a good reason not to help noobs

nobes

I think that old proverb someone once said makes for a perfect fit in this topic:

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

In other words: Quit feeding the pigeons of Runescape. Eventually you'll feed them too much and it'll end up blowing up in your face.

^ How do you like that for a proverb? :wink:

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

Pwned.

I use that proverb when selecting worthy newbies fresh off of Tutorial Island to help. I test them by seeing if they actually care to learn the game, help them along, then give them a financial booster later.

Heck, I even reformed a beggar this way.

Truthscape - qeltar's excellent insights into RuneScape and more

Cave Story - Best Free RPG ever

-Retired. Forever-

^^^^^^^ lol negro

anyway, when im feeling generous, i like to play with the "noobs" ( i dont normally call anyone that, but cant avoid atm).

i go to a f2p world, always lummy bank.... i explain that im gonna host a gameshow to everyone who wishes to participate. 1k for the winner.

i explain what the game show is called; Trade. The first person to trade me wins 1k. i start a countdown from 5 then exclam "Trade", it takes a bit for people to work out whats goin on lol. first trade i see on my screen an i say 'winner x' an trade 1k.

when everyone who wants in get the jist of what im doin, after 5 or so rounds i then countdaown an on 1 i run behind the bank, then first to track me down gets the 1k blah blah , five more of those rounds, then.

down the stair case...... people have a really good time an i do too. nobody can wreck it and its unbiased. i encourage u to try it! 15 rounds 15k lol

1travino.png

This shows that you should be carefull of not giving away to much to one person. Spread it to more noobs, and if they later begin begging from you, just add them to your block list. Myself I usually give noobs free stuff sometimes, but never any really valueable stuff. Then they will probalby just start begging for more.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Giving stuff to a noob will help him/her for a short time, giving advice

might change his/her whole experience in RuneScape.

Here is an example of a real life situation:

A starving man has no food or a home, he will surely die without some food,

You give him a fish, he survives the day but

if you learn him to catch his own fish, he will survive for many years and

make a living of fishing.

ill still give them stuff just not 100k again :S

Did you not pay any attention to what I just said?

to tell ya truth i dont care what ya said.

Then why did you make a topic about it? If you don't care about the discussion it brings =S, geez, you really are an idiot.

Madouge.png

Click the pic if you wanna see a Ranged Slayer blog.

I do remmember a time myself, when i had run out of Membership for a week or so.

I was sitting first in Draynor and someone was having a sort of "newbish" drop party, so i pulled out most of my rune drops and bars and TT (f2p tt's) and dropped them. It was great fun and actually felt more fun than actually playing Runescape.

One of them became very friendly and i ended up giving them extreme amounts, At first 200k, then 400k, Then 600k and Full rune.

Then i was off to Falador and she followed, and while i was there someone begged me for money and i gave 2gp and said "Don't spend it all at once" because this is something i do to beggers often. but guess what they did, "This isn't enough, give me more noob"... So i had at least 10 people backing me up (10 people that had made my pocket extremly lighter) and i ended up giving out about 2,000,000 to this new group of people.

Eventually i had cleared all of my f2p Items, made 12+ friends who i'd actually consider talking to even though they are f2p and i had some fun.

but about 20days later, they all had forgotten who i was... "have we met?"

"oh that money, thanks anyways" "Yeah i spent it on full addy"

HOW DO YOU SPEND 300k on full ADDY!!!!!... anyways.

my story isn't about being Nice and getting alot of "newbs" begging. (Wow it's like that South park episode, the newest one) My story is about being very generous and getting no newbs or people talking to you or remmembering. As if you had just dropped the money... But hey! it's just 2million which these days is nothing hard to obtain. AND I HAD FUN! and fun to me is alot in this game as the amount of Fun you can have playing Runescape has deminished(spellcheck?).

penguinesigrq6.png

we'll ofte. n if a noob ask me for somthing ill give him full addy, mith. well a few weeks agho i felt generous gave a noob 100k, now i cant turn friends on lol, every time i do i get a msg from him, i was hacked can i have free stuff and then 300 more msgs from his friends... well i try and help noobs but sometimes, they dont appertiate it enough i guess.

Helping them you really don't help them, they then newer rearch so much by themselfs and they then all the time will ask for something knowing then is effective to ask and in this way they get some stuff free, same is when you meet in real life some person on the street which asking for money, if you will help him he newer start to think how to change him life situation & he then will ask and ask again for help!

Good for it Chinese saying:

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅGive a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetimeÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Suggestion: You can use Anchor on Waterfiends - is cheap if to compare to GS & effective with crush attack & it hit like Whip.

Maitvanagis.gif

Visit my exp track

This really not mean then you must lvlup him.

Just if you give to him fish, he ask for fish tomorrow again, if you learn him power fishing (RS fly fishing which is really profitable too) he fast rearch good fishing level not trying to lvlup on lobsters what takes a while to fish sharks.

BTW: Fly power fishing tactics, you buy feathers for 5-10gp ea and sell cooked fish for 45-75gp ea is ever fast fishing & cooking exp and you multiply few times your money, this kind of food buying people who train pure characters.

I randomly found with google some website with this saying improvements, maybye is interesting for somebody (just for fun):

The Improvements

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅGive a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how hungry he is.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Suggestion: You can use Anchor on Waterfiends - is cheap if to compare to GS & effective with crush attack & it hit like Whip.

Maitvanagis.gif

Visit my exp track

Agira, i wasn't being serious.. I was making a joke

I am more than aware of the Meaning behind that Saying.

Although, one must think.

It's easier to give something than spend time helping someone to understand how to get something themself.

Ok, but You agree then he will ask for something then again and again and time by time will waste your time, just if you want really to help better is talk about some guide on some website & etc...

Maitvanagis.gif

Visit my exp track

For God's sake, this topic is years old. The guys who posted this and originally replied might not be here anymore, stop quoting and talking to them.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

For God's sake, this topic is years old. The guys who posted this and originally replied might not be here anymore, stop quoting and talking to them.

We just done some small discussion :)

Maitvanagis.gif

Visit my exp track

The fact that someone abused your trust is NOT a good reason to not help people.

Just explain that you helped him but that doesn't mean you will continue to do things for him indefinitely, or put him on ignore.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

The fact that someone abused your trust is NOT a good reason to not help people.

Just explain that you helped him but that doesn't mean you will continue to do things for him indefinitely, or put him on ignore.

~q

:wall:

Wow, all those new fishing proverbs are hilarious.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

Oops, missed that date. :oops:

Well, the subject does still come up regularly and the points are still valid. :)

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I once gave a rune scimi to a low level just because I was too lazy to sell it, he wasn't asking for anything, I just traded a random person. Later he pm's me asking for more free stuff, and ended up on my ignore list.

The worst is people who beg for stuff in cw, such as asking for a free shield, right after they remove their shield and drag dagger, but thats a little off topic I think. :-w

Fear is your only God

guth8os.gif

walmart44.png

I do remmember a time myself, when i had run out of Membership for a week or so.

I was sitting first in Draynor and someone was having a sort of "newbish" drop party, so i pulled out most of my rune drops and bars and TT (f2p tt's) and dropped them. It was great fun and actually felt more fun than actually playing Runescape.

One of them became very friendly and i ended up giving them extreme amounts, At first 200k, then 400k, Then 600k and Full rune.

Then i was off to Falador and she followed, and while i was there someone begged me for money and i gave 2gp and said "Don't spend it all at once" because this is something i do to beggers often. but guess what they did, "This isn't enough, give me more noob"... So i had at least 10 people backing me up (10 people that had made my pocket extremly lighter) and i ended up giving out about 2,000,000 to this new group of people.

Eventually i had cleared all of my f2p Items, made 12+ friends who i'd actually consider talking to even though they are f2p and i had some fun.

but about 20days later, they all had forgotten who i was... "have we met?"

"oh that money, thanks anyways" "Yeah i spent it on full addy"

HOW DO YOU SPEND 300k on full ADDY!!!!!... anyways.

my story isn't about being Nice and getting alot of "newbs" begging. (Wow it's like that South park episode, the newest one) My story is about being very generous and getting no newbs or people talking to you or remmembering. As if you had just dropped the money... But hey! it's just 2million which these days is nothing hard to obtain. AND I HAD FUN! and fun to me is alot in this game as the amount of Fun you can have playing Runescape has deminished(spellcheck?).

Not quite sure if you mean to say it's OK to give people money though they will soon forget about you, or if you're advising against it...because you kind of worded the last paragraph oddly.

But, buying friendships is so stupid. I don't even give my closest RS friends free things because I know that if they are a true friend they would talk to me without the free gifts.

So many people are fake in this game, and the only way to set apart the true friends from the moochers is to just simply give nothing to anyone.

It's especially important to learn this lesson when you become higher leveled in combat or have on nicer armor, such as rares or say, even full dragon. People won't say "Hi," or "Hello," or "How are you doing, today?" nowadays without some alterior motive behind it. Chances are, shortly after, they'll ask for a favor, and that favor, almost always, includes cash or discounted items, or free items.

It's sad, but true.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

*cough*needstotakeagrammarclass*cough*

Hint: Put private chat to: Friends. They're beggars, the minute some other poor sap gives them something, they'll start begging him/her....

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg