Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Statistics of the F2P game

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Piu
[ Display Name History ]

Piu

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • RSN:Piu
  • Clan:EoE
As you all know, the F2P as we know it is currently deteriorating. Realizing so, I decided to look at the amount of F2P players online:

11/16/2011, 2:00 PM GMT

10 HOURS LATER

11/17/2011, 12:00PM GMT

Simple math tells us that F2P players only make up 18-19% of the RuneScape playerbase. That's less than 1/5 of the community! If you think that's low, in about 12 hours from now, it can reach down to 10%. This is neglecting the factor where some of the players in the F2P world are P2P players, or P2P players taking a break from the members world.

I don't know what these numbers mean, but they're shockingly low to me. With Jagex removing highscores, and refusing to provide updates to the F2P game, what will become of it? What is Jagex trying to do?

Disclaimer: Thanks to Sees_All1/Sqelt for pointing this out to me a few days ago.
Posted Image
Posted Image

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Fresi
[ Display Name History ]

Fresi

X-TET

• Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Fresi
  • Clan:HYT
some of those in f2p worlds are members *plox*
also, i don't see anything dramatic happen due to this change
Posted Image
Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers
They're using the low F2P numbers after the bot nuke as an excuse to cut the free game back even further instead of waiting for those who quit in disgust over the bots to return.

If they had simply been patient for a few months, while continuing to make improvements, they probably would have seen the number of active players go up. Now it's more likely to keep going down. What are they going to to when a large chunk of that 18% quit? Start cutting back on P2P benefits?

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Piu
[ Display Name History ]

Piu

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 840 posts
I'm not talking about the HS removal. I'm talking about what Jagex plans to do with the F2P game. They could either let it die by it's own and remove it when the playerbase gets small enough, or add more content updates to improve it's gameplay quality and popularity all together

What are you talking about? None of the worlds listed are P2P.

Posted Image

EDIT: I've read wrongly. And if some of the players in F2P worlds are P2P, then my point is proven further.
Posted Image
Posted Image

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw

I'm not talking about the HS removal. I'm talking about what Jagex plans to do with the F2P game. They could either let it die by it's own and remove it when the playerbase gets small enough, or add more content updates to improve it's gameplay quality and popularity all together

What are you talking about? None of the worlds listed are P2P.

Posted Image

He means that you can be member and be in a F2P world (for example for GOP). Also you are not taking in account that many of these players could be normally members but just taking a break from being member. And maybe in the evening more F2P-ers then P2P-ers could be online (for w/e reason) or on saterday and sunday. So you would have to look at a whole week at least.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Piu
[ Display Name History ]

Piu

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 840 posts
Yes, I noticed. It's late and I've read what he said wrongly. :P

I've been looking at the F2P playerbase for a few days, not just now, mind you. This is usually the peak hour for F2P players (for some reason), which is why I've chosen to make the thread now. If needed, I'll update this thread everyday at 12 hour intervals just to keep the results accurate.

Also you are not taking in account that many of these players could be normally members but just taking a break from being member.

If so, it just means that the actual F2P playerbase is actually less than calculated.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Arthu
[ Display Name History ]

Arthu

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • RSN:Arttu

What is Jagex trying to do?

They're hoping that...

1. the existing members will introduce enough new people to runescape
and
2. enough many of them will get pay-to-play, motivated by either existing members or the game itself
and
3. enough many of them will get it soon and keep it for a good while

The action of removing hiscores might make more people

1. get it soon
and/or
2. keep it for a longer while
and/or
3. less motivated to keep playing at all

My answer to the question: They're dicing with people (people as currency, not opponent), just like ANY company.

What are the odds? We can't know. Neither can they.

~Arttu "I'm paying for members for a good while." H.
Posted Image
99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.
9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?
Posted Image
I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Makoto D
The numbers have been horribly low since the Bot Nuke (which isn't surprising), but the bigger issue is that Jagex hasn't shown interest in keeping the F2P fanbase they have.

Where do I see these numbers leading? To about another month of research and a gamble with a strictly P2P business model.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Central_Keeper
[ Display Name History ]

Central_Keeper

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 474 posts
Well, you can't blame being such a low number of F2p player in all the servers because.

The bot drove out legimate player and first timer because they overcrowd places
Long term player stop playing or switch to member to avoid the bot issue
Too many servers in the first place to support bots

So Jagex pretty much did this to themselves in the first place, and they are trying to cut back the few redeeming point of F2p after they save it.

The only thing they can do now is wait for the number to replenish themselves over time.
a happy Runescaper

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Where do I see these numbers leading? To about another month of research and a gamble with a strictly P2P business model.

That would be a huge mistake and cost them pretty much any new people who might be interested in the game. If there's no free game (or at the very least a demo), then people will simply try another game that has one. No one is going to start paying a monthly fee for a game they've never played.

The only thing they can do now is wait for the number to replenish themselves over time.

Exactly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • RSN:Makoto D

That would be a huge mistake and cost them pretty much any new people who might be interested in the game. If there's no free game (or at the very least a demo), then people will simply try another game that has one. No one is going to start paying a monthly fee for a game they've never played.

I never said it wasn't a mistake. I just can't see any uplifting trend out of the situation at the moment. It'd be a horrible move, there's no denying that, but I'm really not sure what other options they'd have beyond this.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
I think this just goes to show that 80% of the people botting were F2P. The bot infestation really was an open sore on the "most popular free mmorpg". Unfortunately not all the people playing in F2P are all players, advert bots have started to creep back into the game.

Whatever, if JaGEx doesn't realize that its free to play business model is why they were so successful, we'll all have to find a new game.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Bows
[ Display Name History ]

Bows

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

~Arttu "I'm paying for members for a good while." H.

Please God, not another one.

Even though I have always been a paying member, I find this a bit hard to swallow. F2P is still an important part of the game and Jagex is effectively working to kill it off. Or so it seems.

SwreeTak
[ Display Name History ]

SwreeTak

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,739 posts
  • RSN:SwreeTak
  • Clan:Arcane Chroniclers
Certainly the drop in players in F2P is a problem. I really hope Jagex realizes this soon too, and start to build on F2P instead of deconstructing it.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

pal2002
[ Display Name History ]

pal2002

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • Location:Thine alabaster cities gleam, Undimmed by human tears
As I 've said many times now, all jagex is trying to do these days is extracting as much revenue from the dying game as possible.
They don't giv a damn about new players - only to get more money from the hardcore/loyal players.

With the bot removal they have a prime opportunity to revitalize f2p, but they decide to get as much membership out of itas possible. There is no hope for f2p or the rest of the game in general...
I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles
Posted Image

Dire_Wolf
[ Display Name History ]

Dire_Wolf

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,721 posts
Those numbers represents how F2P is. ---->boring.

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

I think this just goes to show that 80% of the people botting were F2P. The bot infestation really was an open sore on the "most popular free mmorpg". Unfortunately not all the people playing in F2P are all players, advert bots have started to creep back into the game.

Whatever, if JaGEx doesn't realize that its free to play business model is why they were so successful, we'll all have to find a new game.

This.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

pal2002
[ Display Name History ]

pal2002

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • Location:Thine alabaster cities gleam, Undimmed by human tears

This.

+2
I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles
Posted Image

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Those numbers represent just how how out of control the bot problem was in the free game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dire_Wolf
[ Display Name History ]

Dire_Wolf

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,721 posts

Those numbers represent just how how out of control the bot problem was in the free game.

That too. :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users