Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dutch court ruling on kids forcing another to hand over RS goods

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

sebas379
[ Display Name History ]

sebas379

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:sebas379
http://www.rechtspra...RuneScape’.aspx

I know it's a Dutch website so not many are able to read it, sorry for that but I thought it might be interesting since it concerns RS.

A summary of the case:

2 kids (ages not mentioned in article but i believe I heard earlier they were 14 or 15) took a 13-year-old to the home of one of them.
Here, they abused him and threatened him with a knife to log in and hand over "a mask and an amulet" i believe i read earlier it was a h'ween mask, amulet i dunno.

In short, the court ruled that these virtual goods have both an in-game as a real monetary value and can therefore be seen as "real" goods. That means you can also steal them.
Although the original case was already back in '08, supreme court made above statements 28-6. The final ruling will be made October 4th.

Do you fel this has any consequences, and if so which?

Edit: If required and I have time i'll put up a complete translation. But that will be at the very earliest this evening
Posted Image

My_Eggs
[ Display Name History ]

My_Eggs

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,514 posts
Fastest way to make money now: Threaten other players that you know in real life with a knife.
99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Hajutze
[ Display Name History ]

Hajutze

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,762 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Poptolev
Kind of old ... weren't there 2-3 threads about this (I am sure I remember at least 1)
Looks like this one
http://forum.tip.it/...l-theft-a-crime

sebas379
[ Display Name History ]

sebas379

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 119 posts
Ok, sorry I missed the old thread, did look back a little but not that far:P

But I thought i'd post it since it's a new development in the case.
Anyways. the direction I just thought of is this. If this means RS property has monetary value (which we kind of already knew) and thus this is theft, then what is a macro company doing?
Would you call that running the money press non-stop (like they did in Germany in the late 1920's to counter hyper-inflation)? Or is it something else

Not trying to hyjack my own thread into a botrant:P just a spin of the mind I just ahd
Posted Image

sebas379
[ Display Name History ]

sebas379

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 119 posts

Fastest way to make money now: Threaten other players that you know in real life with a knife.

Yea guess so, probably better gp/h than running a bot army :P
Posted Image

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,800 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw
edit: nevermind, did miss something.

I find it sick that you would go as far as threathen someone with a knife for runescape goods...

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Stev
[ Display Name History ]

Stev

Cherremy's Slave

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
  • RSN:Stev Peifer

In short, the court ruled that these virtual goods have both an in-game as a real monetary value and can therefore be seen as "real" goods.

But until Jagex introduces micro-transactions, those goods belong to Jagex, not the kid. Therefore, the kid had nothing stolen from him, nor was any of that "real monetary value" even his.

09144a99bb.png

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

In short, the court ruled that these virtual goods have both an in-game as a real monetary value and can therefore be seen as "real" goods.

But until Jagex introduces micro-transactions, those goods belong to Jagex, not the kid. Therefore, the kid had nothing stolen from him, nor was any of that "real monetary value" even his.

Actually, even when microtransactions do get added, you will still not own the item. You're paying for a license for the item, not the item itself. Everything still belongs to Jagex.

Personally they shouldn't be worrying about who owns what. Let's focus on putting those psychopathic little [bleep]ers away for a long time that would threaten to knife someone over video game goods.
Posted Image

Posted Image

sebas379
[ Display Name History ]

sebas379

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 119 posts

hmm, ok, but now i'm gonna stretch this one with an example. I borrow your bike, cycle downtown, someone puts a knife to my throat and takes it. Then what? Did they steal from me or you? Or should I see this "borrow" as something different than what you'r talking about?
Posted Image

Crossed_Body
[ Display Name History ]

Crossed_Body

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,245 posts
  • RSN:Crossed Body

hmm, ok, but now i'm gonna stretch this one with an example. I borrow your bike, cycle downtown, someone puts a knife to my throat and takes it. Then what? Did they steal from me or you? Or should I see this "borrow" as something different than what you'r talking about?

They obviously stole the bike from him, since he is the owner. Had they been convicted, they'd have to give him the bike back or a monetary compensation, not you. You could probably demand compensation for getting threatened with a knife, however.
Posted Image

Stev
[ Display Name History ]

Stev

Cherremy's Slave

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
But see, in your example:
Person A lends Person B a bike.
Person C then takes the bike from Person B.

Person B lost nothing of his own possession/value. Person A was the one who lost something of value to Person C.

Now, let's do the same for the RuneScape OP's example. Jagex would be Person A. The difference is that Jagex didn't lose anything of value (The mask/amulet is still theirs). The kid, Person B, also didn't lose anything that was his either because the mask and amulet were not his. In this case, nothing was stolen as Jagex still has possession/ownership of their mask and amulet.

09144a99bb.png

sebas379
[ Display Name History ]

sebas379

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 119 posts

Person B lost nothing of his own possession/value. Person A was the one who lost something of value to Person C.

Now, let's do the same for the RuneScape OP's example. Jagex would be Person A. The difference is that Jagex didn't lose anything of value (The mask/amulet is still theirs). The kid, Person B, also didn't lose anything that was his either because the mask and amulet were not his. In this case, nothing was stolen as Jagex still has possession/ownership of their mask and amulet.

Indeed you have a point, so on a legal basis there is also nothing you can do about ingame scamming, luring etc even if it involves real world threats. the only thing you can sue them for is then the real-world damage (the knife)
Posted Image

The Observer
[ Display Name History ]

The Observer

Lead the charge

• SwiftKit Staff
  • 12,959 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

In a sense you can charge them with mischief causing death.

Mischief can be defined as the prevention of using information or data. The virtual goods are technically information since they're just bits of data on a server. Since they could have caused death and the intent is implied by a knife being used, causing death would still apply even though a death didn't take place.

This is Canadian law, so I'm not sure how it works in the Netherlands. You can get life imprisonment for it here.

Mischief in relation to data
(1.1) Every one commits mischief who wilfully

(a) destroys or alters data;

(b) renders data meaningless, useless or ineffective;

© obstructs, interrupts or interferes with the lawful use of data; or

(d) obstructs, interrupts or interferes with any person in the lawful use of data or denies access to data to any person who is entitled to access thereto.

j0xPu5R.png

Stev
[ Display Name History ]

Stev

Cherremy's Slave

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
I'm simply arguing that it was not stealing. :P. Assault/mischief, yes, but there was no theft.

09144a99bb.png

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts
If runescape money has real value why isnt it taxable

Ring World - 1 Dutch Courts - 0

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

You forgot one thing, at runescape the person could have spend hours and hours to get those items. The person with the bike did not need to spend that many hours to get the bike. It is like you borrowing a house which you live in and someone breaks things of/in your house which the owner of the house (the person you are borrowing it from) has to get refund but has taken hours of you to repear it (or something like that).
The persons didn't steal a thing from him, they did steal his time and work spend on the game.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

highlanders
[ Display Name History ]

highlanders

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,476 posts
Seems like people still don't understand that terms of service are not laws. According to the ToS the items you own are not yours, you're not allowed to sell them, etc. If you break the ToS all that happens is that jagex can ban you from using their service. However selling virtual items in the real world is not against real-world laws, nuance. Hence why they can be taken in account as having a value in court.

2480+ total

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

You forgot one thing, at runescape the person could have spend hours and hours to get those items. The person with the bike did not need to spend that many hours to get the bike. It is like you borrowing a house which you live in and someone breaks things of/in your house which the owner of the house (the person you are borrowing it from) has to get refund but has taken hours of you to repear it (or something like that).
The persons didn't steal a thing from him, they did steal his time and work spend on the game.

Jagex owns your account and everything on it. Jagex still owns it when the kid pulled out his knife.

Deal with it.

sebas379
[ Display Name History ]

sebas379

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 119 posts

If runescape money has real value why isnt it taxable

Ring World - 1 Dutch Courts - 0

Hold the non existend phone there. doesn't the fact that RWT exists imply it has a monetary value? that would mean you could tax it.
Posted Image

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Jagex owns your account and everything on it. Jagex still owns it when the kid pulled out his knife.

Deal with it.

Where did I say jagex doesn't?

Retired item crew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users