The Back Room

stevepole

Since everyone's doing it, I may as well post my seven classes.

1:AP US History (one of those fun courses that gives summer homework)

2:American Literature Honors

3:AP Biology

4:pre calc (introduction to analysis)

5:Journalism I&II (both semester long courses)

6:AP art history

7:French IV Honors

This is going to be a fun year.

LNYvk.png

Apperantly, I've been blocked off of my messenger thing.... I'm gonna have to figure out how to fix it, if that's possible from my iPod.

Fixed it. I am getting good at fixing things. First it was kinex, then a marble rollercoaster thing that came from china/Japan, my old computer, Internet for my laptop, and now messenger on my iPod. :twss:

Ahahaha, they messed up my schedule so badly.

They forgot to give me one period in the day and forgot to add two math classes. :D

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

/le baww.

Just for the sake of whining:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Kay I'm done.

That's sucks Techy. XD

I want his Children....is that bad?

tumblr_ls7ay4jSmN1r0zf2k.gif

Anybody know how to end a case of SEVEARE writer's block? I've got it pretty bad, and I owe a chapter for my Transformer's fanfic still. And I owe about 10 - 15 chapters for a story I've been working on for a loooong time.

Sometimes watching stuff gives ideas, of course don't outright take an idea, but change them.

Or stop thinking about it for a while and come back to it

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

I have a case of writer's fatigue...Not quite the same thing, but I would imagine I will cure it with a good night's sleep...not sure entirely when that will be, but soon =P

On an unrelated note, anyone ever tried listening to music they know well at slower speeds?

Its a whole new experiance, because you recognise some of it, but there is a lot you don't normally hear.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Well, once I was messing around with the balance between bass and treble on my car's speakers (didn't know you could do that before) and I heard a buncha crap from the cellos that I've never heard before.

And a wierd gurgle in the opera singer's throat. I changed it back though, because you can't hear bumbling bass against the sounds of the road anyways.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Mather, what I mean is hearing what is too obvious to hear...or too small to hear.

For instance, the first second of a song, or the second after that.

We listen, but we do not hear them. We are aware of their existance, but we know little about them. We hear them only as a fleeting second in a hoard of seconds...Even if we listened to that track a hundred times that one second is still just one second of the song.

And when we look closely at that one second we see that it is not merely one second, but a host of miliseconds, of sounds that we are not even aware of.

Its like a video, you could watch a video a thousand times and still not see something. If you watched it in slow motion, say half speed, then you get more from the video, that roll of the eyes, or expression that you didn't see before, if you progress it frame by frame then all of those moments stand out.

With music every second harbours so much, and when we listen at normal speeds we only just scratch the surface of the music. (though, of course, things take much longer at slower speeds =P)

But your responce reminds me of the fable about the man and the rock.

In summery:

Man is the keeper of this rock, and has studied it intensely.

Another man comes along with a microscope and asks if the man will allow him to look though the microscope at the rock (Which is special for some reason, I forget the details).

The man, so confident that he knows all there is to know about the rock, refuses him and says that any question that he has about the rock can be answered by him.

Anywho, after more narrative the man is eventually convinced to look through the microscope and is stunned by what he sees, shortly thereafter he leaves the sacred/special rock because he has failed as a keeper of knowledge by refusing to accept new knowledge when offered, beliving that there is no more left to know.

Can also be summed up as a saying by Confucius 'He who keeps the old akindle and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher'

No.

At 1/4th speed electric guitars sound like steel rods being hammered through your head.

You hear all other instruments vibrate.

Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne sound like they're singing while their [cabbage]ting.

Regular Rock sounds like Rock ballads in the audio equivalent of the .jpeg format.

Johnny Cash, Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons and "Lemmy" Kilmister sound like they're crying.

Whoever's singing as Richard in Slaughter your World sounds like an illiterate trying to read.

Still Alive sounds like a lullaby.

All in all a regrettable experience.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

No.

At 1/4th speed electric guitars sound like steel rods being hammered through your head.

You hear all other instruments vibrate.

Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne sound like they're singing while their [cabbage]ting.

Regular Rock sounds like Rock ballads in the audio equivalent of the .jpeg format.

Johnny Cash, Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons and "Lemmy" Kilmister sound like they're crying.

Whoever's singing as Richard in Slaughter your World sounds like an illiterate trying to read.

Still Alive sounds like a lullaby.

All in all a regrettable experience.

15x8w1z.jpg

I think Archi is more used to primarily instrumental music.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

To get anything out of lower speeds, the music would have to be orchestra, slowing down ruins Rock, Brit-pop(No Milk Today), country (Ring of Fire), Indie Rock (Still Alive), Musical (Slaughter your World) and whatever the hell Eye of the Tiger and In the Army now are just ruins them, you might just as well make a synthesizer play randomly and smash your head into it.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I wholly reiterate.

Also Battlestar Galactica is baffling.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

So I tried drawing again today. I can still do landscapes decently, as they're not too hard, but hell, my people-drawing skills have atrophied. Even if they're just cartoon characters, they still look like crap incarnate. OH well, guess I just need to get into the groove of practicing again. D:

a70c7.png

What I do is that I start of by drawing models with ellipses symbolizing each of the mayor bone groups, then use that to draw the shape of the person, then use that again to make the final drawing which I take a photo off and slowly digitalize using Paint.NET. If I had only remembered to increase the resolution on the pictures then they could even have looked good.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Let me see...

Portal Song sounds slightly different, one is a rather energetic song, a good song by all accounts, the other is rather...Spacey. Song you can listen to while staring at the celing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12603519/Portal%20-%20Credits%20Song%20%27Still%20Alive%27.mp3

Eye of the Tiger sounds entirely different though. The actual song is one that really strongly energetic, really fighting music...while the slow version could easily have been the score of a Science Fiction Film, maybe set aboard some vast organic vessal...

It starts with a beating heart, sort of background music, there is a mild arrhythmia, maybe the ship knows there is something inside?

There is a build up, maybe a shot of a corridor, at the far end something is coming, something that turns into a wall of water, or blood.

As the band of explorers flee behind a door there is a momentary relief...Just the heart beating again. Then a bludge in the door, followed by another, and another...then just the heart again, then more bludges, deeper, larger than before...then heart again, the explorers run down the another corridor, behind them the door gives way and one of their number dies horrifically.

Then some extra buldge sounds, in case neccessary.

Then we move on to just before four minutes, atomspheric music, set quieter than before. Maybe the intro, the explorer's shuttle drifting towards the vast mass of the ship. Various discoveries, maybe giant spires that loom across the camera, maybe bodies, maybe the internal workings.

Then about 7 minutes, the alien language. Maybe still atomspheric music, the explorers hear the voice, unable to make sense of it.

14 minutes, the explorers reach some safe point, the heart beat stops, the alien speaks...The beat starts again, slower.

I can quite easily imagine the film in my mind...probably made in the 80s, back when everything was panoramic shots, as much as they could fit onto the camera.

And it doesn't matter how many times you listened to Eye of the Tiger before, you would not have associated it with a Sci-Fi film.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12603519/Eye%20of%20the%20tiger%20-Lyrics-.mp3

Ring of Fire is horrific if you slow it down =P

I am not saying that all songs always yield more when you slow them down...I am saying that some do (2 out of 3 randomly selected songs from your list convert as something listenable).

I would hasten to point out that our tastes in music are somewhat different, you clearly enjoy songs about struggling towards something dangerous/impossible (Basing that off Ring of Fire, Still Alive, Eye of the Tiger), where as I prefer instrumental, usually rather energetic or very slow...or the latter leading to the former:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_JeKZd9ecE

Anywho. In responce to Nex:

Yes, it does work far better with purely instrumental pieces.

Vocals sounds pretty terrible 90% of the time anyway, but when you slow them down it tends to corrupt 9.9999% more.

Vocals sounds pretty terrible 90% of the time anyway, but when you slow them down it tends to corrupt 9.9999% more.

Don't say that to Nex. :P

So I tried drawing again today. I can still do landscapes decently, as they're not too hard, but hell, my people-drawing skills have atrophied. Even if they're just cartoon characters, they still look like crap incarnate. OH well, guess I just need to get into the groove of practicing again. D:

I think I might try drawing, for the sole purpose of doing Gurren Lagann parody images for Drowtales and Puella Magi. I haven't visualized anything that well for a long time, and it's hilarious. :D

Retech, I'm in choir for the fun. Besides, choir music is made for the vocals, not to sell CDs or some such thing.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I think I might try drawing, for the sole purpose of doing Gurren Lagann parody images for Drowtales and Puella Magi. I haven't visualized anything that well for a long time, and it's hilarious. :D

DO EET

a70c7.png