Hallowe'en Treat: Scary Bonus XP Weekend!

Matt258

Collecting crims at CT wfs, every hour of using charms is at least 20 hours of collecting them. For normal skills BXP might save people tens of hours, but for summoning, that's hundreds, possibly even over a thousand hours of charm collecting saved (48 hours using charms, when each hour of using charms is worth about 25 hours collecting).

It's one of the most game breaking decisions they've made since RWTscape, and is quite scary when you consider how little Jagex actually know about their game for them to have made this kind of decision. Or, how little they care.

I didn't even concider that. That is amazing, having just been collecting crimsons and blues from bosses, I have unintentionally banked summ 98+500k from 99. That's gonna be nice, seems like I will parttake in BXW anyway. Sweet

purekilljoy.png

It's one of the most game breaking decisions they've made since RWTscape, and is quite scary when you consider how little Jagex actually know about their game for them to have made this kind of decision. Or, how little they care.

How? A lot more people get xp? People always through around buzzphraises like game breaking and don't even say how this will break the game.

How? A lot more people get xp? People always through around buzzphrases like game breaking and don't even say how this will break the game.

This.

I'm not sure how saving people "hundreds, possibly even over a thousand hours of charm collecting" is anything but a good thing, especially for a skill that barely pays off until the upper levels.

FAQ are out in the Future Updates section of the RSOF. Kinda strange that summoning is doubled but bones on a gilded alter/ecto are not.

Link please? I cannot access RuneScape from here, but if you post a link, I can toss into an IP thingy and access the specific page ...

Thanks.

nyuseg.png

Link please? I cannot access RuneScape from here, but if you post a link, I can toss into an IP thingy and access the specific page ...

Ask and ye shall receive. [qfc]16-17-647-64045573[/qfc]

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

How? A lot more people get xp? People always through around buzzphraises like game breaking and don't even say how this will break the game.

Not sure if serious. I'll break it down.

1. Actually training summoning is only a small part of the skill, most of it is collecting charms.

2. By allowing you a 2x modifier on summoning xp, you obviously need to collect only half of the charms.

3. Since you can produce approximately 10k pouches an hour, that means that every hour of bxp used on summoning saves you 10k charms.

4. 10k crimsons would take at least 30 hours to collect.

5. Training sum with crims on bxp represents an approximate 30-fold increase in overall xp rate.

Whilst the xp rate of using charms is only doubled, the xp rate of summoning overall is ~ 30x faster. it should be obvious how it is game breaking now.

Put it this way: over 5k people got 99 summoning on the first bxp where it wasnt capped to 1.1x. That was when you had the degrading modifier too.

One player has these charms.

ss20121017at042953.png

Which would only take about 24 hours to use. That's about 100 million summoning xp, which will be doubled to 200m.

If a 3000% increase in xp rate isn't game breaking to you, then I don't really know what will be.

• Like 3

Asmodean <3

If a 3000% increase in xp rate isn't game breaking to you, then I don't really know what will be.

Why is it a bad thing, though? Because one person has enough charms to join the 200m club, the whole thing should be scrapped? Summoning is among the least accessible skills in the game for all of the reasons that you just described - it's a skill that asks for a lot of time and money for a handful of useful familiars.

• Like 2

Why is it a bad thing, though? Because one person has enough charms to join the 200m club, the whole thing should be scrapped? Summoning is among the least accessible skills in the game for all of the reasons that you just described - it's a skill that asks for a lot of time and money for a handful of useful familiars.

It's not just 200m though. Whether it's people getting 88 sum for uni or whatever, anyone who trains summoning on this weekend will benefit massively.

Also, summoning is one of the most useful skills, so I don't see why you're saying there's only a handful of useful familiars. Slaying with steel titans, mining with lava titans, fishing with granite lobsters, woodcutting with beavers, healing with unicorns and bunyips, infinite run + limited storage from terrorbirds, storage from yaks and tortoises, storage + banking from yaks...

Summoning is one of the most useful skills. The reason it is expensive is because there is a very significant demand for tertiaries, due to just how useful of a skill it is.

E: and no matter how much people might think the grind in RS needs reducing, a factor of 30 increase in xp rates is not the answer I'm sure...

Asmodean <3

It's a factor of 2x xp rates. Normal summoning is already fast xp once you have the charms and supplies. This is 2x xp. NOT 30x. You're making too big a deal of this.

Your completely missing the fact that by decreasing the number of charms needed by half, your factor of 2x, you are massively reducing the time needed to get any summoning level as all the time invested into summoning is the act of gathering the charms.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

And if the bxpw was announced months in advance and it was made known that summoning would be 2x the whole time, then I could see this being a bigger deal.

Being as is, announced a couple weeks ahead, with NOBODY planning or banking on it being 2x summoning, it's not "game breaking".

• Like 1

nautica.png

nautica.png

How many people do you know that use their charms as they get them? Everyone banks all of their charms for the next big goal, 69,79,88,92, etc.... The majority of players have a stock of charms in the bank. Getting double xp on any of that means that they don't need to collect more charms to get further then they would have. And you can be sure there are thousands of people like me, 95 summoning that found out its 2x xp going hey, I can get 5500 crimson charms in two weeks to half the number I need to get 99. Its going to take me 30 hours of actively hunting for charms to get that, that's 30 hours saved, tell me that's not a small amount?

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Isn't that the whole point of bxpw? You get it done twice as fast.

As you said, you and many other players spent all this time collecting large stocks of charms to get said level. That is time already spent. Yes, now it will take you further than originally anticipated. Yes, you now have a couple weeks to spend getting supplies. You have to get half the amount of supplies for said level. Isn't this a good thing?

I don't see how people getting higher summoning levels than planned is game breaking. If they wanted it they would eventually get it anyway.

nautica.png

nautica.png

Not sure if serious. I'll break it down.

1. Actually training summoning is only a small part of the skill, most of it is collecting charms.

2. By allowing you a 2x modifier on summoning xp, you obviously need to collect only half of the charms.

3. Since you can produce approximately 10k pouches an hour, that means that every hour of bxp used on summoning saves you 10k charms.

4. 10k crimsons would take at least 30 hours to collect.

5. Training sum with crims on bxp represents an approximate 30-fold increase in overall xp rate.

Whilst the xp rate of using charms is only doubled, the xp rate of summoning overall is ~ 30x faster. it should be obvious how it is game breaking now.

Put it this way: over 5k people got 99 summoning on the first bxp where it wasnt capped to 1.1x. That was when you had the degrading modifier too.

One player has these charms.

ss20121017at042953.png

Which would only take about 24 hours to use. That's about 100 million summoning xp, which will be doubled to 200m.

I'm dead freaking serious, no need to insult me. And my response is: so what? Give everyone 99 summoning, I don't give a crap. Won't affect me in any way. If anything I'm glad the grind is reduced. Someone said 20 hours for 1 hour of actual summoning training? That's freaking preposterous.

I got my summoning the hard way, didn't even do it on bxp weekends. I don't care if someone even goes from 1-99 this weekend, or 50k people go from 88 to 99, or 20 people get 200m xp. This isn't going to affect me the slightest.

And since when did ranks on highscore affect actual gameplay? How is this game breaking other that reducing time and changing up the high scores? Stop obsessing over freaking ranks. And if you suddenly think this invalidates summoning, cry some more.

Perhaps you are just upset you can't get 200m summoning this weekend. Also I wonder, how is this going to affect you? And don't say "It affects me in the long run" because I'm not accepting that tired crap. Judging by your xp gains and your specific stats this won't hit you the slightest.

• Like 2

How do people get 10k pouches done per hour?

By taking noted secondaries and the charms to the summoning shop. They sell like 50 secondaries to the shop, buy back unnoted, infuse the pouches, sell the pouches to the shop, buy more secondaries, and repeat. This is an expensive way to train, but incredibly fast.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

It's bad because it treats skills unfairly. Summoning gets 30x overall rate, while prayer gets less than 1x overall rate. If it were fair between skills that'd be a bit different.

It is also bad because the game *is* partially a competition, even if you don't actively participate in it, and you end up drastically altering the amount of work required for the lucky people who are prepared. I don't like providing that much of a drastic opportunity that is easy to miss out on.

It doesn't destroy the game, and we'll get over it. But it isn't necessarily the best design.

Edited by Stev
Removed quote

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

You have to count charm gathering as part of the Summoning skill, not just infusing pouches. If the guy spent the last year getting 200k charms because he wants a high rank, then how is it bad that he all of a sudden has this opportunity to cash in? He still put in the work and time required to get all those charms. It's not a 30x multiplyer.

nautica.png

nautica.png

You have to count charm gathering as part of the Summoning skill, not just infusing pouches. If the guy spent the last year getting 200k charms because he wants a high rank, then how is it bad that he all of a sudden has this opportunity to cash in? He still put in the work and time required to get all those charms. It's not a 30x multiplyer.

That one guy is pretty much irrelevant, he was just an example of the extremes. Anyone who trains summoning this bxp - myself included - is getting a significant bonus far above what they get from any other skills.

if you can't see where the 30x modifier comes from, let me put it this way:

Lets say you use 10k crims on BXP. Those 10k crims took at least 30 hours to obtain, and that's being extremely generous with charm collection rates. But because it's double xp, you get the same summoning xp as if you'd used 20k crimsons. So lets examine the bonus xp: you get double. That means you got the xp from an extra 10k crims, without gathering those charms. The problem is that with a normal skill, the time spent gathering supplies is negligible, so the overall xp/hr rate only doubles with bxp.

However with summoning, that one hour of using charms is also equivalent to >30 hours of gathering charms. The only instance where the multiplier is 2x is if you had an infinite number of charms or if charm collection takes 0 time. But you obviously don't, and it doesn't.

One hour of using charms on BXP doesn't just save you that extra hour of using charms: it saves you the 30+ hours you would have spent gathering those extra charms too.

I personally have a decent number of charms, and I plan on using them. I'm not one to throw away an advantage because it has a negative impact on the game. That doesn't mean I can't see that it does has a negative impact on the game. At the end of the day, Runescape is about having fun. But a lot of that sense of fun comes from spending time achieving a goal. I understand that xp rates need to increase slightly over time, but a 30x + increase - which this is - feels more like I'm playing a server than the real game.

Edit: The bolded part in your post is my point basically. Using charms on BXP saves you the time you would have spent gathering charms too.

Asmodean <3

It's not just 200m though. Whether it's people getting 88 sum for uni or whatever, anyone who trains summoning on this weekend will benefit massively.

Also, summoning is one of the most useful skills, so I don't see why you're saying there's only a handful of useful familiars. Slaying with steel titans, mining with lava titans, fishing with granite lobsters, woodcutting with beavers, healing with unicorns and bunyips, infinite run + limited storage from terrorbirds, storage from yaks and tortoises, storage + banking from yaks...

Summoning is one of the most useful skills. The reason it is expensive is because there is a very significant demand for tertiaries, due to just how useful of a skill it is.

E: and no matter how much people might think the grind in RS needs reducing, a factor of 30 increase in xp rates is not the answer I'm sure...

That's just the point though. I just can't see where there's a problem with this. Charm gathering is the skill's big weakness - you can't train summoning for an hour without spending (According to your math) 30+ hours on combat. It's a useful skill, yes (Almost game-breakingly so), but most of your training is going toward those few useful milestones (52, 57, 67, 68, 74, 79, 83, 88, and so on). It's worse than herblore when it comes to being rewarding before you've invested several million into it, and herblore doesn't require you to farm thousands of semi-common monster drops and buy hundreds of thousands of a fixed-price consumable item.

And this is without touching the math behind your points. I'm far from skilled in that area, but I'm not sure about those numbers.