Revision of Policy

The thing is:

The average rule breaker isn't likely to read the rules. If people have no regard for rules they do not bother to read them as it is a waste of their time.

Heck most average forum users don't even read the rules and simply learn them by being told when they cross them.

Also I see wkw's point but it is rather stupid imo. It is not Tip.its job to police how people play runescape, it is their job to police their forums which is what they are doing. Sure users may break runescape rules and NOT post about them, but that is no problem to the tip.it site; it is a problem to jagex staff.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like how Jagex will ban you for scamming if you scam. Not if you tell them "hey Jagex, i scammed! Lolol!!!!"

You're basically saying that it is still ok as long as they dont admit to it. That solves nothing.

Jagex has abilities we do not. They can actually investigate trades that happen in-game and view in-game reports. We cannot. So if someone does something in-game but doesn't post about it, we would have no way to know that it happened. Even you would have no way of knowing that it happened. So it's not that we don't care if they do it or not, we simply have no way of knowing that they did it unless they post proof of themselves doing it or admit to doing it.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

How it was before: They could do stuff, post stuff, say they did it, and have nothing done to them from the TIF staff

Poppycock. People have been warned/banned before for admitting to breaking Jagex rules. Your scenario is based on a flawed assumption.

hzvjpwS.gif

How it was before: They could do stuff, post stuff, say they did it, and have nothing done to them from the TIF staff

Poppycock. People have been warned/banned before for admitting to breaking Jagex rules. Your scenario is based on a flawed assumption.

I've seen plenty of people post pictures of scams, lures, etc. And yeah, they're still here. Flawed assumption, yup. :rolleyes:

2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist

Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

I've seen plenty of people post pictures of scams, lures, etc. And yeah, they're still here. Flawed assumption, yup. :rolleyes:

Report them then.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

<*reads through thread... sees flaming, but doesn't let it get to them*> :shades:

Glad to hear we'll be cracking down on those trolling and/or breaking RS rules now. Didn't know about the mass troll job going on in General and/or H&A, though. It's kinda odd news to my ears, given that I had not seen this kind of stuff happening there in the past. However, it looks like I'll have to give time for the dust to settle before I head near those again to help out f2p'er newbies. Good luck flushing them out while I go sit on the sidelines, so I don't accidentally get dinged for my own slightly wacky posting style. :mellow:

~D. V. "Damn trolls... They're giving better people a bad name who shouldn't get shot..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

If you had read the rules, you would see that we rely on our users to report content. So thanks for complaining about it being there, but not helping us to remove it by actually reporting it. :thumbup:

Although the Tip.It Administrators and Moderators will attempt to remove posts/images that are objectionable or in violation of the stated forum rules, it is impossible for us to review all messages. The Report Post Function may be used to alert staff members of any inappropriate topics or posts.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

EDIT - Forgot to add this to my post:

But now that you are saying "If you post it, we will take action", people won't post it. People posted during that bug beceause they knew tif didn't do anything.

So now, they won't be posting about bug abuse. Win - win.

http://forum.tip.it/topic/285258-an-epic-glitch-that-has-sadly-just-been-patched/

I'd like to hear admins thoughts on this. - Good to see that you're not supporting bug abuse in any way.

That was originally posted several months ago, so you can hardly expect us to take action on it now. Also, it's not abuse at the expense of anyone else, but that's just my personal opinion...

As for the rest of your post, we don't deal with individual discipline in public. If you feel you've been wronged in some way, feel free to pm an admin.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

EDIT - Forgot to add this to my post:

But now that you are saying "If you post it, we will take action", people won't post it. People posted during that bug beceause they knew tif didn't do anything.

http://forum.tip.it/topic/285258-an-epic-glitch-that-has-sadly-just-been-patched/

I'd like to hear admins thoughts on this. - Good to see that you're not supporting bug abuse in any way.

That was originally posted several months ago, so you can hardly expect us to take action on it now. Also, it's not abuse at the expense of anyone else, but that's just my personal opinion...

As for the rest of your post, we don't deal with individual discipline in public. If you feel you've been wronged in some way, feel free to pm an admin.

"it's not abuse at the expense of anyone else, but that's just my personal opinion..."

So bug abuse that doesn't affect other people is okay? That wasn't made very clear in the rules.

The rest of my post is a discussion on the rules - I'll ask the questions again:

How occasional do you need to "troll" to become a person that "contributes nothing to to community."

Some people on the forums use scripts that an un-informed retired from runescape admin could easily mistake as against jagex's rules, which they aren't - resulting in people being banned for things that are not against runescape's rules. What do you say about having retired admins policing these rules?

C1Geq.png

"it's not abuse at the expense of anyone else, but that's just my personal opinion..."

So bug abuse that doesn't affect other people is okay? That wasn't made very clear in the rules.

Like I said, it's my personal opinion. That bug in no way benefited the player or harmed another player, so in my personal opinion I see nothing wrong with it. I never said I spoke for the staff as a whole, and I don't now.

The rest of my post is a discussion on the rules - I'll ask the questions again:

How occasional do you need to "troll" to become a person that "contributes nothing to to community."

There's no set amount of trolling that's deemed "acceptable". Following the rules and not trolling at all will help you stay ban and warn free.

Some people on the forums use scripts that an un-informed retired from runescape admin could easily mistake as against jagex's rules, which they aren't - resulting in people being banned for things that are not against runescape's rules. What do you say about having retired admins policing these rules?

I know that our administrators (not all of whom no longer play, by the way) carefully examine the rs rules whenever there is any accusation of rulebreaking and make a decision with integrity. If there is some case where you feel something has been done incorrectly, once again, pm an administrator.

polvCwJ.gif

Like I said, it's my personal opinion. That bug in no way benefited the player or harmed another player, so in my personal opinion I see nothing wrong with it. I never said I spoke for the staff as a whole, and I don't now.

Surely as a global moderator you should know the rules and be clear on them?

I know that our administrators (not all of whom no longer play, by the way) carefully examine the rs rules whenever there is any accusation of rulebreaking and make a decision with integrity. If there is some case where you feel something has been done incorrectly, once again, pm an administrator.

Nobody knows 100% that these "autoswitchers" as 99943th calls them are against the rules - jagex have never stated them to be against the rules or legal - it's up to the players to interpret the rules for themselves - an admin who does not play the game and has to interpret the rules for himself is going to make the wrong decision if all he has as guidance is his interpretation of the rules. - This is not a specific person but simply an example where the overly strict rules can cause wrong to people.

C1Geq.png

I don't think it's asking too much that you abide by RuneScape rules and treat people with respect. As long as you do that, you don't really have to worry about violating a rule.

That implies that everyone deserves to be treated with respect though.

I guess its whatever though.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

We are not going to ban someone for posting a semi troll post once. We are only doing it to crack down on those who are obvious trolls, who contribute nothing to the community, who just post crap after crap. Not people who occasionally post a "troll" post every now and then and when it's appropriate (as appropriate as a troll post can be anyway).

There's no set amount of trolling that's deemed "acceptable". Following the rules and not trolling at all will help you stay ban and warn free.

Is it just me, or do these statements seem to conflict each other? I was told from an Admin that some trolling is acceptable when it's appropriate, and now I'm being told from a Mod that no trolling is allowed. Just my opinion, but I think you guys should discuss it between yourselves, before telling the public multiple different things.

2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist

Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

We are not going to ban someone for posting a semi troll post once. We are only doing it to crack down on those who are obvious trolls, who contribute nothing to the community, who just post crap after crap. Not people who occasionally post a "troll" post every now and then and when it's appropriate (as appropriate as a troll post can be anyway).

Is it just me, or do these statements seem to conflict each other? I was told from an Admin that some trolling is acceptable when it's appropriate, and now I'm being told from a Mod that no trolling is allowed. Just my opinion, but I think you guys should discuss it between yourselves, before telling the public multiple different things.

It's just you.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

It's just you.

It's most certainly not just him. This is an issue that needs to be addressed by a mod/admin.

C1Geq.png

There is no confliction in there. It comes down to, and always has, the moderators discretion. If a moderator feels it breaks the rules, they will take action. Not every moderator has the exact same take on things, and you cannot have a group of people who do. One might let it go, one might not and take action. To me, all users that are complaining right now are trying to find trolling loop holes. Don't troll and you won't have to worry about the rules, will you?

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

There is no confliction in there. It comes down to, and always has, the moderators discretion. If a moderator feels it breaks the rules, they will take action. Not every moderator has the exact same take on things, and you cannot have a group of people who do. One might let it go, one might not and take action. To me, all users that are complaining right now are trying to find trolling loop holes. Don't troll and you won't have to worry about the rules, will you?

This is not about "finding trolling loop holes" it's about the moderators and admins not fully agreeing on rules and these rules not being enforced the same way. Not to try and appeal my ban or anything - just using myself as an example here: I was banned for what I did not consider a "troll" post, but obviously a moderator did. Directly after I was banned darkdude posted that you could occasionally post a "troll" post - this shouldn't be happening. If darkdude had looked at my post, I wouldn't have been banned. The rules are not being enforced correctly and moderators/admins don't even seem to all agree with them.

C1Geq.png

Why I was banned for posting a "troll" post, when my last warning was on September 03 2010? - How occasional do you need to "troll" to become a person that "contributes nothing to to community." -

Specific questions about your situation should be discussed in private - not here publicly.

what about using autoswitchers, a few people even admit to using them on here.

"They are against the Runescape and Jagex rules, therefore are against our rules too."

Whenever there isn't a clearcut black and white situation, such as someone using a script that could be against RS rules but isn't specifically mentioned as such, we always have a group discussion. A retired admin who is not in the loop of RuneScape-related things would know better than to handle such a situation by him/herself. We normally talk it out as a team and/or contact Jagex and ask them directly.

Checking out graphical bugs that do not actually affect your character, other characters or the economy, etc. in any way are not something that Jagex seems to care about and ban people for. As such, we wouldn't consider it the abuse of a bug, as it doesn't actually affect the game or give you any sort of gameplay advantage.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Why I was banned for posting a "troll" post, when my last warning was on September 03 2010? - How occasional do you need to "troll" to become a person that "contributes nothing to to community." -

Specific questions about your situation should be discussed in private - not here publicly.

I gave my situation for an example and my question was not about me. Address the question rather than my example.

what about using autoswitchers, a few people even admit to using them on here.

"They are against the Runescape and Jagex rules, therefore are against our rules too."

Whenever there isn't a clearcut black and white situation, such as someone using a script that could be against RS rules but isn't specifically mentioned as such, we always have a group discussion. A retired admin who is not in the loop of RuneScape-related things would know better than to handle such a situation by him/herself. We normally talk it out as a team and/or contact Jagex and ask them directly.

Good to know that it's dealt that way.

Checking out graphical bugs that do not actually affect your character, other characters or the economy, etc. in any way are not something that Jagex seems to care about and ban people for. As such, we wouldn't consider it the abuse of a bug, as it doesn't actually affect the game or give you any sort of gameplay advantage.

So If I wear full primal outside of a dungeon using a graphical bug and post it here's thats okay? It needs to be made more clear what is against the rules and what isn't.

C1Geq.png

Surely as a global moderator you should know the rules and be clear on them?

What I'm saying is that this is a case by case basis. It's not a black and white situation - we deal with it as it happens.

Nobody knows 100% that these "autoswitchers" as 99943th calls them are against the rules - jagex have never stated them to be against the rules or legal - it's up to the players to interpret the rules for themselves - an admin who does not play the game and has to interpret the rules for himself is going to make the wrong decision if all he has as guidance is his interpretation of the rules. - This is not a specific person but simply an example where the overly strict rules can cause wrong to people.

If Jagex has never sated them to be against the rules, then we can hardly make them against our rules, can we?

As for my previous statement, I meant there was no certain amount of trolling that's deemed acceptable. I never said that NO trolling was deemed acceptable, but once again it's not black and white.

polvCwJ.gif

No, all I'm saying is use common sense.

Posting one troll post will not get you banned.

Repeatedly trolling after being warned multiple times for it will.

polvCwJ.gif

Did I miss understand this, you can be warned for posting a picture which has an obvious bot in it? Even if its not you?

I Support TET!| If you want bunny PM Me.|Click For My DevArt

musics.png

^ Cowboy is the Best ^

IT'S A TRAP SHINY JUST WANTS TO STALK YOU.

Hell yeah I do. Whats your msn?

That's how it all starts.

Next he's going to ask you what flavor of candy you enjoy and whats your favorite color van.

Did I miss understand this, you can be warned for posting a picture which has an obvious bot in it? Even if its not you?

We don't allow people to accuse others of violating the rules (section 1.5 - Naming Names). So if you want to post screenshots of people you think are bots, edit out the name. But as long as the names are edited out, it is perfectly acceptable to post those screenshots. But the thing we're addressing in this thread is people who openly admit to botting or violating other RuneScape rules themselves.

Posted Image