Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will all of rs wiki's content to be copied over to the official rs wiki?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

enfield
[ Display Name History ]

enfield

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:realitybugll
Is there going to be a WAR :ohnoes: ? What do you see being the fate of the respective wikis? Can they coexist?

Here's rs wiki's plea for that not to be done http://runescape.wik.../Copying_notice

It seems very sad. Outside of suing jagex I think all they can do is monitor the official rs wiki.

====

maybe we should see if there is a historical precedent - have two wiki's on the same subject ever managed to coexist??

Edited by enfield, 25 November 2011 - 10:10 PM.
Mod Edit: Fixed the title for you. =)

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts
  • RSN:Mercifull
  • Clan:Tip.It
It's a wiki, eventually all the content will be replicated. The wikia will slowly die.

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Formerly_Deathknell
[ Display Name History ]

Formerly_Deathknell

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Bite Me
I think if anyone did, RSWiki could contact Jagex and they would likely take it down. I do feel bad for Wiki though. Just cause Jagex is too lazy and incompetent to produce an accurate manual for their game.
Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

Auror
[ Display Name History ]

Auror

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • RSN:Don Auror
I don't understand why Jagex even created this Jambulex Wiki. The only pros in this is that there won't be Site hacks (similar to what tip.it had to experience a few weeks ago).

P.S. I haven't been there in JWiki, so if I have said soemthing completely senseless, then do not flame me :c

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

I think if anyone did, RSWiki could contact Jagex and they would likely take it down. I do feel bad for Wiki though. Just cause Jagex is too lazy and incompetent to produce an accurate manual for their game.

You say this like the wiki is "contributed too" by incompetent morons who fill out inaccurate facts and outright lies then get angry and put them back when someone corrects it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

enfield
[ Display Name History ]

enfield

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 390 posts

hmm yeah, they could contact jagex. But maybe they could also just edit out whatever it was that was copied (if there's a rule that justifies doing so). Or flag it, or something. I wonder if jagex has said anything about this - about what they want editors to do if they see plagiarized content.

ForsakenMage
[ Display Name History ]

ForsakenMage

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 6,856 posts
  • RSN:ForsakenMage
  • RSN2:Pengew Ami
  • Clan:EoE
The official RS Wiki has a lot of errors... :|

That being said, I do feel sorry for RS Wiki. It's going to be difficult to find out whether or not content is being copied over unless it was blatant copy-and-paste. :(

Ned
[ Display Name History ]

Ned

Neddybear

• Website Crew
  • 2,786 posts
  • RSN:Animamundi
  • RSN2:Concord
  • Clan:Loot Hunters
I don't feel like this should happen as frequently as we think. What's the incentive to copy and paste other sources? All you can do with that is look back and know that's what you did. No names or credits exist on the wiki as far as I know? At least if you contribute original content you can feel good about it, knowing that the official RS Bandos guide has your work, and that players are reading it.

I mean clearly it's a problem, but I'm confused as to why people even want to go through copying and pasting. There's no psychic reward.

But anyway, I don't think it'll be an all out war. It is all really unfortunate though. This website update is just asking for problems. And I feel uncomfortable, even with all the disclaimers about being community maintained, that the official RuneScape website has potentially bad/inaccurate information about the game.
Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Makoto D
Thing is, there are clauses on both ends that prevent the verbatim copying of content over to Jagex's Wiki.

CC-BY-SA means you have to attribute the source with links (where possible), and Jagex's Wiki has a stipulation that all content you submit is your own.

If there is a ton of CC-BY-SA violations occurring on Jagex's Wiki, I expect some bad blood between Jagex and RSWiki at first. But ultimately they'll resolve it.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Troacctid
[ Display Name History ]

Troacctid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,419 posts
  • RSN:Troacctid
  • Clan:The Farming Guild
Plagiarism is bad, guys. Seriously, don't copy and paste.

enfield
[ Display Name History ]

enfield

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 390 posts

I don't feel like this should happen as frequently as we think. What's the incentive to copy and paste other sources? All you can do with that is look back and know that's what you did. No names or credits exist on the wiki as far as I know? At least if you contribute original content you can feel good about it, knowing that the official RS Bandos guide has your work, and that players are reading it.

I mean clearly it's a problem, but I'm confused as to why people even want to go through copying and pasting. There's no psychic reward.

great point! :).

UserOnRS
[ Display Name History ]

UserOnRS

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • RSN:User
I don't really see the problem, other RS fansites probably copy off others in some way, shape or form - if someone just copies and pastes a whole quest guide or the whole treasure trails guide for instance I can't see it going unnoticed.
Posted Image

Mojo_Monkey
[ Display Name History ]

Mojo_Monkey

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • RSN:Mojo Monkey
  • Clan:PvmDG

+1
Posted Image
Posted Image

Helm_Lardar
[ Display Name History ]

Helm_Lardar

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • RSN:Helm Lardar
I feel that the KB and the RS wiki seem to hold very different purposes.

I'm really not sure why Jagex made this thing editable now...you're inviting a whole bunch of trolls, and pretty much no genuine useful information because of the very tight, closed guides Jagex produces that are aimed at totally different things (descriptions of places and skill lists, mostly) than the wiki guides (items, up to date and helpfully hinting quest guides, skill training and other guides).

I'm not an efficienado.

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts
  • RSN:Mercifull
  • Clan:Tip.It

Posted Image

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

enfield
[ Display Name History ]

enfield

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 390 posts

I don't really see the problem, other RS fansites probably copy off others in some way, shape or form - if someone just copies and pastes a whole quest guide or the whole treasure trails guide for instance I can't see it going unnoticed.

Yeah, but the thing about wiki's is that even if it doesn't go unnoticed, it can just be re-plagarized. But as Warriormonkx points out the incentive for doing that is probably too low to make that a legitimate concern.

Fire_Hawk154
[ Display Name History ]

Fire_Hawk154

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • RSN:Fire Hawk154
  • RSN2:Bud Bundy
  • Clan:CE, TLL, TR, FD
I like the original wiki more, since I didn't have to pay 5$ to share my knowledge.

B71AkU0.png      Fire_Hawk154.png

Star.
[ Display Name History ]

Star.

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Looks like they wanna get more traffic on their site rather than fansites. I'd still use the Rune Wiki rather than the official one, much more easy to navigate and simpler website.

Posted Image
☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

K4ylan
[ Display Name History ]

K4ylan

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,924 posts
  • RSN:Harpy Priest
  • Clan:Harpies
who the balls would use the official wiki over the original rs wiki?

Mojo_Monkey
[ Display Name History ]

Mojo_Monkey

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • RSN:Mojo Monkey
  • Clan:PvmDG

who the balls would use the official wiki over the original rs wiki?

Sat here for 20 mins refreshing to see new siggies...
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users