JAGEX LIMITED v.IMPULSE SOFTWARE, ERIC SNELLMAN, and MARK SNELLMAN

Mercifull

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BY ODIN'S NIPPLES!

Now that is one hell of an achievement. I'm going to be curious to see what happens to all those players who've been using it though.

I doubt much. All people got on the bot nuke were legal threats. Some still got rollbacks, but idk. Jagex needs to keep members, and I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume a large portion of current paying members used impsoft bots. While I could care less if cheaters got banned and I'd actually support it, but longterm wise I don't see it as a good investment. It's not like they could resume botting and especially now.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

This is absolutely outstanding, and quite a blow to the botting communities of other games. There was much debate earlier about how no one would ever win any of these court cases because there was no legal precedent. Well, there's one hell of a precedent now.

Congratulations, Jagex! It was hard fought, but they never gave up. =D>

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

This is great news, and I have little to no sympathy for the bot owners, especially if they had made enough to live in the house posted on the second page. Hopefully now this has been won Jagex can start focusing on other issues and put their money into more content, etc.

Bloody hell nice house!

[hide]nicehouse.jpg

6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, 8,071 sqft. And if you were wondering whats under that glass roof, its an indoor pool.

picture-uh=b77f933939d81c661d4e315b77be9f6d-ps=9085cf1ba1438aa63da570bd95e2885b.jpg[/hide]

Estimates value (according to Trulia): $1,099,000

Wow. I didn't realise the kind of cash bot making could make. That is pretty astounding, assuming they didn't make the money another way.

I'll be honest, I didn't think jagex would reach any realistic success with lawsuits. Now they just need to not take three steps backwards.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

What were they charged with?

Both copyright and trademark infringement, computer fraud and abuse, violation of the DCMA and tortious interference with contract (basically violating the user agreement).

Edit: not sure if that's all they were charged with, but that's what they were convicted of.

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

How can someone who CREATES something get any problems?

It's somethign I never understand and won't ever: creating is good, it bring news technology and helps life forward. It doesn't matter what you create as long as you are creating and using it for correct means it should never ever be regarded as "bad".

I'm very much against the act of botting. However now they're just kiling a bee by removing all plants and flowers. Instead this lawsuit should go against the people who BOT. Jagex has even mail adresses & local data of them, why aren't they simply doing that, and calling every botter to the court?

Really this seems once again the world upside down, but that's to be expected from the otherside of the world, they live upside down there :P.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

It doesn't matter what you create as long as you are creating and using it for correct means it should never ever be regarded as "bad".

Does that statement truly apply considering they were developing software they knew to be illegal, against the game's TOS, and having no other purpose other than to continue to violate those terms? If something's sole purpose is to violate set guidelines, most people would understandably label the creators and their works as "bad".

hzvjpwS.gif

It doesn't matter what you create as long as you are creating and using it for correct means it should never ever be regarded as "bad".

Does that statement truly apply considering they were developing software they knew to be illegal, against the game's TOS, and having no other purpose other than to continue to violate those terms? If something's sole purpose is to violate set guidelines, most people would understandably label the creators and their works as "bad".

The act of using it illegally is not good. The act of creating it is good. - At least that's how I work against things, and I know many others see it in the same way.

Similarly how previously reading ".doc" files with other tools than those provided by microsoft was against the terms of use by microsoft. Yet lots of tools did appear in the open source circuit. "Illegal" by law, though they're yet considered "good alternatives" nowadays.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

The act of using it illegally is not good. The act of creating it is good.

Why, when it's created and has no other purpose but to do bad things?

A person makes a mapping software for dungeoneering that adheres to jagex's 3rd party client rules and helps people. That's good.

A person makes a botting program and sells it for 20 bucks a pop, and it doesn't adhere to 3rd party client rules. That's bad.

I don't understand how the act of creating can be separated from the creation's sole function. o_O

hzvjpwS.gif

Bloody hell nice house!

[hide]nicehouse.jpg

6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, 8,071 sqft. And if you were wondering whats under that glass roof, its an indoor pool.

picture-uh=b77f933939d81c661d4e315b77be9f6d-ps=9085cf1ba1438aa63da570bd95e2885b.jpg[/hide]

Estimates value (according to Trulia): $1,099,000

Wow. I didn't realise the kind of cash bot making could make. That is pretty astounding, assuming they didn't make the money another way.

I'll be honest, I didn't think jagex would reach any realistic success with lawsuits. Now they just need to not take three steps backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmx5lzacZ-M&feature=related

That's [bleep]ing disgusting...

Popoto.~<3

I'm fairly certain creating a deadly plague or a massive atomic weapon that could blow up the moon and fit in an aglet would be examples of bad things. Creation is not always a good thing.

Gratz on Jagex for winning this fight against the bots, but I'm personally a little begrudged that prayer pots probably won't ever fall back down to like 2k a pop and cannonballs like 250GP ea :rolleyes:

I'm fairly certain creating a deadly plague or a massive atomic weapon that could blow up the moon and fit in an aglet would be examples of bad things. Creation is not always a good thing.

Gratz on Jagex for winning this fight against the bots, but I'm personally a little begrudged that prayer pots probably won't ever fall back down to like 2k a pop and cannonballs like 250GP ea :rolleyes:

the collective is evolving, theyll be back, its just a matter of when.

That place is not far from where I live. I'm tempted to drive there and hold up a Runefest: 2012 sign in the driveway.

I'm like 2.5 or 3 hours away. Kinda tempted :3

According to Google Maps, I'm almost exactly an hour away. I'm sure it's in a gated community.

the collective is evolving, theyll be back, its just a matter of when.

They'll be back, but for how long? Software development can be a never ending battle between the hackers who want to exploit, automate, or break the game, and the developers, who want to stop all of these things. Once one thing is found, an effort is made to fix it. Once it's fixed, an effort is made to break it again.

However, Jagex seems to be willing to pour far more resources into breaking botting for good than the bot-developers are and now they're also utilizing means of legally getting to the head of the bots.

This is certainly a critical point for Jagex, and also for prayer pots, cballs, and chins.

How can someone who CREATES something get any problems?

It's somethign I never understand and won't ever: creating is good, it bring news technology and helps life forward. It doesn't matter what you create as long as you are creating and using it for correct means it should never ever be regarded as "bad".

I'm very much against the act of botting. However now they're just kiling a bee by removing all plants and flowers. Instead this lawsuit should go against the people who BOT. Jagex has even mail adresses & local data of them, why aren't they simply doing that, and calling every botter to the court?

Really this seems once again the world upside down, but that's to be expected from the otherside of the world, they live upside down there :P.

I have the feeling Pulli23 is a character from 1984, because this post is one giant memory hole. No, don't look at the people holding the strings, look at the puppets, look at the puppets, don't look there, look here.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I don't feel sorry for them at all. They did what they did knowing full well that they were breaking the law.if anything they should count themselves lucky.

That. I'm sick of seeing people go out of their way to break rules and laws and them not being punished for it. It's ridiculous. Irritates me to no end.

Nicely done Jagex. I knew you would get something done about the bots.

35b9enp.jpg

Instead this lawsuit should go against the people who BOT. Jagex has even mail adresses & local data of them, why aren't they simply doing that, and calling every botter to the court?

Probably because they don't really have any proof that people who bought the program actually used it (I will admit, it's extremely unlikely they didn't).

Thread with all CAPS title about some bot nonsense? Sounds like a- OH MY GOD

2vuf1vr.gif

JAGEX ACTUALLY DID THE STUFF THEY SAID THEY'D DO AND IT WORKED AND EVERYTHING'S ALL BETTER NOW AND THE BOT DEVELOPERS ARE FEIGNING REMOURSE AHAHAHAHA!

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000