Working for Jagex

Dire_Wolf

I just have a thought which i want to share with you all. I have had a desire to make games, pc/console. But i fear that my abilities will limit my success. But for those of you who live in UK, near Jagex HQ. If your great at drawing or programming/or animation , or even video editing you should consider reaching out to Jagex to allow you to work for them in some way.

A test period, where you show off your skills to Jagex/help them in some way.

What will the purpose of this be? Well for once, if you want to work for Jagex this can be a good opportonity. And most important reason is to see if drawing, programming, video editing etc for a game company can be something for you.

This thought hit me when i saw newest Player's gallery. So many talented artists. Awesome art.

I am sure plenty of people who have worked in the industry who apply at jagex all the time. For someone who is still learning, an internship would be a much better opportunity. Also it's not as easy as just going up and asking them. People often have to fight for the few positions available.

Working for jagex to see if that kind of work is for you is a bit too late in a person's career anyway. If someone really wants to see if animation/video editing/game programming is for them it would be much better to just learn it on your own. All the resources are available free and legally on the internet. Work with a game engine like game maker, cry engine 3, or unreal engine 3. Try a program like blender. If you are a student get a free license of maya or 3ds max. Then after testing out the things for yourself, or better yet go to a university offering some classes, you will see if it's for you.

This is coming from a senior computer graphics major.

jpegsigtest.jpg

I am sure plenty of people who have worked in the industry who apply at jagex all the time. For someone who is still learning, an internship would be a much better opportunity. Also it's not as easy as just going up and asking them. People often have to fight for the few positions available.

Working for jagex to see if that kind of work is for you is a bit too late in a person's career anyway. If someone really wants to see if animation/video editing/game programming is for them it would be much better to just learn it on your own. All the resources are available free and legally on the internet. Work with a game engine like game maker, cry engine 3, or unreal engine 3. Try a program like blender. If you are a student get a free license of maya or 3ds max. Then after testing out the things for yourself, or better yet go to a university offering some classes, you will see if it's for you.

Internship was what i meant.

Internship was what i meant.

Even then companies usually have very few positions, and are very hard to come by. You would have already needed to prove to them you have a deep knowledge in whatever you are going for. A very nice portfolio or demo reel, and working towards a degree are usually bare minimum requirements. At that point you would already know if you wanted to do that as a job.

jpegsigtest.jpg

Even then companies usually have very few positions, and are very hard to come by. You would have already needed to prove to them you have a deep knowledge in whatever you are going for. A very nice portfolio or demo reel, and working towards a degree are usually bare minimum requirements. At that point you would already know if you wanted to do that as a job.

I see. Thanks for enlightening me. :thumbup:

I see. Thanks for enlightening me. :thumbup:

Np, as for you, if you have an interest in this you should try working on mods or with some of the programs i mentioned. You may not have the skills now, but with time and patience you may be the one submitting the art to jagex or pursuing a career in a similar field.

jpegsigtest.jpg

I have actually talked with a few people who work with JaGEx, and while disscussing the possibility of jobs there I was told that they get hundreds of applications for each post, and it is a good idea to pick something and stick with it, as you need to be one of the best to stand any chance of getting a job there. (When I asked about bots, said employee went VERY quiet) Good luck if you plan to get a job, and possibly see you around Cambridge!

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

When Mod Timbo was at university, he got a placement at Jagex for work experience (or something like that) and just stayed with them, as he already had the job.

Kind of a dead-end programming job. There can't be too many years left for scape, and all of jagex's other games fail to impress.

Also, graphics suck, and that is most of what game design is. I'd rather do what I currently do (ad delivery) than fiddle with graphics ANY day.

lalalasig2.png

Kind of a dead-end programming job. There can't be too many years left for scape, and all of jagex's other games fail to impress.

Also, graphics suck, and that is most of what game design is. I'd rather do what I currently do (ad delivery) than fiddle with graphics ANY day.

I'm sure working on the biggest free-to-play MMORPG in human history would sound impressive on your CV. :P

10xy5fk.png

I'm sure working on the biggest free-to-play MMORPG in human history would sound impressive on your CV. :P

Not only that, but Jagex don't just Have RuneScape under their wing. Right now there's absolutely no sign of it "Ending" in a few years, that's just craziness. But a games Studio isn't just going to take a dive and be done with, when they have over 400 employees and profiting like there's no tomorrow. I think you can be sure Jagex will still be around in many, many years to come so it really is a company which would be worth pursuing for someone who's interested in game design, etc. Because it will always be something new.

Oh how I admire you doom sayers.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Not only that, but Jagex don't just Have RuneScape under their wing. Right now there's absolutely no sign of it "Ending" in a few years, that's just craziness. But a games Studio isn't just going to take a dive and be done with, when they have over 400 employees and profiting like there's no tomorrow. I think you can be sure Jagex will still be around in many, many years to come so it really is a company which would be worth pursuing for someone who's interested in game design, etc. Because it will always be something new.

They have released one game that they have developed in house. They may have published some other games, but they have only developed one.

Mechscape was canceled. Stellar Dawn we haven't seen anything about yet really. There's 8worlds and that transformers MMO. I can't speak for 8worlds since I haven't played it.

FunOrb is alright, but it isn't exactly developer gold. So in my opinion, Jagex as a developer I would say their next projects would be make or break. They can't keep Runescape alive forever if they won't ban the bots (or maybe they can, where everybody is a bot it doesn't matter if you get their money).

As a publisher they still have a future because they have money and as long as they don't throw that down the drain it should be good.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

Apply for their quality assurance department, you might be the lone guy there

Possibly one of the best post this forum have ever seen!! +1

[spoiler=Sig]oliboli1992.png

Oliboli1992.png

I like to think of the Dark Bow like a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) - you get one shot and then you're screwed.

Quick note: JaGEx DO NOT offer work experiance, as I tried to get a placement there, and was told that if they offered work exp, I'd be in for it, but they cant giveout work exp placements due to "security risks" I'd have to sign NDAs and all, and it would be damn hard to stick to them. :(

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

They have released one game that they have developed in house. They may have published some other games, but they have only developed one.

Mechscape was canceled. Stellar Dawn we haven't seen anything about yet really. There's 8worlds and that transformers MMO. I can't speak for 8worlds since I haven't played it.

FunOrb is alright, but it isn't exactly developer gold. So in my opinion, Jagex as a developer I would say their next projects would be make or break. They can't keep Runescape alive forever if they won't ban the bots (or maybe they can, where everybody is a bot it doesn't matter if you get their money).

As a publisher they still have a future because they have money and as long as they don't throw that down the drain it should be good.

Stellar Dawn; just because you haven't seen anything or heard anything does not mean that it's going nowhere, let me assure you of that. Likewise with transformers. We know Stellar Dawn is in Alpha, perhaps even finished.

FunOrb yes, of course is not gold in any sense; it's as much as had its day. Make or break? I would really doubt that. With the playerbase RuneScape alone has, anything new released would already have a following upon release. With paying members, of course. I think after 10 years, Jagex know what to do and what not to do to create success. Other developers, Zipper Int. for example...Creator of the SOCOM series and also MAG, which is a game like no other FPS on the market, but they went about it wrong over two years ago now and the game is slowly losing numbers. That's all down to key changes and a lack of funds in certain areas...Whereas Jagex, on the other hand know exactly how to market their game at this stage and to provide content which pleases...Because they've "Been there, done that.".

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Quick note: JaGEx DO NOT offer work experiance, as I tried to get a placement there, and was told that if they offered work exp, I'd be in for it, but they cant giveout work exp placements due to "security risks" I'd have to sign NDAs and all, and it would be damn hard to stick to them. :(

http://www.jagex.com/careers#/vacancies/industrial-placement

Stellar Dawn; just because you haven't seen anything or heard anything does not mean that it's going nowhere, let me assure you of that. Likewise with transformers. We know Stellar Dawn is in Alpha, perhaps even finished.

FunOrb yes, of course is not gold in any sense; it's as much as had its day. Make or break? I would really doubt that. With the playerbase RuneScape alone has, anything new released would already have a following upon release. With paying members, of course. I think after 10 years, Jagex know what to do and what not to do to create success. Other developers, Zipper Int. for example...Creator of the SOCOM series and also MAG, which is a game like no other FPS on the market, but they went about it wrong over two years ago now and the game is slowly losing numbers. That's all down to key changes and a lack of funds in certain areas...Whereas Jagex, on the other hand know exactly how to market their game at this stage and to provide content which pleases...Because they've "Been there, done that.".

Mechscape was scraped because it wasn't "fun", they took a lot of the resources from that and changed stuff and made new stuff to develop Stellar Dawn. My point is, the first major project after Runescape was killed because they felt it wasn't a fun game. I don't think there's anything worse than that from a development view point.

Just because Runescape has a large playerbase and sure, that helps a lot. But just because isn't enough. If they pump out a new game and everyone think it blows major ass then they failed as a developer. As a developer, in my opinion, whatever their next project that is released will be very important.

Whereas Jagex, on the other hand know exactly how to market their game at this stage and to provide content which pleases

Yes they know how to market, that's why I said Jagex as a publisher won't end any time soon. As far as providing content that pleases, they are very hit and miss. Walk around in Runescape and look at all the content that gets played. Look at all the minigames nobody gives a [cabbage] about. We have mid level players who feel there's too much content for new players while veterans feel there's not enough content for them. I could go on and on and a lot of it stems from the fact that Runescape is so old now.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

Apply for their quality assurance department, you might be the lone guy there

This.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau