Will all of rs wiki's content to be copied over to the official rs wiki?

enfield

Is there going to be a WAR :ohnoes: ? What do you see being the fate of the respective wikis? Can they coexist?

Here's rs wiki's plea for that not to be done http://runescape.wik.../Copying_notice

It seems very sad. Outside of suing jagex I think all they can do is monitor the official rs wiki.

====

maybe we should see if there is a historical precedent - have two wiki's on the same subject ever managed to coexist??

Edited by enfield
Mod Edit: Fixed the title for you. =)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a wiki, eventually all the content will be replicated. The wikia will slowly die.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I think if anyone did, RSWiki could contact Jagex and they would likely take it down. I do feel bad for Wiki though. Just cause Jagex is too lazy and incompetent to produce an accurate manual for their game.

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

I don't understand why Jagex even created this Jambulex Wiki. The only pros in this is that there won't be Site hacks (similar to what tip.it had to experience a few weeks ago).

P.S. I haven't been there in JWiki, so if I have said soemthing completely senseless, then do not flame me :c

I think if anyone did, RSWiki could contact Jagex and they would likely take it down. I do feel bad for Wiki though. Just cause Jagex is too lazy and incompetent to produce an accurate manual for their game.

You say this like the wiki is "contributed too" by incompetent morons who fill out inaccurate facts and outright lies then get angry and put them back when someone corrects it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

hmm yeah, they could contact jagex. But maybe they could also just edit out whatever it was that was copied (if there's a rule that justifies doing so). Or flag it, or something. I wonder if jagex has said anything about this - about what they want editors to do if they see plagiarized content.

The official RS Wiki has a lot of errors... :|

That being said, I do feel sorry for RS Wiki. It's going to be difficult to find out whether or not content is being copied over unless it was blatant copy-and-paste. :(

I don't feel like this should happen as frequently as we think. What's the incentive to copy and paste other sources? All you can do with that is look back and know that's what you did. No names or credits exist on the wiki as far as I know? At least if you contribute original content you can feel good about it, knowing that the official RS Bandos guide has your work, and that players are reading it.

I mean clearly it's a problem, but I'm confused as to why people even want to go through copying and pasting. There's no psychic reward.

But anyway, I don't think it'll be an all out war. It is all really unfortunate though. This website update is just asking for problems. And I feel uncomfortable, even with all the disclaimers about being community maintained, that the official RuneScape website has potentially bad/inaccurate information about the game.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Thing is, there are clauses on both ends that prevent the verbatim copying of content over to Jagex's Wiki.

CC-BY-SA means you have to attribute the source with links (where possible), and Jagex's Wiki has a stipulation that all content you submit is your own.

If there is a ton of CC-BY-SA violations occurring on Jagex's Wiki, I expect some bad blood between Jagex and RSWiki at first. But ultimately they'll resolve it.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I don't feel like this should happen as frequently as we think. What's the incentive to copy and paste other sources? All you can do with that is look back and know that's what you did. No names or credits exist on the wiki as far as I know? At least if you contribute original content you can feel good about it, knowing that the official RS Bandos guide has your work, and that players are reading it.

I mean clearly it's a problem, but I'm confused as to why people even want to go through copying and pasting. There's no psychic reward.

great point! :).

I don't really see the problem, other RS fansites probably copy off others in some way, shape or form - if someone just copies and pastes a whole quest guide or the whole treasure trails guide for instance I can't see it going unnoticed.

imagangster.png

I feel that the KB and the RS wiki seem to hold very different purposes.

I'm really not sure why Jagex made this thing editable now...you're inviting a whole bunch of trolls, and pretty much no genuine useful information because of the very tight, closed guides Jagex produces that are aimed at totally different things (descriptions of places and skill lists, mostly) than the wiki guides (items, up to date and helpfully hinting quest guides, skill training and other guides).

I'm not an efficienado.

Plagiarism is bad, guys. Seriously, don't copy and paste.

trollfacephoto.jpg

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I don't really see the problem, other RS fansites probably copy off others in some way, shape or form - if someone just copies and pastes a whole quest guide or the whole treasure trails guide for instance I can't see it going unnoticed.

Yeah, but the thing about wiki's is that even if it doesn't go unnoticed, it can just be re-plagarized. But as Warriormonkx points out the incentive for doing that is probably too low to make that a legitimate concern.

Looks like they wanna get more traffic on their site rather than fansites. I'd still use the Rune Wiki rather than the official one, much more easy to navigate and simpler website.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

You say this like the wiki is "contributed too" by incompetent morons who fill out inaccurate facts and outright lies then get angry and put them back when someone corrects it.

That sounds about right. :thumbup:

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

Thing is, there are clauses on both ends that prevent the verbatim copying of content over to Jagex's Wiki.

CC-BY-SA means you have to attribute the source with links (where possible), and Jagex's Wiki has a stipulation that all content you submit is your own.

If there is a ton of CC-BY-SA violations occurring on Jagex's Wiki, I expect some bad blood between Jagex and RSWiki at first. But ultimately they'll resolve it.

Yeah, I was going to mention this.

As soon as an editor on RS Wiki hits "Submit", their content has been 'given' to RS Wiki subject to a CC-BY-SA license. However, one of the conditions of said license is that although third parties are free to use whatever the license is for, the original author(s) must be accredited in any subsequent versions. Another condition (the Share-Alike part) means that if the content is used elsewhere, it must be released under the same CC-BY-SA license as the original work.

Well firstly, Jagex's Wiki does not allow authors and contributors to be named, therefore there is no means to credit someone else's work. Secondly, everything submitted to Jagex is protected under commercial copyright, therefore they're not publishing the information under SA terms.

Simply put, unless Jagex change the copyright status of information on their website, and until they provide a way of naming a work's original creators, they cannot either themselves copy information from RS Wiki, or allow others to copy information to their website on their behalf, and if RS Wiki found a case of plagiarism, Jagex are legally obliged to remove it immediately.

It could be, just like any other fan site guides and website. Just simply don't do it. Respect the creators who created the content instead of taking it for your own.

But amongst a community of flagrant botters, this is a naive sentiment methinks.