Storm of Armadyl

enfield

There's some subtle things about how the spell works, which might impact how we think of it, so I thought I would share those things.

First, as we are pretty sure of by now thanks to numerous people's testing, Storm of Armadyl (SOA) has a floor, meaning a certain damage that the staff can't hit less then, assuming it hits in the first place. And the floor depends on your magic level.

And we even know how it's determined. It's equal to 5*(magic level - 77). And the max hit, which starts out at 160 at lv 77 magic also increases the same way that the floor does (rs wiki has nice charts that show this).

So at 99 magic you end up with a floor of 110 and a max of 270. And another interesting fact is that damage modifications apply to *both* the floor and the max hit.

One question that comes to mind is - do both values (floor and max hit) increase beyond lv 99 magic. Our formulas would suggest the answer is yes, but we need to check it. If it does, then we would expect the floor at 106 (boosted with a wolper or potion, and assuming no other modifications like equipment bonus) to be not 110*1.21 = 133 (the 1.21 coming from the 7 additional magic levels) but (110+35)*1.21 = 163.5. Similarly the max hit would be 305*1.21 instead of 270*1.21

Thant's a big difference. And I've tested it, and the answer is yes! - the formulas for floor and max hit are valid for magic levels above 99.

So now how do we think about the dps of the spell? Well, because boosts are applied to both floor and max hit we can think of the spell as being equivalent to one without a floor, but with a max hit of SOA's floor + max hit.

In otherwords at 106 magic SOA is equivalent to a regular spell with a cap of 145+305=450! And if you use the armadyl battlestaff you inflict damage 20% faster - or if you were using the chaotic staff before, which gives 20% to magic damage compared to the 15% of the armadyl battlestaff, then it would be 18% faster.

Which means with the staff it's equivalent to a normal speed spell with a cap of 531-540!. This is 92.8% better than fire surge, the previous most effective single-combat spell. This is nearly twice as good as the next best thing. Granted, you do have to do the quest, which has tons of time consuming requirements, but it's *not* unreasonably expensive.

The runes are already only 3.4k! why do I say only 3.4k? Well because the spell hits so much more your paying less per damage than you would be with fire surge. If you value your cost/damage at the rate of fire surge, than the runes are equivalent to 2k.

Yes, that's 3-4 more times than fire surge - and I don't know about you - but I'm already willing to pay that to be able to do steel/iron drag tasks twice as fast, to kill the glacor's minions twice as fast, etc. And I imagine they will drop further, but the point is that if they don't the spell is still arguably worth it - depending how how much you value your time.

So the spell is probably more amazing than you thought it was before. And If you thought it was incredible but didn't know why, now you know. Annndd, it goes without saying, but the spell is also pretty awesome in pvp.

92.8% better than fire surge?

Is this new spell overpowered, or does this just go to show how ridiculously bad combat magic was prior? I really hope Jagex adds some more uses for magic in PvM. I'm really liking the look of SoA, I just need to get myself one of those staves!

I'm also rather surprised that this spell has a damage floor. Pretty interesting research to say the least!

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Is this new spell overpowered, or does this just go to show how ridiculously bad combat magic was prior?

I would go with the second one, unless you've been seeing fire surge tearing up the PVP scene lately?

Max of only 270? I coulda sworn I saw duel arena videos etc shortly after the quest showing max hits much higher (like into the 400s)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Max of only 270? I coulda sworn I saw duel arena videos etc shortly after the quest showing max hits much higher (like into the 400s)

I assume it's a max of 270 without having any damage boosting gear on (arcane stream, etc).

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Is this new spell overpowered, or does this just go to show how ridiculously bad combat magic was prior?

I would go with the second one, unless you've been seeing fire surge tearing up the PVP scene lately?

Definitly the 2nd option.

The spell seems to be insane. Might try some mage-slaying with later.

sigtsg99tq3.png

You know how many people I've seen koed with this spell PKing?

I watched someone get smacked a 347 THROUGH PRAY AND DHIDE to get killed in wilderness.

There's been 1 person running around in max mage (virtus etc) in edge that just destroys people with the spell. He's probably made the amount he spent on the spell back in a day. He also brings torva + claws.

This research is great, I think I'm gonna buy back my staff now.

EDIT: Oh, and the staff is only 40-50m now. Get it before the info gets out tbh. I bought my staff back.

EDIT2: I got that Staff of Armadyl with max boosts is 78.5% better than fire surge in terms of damage. 66.5% better than ice barrage in terms of damage in a single combat area.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

This didn't really change anything; magic was already overpowered in PvP and now it's game-breaking. Magic is still worthless in PvM aside from niche uses like Rock Lobsters and a few slayer tasks. They need to make magic cheaper to use in PvM, and not any of this 10% cheaper crap either-- a LOT cheaper. They need a staff (obtainable in a similar manner as the ABS) that provides unlimited death or blood runes. To balance it, they could make it cause double the drain on your prayer points while wielding it.

td2sig.jpg

The only way I see this spell being overpowered in PvP is because everyone uses melee armour instead of dhide/karils. I've been splashing so much on dhide/karils today.

The only time I've seen dhide hit on constantly is by a guy in virtus max mage.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

This didn't really change anything; magic was already overpowered in PvP and now it's game-breaking. Magic is still worthless in PvM aside from niche uses like Rock Lobsters and a few slayer tasks. They need to make magic cheaper to use in PvM, and not any of this 10% cheaper crap either-- a LOT cheaper. They need a staff (obtainable in a similar manner as the ABS) that provides unlimited death or blood runes. To balance it, they could make it cause double the drain on your prayer points while wielding it.

Tbh, unlimited bloods AND deaths and limit it to elemental spells. I think this spell is good because it makes mage potentially as effective as melee on bosses (wonder what maxed mage + SoA would do to Nex? And if you're fighting Nex, expecting maxed gear seems reasonable.) But unless mage proves more effective then existing methods, it likely won't get used due to cost.

Tbh, I kinda think that the armadyl orbs or w/e should need 1k armadyl shards and drop a shard every Glacor kill. Keep making the Armadyl runes as is so that they become cheaper. (Not 100% sure on this because, Jagex has pointed out, there will be a lot more free armadyl shards to use on runes once there are more staffs in the game.)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

That would make runecrafting a complete novelty skill (like smithing is now).

What should be done is make armour also expensive to use: make everything degrade and the prices about 10-20 times as high. But alas, runescapians hate it when a feature gets "nerfed" even if it would balance the game.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

That's a terrible idea.

You have three melee stats to max as opposed to one magic.

If you made melee so prohibitively expensive:

1.) It would be useless pvm or not

2.) It it costed 10-20 times to recharge melee items then magic - then almost nothing would be profitable

That "feature" was not well planned and rather then balancing the game, it would probably just destroy it.

capt%20kevin.png

That's a terrible idea.

2.) It it costed 10-20 times to recharge melee items then magic - then almost nothing would be profitable

That "feature" was not well planned and rather then balancing the game, it would probably just destroy it.

As for the prices, well everything would just become more expensive (base price) and hence more profitable. Maybe let smithing generate products which can be used to "repair" melee equipment free of charge: so smithing becomes to melee what runecrafting is to magic.

Why would it destroy it? You have to train melee 3 times? - Well What is the problem with that, why would it become useless, it still holds more dps than magic (mostly). And the costs would balance out quickly due to price rising (as obviously people have to ask much more to sustain profit). It would make equipment more expensive, yet at the same time it would mean smithing would be usefull again, and magic would become a pvm option too. (Due to more expensive prices and thus magic costs not too high anymore).

The more variety the better in my books.

Then they came for me

That's a terrible idea.

As for the prices, well everything would just become more expensive (base price) and hence more profitable. Maybe let smithing generate products which can be used to "repair" melee equipment free of charge: so smithing becomes to melee what runecrafting is to magic.

Why would it destroy it? You have to train melee 3 times? - Well What is the problem with that, why would it become useless, it still holds more dps than magic (mostly). And the costs would balance out quickly due to price rising (as obviously people have to ask much more to sustain profit). It would make equipment more expensive, yet at the same time it would mean smithing would be usefull again, and magic would become a pvm option too. (Due to more expensive prices and thus magic costs not too high anymore).

The more variety the better in my books.

It would destroy it for very simple reasons:

More cost = less people can afford to do pvm.

More cost also = harder to profit from pvm.

You say prices would go up as supply would be limited; but if people have less money and pvm is a more elite thing to do due to cost demand will bottom out as well. Thus creating a limbo where pvm isn't profitable because nothing will sell.

And it wouldn't create more variety, there's more than enough "variety" available its just people naturally go for the best options they can, if anything the added cost would jsut polarise things more so you had a greater bulk of players on the "cheap" level gear as they can't break through to the top end.

Personally I don't see the problem, melee is naturally the best choice by and large as it is not a consuming combat format. Its the same in nearly every game out there, people go for melee as it doesn't consume stuff (and in some cases mage for the games where u have mana/reload times opposed to some form of magical ammo)

You could argue range and mage should out dps melee to balance the cost; but then thats not good gameplay because it heavily favours the rich who can blow money on it. I always see these debates on the combat triangle but personally I don't see it being that unbalanced all 3 classes have max dps in similar region and all 3 have their uses and their failings. Just happens to be we don't have many pvm situations so far where there is a significant mage weakness to exploit (other than ice strykes, barrows and glacors), same as in dg there just happens to be very few monsters with a ranged weakness significant enough to warrant using it (as a general rule I know few exceptions with hexhunter etc.)

Essentially I think my point is: People always turn to blame the combat skills themselves when they each in their own work fine, it's just the monsters we currently have favour certain tactics. All we need is a few bosses with epic range n melee def and boom mage pvm works fine.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

^As Sy said.

How would everything become "more expensive" due to base price?

If you're assuming that by creating an recharge price - you would see an increase in the price of armor, that just makes no sense.

If anything - creating an recharge price especially one as prohibitive as the one you just mentioned would make price of armors go down if anything.

Create recharge price --> Price of melee goes up --> Alternatives like magic look more attractive --> More people end up selling melee gear cause they don't need it --> Supply of armor/weapon increases while demand decreases --> Price of amour goes down

Smithing is kind of comparative to runecrafting.

Runecrafting --> make runes for spells

Smithing --> make armor

Granted, the proportion is silly - by level 40 defense, you'd need maxed smithing to create your armor but the point still stands.

Also, smithing decreases the reparing price of armor.

TBH, each skill (melee/range/mage) has its own pros and cons.

There's never going to be a true balancing of all the skills.

-You can't target multiple people with melee whereas you can barrage/chin

-Using mage/range - you can safe spot some monsters and not take damage (yeah, most monsters don't do much anyhow but you get the point)

Regardless, making silly plans like "creating a price to use melee" and claiming that Jagex doesn't want to balance the game is ridiculous.

As with everything in life, some things are more useful then others.

If you have a problem with "useless skills" like smithing, just don't train it.

However, I wonder - if you think smithing is useless, what about:

-mining

-firemaking

-crafting

-fletching

-woodcutting

My point is, there's going to be an hierarchy of skills and it's always going to exist.

capt%20kevin.png

^As Sy said.

How would everything become "more expensive" due to base price?

If you're assuming that by creating an recharge price - you would see an increase in the price of armor, that just makes no sense.

If anything - creating an recharge price especially one as prohibitive as the one you just mentioned would make price of armors go down if anything.

Create recharge price --> Price of melee goes up --> Alternatives like magic look more attractive --> More people end up selling melee gear cause they don't need it --> Supply of armor/weapon increases while demand decreases --> Price of amour goes down

Smithing is kind of comparative to runecrafting.

Runecrafting --> make runes for spells

Smithing --> make armor

Granted, the proportion is silly - by level 40 defense, you'd need maxed smithing to create your armor but the point still stands.

Also, smithing decreases the reparing price of armor.

TBH, each skill (melee/range/mage) has its own pros and cons.

There's never going to be a true balancing of all the skills.

-You can't target multiple people with melee whereas you can barrage/chin

-Using mage/range - you can safe spot some monsters and not take damage (yeah, most monsters don't do much anyhow but you get the point)

Regardless, making silly plans like "creating a price to use melee" and claiming that Jagex doesn't want to balance the game is ridiculous.

As with everything in life, some things are more useful then others.

If you have a problem with "useless skills" like smithing, just don't train it.

However, I wonder - if you think smithing is useless, what about:

-mining

-firemaking

-crafting

-fletching

-woodcutting

My point is, there's going to be an hierarchy of skills and it's always going to exist.

Fletching is "usefull" in the sense that it gives things for ranging, which are/were needed constantly. Arrows, bolts etc.. Woodcutting and mining would be useful when fletching/smithing were. I just think that nothing should be a 1 time buy for lifetime.

What I mean by increase in price: you'll see the general drops increase in price, obviously melee stuff would fall, but on the other hand magic would become more prevalent and would rise in price. And no it won't be the elite few having a good time over it: as smithing would generate "repairs", everyone would benefit: master smiths can create more replenishable stuff and profit from that, demand isn't limited in the way it is now, which means prices would constantly drop. Miners would benefit as they supply the raw goods necessary to create "recharges".

Low level monster hunters would benefit as they can find those goods (just like you can hunt for runes at low level), yet for this they don't need to have big-replenish cost equipment. Mid levels would benefit as they can find armour wich wouldn't be obsolete at some point (I really dislike how having a whipe makes a dragon long obsolete).

Then they came for me

So, I think with max boosts at level 99 magic (Acrane Stream+Amradyl Battlestaff+Full Slayer Helm+Wolper/Extr. Mage boost) combined with the new "Equilibrium" aura, you should have a minimum hit of around 340 damagae. If the calculations work as I think they do and this is true... holy crap.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000