Forum Restructuring - Completed

I'm fine with all the changes, it's just a bit of a clutter when we look at all the stuff crammed into Rusco and the Library, and all of the stuff that'd be forced into the backlogs. Might make it easier to kick off some sort of Tavern Chronicle or something like that.. But that's not really related to the topic at hand. Just my two cents. Reorganization approved.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  
  • Remove all clutter from Falador Tavern including the Back Room. Falador Tavern is a roleplaying forum and I don't see why it should get special privelages because its has few members.
  • Very few games are played in Falador Tavern but there is a lot of off-topic discussion, people are simply coming to the forum to discuss things in the back room as opposed to actually playing games.

qTLQRuS.png

Rename "Tip.Iters Runescape Events" to "Tip.Iters Events, Groups and Teams" to better incorporate looking for boss hunting groups or partners for similar activities.

I only disagree with this change.

The reason behind that would be helpful :P

I can just imagine it now, all the actual event threads getting buried in dozens of "looking for such and such group" threads.

For example, the RSOF (opps, bad example, I know) forum Teamwork has ten different "Corp CS 125+" threads, people need to join existing teams and stop making their own topics, but they don't.

If this was done, each boss would just need to have it's own sticky.

Rename "Tip.Iters Runescape Events" to "Tip.Iters Events, Groups and Teams" to better incorporate looking for boss hunting groups or partners for similar activities.

I only disagree with this change.

The reason behind that would be helpful :P

I can just imagine it now, all the actual event threads getting buried in dozens of "looking for such and such group" threads.

For example, the RSOF (opps, bad example, I know) forum Teamwork has ten different "Corp CS 125+" threads, people need to join existing teams and stop making their own topics, but they don't.

If this was done, each boss would just need to have it's own sticky.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with that. I mean the Looking for a clan/group/team forum barely has any topics based on that. Having a separate forum for it wouldn't hurt. As for actual events, the forum is next to dead when it comes to that getting very little replies unless it's widely advertised. If someone wants to advertise an event, it wouldn't hurt to have any extra traffic, and if they are really interested in keeping it active, they can just bump it. This would also bring the page up a ranking in the 'New Content' page.

This brings up another point as well - perhaps a bump button could be implemented on that forum similarly to the Recruitment board. Depending on the activity of course.

j0xPu5R.png

Make the Metagaming forum a subforum of Archive of Wisdom and rename it to "Data and Research."

I'd rather not see this get tucked away into AoW. If you are going to put it anywhere, put it in Gen. Discussion as a subforum. I'd rather it be left as it is though.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

• Make the Metagaming forum a subforum of Archive of Wisdom and rename it to "Data and Research." No. It is fine as it is. Not all discussions are pure "data and research" but just efficiency based questions or inquires. While guide makers can use this forum to collect data, not all threads started here need to be for data collecting
  • Change the RuneScape Media forum description/stickies to allow all sorts of videos/commentary/etc. instead of just artistic ones (unless they belong elsewhere like PKing videos in the Graveyard). As long as it doesn't become a blogscape or video guide forum
  • Rename "Tip.Iters Runescape Events" to "Tip.Iters Events, Groups and Teams" to better incorporate looking for boss hunting groups or partners for similar activities. Sure, might use it once in a while
  • Remove the Graveyard's "Rate This & Advice" forum. PKing questions may be posted in the regular Help & Advice .YES! IMO its useless and gets very little traffic. Besides, we in H&A need the extra topics :thumbsup:

I would REALLY like to see a "Video Guide" Sub-forum in either AOW or RS Media.

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

Would rather see "Other Jagex Games" just bundled together as one forum rather than dumped in with video games in general. Especially with Transformers and Stellar Dawn coming out soon-ish maybe?

My view as well. :) May be a bit biased though. :P

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

I've brought this up before, but we need a AoW subforum for video guides. It's gotten to the point where you can't find any quality text guides because they're all drowned out by terrible video guides posted by people with no care for the community who just want views. I know there are a few quality videomakers, but 90% of them are just awful.

Make the Metagaming forum a subforum of Archive of Wisdom and rename it to "Data and Research."

I really don't have an opinion on this, seeing as most of the 'efficent' community who pushed for the forum in the first place had a fit and left.

Change the RuneScape Media forum description/stickies to allow all sorts of videos/commentary/etc. instead of just artistic ones (unless they belong elsewhere like PKing videos in the Graveyard).

See my concerns above. Now all the actual artwork will be pushed away by people just looking for more views on their channel.

Seems like a good idea.

Remove the Graveyard's "Rate This & Advice" forum. PKing questions may be posted in the regular Help & Advice.

Doesn't really affect me, but I see no problem with it.

Merge Sports & Fitness with Off-Topic.

I support this, as long as it doesn't get out of hand and OT gets swamped with sports related threads.

Return literary discussions to Off-Topic. Actual works of literature will remain in the Varrock Library but general discussions about novels may be posted in Off-Topic.

No problem with this.

Remove the entire "Other Jagex Games" category and all forums inside of it. Users can create a thread for each game in the Video Games & Consoles forum.

I like this Idea, as the amount of discussion each game gets could easily be consolidated into one thread.

Remove the entire "ARENAScape" category and all forums inside of it. A thread can be created in the Video Games & Consoles forum.

As long as the creator and any remaining community are OK with this, I support.

Merge the Falador Tavern, Falador Library, and Rusco into one forum (Falador Tavern).

I don't see a reason why to do this. As far as I know, having an extra two subforums doesn't take up much space, and merging them really would serve no purpose. I'd maybe support merging the Library and Rusco if Archi and the others who played it are OK with it, but I see no reason to merge them into the Tavern.

Would rather see "Other Jagex Games" just bundled together as one forum rather than dumped in with video games in general. Especially with Transformers and Stellar Dawn coming out soon-ish maybe?

My view as well. :) May be a bit biased though. :P

Meh... I as well could put up with all the threads for Other Jagex Games being put into a single forum area. :shades:

But, remove the area entirely and dump it in with VG&C? I would still rage if that happened. :evil:

~D. V. "Compression, instead of removal? To me, that's a fair compromise." Devnull

==================================================

Something I forgot...

Proposition: Delete Forum Games.

[bUZZ] Sorry, but that would cause too much havoc/chaos! And now, here's your consequence! :twisted:

<*sees a boxing glove pop out of a hole in the wall and punch who_am_i so hard that they fly away, totally unconscious*>

~D. V. "Couldn't help myself... LOL" Devnull

Edited by D_V_Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

For what it's worth to me it seems to be a way to mask inactivity and create an aura/Illusion of a more busy forum by combining less visited places with bigger forums that in some case of some of these forums on the chopping block, actually used to get traffic - perhaps restructuring the rules and flow of them may be more beneficial than just merging them. It creates a better overall look when everything looks busier....A forum for a Hobby of mine recently expanded it's total forum categories by 2x making a forum that i could of swore was always busy, seem like a ghost town at times. Tif has always been over-categorize in an anal effort to place everything where it belongs - and if a trend popped up, it always seemed like a sub-forum was created in order to keep the forum that the trend started in - free of the trend. As one of the driving forces behind the Sport's and Fitness forum which is on the chopping block, I can understand the reasoning behind so many forums - and see the reason for it to be merged again.

So

That was one of the original proposed ideas for the forum and a logical move, it's obvious the vast majority of the userbase it was created for, is no longer here.

Change the RuneScape Media forum description/stickies to allow all sorts of videos/commentary/etc. instead of just artistic ones (unless they belong elsewhere like PKing videos in the Graveyard).

Should of been done ages ago.

A smart and logical change

Remove the Graveyard's "Rate This & Advice" forum. PKing questions may be posted in the regular Help & Advice.
Or just let them be asked in the graveyard? it's not like it's bustling or ever really has been - and i'm sure if a question is asked by one user in help and advice and one in the graveyard, it's not the end of the world. It's such a small percentage of users needing help in this aspect it doesn't really *need* a preset place.

Sounds feasible

Return literary discussions to Off-Topic. Actual works of literature will remain in the Varrock Library but general discussions about novels may be posted in Off-Topic.

I personally feel actual works of literature could go anywhere - A poem would get more feedback in off topic than in the Library, a desolate wasteland where most works get no feedback.

Remove the entire "Other Jagex Games" category and all forums inside of it. Users can create a thread for each game in the Video Games & Consoles forum.

I'd agree with nic and Darkdude, leave a section of it for those who play those games, Personally i don't consider them proper videogames - and it's a nice homeage to the creators of the game this forum is about

Remove the entire "ARENAScape" category and all forums inside of it. A thread can be created in the Video Games & Consoles forum.

Holy crap, it's about time! I think I just lost a bet with someone about how long these would stay. haha.

Merge the Falador Tavern, Falador Library, and Rusco into one forum (Falador Tavern).
would work, but the tavern had a decent userbase - they may be able to provide some feedback personalized in the actual tavern - the people who don't use it, shouldn't be able to judge it's fate here in this avenue. The Tavern group was an eccentric bunch, but if I had to pick one thing that would make half of them ragequit - doing this based on the feedback of the community as a whole would be it. Go to them, discuss it with just the regulars and work out a compromise with them. - That seems to be the fair, professional and honorable solution. What's the point of merging those forums if it irks the existing userbase and they don't post? I could actually see that one happening.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I give you guys complete permission to do whatever you like.

And frankly (and I say this non sarcastically), I've always found that whole forum of the Falador Tavern extremely pretentious. Like, jeepers creepers velma not even fred's ascott is this bad.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I give you guys complete permission to do whatever you like.

And frankly (and I say this non sarcastically), I've always found that whole forum of the Falador Tavern extremely pretentious. Like, jeepers creepers velma not even fred's ascott is this bad.

We can be.

I wish the opinion were otherwise, so more people would come and play/host games. C'est la vie, so long as we can still get along with the outside subforums on an individual basis. :thumbup:

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

The ideas seem good, one suggestion I might add is that in some of the less busy forums like tech forum when someone posts a detailed thread about a new build they've done & it's moved into some lame picture thread sticky because they used pictures of the build, needs to ease up a bit. The forum itself isn't the most busy & moving posts into stickys hides them from view creating more of a chance it will be missed resulting in less discussion.

I'm not saying moderators are doing a bad job, in fact they are great, but I feel the strictness they have developed from when this forum was sometimes frantic can ease off now that it's not as lively.

Basically review some of the stickys, & what's forced into them as I feel it's suffocating some posts that could spark debate as well as life into some forums.

Yes this is written out of personal bitter experience, but also because I feel I have a valid point.

I think all of the changes here look sound, bar one:

This seems silly to me; though Sports & Fitness may not be the most active sub-forum, Off-Topic would be too crowded in my opinion if we incorporated yet another aspect into it. Similarly, if literary discussion is added to OT, it'd be the sort of thing that may well need a subforum of its own too.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I think too crowded is part of the goal. Things look more active than they are. I do agree with roswellcrash and feel things are often forced to be in a sticky - inhibiting discussion and activity for the sake of order and being "by the book"

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I fail to see how, exactly...

We aren't the ones 'informing' the powers that be that we 'give permission' for them to 'do whatever they want with whatever they want.'

No, quite the reverse, we sit, quietly, in our little corner, welcoming any who approach, though few do.

We make no requests beyond the Tavern, we do not assume to consider ourselves better than any other board, nor do we treat any board with the contempt often showed to us by those such as yourself.

If you find it pretenious to be proud of your friends and post mates then please, ardently argue to remove the friend function in our profiles, for that is the ultimate in pretention.

If you find it pretenious to have loyalty to a community then please, start a campaign to destroy Tip It itself, for clearly 'Hey, You Tip.iter' is the ultimate in pretention.

Is it little wonder that so few join Falador Tavern when the moment they do they are lumbered with the contempt of those such as yourself?

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

As the designated moderator for that area, I can honestly say that things do get a little pretentious sometimes. Mostly because it's really rare for us to get new blood because we're at the bottom of the forum, so we've developed a sort of subcommunity amongst ourselves. However, assuming that we are all pretention, all the time, seems a bit harsh to me. Especially since it would seem that you haven't given the forum a shot or posted there once to try breaking the ice...

As for the changes, I'm going to say that I have no problem with them being implemented.

a70c7.png

The ideas seem good, one suggestion I might add is that in some of the less busy forums like tech forum when someone posts a detailed thread about a new build they've done & it's moved into some lame picture thread sticky because they used pictures of the build, needs to ease up a bit. The forum itself isn't the most busy & moving posts into stickys hides them from view creating more of a chance it will be missed resulting in less discussion.

I'm happy with easing up on that in some of the less active forums. But to be fair, I don't think that has happened in the Tech & Computers forum in months :P I think it's nice having the sticky there in case people want to use it, because some people just won't post their own thread for that kind of thing. But if someone were to post outside the sticky like right now, I wouldn't mind. If there are any other forums where you feel this is an issue feel free to let me know :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'm happy with easing up on that in some of the less active forums. But to be fair, I don't think that has happened in the Tech & Computers forum in months :P I think it's nice having the sticky there in case people want to use it, because some people just won't post their own thread for that kind of thing. But if someone were to post outside the sticky like right now, I wouldn't mind. If there are any other forums where you feel this is an issue feel free to let me know :)

If I wanted to post pics of a small thing I'd done to my build, like install a SSD, I don't think that would warrant an entire thread, even on a not-so-active forum, so that sticky is good.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche