unconfirmable reports. That wasn't the case here. If we're correct about why Jagex removed the option, then this situation should be reported. If you want the OP to be a "rat", come up with a different theory as to why Jagex doesn't want RWT to be reported.

As you talked about hearsay before, you can't punish people if there is no proof(that someone cheated or killed anyone). Talk in rs can't be proof of rwting.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Was the star by the basic mining spot south of lumby?

If it was then i think I passed by you...

(to Blyaunte)

OT RWD cant be stopped, the simple excuse of, "It was a gift" can't really be disputed, they might as well just take it off of the report screen, I mean, really how could it be proven?

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Anyone that just reports someone for the sake of reporting them is an ass kissing suckup who laps up the piss at the heels of their Master, who tells them how much of a good asset they are.

In before Jergens.

Also, in before "racial discrimination" and "I'm a victim because I'm a woman."

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

[hide]

[/hide]

As you talked about hearsay before, you can't punish people if there is no proof(that someone cheated or killed anyone). Talk in rs can't be proof of rwting.

But why exactly doesn't confessing count as proof? If I say in Runescape chat that you did something, agreed, that's obviously hearsay. But if I confess that I did something myself, shouldn't that count for something?

Was the star by the basic mining spot south of lumby?

If it was then i think I passed by you...

(to Blyaunte)

OT RWD cant be stopped, the simple excuse of, "It was a gift" can't really be disputed, they might as well just take it off of the report screen, I mean, really how could it be proven?

Again, if they confessed, how can they say "It was a gift" ? In general you make an excellent point, but regarding this specific case?

Anyone that just reports someone for the sake of reporting them is an ass kissing suckup who laps up the piss at the heels of their Master, who tells them how much of a good asset they are.

How about reporting because you don't want Runescape to be a game where you buy items with real-world cash? How about reporting because those rules aren't just generic "authority" to defy/despise, but because they actually make the game better for the rest of us? Who cares what Jagex thinks, but if they're willing to get rid of some types of problem players, I say that's a good thing for me.

In before Jergens.

Also, in before "racial discrimination" and "I'm a victim because I'm a woman."

lolwut?

You must have a serious grudge against Blyaunte, and apparently anything to do with her. I'm the one who's been arguing that she was in the right in this situation?

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

It's there but in two very specific forms so there can be no vagueness because jagex is always trying to cut down on false reports.

You have "website advertising" and "selling account".

In your particular case you would have needed to witness the transaction and then reported the person who actually sold the gold to the other person for real world items.

That would go under "selling account" or technically part of an account.

Personally, I just mute the clowns on site that spam "buy rs gold @ such and such" or "selling my noob for such and such on another game".

No warning and bam they will never know what hit them, because I'll never say a word. 8-)

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

In any case, anything anyone ever says on the internet can't be interpreted as the truth ...

... and yet people get muted for such infractions all the time -- or used to.

Case in point. My brother-in-law plays as well. One evening, he went down into the Dust Devil's and forgot his facemask. He died and lost some reasonably valuable gear. He was so embarrassed at himself for doing such a noobie thing that, when he was trying to explain to another player where his valuable gear went, he lied and told a story that his son had been on his account and lost the gear.

That player reported him for account sharing.

He was muted and received a "black mark".

He should have read the rules and know account sharing is against the rules. And being honest with himself, dying on a game happens...

WAT?

On the parent centre, it used to encourage parents to play with their children under 13.

Is macroing still reportable?

I care more about you reporting her than anything else. It's cool to kick people when they're down, rite?

ps: this is what part of the alphabet would look like without q and r.

4e0Vn.png

So why the hell do people get mutes then? Besides Jagex's supposed "reporting system" being a load of crap.

a70c7.png

It's there but in two very specific forms so there can be no vagueness because jagex is always trying to cut down on false reports.

In your particular case you would have needed to witness the transaction and then reported the person who actually sold the gold to the other person for real world items.

Personally, I just mute the clowns on site that spam "buy rs gold @ such and such" or "selling my noob for such and such on another game".

No warning and bam they will never know what hit them, because I'll never say a word. 8-)

Probably one of the only times I've seen Golv post something 100% accurate/not trolling :blink:

Anyways, as stated, the situation you were simply is not reportable, unless the actual event took place in front of you.

RWT is still reportable, just under different settings.

Also, about the whole not being able to report for someone admitting.

I just sold 5 accounts

I just got on my friends account 3 times in a row.

Great, I just said it...you report me....jagex still doesn't have proof that I did it, and they never will (assuming I actually didn't)

That's why you can't report people for simply admitting it.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Probably one of the only times I've seen Golv post something 100% accurate/not trolling :blink:

Anyways, as stated, the situation you were simply is not reportable, unless the actual event took place in front of you.

RWT is still reportable, just under different settings.

Also, about the whole not being able to report for someone admitting.

I just sold 5 accounts

I just got on my friends account 3 times in a row.

Great, I just said it...you report me....jagex still doesn't have proof that I did it, and they never will (assuming I actually didn't)

That's why you can't report people for simply admitting it.

>implying Jagex actually needs proof besides you saying you did it.

Not that they would do much of anything if they DID have proof, because they're too busy dealing with all the F2P reports of people who turned off the filter then got offended at people swearing. :rolleyes:

a70c7.png

Report ----> Security (right end of screen) ---> Breaking real-world laws :thumbup:

Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

Going for Level 99 Magic & Level 99 Smithing!!!

Going for 200M Woodcutting exp!!!!!!!

0346-0077-6360 Mario kart Wii

I hope that you are Reporting the Bots! Please Report Bots.

old report abuse screen

110303220618.png

That's REAL old. But I can confirm just 2 weeks ago when I last reported someone who openly said "I bought my account" for RWT the option was there. I can't believe they've deleted even that. Just what the hell.... Are they ENCOURAGING people to RWT and bot now?

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg