18-Jul-2011 - Cryptic Clue Fest 3 - UPDATED WITH ALL ANSWERS

Pirkka

Cleaned the start up post a bit. I'm going to go have some alcohol with my best friends to a cottage from thursday to sunday, but if possible I will update the thread when possible.

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does grill work at all?

Grill's don't have any relation to wood at all. You grill with electric appliance or charcoal barbeque.

You can also have a wood fired grill.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

In all my life, I've never heard of something being ' wood grilled'. That said, grain isn't that satisfactory either. Whatever, we worked it out without needing to know that bit.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Hopefully Jagex posts the answer to this when it's all over so we can end this small debate. =)

I'm still of the opinion that it's grill, as in wood grilled. Whatever, either one works for the clue.

From what I've seen, all the answers have been RuneScape related. As far as I know,there are not any grills on RuneScape.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I thought the answer was gnome.

Gnome cooking is the way of cooking.

Wood gnome is a type of gnome. You are all probably too young a comic strip by the name of Paulus the wood gnome.

If it is a g, then i think gnome is the closest.

Tree Gnome Village for the wood, gnome delivery for the cooking.

I personally thought it was 'roast'(until I was corrected)

For the music with a ball, I get the pun; but it is just unfortunate that we have a song titled "ballad of enchantment" which also has 6 letters.

I'm still of the opinion that it's grill, as in wood grilled. Whatever, either one works for the clue.

From what I've seen, all the answers have been RuneScape related. As far as I know,there are not any grills on RuneScape.

I agree with this; to me grill just doesn't work on so many levels.

1) No rs link, not all the clues have rs meanings; but all the answers do Law Rune, Urns, Swords, Cats and Cannons are all items, Rokuh is an npc, Mine carts are in-game, Sailing is an rs meme, we have the Aid system, and we have lots of items we were on our backs (this one rs link deffo more in the clue). Rs has grains and rs has gnomes, but no grills.

2) You cook food with a grill, you don't make food with it which throws part of the clue; considering all the words in the clues had an effect on other answers due to their cryptic forming

3) Wood grill is really obscure and historical; heck even look at the wikipedia page for grilling it doesn't mention them apart from a passing reference under barbeque that traditional it used smoking wood or hot coals, but its quickly lost under the info about how barbeques use flames (from gas) or coals now.

4) All the clues are double barrelled with two separate parts that lead to the same answer; the answer grill doesn't split the clue at all and thats after you overlook the other 3 reasons it don't fit right.

Grain fits in with wood and making food in a simialr vein to how other clues break down without a huuuuuuggge stretch.

Gnome fits nicely too, though it is a bit more of a tenuous link and a stretch of the imagination and I don't think you could of got to gnome if we didn't know the G

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

OK i've done the sudoku and runedoku, completed the riddles, but i have no idea what the '2 = D3 | 9 = G8 | Body = I7 | Fire = B1' part means if anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

Mod Kathy said in da forums to think grid.

I'm thinking body=2 and fire=1. Im still working on runedoku and not sure of riddles yet

Ladyredbingo.png ladyredbingo.png ladyredbingo.png

They seem to just be a marker for the final rotation

[spoiler=Solution]7 water runes, 4 fire runes, 6 body runes, wizard mizgog in the wizards tower

Much easier today than yesterday, me and my brother solved a sudoku each at the same time :P

Took a bit of faffing with getting the final part (I misread a grid reference...) but was fun :D

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

OK i've done the sudoku and runedoku, completed the riddles, but i have no idea what the '2 = D3 | 9 = G8 | Body = I7 | Fire = B1' part means if anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

My first instinct was that it relates to yesterday's clue, but sadly, apart from D3, they don't correspond to spaces with letters on them.

EDIT: Nevermind. Good solution.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

My first instinct was that it relates to yesterday's clue, but sadly, apart from D3, they don't correspond to spaces with letters on them.

EDIT: Nevermind. Good solution.

They correspond to marking how you setup your original grid references (its not logical)

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Somes gonna have to post how it works out.

I can solve the sudoku's but I don;t at all see how you get from them to the solution.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

[spoiler=Method:]Solve both sudokus

Use the given references below the grids to setup letters A-I along the bottom, and number 1-9 along the side in REVERSE order

Highlight the final area of text and solve the new pieces of text that weren't visible before to find 3 grid references.

Rotate the second sudoku once clockwise to match up with the first (the ference grid does not rotate) then read off rune+number of runes.

safersbanner.png

They seem to just be a marker for the final rotation

[spoiler=Solution]7 water runes, 4 fire runes, 6 body runes, wizard mizgog in the wizards tower

Much easier today than yesterday, me and my brother solved a sudoku each at the same time :P

Took a bit of faffing with getting the final part (I misread a grid reference...) but was fun :D

thank u

so you mean I7 = body refers to bottom right of the top square?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

so you mean I7 = body refers to bottom right of the top square?

Yeah that'd be right(where the body rune is). Its just there to make sure you can use the later grid references properly I think

OK - i see the 2=D3 etc sets up the coordinates...

my head is hurting now - can u explain the first wordy clue?

There are a lot of white keys and 1/4 of them are black. Where do they go?

Try highlighting that entire area. The ones you can normally see are just jibberish with regards to the puzzle

safersbanner.png