WARNING: SwiftKit Domain Stolen (Now Resolved)

Mercifull

Edited in summary of what happened:

Hey guys just thought I'd let you know we made a post explaining what happened and what's going on right now:

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1556987-swiftkit-website-issue-explained/

One down side to SwiftKit being as popular and successful as it is, means that it has a giant target on it's back. Today we unfortunately experienced the effect of that., which is a shame really as we only exist to offer a free helpful tool to players...It really is unfortunate. As always though, we aim to be as transparent about the situation as possible.

At around 3am this morning it came to my attention that someone had gained access to the domain register's account that hosts SwiftKit.net. This allowed them to transfer the SwiftKit.net domain off our account and onto their own. Once they did this they were then able to change the webserver the domain points at, to their own malicious site. The problem was that it took around 5 hours for the domain to be rightfully returned back to us. So during this time the SwiftKit.net domain was pointing to a malicious website. We'll definitely be moving to a different domain registrar in the near future.

How was the intruder able to gain access to our domain account? By using a fake ID, or identity document to convince the domain hosting company to reset the e-mail address to their own. Then all they had to do was perform a simple password reset. We're very concerned that this could even happen in the first place, and that it took so long to re-gain control. We'll be looking forward to getting as far away as possible from this domain host.

So what does this mean for you as a user? Not too much, SwiftKit itself wasn't affected at all, just the domain. However If you were unfortunate enough to click accept or yes on any JAVA popups that came up I suggest do you a virus scan straight away and once clean change your password. You should never accept any JAVA requests from sources you don't trust. (It states the source in the popup)

We have seen this specific malware can be detected and removed by Microsoft Security Essentials. If you believe you have loaded SwiftKit in this small window and accepted any rogue Java confirmations, then it would be a good idea to run a full system scan.

SwiftKit itself has several layers of protection built into the updater to prevent anyone from being able to push out bogus updates. The only way you could be harmed is if you download or accept something yourself.

As it stands we now have full control of our domains and have taken temporarily steps to prevent such a situation from occurring again. DNS changes have been successfully apllied to many users and they should now be directed to the right, normal site. If you still are redirected incorrectly, try clearing your browser's history and cache, and also by going to Start > search for "cmd", and type in "ipconfig /flushdns". This will ensure the right DNS address is obtained from the server. In the coming future we will be looking to implement some permanent changes to further prevent such an occurrence, abandoning our current and frustrating registrar is one of them.

We understand our well-earned reputation has been tarnished by this horrible incident, and we understand many are wary using our products in the future. That trust is going to have to be earned back, and I know for some it will be difficult. I want to personally let everyone know the safety and security of all of our users are our #1 priority. The entire SwiftKit staff, including support from our users and Jagex moderators have hopefully showed everyone that we are serious about security.

If you have any hesitations or questions please don't hesitate to ask.

We're also going to be posting some specific ways of checking if you are indeed infected, and removal steps if you are. Gimmie a sec.

Edit: Detection and removal instructions:

1. Open Start

2. In search, type "regedit" and hit Enter

3. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows" using the folder dropdowns.

4. If there is a file or entry in the Windows folder called "Adobe Drivers", than you are infected and you require removal. If it doesn't exist, you are not infected.

Removal:

1. Right-click the taskbar and select "Start task manager"

2. In the Processes tab, end any process named "winsyl[Caution: Executable File]"

3. In the Registry Editor window you still should have open, right-click the "Adobe Drivers" folder and select Delete

4. Open Windows Explorer, enter in the URL %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\

5. Delete the folder "Drivers"

6. As a safety measure, run a full system scan using a reputable anti-virus such as MSE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The www.swiftkit.net website has been hacked. If you use the client beware in-case they have installed keyloggers into it.

Website screenshot

yHinf.png

Client warning

6WoRO.png

An update on the Zybez post by Marius (funman),

Update

We understand that after a while, a java drive by was introduced into the hijacked sites prompting users to run an unsigned java applet which would install malware on your system. If you received the prompt and accepted it, or would just like peace of mind, we recommend running your antivirus or using Microsoft Security Essentials which we found picked up this specific malware rather easily.

We are still working on resolving all issues, but will keep this post updated with information as we have it available.

Edited by MageUK
Added full summary of what happened, edited thread title to be more accurate.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1556961-the-current-state-of-swiftkitnet/

They say it's safe, but I'd still like to advise everyone to stay away from it for the time being, just in case.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

DO NOT USE SWIFTKIT

When I started swiftkit moments ago it updated itself, and upon launching the client tried to run an application, in the same way RuneScape asks this the first time, see below.

6WoRO.png

PRESS CANCEL

Hi,

We are aware of the issues (as can be seen by our post on Zybez), and are working to resolve it.

SwiftKit it self is safe to use, as our update servers are in no way compromised, but the patch notes are fetched from the swiftkit.net domain and can thus be edited.

The update you are referring to is a safe update, it's just the skdata file with the latest quests in it, unless the client issues a warning that it needs to restart it self after an update then the client it self has not been changed. We recommend you keep an eye on the forum post linked to for updates as we'll try to keep you all updated on the situation as it progresses.

-Marius

Hi,

We are aware of the issues (as can be seen by our post on Zybez), and are working to resolve it.

SwiftKit it self is safe to use, as our update servers are in no way compromised, but the patch notes are fetched from the swiftkit.net domain and can thus be edited.

The update you are referring to is a safe update, it's just the skdata file with the latest quests in it, unless the client issues a warning that it needs to restart it self after an update then the client it self has not been changed. We recommend you keep an eye on the forum post linked to for updates as we'll try to keep you all updated on the situation as it progresses.

-Marius

K swiftkit is not [bleep]ing safe to use. Ignore this imbecile above. I've had the passwords on all the accounts i've ever used on SK changed, so shut up.

One would presume from examining the above poster that he is a hacked account that had his tif password the same as his rs acc one

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Hi,

-Marius

K swiftkit is not [bleep]ing safe to use. Ignore this imbecile above. I've had the passwords on all the accounts i've ever used on SK changed, so shut up.

Because the opinion of some random person on a forum is trustworthy.

Trust him over you.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Hi,

-Marius

Trust him over you.

Have fun being hacked then

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Hi,

-Marius

Trust him over you.

It's still the wiser course to stay away from it for a few days until you can be sure the issue is resolved.

Hi,

-Marius

Trust him over you.

I don't use swiftkit to begin with. But, since you gave no reason to prefer your opinion over his, and there are far more likely reasons and explanations (The famous razor) to explain how your pass was changed (key logger, family member, you're lying, etc) than the logical stance to take is to prefer the initial poster. Few extra reasons. Post count doesn't really matter, when both of you have low counts. In fact, people make accounts on TIF just to post announcements, thus negating any reason not to prefer a low post counter. Now, if it was someone I trusted or knew, with quite a few more posts, that might have more grounds. As well, his post is reasonable and explanative, whereas yours is simply a rant. As such, the logical of the two views to make is the former. Again, I'm not making a claim that you are wrong necessarily, or that he is. I am simply stating, that without hard evidence by either side, I have to go by what can be logically constructed. If you dislike my logic, point out how I am wrong.

And Jon...WHY U MISS POINT? The interference that one SHOULD continue without any precautions with account security was never made. It was imagined by yourself. The whole point of the posts have been to show why an opinion is preferred over another.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Hi,

-Marius

Trust him over you.

I don't use swiftkit to begin with. But, since you gave no reason to prefer your opinion over his, and there are far more likely reasons and explanations (The famous razor) to explain how your pass was changed (key logger, family member, you're lying, etc) than the logical stance to take is to prefer the initial poster. Few extra reasons. Post count doesn't really matter, when both of you have low counts. In fact, people make accounts on TIF just to post announcements, thus negating any reason not to prefer a low post counter. Now, if it was someone I trusted or knew, with quite a few more posts, that might have more grounds. As well, his post is reasonable and explanative, whereas yours is simply a rant. As such, the logical of the two views to make is the former. Again, I'm not making a claim that you are wrong necessarily, or that he is. I am simply stating, that without hard evidence by either side, I have to go by what can be logically constructed. If you dislike my logic, point out how I am wrong.

And Joh...WHY U MISS POINT? The interference that one SHOULD continue without any precautions with account security was never made. It was imagined by yourself. The whole point of the posts have been to show why an opinion is preferred over another.

Please take this to PM and sort it there, the website has been hacked and the digital signature of the client has been changed so the worst should be assumed to keep your account safe.

Robbstarkded.png

Hi,

-Marius

Trust him over you.

And Joh...WHY U MISS POINT? The interference that one SHOULD continue without any precautions with account security was never made. It was imagined by yourself. The whole point of the posts have been to show why an opinion is preferred over another.

Please take this to PM and sort it there, the website has been hacked and the digital signature of the client has been changed so the worst should be assumed to keep your account safe.

I'll be honest. No. You have no grounds, nor authority to ask so either. No rules were broken. The discussion is germane.

Stonewall337.png

Until the creators have full control of everything again, I wouldn't call the application safe - regardless if the issue only arises if you accept the dodgey script. That's not good practice. But meh. I wish the best of luck to the app's creators in quickly regaining control. Whatever disagreements I might have with the stance being taken, it's a shitty situation that no one deserves to be in, and they deserve praise for tracking down any concerns posted on other fansites. After all, lots of people use it.

hzvjpwS.gif

Hi,

-Marius

Trust him over you.

I'll be honest. No. You have no grounds, nor authority to ask so either. No rules were broken. The discussion is germane.

I'm trying to make sure that you don't escalate this further on a forum, like you just did in the clan chat and provoked an argument. The only relation it has to the subject is your opinion on something you don't know about which isn't helping anyone when arguments are made. Agreeing with someone who could potentially have the wrong information could cause harm to other players account if they follow that advice.

Robbstarkded.png

Hi,

-Marius

Trust him over you.

I'm trying to make sure that you don't escalate this further on a forum, like you just did in the clan chat and provoked an argument. The only relation it has to the subject is your opinion on something you don't know about which isn't helping anyone when arguments are made. Agreeing with someone who could potentially have the wrong information could cause harm to other players account if they follow that advice.

You're wrong there, but I'll tell you why in PM. That discussion isn't germane.

Stonewall337.png

The www.swiftkit.net website has been hacked. If you use the client beware in-case they have installed keyloggers into it.

Website screenshot

yHinf.png

Client warning

6WoRO.png

Hmmmm... I didn't get the client warning when I ran SK this morning. I hope to god nothing happens to my account lol.

I use SK have done for years. all I care about is my screenshots!!! XD

Thievingcapesigcopy.png

Jeffery.png

180th to 99 Divination + 1st W36er

Rambo, cannot pk call your friends bro :). Wait nevermind none of SAPK/PKS can. Kappa.

I use SK have done for years. all I care about is my screenshots!!! XD

I've used Howies Quick Screen Grab for years http://www.howiesfunware.com/loadSideBarMiscSoftware.html

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Looks like this happened a couple hours ago tops? / Today?

Guess that makes it have no relation at all to me being hacked/recovered a few days ago then?

(not sure which answer I want to hear, seeing as how they will likely still hold the same end result.)

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]