Jagex acused me of real world trading What's going on?

Deathscythe

Today I checked my e-mail today found out that I have been acused of real world trading

read this and you will understand:

Dear player,

we have strong evidence that you may have attempted a transfer of accounts or traded RuneScape virtual items outside of the game environment.

Real-world trading is destroying RuneScape, violates your agreement with Jagex, and any player that continues to engage in the illegal activity has no place in our community.

All of your accounts, main and otherwise, are now on our watch list and will be monitored for real-world trading. Regardless of who you are or how long you've been with us, if you decide to real-world trade ever again we will have no hesitation in: (1) permanently removing your account from our wonderful community in order to protect Jagex's rights, and (2) naming you as a defendant in Jagex Limited v. John Does, which is a lawsuit based on antitrust law violations that is currently pending in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Civ. Action No. SACV11-00969-CJC).

If you ignore this email and instead continue real-world trading, we reserve our rights to pursue statutory damages against you for between $200 to $2,500 per act of past, present, and/or future real-world trading in accordance with 17 U.S.C. 1203©(3).

Additionally, your account has received infractions that will result in a temporary suspension if unchallenged.

Please click the following link to monitor your account's status or to appeal the infractions:

Link removed ~ Kimberly

Notice: Due to recent technical problems, some accounts may have been unfairly punished. The majority of void infractions have been removed. We urge you to visit the appeal section to appeal any unjustified infractions received due to system errors.

What's going on here has any gotten this e-mail too?

Edited by Kimberly
Sonic9.png

This is a phishing email trying to elicit information to recover your account or hack into it. Do not reply to it or click any of the links in it - ignore it and remember that Jagex will only ever contact you through the message centre in game regarding situations such as these.

• Like 7

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

+1 to the above post.

I get seven or eight of these a day either saying they're opening a law suit against me or my account is in danger of being banned for RWT, funny thing is this email isn't registered with any RS account.

I also get ones from 'Diablo' even though I've never played it nor know what it is.

• Like 1
ShadyAntics.png

Not seen that particular email text before. Interesting they bring up the John Doe courtcase (which is for botting and not real world trading) to try to get an air of authenticity.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Moved to Help and Advice.

As cheat said, this is a phishing email. Next time though, please don't give the actual direct phishing link when you're asking for advice @_@

Thanks I'll remember that that before I cick on something by the way Kimberly I wasn't asking for advice you moved the tread to the Help and Advice topic

Sonic9.png

"Dear Player" makes it a dead giveaway.

If it were to be a real email from Jagex, it would have used your display name.

Not necessarily. Plus it's not difficult for a phisher to also have access to usernames to mailmerge as well.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Moved to Help and Advice.

As cheat said, this is a phishing email. Next time though, please don't give the actual direct phishing link when you're asking for advice @_@

Thanks I'll remember that that before I cick on something by the way Kimberly I wasn't asking for advice you moved the tread to the Help and Advice topic

You were asking a Runescape-related question. That belongs in Help & Advice. :)

hzvjpwS.gif

You can check the actual destination of the URL by hovering over it (browser should display it somewhere in a corner) or just right-click and pick copy link location to see where it leads.

If the first part of the url is not exactly http://www.runescape.com/ (or https://), they're trying to dupe you. No runescape.com.cn, no jagex.nl, no runescape-ws.com, http://www.runescape.com/.

It it also highly advisable that you do not visit the link out of curiosity and only use the inspection methods above.

Lastly, chances are the only e-mails Jagex will ever send you are about Loyalty points or microtransactions.

I've also been receiving these emails. They're phishing scams. The part where it says, "The majority of these cases can be appealed if you click on this totally not suspicious-looking URL" or something like that kinda gave it away really.

In addition to not clicking on any links in a Runescape e-mail (you should always be able to navigate there from the Runescape home page anyway), it's helpful for Jagex if you forward phishing e-mails like these to the address they have set up for it: [email protected]. (And feel free to take a gander at the Runescape Wiki Page set up for exactly this.)

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

It's a phising email that has been going around, as I have gotten an almost identical email (calling me a customer instead of a player, on all other aspects its word for word identical) a week or two ago. To add to Sorator's statement about sending it off to [email protected] they prefer if you supply them with the full email header when you forward to them (instructions are in the linked runescape wiki page)

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

My account has been "banned" for various reasons about 5 times, according to these emails. It unsettled me a little the first time I got one until I found I could log into my RS account perfectly fine. I think nearly all of the ones that people have been receiving have a common source.

I could smell the phish from a mile away, but it's still not a nice feeling when someone threatens the continued existence of the account you've had since childhood.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

You know what they say, "There's a sucker born every minute." Thankfully they only post this thread once every day or two. We REALLY need to make a sticky for all the scam email questions.

So long, and thanks for all the phish!

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

you didnt buy enough spins on the SOF.

Nah just kidding. but its allways kinda funny to see the pathetic attempts to phish your account, when 90% of them can be debunked jsut by logging in to your account settings from the main page.

• Like 1

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

I wonder how they link my email to runescape though. - I do only get them at my email I used to register for runescape. So is jagex selling those email adresses?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I wonder how they link my email to runescape though. - I do only get them at my email I used to register for runescape. So is jagex selling those email adresses?

Would the email in question be the same email you used to register here or at another runescape fansite? Pretty much every major Runescape fansite has had their user databases compromised at some point in time, so really the only way to not have them sending the phishing emails to your registered runescape address is if the email in question has no direct connection to your runescape account besides being your recovery email

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Scam email. Everyone knows Jagex supports RWT.

They support microtransactions, not RWT.

RWT is the act of illegally selling Jagex's intellectual property.

In this case, Jagex owns the copyright to anything in the game, so they are legally allowed to sell it for real money.

However, players do not, so if you sell in-game items for real money, you're illegally making money off Jagex's intellectual property, which is why it's not allowed.

• 2 months later...

I got phished by this, first time i've been phished in my 5-6 years playing. Luckily I activated the account guardian when it was first released (I strongly recommend this as it saved my account just make a note of the answers!) They did however manage to change my password so i just changed it to a new password instantly. I feel like a complete idiot falling for this but it's made me more aware. (Always check the URL to make sure it's got the green logo showing it's an official, trusted site!)

Locked as this has been answered, not to mention this topic is over 2 months old. Please try to avoid bumping old topics in H&A, especially if they have been answered.

Welcome to Tip.It however. :)

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid