2nd Runescape Novel Return to Canifis, coming out in March!

Krampell

During the XP weekend, Jagex released info on the 2nd Runescape Novel: Return to Canifis, in the scroll on the front page.

Here's the article (Or whatever you want to call it) on Titan Books.

Exclusive RuneScape excerpt

By Titan Books On 04 03 2011

Exclusive RuneScape excerpt

Read the Prologue to RuneScape: Return to Canifis, the stunning follow-up to T.S. Church's Betrayal at Falador.

Return to Canifis is released March 25th in the UK and March 22nd in the US and Canada.

PROLOGUE

So we agree then? You will provide me with the horses and men?

Sulla sat with his back to the ruined wall, the light from the fire reflected in his blind left eye, his face hideously scarred. Six months of flight and hiding had thinned his once muscular body. His clothes were torn rags, the soles of his boots flapped loose, his hair had grown down to his shoulders, and a wild beard covered his face, which irritated his scarred flesh in the hot weather.

If I only had hands to scratch the mites! But she has denied me even that.

We will indeed, the man replied. Although I would feel better if you had a hand I could shake. The bandit leader smiled to his men, fifteen in all, who laughed at the joke. Sulla said nothinghe had endured far worse than cheap japes, as the ragged cloths tied about each of his wrists testified.

Dont worry, my friend, you can trust me, the man continued. I may be an outlaw, but Leander the thief always keeps his word. The bandit stroked his short moustache, his eyes greedy.

Very well, Sulla said. At dawn I will lead you to the treasure that shall be your payment, but now I must sleep. I am not as strong as I used to be. He stretched out on the ground as best he couldand winced at the pain it caused.

Sulla closed his eyes to rest, yet he only feigned sleep. Instead, he slowed his breathing, and after a long stretch of silence the bandits began to murmur to one another. As they did, he listened carefully.

He could pick out Leander and his lieutenant, Barbec, speaking in low voices. Leander said something which made Barbec gasp.

Have they realised who I am? he wondered.

Soon after, he heard the scrape of a knife being sharpened across a whetstone.

He had taken a tremendous risk in walking into Leanders camp alone. Jerrod had advised him against it, and he knew the werewolf would not be far away. It amazed him how close the creature could get to his prey before being detectedclose enough that it was always too late for his victims. He was probably less than a stones throw away, even now, watching Sullas back.

The knife finished scraping across the whetstone.

Perhaps he means to cut my throat with it? Sulla mused, yet still he didnt move. Have they guessed who I am? No doubt the Kinshra have offered a reward for my capture, and a description to go with it, for I know them well. Didnt I lead them once, against her?

Sulla gritted his teeth at the thought of Kara-Meir and their last confrontation, when she had fought him in single combat and had severed both his hands.

It would have been a hundred times kinder to kill me, and you knew it. You knew it!

Suddenly Sulla felt his right hand clench into a tight fist.

He forced himself to breathe calmly. It wasnt the first time he had endured such ghostly feelings from hands that he no longer possessed. For the last six months every day had been a trial for him. Without hands it was impossible to eat or ride or fight. He had become entirely dependant on his werewolf friend, Jerrod.

It made him... uncomfortable.

Together they had fled and then hidden, until, with agonizing slowness, Sulla grew strong enough to walk again. Eventually, they ventured out to the north, into The Wilderness, hoping to hide themselves in that lawless realm while they planned how best to revenge themselves upon those who had defeated them.

Nevertheless, they had done well together. Jerrod still had those who aided him on his journey, yet Sulla could tell that the werewolf feared his master, who twice had appeared to him, offering him council in The e Wildernessalthough Sulla had seen and heard nothing when it had occurred. Each time the information he had given them had saved them from certain death, so Sulla had asked no questions.

And that is how I know you are coming after me, Kara-Meir. You, Garrth, and that barbarian priestess. You are so near. Soon, we shall start our journey south, to Varrock, to complete this plan of Jerrods undead master. And I will be there to see it.

He dreamt, as he had on a thousand other occasions, of what he would do to Kara-Meir and her friends if ever they came under his power again.

I will be there to see it!

Leander the thief watched as his men sweated from the work, but made no move to assist them.

The ground was hard from the dry summer. They had travelled east all morning to reach their destinationa parched plain where only sickly-coloured vegetation grew. Farther south, the land undulated in a series of long wide barrows until their view was finally barred by a small range of hills. Beyond that, Sulla knew, was Varrock.

Cant they dig any faster? he demanded. The thief just stared.

I would ask you to help, he said, only I dont think your handiwork would be of any use. He smiled at his taunt.

Suddenly a cry from one of the bandits silenced them. The man drove his spade into the ground, where it struck a metallic surface with a loud clang. All attention turned to where he stood.

Dig it out! Leander commanded. The men dug furiously before dragging a box from the earth. Leander knelt by the lock, examining it intently.

Youll need the key, Sulla advised.

Leander smiled and pulled an object from his pouch.

Be patient my mysterious friend, and see how a genuine thief deals with such a simple barrier. Deftly, he inserted his pick and listened, carefully teasing the teeth of the lock.

Seconds later, it gave a satisfying click and fell open. As Leanders men cheered, Barbec moved to Sullas side, and the fallen warlord noted how the mans hand gripped his sword.

As I anticipated...

Leander lifted the lid of the box, his eyes widening as he perceived the thick wad of paper inside. He turned his head and opened his mouth to speak, when suddenly he gave a cry and jerked his hand away from the lock, his face grimacing in pain.

Its a poisoned needle, Sulla explained calmly. Its effects are immediate, and the pain will drive you mad within hours.

Kill him! Leander screamed, leaping to his feet and furiously massaging his arm.

Barbec drew his blade and held it to Sullas throat.

Sulla didnt move as he stared at him with quiet malice. Barbec hesitated.

No sign of weakness. If you are weak, you die. When he spoke, his voice was calm, his words measured.

If you spare me I can make you all rich, for only I know the true value of what is contained in those parchments, he said. Kill me, and you shall have nothing.

Barbec looked back to Leander. The thief had collapsed onto his knees and was writhing in agony. While the men stared at their leader, a figure emerged from the shadows and stood silently behind them.

Perfect timing.

Need I add that I will spare your lives? Sulla asked as a low growl emerged from the newcomer. The bandits spun, and several cried out in fear as the hirsute figure neared.

A w-w-werewolf! one of them stammered.

Several of his fellows drew their blades and held them out. But none dared advance on the creature.

Do nothing, for he is my associate, Sulla said. From Morytania. His name is Jerrod. Put away your rusted weaponsnone of them can harm him. They will only serve to make him angry, and if that happens, you will not live out the day.

What do you want from us? Barbec asked. He was a short bald-headed man with a nose that looked as if it had been broken a number of times, and he spoke in a low grumble.

We shall go to Varrock, Sulla replied. It is a big enough city to hide in, and with the contents of this box we will make ourselves rich.

The men hesitated.

Finally, Barbec decided for them.

Well come with you... Sulla.

So you do know me! With that realisation came angerthat news of his defeat had spread so far that even in The Wilderness, simple bandits dared to mock him.

How long have you known? he demanded.

Since we made the agreement. Barbec looked to Leander once, and licked his lips uncertainly. Leander wanted to sell you to the Kinshra, but I thought we should first see the treasure. His eyes fell on the box. Whats in there anyhow?

Sulla laughed.

These parchments contain important information, but they are written in an old Kinshra code, and only I can decipher them. He turned to face the men, who still clustered away from the werewolf. For now that is all you need to know. Now, get the horses ready!

The men moved to obey, while Jerrod reached for Leander. As he did so, the thief drew a knife in trembling hands, and found his tongue.

It hurts! he gasped, dropping his knife as Jerrod dragged him a short distance away.

As I knew it would, Sulla said gleefully. Alas, it is a temporary poison that only lasts a single day. An old woman prepared it for me when I was still part of the Kinshra knighthood. Briefly, he wondered what had become of the sybil who had served him so well, but swiftly he shook off such sentiment. He crouched and moved in close to the thief, nodding in the direction of the knife that lay on the ground.

That is the easiest way to end your pain, my duplicitous friend, he sneered.

What is in the box? Leander stammered.

Sulla leaned down to speak privately his ear.

When I was in the Kinshra I made copies of certain secret documents. These documents contain sensitive information concerning a number of wealthy people and their organisations, from here all the way to Kandarin. In diplomacy, the Kinshra oft en have to persuade influential people to aid their cause, and blackmail has proved a most effective tool. He stood again. Now I have that tool. And I will use it.

The Kinshra will kill you for it!

They would kill me anyway, if they could. Meanwhile, I can have a little fun wrecking their spy networksfor a small profitcant I? He looked into the distance. I think I will start in Varrock. There is wealth there, wealth owned by people whose names appear in those documents.

With that, Sulla brought his boot into Leanders chin with a sharp crack. The thiefs head jerked, and he slumped into unconsciousness.

Why dont we kill him? Jerrod whispered.

No, Sulla said. We need his mens loyalty, at least for now, and killing him might be too much for them to stomach. Besides... He looked warily around him. Lone travellers dont last long out hereespecially unconscious ones.

A moment later, with Jerrods aid, Sulla clambered into a saddle. The werewolf stepped away and pulled his cloak about him, hiding his face as he returned to his human form. Once he had done so, he climbed up behind Sulla. He never rode aloneno horse would tolerate it, and he was as uncomfortable with the beasts as they were with him.

We ride south to Varrockif we make haste, we can be there in time for Midsummer, Sulla said. Our destination is an estate to the east of the city. The owner has lands that range from the River Salve to the edges of the city itself. There I will send a message to an old acquaintance of mine, the leader of the Phoenix Gang.

And then, as darkness fell across The Wilderness, and creatures far more terrible than Jerrod stirred, they rode south toward more civilised lands, leaving Leander the thief to his fate.

Varrock is the greatest human city in the world, yet it is a city filled with dangerous secrets. People have been disappearing, taken by an inhuman abductor. Its victims are murdered...or worse. For some are spirited away to Morytania, the land where vampires rule. As Kara-Meir and her friends--heroes of the Battle of Falador--gather for the Midsummer Festival, unrest grows against the crown. A conspiracy is unmasked, and the King is forced to send representatives across the holy river to Canifis, the capital of Morytania. For reasons of his own, he selects the now famous heroine Kara, as well as Garrth, unique in his knowledge of the land of the dead. They are accompanied by Theodore, Doric the dwarf, the wizard Castimir, and the barbarian priestess Arisha, on a mission that will force Garrth to confront his violent heritage, and will reveal secrets that will test their loyalties to the limit.

For the price of failure in Morytania is far worse than death, and if their mission fails then a new King will rule in Varrock. A King who is lord of both the living and the dead.

RuneScape is the worlds most popular free MMORPG.

Source: Here

I read the first book. It had a lot of "filler" content, but when it actually got to the plot, it was quite good. The read was a little... awkward because quotes were hard to detect within apostrophes ('single quotes') and some of the language used was chiefly British. It was enjoyable seeing RuneScpae in its intended state (the world, not the game) where, for example, it took days to reach the Monastery from Falador. I fully intend on purchasing the next book. I recommend the first one to any fan of RuneScape lore or quests. If you strictly play to skill, kill, or chill, you may not enjoy it so much as others.

Edit: The ending scene from the book was pretty epic. It would make an interesting quest imo.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I don't want to buy and read books based on a game the author doesn't even play.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

I don't want to buy and read books based on a game the author doesn't even play.

This assumption is flat-out false. The inside cover of the book reads, "In his free time, TS Church likes to play RuneScape." He does play, but is a noob.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I've read the first one, it's not the best I've ever read, but it's by far not the worst, was worth paying the price ;)

Second book was pre-ordered a while back, as I'm curious as to what the sequel will be like :P

[hide=Stats]Dragonkng198.png          Pumpking.png[/hide]

61669e5031.png

71fb431906.png

39c60fedc1.jpg

I read the first book. It had a lot of "filler" content, but when it actually got to the plot, it was quite good. The read was a little... awkward because quotes were hard to detect within apostrophes ('single quotes') and some of the language used was chiefly British. It was enjoyable seeing RuneScpae in its intended state (the world, not the game) where, for example, it took days to reach the Monastery from Falador. I fully intend on purchasing the next book. I recommend the first one to any fan of RuneScape lore or quests. If you strictly play to skill, kill, or chill, you may not enjoy it so much as others.

Edit: The ending scene from the book was pretty epic. It would make an interesting quest imo.

That sounds like something I would like then. Hrm. I might buy both books later as hardbacks.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I guess this means I need to complete Betrayal at Falador.

I got the hard cover version, I just haven't gotten around to fully reading it yet.

Is it because it's a bad book?

:ohnoes:

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

Hmm.. I'm kinda curious about these books. I'm not a book fan by far, but these sound interesting.

Nani mo dekinai

Chanto dekinai

Sore ga dou shita?

Bokura wa wakai'n da

Nanimo dekinai

Sugu ni dekinai

Dakara bokura ni kanou sei ga aru'n da

~AKB48

Fairly sure I read somewhere that he does play a little.

On topic: I'm not too much of a reading person, so I don't think I'll get this one either.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I read the first one when it first came out. I don't remember much of it, but I do remember that I liked the book quite a bit. I'd recommend it.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

You're right, he should know more about the game mechanics than the lore and details of the 'world' RuneScape is set in. I'm sure a book about efficiently training smithing would be a riveting tale.

hzvjpwS.gif

no i pay enough money to jagex yearly they dont need any more

You realise you'd be getting something in return, right? It's not just giving them money.

implying id read a book

no seriously all this bull [cabbage] about wilderness t shirts and books and that

like 75k+ bots are paying to play their game what the [bleep] more do they want

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

no i pay enough money to jagex yearly they dont need any more

You realise you'd be getting something in return, right? It's not just giving them money.

implying id read a book

no seriously all this bull [cabbage] about wilderness t shirts and books and that

like 75k+ bots are paying to play their game what the [bleep] more do they want

Implying that reading a book is a bad thing.

The first book came before any of the selling out with wilderness t-shirts and whatnot, at least in this one thing they're not cashing in just for money.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Implying that reading a book is a bad thing.

The first book came before any of the selling out with wilderness t-shirts and whatnot, at least in this one thing they're not cashing in just for money.

He implied that reading books were bad? Or simply that he didn't like reading books and didn't enjoy the runescape merchandising being shoved down our gullet?

I thought it was the latter, not the former. Of course, maybe I just didn't read it properly. '-'

hzvjpwS.gif