Hallowe'en Treat: Scary Bonus XP Weekend!

Matt258

48 hours without sleep has been done plenty of times before by people trying to break records on runetracker etc. I think Drumgun probably did far, far more than that during his summoning week.

Asmodean <3

The maximum time frame for a human staying awake without any sleep is roughly 70 hours. Beyond that you start to take microsleeps, which are exceptionally dangerous because they come without warning and you might not even be aware of them.

You ability to self evaluate your own mental condition becomes worse the longer you've been awake, and is easily influenced by chemicals (and by extension, state of mind). Even a Eugeroic which would be able to make you feel well rested for a couple of days strait becomes a problem, because even though you mind is just fine, your brain (and your body) are still physically tired, and even though you might not be able to feel it, a physically tired brain is simply not capable of matching the performance of its well rested self (that said, a Eugeroic certainly does massively enhance performance in the face of sleep deprivation. It's more of a problem for things like driving I think).

I wasn't saying you can't play RuneScape for 48 hours strait. That's perfectly reasonable. What I meant was you would probably get more done by the end of the weekend if you sleep for a few hours at some point, because by day two your reaction time and ability to concentrate are going to be diminished, which means you wont be working as fast as you can.

I know someone who was awake for a week with no negative effects. He's fine. Though I should note he rarely sleeps, nor does he need to. I myself was awake once for 40 hours (to see how long I could stay awake), I didn't feel much different from my normal state. Rest for 6-8 hours and I'm back to my normal self :P Anecdotes, but take from that what you will. ^_^

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

I just can't believe that people are so mad about this, or making ethical claims about Jagex. Plenty other games have done this, Halo and Modern Warfare offer 2x xp weekends all the time. The degrading xp is something unique to Jagex, and we all know Jagex has been moving away from being unique. It's not ethically wrong for Jagex to do this, we as a culture are too eager to blame Jagex. It's our responsibility to take advantage of the offers they offer us, but do so in a reasonable way. People are given incentives as is to play the game as much as possible to be better than others, and that's not unethical. Take responsibility.

Birdd-1.png

[spoiler=Levels]Birdd.png

I know a professor that only sleeps 4-5 hours a night and he's fine. Well, fine apart from being a kind of condescending prick. Sleep deprived or not I'm not letting him off the hook on that one.

I think going from incremented bonuses to a full 2x bonus is a downgrade in a way. If they really wanted to be nice they would start off with like 4x bonus, and then slowly go down to 1.1x bonus. So you would get all the benefits without having to play insane hours.

• Like 1

2480+ total

I'm not annoyed about Jagex introducing this in any way. I'm annoyed at Jagex for telling people to not prepare for this, then suddenly announce it right before it's about to happen.

Just messes up a lot of prices. A lot more so than if they hadn't told people to not stock up for something like this.

• Like 1

I'm not annoyed about Jagex introducing this in any way. I'm annoyed at Jagex for telling people to not prepare for this, then suddenly announce it right before it's about to happen.

Just messes up a lot of prices. A lot more so than if they hadn't told people to not stock up for something like this.

Wouldn't matter if they had told you it was coming 6 months ago or now. Prices would still be [bleep]ed, just at different points in time. So just cop it on the chin for what it is.

A [bleep]ing game.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

I'm in complete disagreement. Considering we see a lot of panic selling/buying during new releases the short term notice effects aren't nearly as bad as the long term notice effects. In the long term players are forced to pay extortionist prices during the hike. Even in the lull players will pay mich more because they aren't patient enough to wait out for the stability afterwards. Lets not forget people are well aware of the time + monetary value/experience. The short term is just panic buys and sells really and very little lull or wait. Once the opportunity to take extra advantage of those resources passes thing go back to normal.

The effects are similar to a draught, but with two different types of events effecting it. Would a draught that lasts a week be more detrimental to the market and consumets than one that lasted six weeks? That's what the community faces. They want to play the game without extortionist prices being hiked up by the community. With those prices players would feel the constricting forces of the market forcing them to gather for themselves or do something else. You could probably suffer and do agility or something up until the bxpw or after for a week, but generally all of the nonbuyables would drive you crazy. Now imagine having to go through those thought processes and decisions over a six week period.

• Like 1

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I just can't believe that people are so mad about this, or making ethical claims about Jagex. Plenty other games have done this, Halo and Modern Warfare offer 2x xp weekends all the time. The degrading xp is something unique to Jagex, and we all know Jagex has been moving away from being unique. It's not ethically wrong for Jagex to do this, we as a culture are too eager to blame Jagex. It's our responsibility to take advantage of the offers they offer us, but do so in a reasonable way. People are given incentives as is to play the game as much as possible to be better than others, and that's not unethical. Take responsibility.

I don't believe people rage at them doing the exp weekend. That's all fine.

It's more about them clearly stating that there wouldn't be any more of these, and then doing it. People relied on them with their investments etc, and now they find out they've been lied to once again by Jagex.

I personally wouldn't have used all my charms a few weeks ago if they hadn't stated that there would be no more bonus exp weekends.

I don't see it as ethically wrong, but that doesn't stop it from being a poor decision from a game design standpoint. There's nothing wrong with bonus xp events, Hati and Skoll were examples of excellently planned ones. They should have made more events in that style instead.

Bonus XP weekends limit gameplay for people during the time between the announcement and the actual weekend. For the runup period, I am severely discouraged financially from training the 8 "artisan" skills, the ones that turn resources into finished products, a big part of the game. While the bonus lasts, I am discouraged from doing anything else while I am logged in but train skills, with particular emphasis on ones I don't like. Restricting access to such a major part of the game, only accessible by coughing up a lot of gp, doesn't make it a better game.

• Like 2

~ W ~

sigzi.png

If they told us months ago prices would be even worse. It balances out eventually.

The effects are similar to a draught, but with two different types of events effecting it. Would a draught that lasts a week be more detrimental to the market and consumets than one that lasted six weeks? That's what the community faces. They want to play the game without extortionist prices being hiked up by the community. With those prices players would feel the constricting forces of the market forcing them to gather for themselves or do something else. You could probably suffer and do agility or something up until the bxpw or after for a week, but generally all of the nonbuyables would drive you crazy. Now imagine having to go through those thought processes and decisions over a six week period.

I'm not talking six weeks, I'm talking six months.

If they told us months ago prices would be even worse. It balances out eventually.

Would they? I don't see how. Having prices be a complete mess for two months because of panic buying and selling seems worse than giving people half a year to slowly gather what they want to use during the weekend. Be that through buying or gathering. Please explain how it would be worse.

overall, having it rigged in such a way where the only reasonable pace to train at (and by reasonable, i mean, faster than what jagex probably intended ever since they made the levels necessary) is the means to acquire large amounts of commodities makes it largely difficult for a player to accomplish these things without the bloated trade system we've already set up, making that system necessary to growth even though it is also affecting everything else perhaps not entirely positively

• Like 1

8f14270694.jpg

I'm not talking six weeks, I'm talking six months.

Would they? I don't see how. Having prices be a complete mess for two months because of panic buying and selling seems worse than giving people half a year to slowly gather what they want to use during the weekend. Be that through buying or gathering. Please explain how it would be worse.

Regardless the point is that it's predictable to a point. When players knew it was coming every six months it was the last 1-2 months that killed the market. Training during that time was horrendous. The actual market beforehand wasn't so bad because not every player was sucked into hoarding their materials. When you are a young person your sense of what something is worth only extends so far so most used their materials before the event was ever announced.

Now to another point. The fact that they renigged on their word isn't so bad. Personally had I been the one deciding on the event I would have done the same, but gave people a week max in notice. And from then on out all bxpw events would be random and none of this September and march bs would e allowed. Again, personally I would probably make events during the year that win you allotted hours you can use on bxpw when they come... Maybe 3 hour allotments?

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I dislike that they actively said not to prep for another, then changed their mind. Would've been fine if they said they were reconsidering the whole idea and then had another bxpw anyway, but actively saying not to prep for it bothers me. Yes, they're trying to prevent people from hoarding materials to resell at ridonkulous prices, which is nice - this is why I'm fine with them announcing it merely a week beforehand (I like that, actually) - but don't get into making white lies to accomplish your goals. It's just not a good place to be, either as a person or as a company.

• Like 1

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

I dislike that they actively said not to prep for another, then changed their mind. Would've been fine if they said they were reconsidering the whole idea and then had another bxpw anyway, but actively saying not to prep for it bothers me. Yes, they're trying to prevent people from hoarding materials to resell at ridonkulous prices, which is nice - this is why I'm fine with them announcing it merely a week beforehand (I like that, actually) - but don't get into making white lies to accomplish your goals. It's just not a good place to be, either as a person or as a company.

Think of this scenario(s):

Base thesis: Jagex is not sure if there will be more BXPW's

1) Jagex says not to buy supplies for BXPW; Yet they release a BXPW = Players Rage

2) Jagex say that you can do whatever you want; Then they don't release a BXPW = Players rage even more

Conclusion: Option 1 (what Jagex did) is way better than option two.

What Jagex did is what every normal person would do.

Or would you tell your friends to buy hundreds of liters of beer even though you're not sure if you are holding a party?

• Like 2

Well the right way to do it would be to say that they're not doing the next bonus XP weekend but might do something similar in the future..rather then just saying they're never doing it again.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

As a semi active member of the communit and RS player for more than 10 years all of the whining is what bothers me most about the community and it keeps getting worse and worse every year.

What really disgusts me is that people get so worked up about something so meaningless as a 2 day BXW. Don't get me wrong, this is not the problem of RS community exclusevly, this is a problem in the society as a whole. We are living such a good life, that we make up pseudo problems and whine on them endlessly and it accomplishes [bleep]-all.

The following text is not aimed at anyone specifically, so don't feel offended

IF you get so worked up for a 48h period of time, which in the grand scheme of things is a lot less meaningful then taking a piss. What are you gonna do when an actual problem comes your way? - Loss of a loved one, war, hunger, poverty? I weep for you, I really do, because some of these are problems you will face and I feel sorry for you, because you do not know how to handle them. We are all so self-important, everyone thinks they are meaningful and they matter. - No you don't mean [bleep] all.

Just the fact that you get to have internet connection and be able to play the game is a HUGE PRIVILEGE, more than 60% of the world's population has no possibility to get online!!!(http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm) I'm not even getting into Africa or the Far East where you could die any day by war, hunger, dehydration or a number of other things.

If you are a member in the RS Community then being alive in this era with the possibilities you have is a huge privilege, so be grateful for that.

If you still think the 48h BXW is a big problem, regardless what jagex promised or did not promise..........then [bleep] you and your petty little problems!!!

• Like 1

purekilljoy.png

As a semi active member of the communit and RS player for more than 10 years all of the whining is what bothers me most about the community and it keeps getting worse and worse every year.

What really disgusts me is that people get so worked up about something so meaningless as a 2 day BXW. Don't get me wrong, this is not the problem of RS community exclusevly, this is a problem in the society as a whole. We are living such a good life, that we make up pseudo problems and whine on them endlessly and it accomplishes [bleep]-all.

IF you get so worked up for a 48h period of time, which in the grand scheme of things is a lot less meaningful then taking a piss. What are you gonna do when an actual problem comes your way? - Loss of a loved one, war, hunger, poverty? I weep for you, I really do, because some of these are problems you will face and I feel sorry for you, because you do not know how to handle them. We are all so self-important, everyone thinks they are meaningful and they matter. - No you don't mean [bleep] all.

Just the fact that you get to have internet connection and be able to play the game is a HUGE PRIVILEGE, more than 60% of the world's population has no possibility to get online!!!(http://www.internetw...s.com/stats.htm) I'm not even getting into Africa or the Far East where you could die any day by war, hunger, dehydration or a number of other things.

If you are a member in the RS Community then being alive in this era with the possibilities you have is a huge privilege, so be grateful for that.

If you still think the 48h BXW is a big problem, regardless what jagex promised or did not promise..........then [bleep] you and your petty little problems!!!

Yeppers, you gotta love the whole "first world problems" thing, dontcha?

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Just the fact that you get to have internet connection and be able to play the game is a HUGE PRIVILEGE, more than 60% of the world's population has no possibility to get online!!!(http://www.internetw...s.com/stats.htm) I'm not even getting into Africa or the Far East where you could die any day by war, hunger, dehydration or a number of other things.

With the greatest respect, none of this has any relevance to the matter at hand. You could say "It doesn't matter within the context of the game because there's bigger issues in RuneScape itself", but saying "It doesn't matter because an African kid somewhere is starving to death" has no logical connection to what we're discussing.

Perhaps what you tried to say was "If you don't like it, it'd be more productive finding something else you do like." Apart from that I'm really confused about the point your post was trying to make. There's always someone worse off than you, that much is true*, but that doesn't disenfranchise you from being allowed to dislike something.

* = That said, I'm studying full-time on low income so I'm not in a great position myself, relative to the society I live in. Poverty is relative--if you don't understand what that means then you shouldn't really be commenting on it at all.

@Barney, sure we are blessed but that doesn't mean we should allow things we consider wrong to just go by unnoticed. Otherwise we can extend that false logic to anything.

"Oh, the president has been stealing money from the taxpayers for years? Well, lets not make a big deal out of it, we are still so much better off than in other countries where they're dropping cluster bombs on people."