Dungeoneering DPS

Grimy_Bunyip

Google Doc

This is what the DPS ratings of various melee/range weapons in Dungeoneering are:

Before-1.png

This is what the DPS looks like after 5 minutes on excel, balancing weapons strength bonuses.

After-1.png

[spoiler=These two graphs mapped to weapon strength are as follows:]chart_3.png

chart_4.png

Could do graphs for accuracy ratings of weapons and defense ratings of armors too, but I think you guys get the idea.

Range weapons scale very differently from melee weapons.

Melee weapons don't scale consistently.

Example:

If you take a close look, Fractite spear's are better DPS than fractite rapiers, even though pretty much every other tier of rapier outclasses the spear in terms of DPS.

Dungeoneering was a step in the right direction with weapon balance.

That being said the weapon balancing of DGS still will remind you of some wild crayon sketch from a 2 year old.

Naaxi.png

Wait, can you explain the second graph for me?

He changed the weapon strength bonusus on all weapons to get those graphs, that is, he made the scaling smooth and consistent as opposed to chaotic. It's an 'ideal' weapon balance if you will.

Those graphs are quite interesting, it's funny to see the small 'bump' around fractite for example. It also shows that t11 melee is much less of an improvement than t11 range, somehow. I wonder if Jagex ever considered such graphs?

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Is this dps on a raw, 0 defense, infinite lp target? Are the other (acc and def) stats for armors and weapons just as chaotic?

Join "DGS" Guest Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn

WarpedHeroKeyer16.pngblood_neck.png

The first graph has some interesting information in it, however it's very difficult to read. I'd suggest using different pointer marks for different weapons. It would also help tremendously if you mentioned the conditions for the data(most likely against 0 def max hit, t0 berserker agressive mode, but it's hard to know right now). I think you might have screwed up the second graph as it looks too much like a rainbow(and as you said, spear should be superior to rapier at time, which it is not on those graphs. EDIT: sorry, yeah, it was supposed to look like a rainbow, i get your point).

What i would really like to see, however, is 2-4 graphs of non-suck dps weapons with typical dg conditions(hooded, t10 berserker, agressive) against a couple more meaningful def max hits(0, 100, 360 would be my suggestions), with weapons with 2 agressive styles mentioned twice for the higher dps graphs. Maybe even include ccs, emp cele and fire?

Also, if you are to consider a perfect scaling for the weapons, making a rainbow really isn't the way to go. Weapons like dagger, maul, warhammer, longsword and spear should have some sort of compensation for them too be useful(which, for various reasons, none are, even with consistent scaling).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

People seem to be confused by my use of "DPS rating"

So here's the same exact graphs calculated to weapon strength bonus instead:

chart_3.png

chart_4.png

The first graph has some interesting information in it, however it's very difficult to read. I'd suggest using different pointer marks for different weapons. It would also help tremendously if you mentioned the conditions for the data(most likely against 0 def max hit, t0 berserker agressive mode, but it's hard to know right now). I think you might have screwed up the second graph as it looks too much like a rainbow(and as you said, spear should be superior to rapier at time, which it is not on those graphs. EDIT: sorry, yeah, it was supposed to look like a rainbow, i get your point).

What i would really like to see, however, is 2-4 graphs of non-suck dps weapons with typical dg conditions(hooded, t10 berserker, agressive) against a couple more meaningful def max hits(0, 100, 360 would be my suggestions), with weapons with 2 agressive styles mentioned twice for the higher dps graphs. Maybe even include ccs, emp cele and fire?

Also, if you are to consider a perfect scaling for the weapons, making a rainbow really isn't the way to go. Weapons like dagger, maul, warhammer, longsword and spear should have some sort of compensation for them too be useful(which, for various reasons, none are, even with consistent scaling).

if you click the google doc link at the top, you can zoom in, highlight points to see their exact values, etc.

as to your second point, they are a function of "DPS rating", which is equal to (Strength bonus + 64)*Attack speed.

This number is independent of strength level. If you multiply DPS rating by strength level, then you approximately get your DPS.

The rainbow scaling was chosen for 2 reasons:

Weapons are always strictly proportional to one another.

Rapier is always about 1.2x faster base DPS than 2h.

That way weapon balance logic holds out regardless of weapon tier.

Secondly, the shape kinda looks like a rainbow (IE is shaped like a arc, instead of like a wave like Jagex did)

for the following reason:

When you get strength levels, your DPS increases exactly as a factor of:

(New Strength Level + 8)/(Previous Strength Level + 8)

With the rainbow shape, when your attack level increases, the DPS increase you get as a result of weapons increases by

((New Attack Level + 8)/(Previous Strength Level + 8))^(4/9)

Previously, if you were at roughly lvl 40-60 attack/strength, the DPS increase from weapons is the steepest.

At around these levels, the benefit you gain from leveling attack is much greater than the relative benefit of leveling attack at say, lvl 99.

Naaxi.png

People seem to be confused by my use of "DPS rating"

So here's the same exact graphs calculated to weapon strength bonus instead:

chart_3.png

chart_4.png

Secondly, the shape kinda looks like a rainbow (IE is shaped like a arc, instead of like a wave like Jagex did)

for the following reason:

When you get strength levels, your DPS increases exactly as a factor of:

(New Strength Level + 8)/(Previous Strength Level + 8)

With the rainbow shape, when your attack level increases, the DPS increase you get as a result of weapons increases by

((New Attack Level + 8)/(Previous Strength Level + 8))^(4/9)

Previously, if you were at roughly lvl 40-60 attack/strength, the DPS increase from weapons is the steepest.

At around these levels, the benefit you gain from leveling attack is much greater than the relative benefit of leveling attack at say, lvl 99.

NduQg.png

e4K3q.png

4e0Vn.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...