Hallowe'en Treat: Scary Bonus XP Weekend!

Matt258

The point is that although by training Summoning it only effectively doubles the experience rate, it effectively gives you more time under bonus experience since the bonus weekend is time, rather than experience, limited.

By Summoning during the bonus experience weekend you effectively get 25 hours worth of bonus experience for 1 hour of your bonus weekend time. Any other skill you only get 1 hour worth of bonus experience.

This, along with having players in different time-zones, is why having an experience-limited item is much better than a bonus experience weekend.

If you spend 100 hours gathering 20k charms and earn 500 xp each at the rate of 10k charms used per hour, how much xp have you gained? 10,000,000 at a rate of ~98k xp/hour.

If you spend 100 hours gathering 20k charms and earn 1,000 xp each at the rate of 10k charms used per hour, how much xp have you gained? 20,000,000 at a rate of ~196k xp/hour.

That's been pointed out more times than I can remember. The point which was trying to be made was that by doing summoning on this weekend instead of other skills, you save more time than other skills.

Let me try explaining it as it still doesn't seem to have been understood fully. I save up 20k charms and use them on this weekend. Using 5k an hour I can use them up in 4 hours and save a ton of time collecting the charms from the "Doubled" experience.

The difference between summoning and money using herblore as an example here, is that money is tradable. I don't have to camp a monster for 100 hours to get 4 hours worth of training (assuming 200 charms per hour) if doing herblore. I could be a rich gambling host or clan leader making over 100M an hour. I could get a ton of cash within a few hours at the Duel Arena. Gaining a large amount of cash fast is much easier than gaining a lot of charms fast.

That is one of the arguments against doubled summoning exp.

How is the fact that a tiny percentage of players can make 100m+/h while 0% of players can make 3k+ charms per hour a meaningful difference? Imo, summoning is in more or less actually in the same boat as herblore to the vast majority of players. Prayer if 2x exp stacks with altars/ecto, which Jagex never really made clear...

The point is that although by training Summoning it only effectively doubles the experience rate, it effectively gives you more time under bonus experience since the bonus weekend is time, rather than experience, limited.

By Summoning during the bonus experience weekend you effectively get 25 hours worth of bonus experience for 1 hour of your bonus weekend time. Any other skill you only get 1 hour worth of bonus experience.

This, along with having players in different time-zones, is why having an experience-limited item is much better than a bonus experience weekend.

You DO realize that can apply, to a greater or lesser extent, to half the skills in the game? Herblore being a noteable example, prayer if 2x exp stacks with gilded altar/ecto, smithing, crafting, for example, are all expensive skills that are fast to level providing you actually have the supplies.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

You DO realize that can apply, to a greater or lesser extent, to half the skills in the game? Herblore being a noteable example, prayer if 2x exp stacks with gilded altar/ecto, smithing, crafting, for example, are all expensive skills that are fast to level providing you actually have the supplies.

Only if you count making money in the equation (Which ends up saving ~2 hours per 1 hour of bonus experience training). But even then it is still unbalanced towards Summoning as it is a money sink too (All the buyable skills, including Summoning, are 5-10 gp/xp). So yes, by doing a buyable you save more time than doing non-buyables, but Summoning still saves an additional order of magnitude more time than any other skill, which is why it is unbalanced.

Whether or not you are a dice-host earning mega-millions, or a flax picker, the absolute maximum rate of charms you can get per hour is X. That is the prestige of summoning, that no matter your wealth, having high summoning means you spent time as well as money.

Working on the 5000 charms/hour used, and 200/hour collected, you can use up to 240,000 charms in the weekend. This equates to 1200 hours of non-buyable time. Therein lies the problem. In the terms of a regular non-buyable, it's the equivalent of double XP for 50 days, rather than 2 days. Also note that it's the equivalent of 50 days in game time, not 50 days fighting sleep deprivation. Working on an 8 hour/day play time, this gives 5 months of double XP, in terms of a non-buyable. But regular non-buyables get 2 sleep-deprived days. The strange mechanic of summoning blurs the line between buyable and non-buyable, and leads to this imbalance.

I don't know how anyone can fail to see this as unbalanced, bar those playing the devil's advocate. I ask those of you who don't though, would you agree with allowing people to get double xp for zeal on this weekend? There is startlingly little difference between the two scenarios, yet it's something Jagex didn't even do on the first ever bonus xp weekend.

• Like 1

LgEZt.png

If you spend 100 hours gathering 20k charms and earn 500 xp each at the rate of 10k charms used per hour, how much xp have you gained? 10,000,000 at a rate of ~98k xp/hour.

If you spend 100 hours gathering 20k charms and earn 1,000 xp each at the rate of 10k charms used per hour, how much xp have you gained? 20,000,000 at a rate of ~196k xp/hour.

That's been pointed out more times than I can remember. The point which was trying to be made was that by doing summoning on this weekend instead of other skills, you save more time than other skills.

Let me try explaining it as it still doesn't seem to have been understood fully. I save up 20k charms and use them on this weekend. Using 5k an hour I can use them up in 4 hours and save a ton of time collecting the charms from the "Doubled" experience.

The difference between summoning and money using herblore as an example here, is that money is tradable. I don't have to camp a monster for 100 hours to get 4 hours worth of training (assuming 200 charms per hour) if doing herblore. I could be a rich gambling host or clan leader making over 100M an hour. I could get a ton of cash within a few hours at the Duel Arena. Gaining a large amount of cash fast is much easier than gaining a lot of charms fast.

That is one of the arguments against doubled summoning exp.

How is the fact that a tiny percentage of players can make 100m+/h while 0% of players can make 3k+ charms per hour a meaningful difference? Imo, summoning is in more or less actually in the same boat as herblore to the vast majority of players. Prayer if 2x exp stacks with altars/ecto, which Jagex never really made clear...

Even if you count in a gain of 2m per hour so you can pay off herblore supplies, you also have to do this for summoning. Shards and seconds aren't free. I'll give it a last shot before I give up.

If I spend 4 hours and use 20k charms, I save 20k charms as well as the time I would've needed to gather them. Lets say using those charms costs 200m in supplies and shards. That's 100 hours saved for charm collecting and 100 hours saved making the 200m needed.

If I spend 4 hours doing herblore on the weekend, I would use like 30-50m in supplies as long as we're not working with torstols. That's 25 hours of having to gain money saved and 4 hours of doing herblore saved.

So per hour doing summoning you save more time than herblore.

If I used 4 hours training summoning than switch over to herblore, I would save more time than someone who only trained herblore the entire weekend.

I agree the xp yeild for infusing pouches is fast xp/hr. That's why they nerfed it to 1.2x xp after the first weekend. I'm not exactly sure why they are reverting back to the old way, and in fact making it "worse" because it's a 2x xp constant.

That said, I still don't see this as game breaking. As with every bxpw, there is going to be more people levelling than normal. Never has been that bad. This won't be that bad.

nautica.png

nautica.png

Outfits, auras and other many other items that grant you bonus XP (e.g. Lumberjack clothing, Constructor’s outfit) will work alongside the weekend XP bonus. Your XP earned at base level receives the bonus, but the multiplier does not apply to the extra XP earned from the item.

From the XPW details...

Does that mean that the effect of Goldsmithing gauntlets will also stack with the XPW bonus? Would be rather delicious if it does.

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

I wonder if the gofannon amulet will work too? Imagine Gauntlets + Gofannon + BXPW + avatar all stacking. Kerching :D

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Here's a question ...

What effect does this have on Dungeoneering tokens? The 2x modifier doesn't affect tokens as well, right?

Hasn't in the past and there is no statement on it doubling tokens, so I doubt it will.

Here's a question ...

What effect does this have on Dungeoneering tokens? The 2x modifier doesn't affect tokens as well, right?

Hasn't in the past and there is no statement on it doubling tokens, so I doubt it will.

A'ight -- there's no point in doing DG that weekend, then, for me ...

*checks it off the list*

Thanks! :wub:

nyuseg.png

Outfits, auras and other many other items that grant you bonus XP (e.g. Lumberjack clothing, Constructor’s outfit) will work alongside the weekend XP bonus. Your XP earned at base level receives the bonus, but the multiplier does not apply to the extra XP earned from the item.

From the XPW details...

Does that mean that the effect of Goldsmithing gauntlets will also stack with the XPW bonus? Would be rather delicious if it does.

IIRC, the thread also stated gloves don't stack with bonus.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Yak hides in for 650gp each and they're not buying.

Oh dear.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Oh dear.

You can buy some from the jatizso shop, it takes a bit but you can get I think 500 per day on the cheap. If you don't need that many.

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Oh dear.

You can buy some from the jatizso shop, it takes a bit but you can get I think 500 per day on the cheap. If you don't need that many.

It's 1k, at 50gp ea. A bit of an exercise to buy them but worth it if you aren't wanting to fork out the big buckets.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

After reading the posts about Summoning I feel like I just read the same argument and counter argument about 20 times over.

I have no issue with the x1.1 limit being lifted, (I would take full advantage of it myself if I wasn't already 99) I do, however, have an issue with Jagex taking another U-turn on their stance of the skill in relation to bexp weekends.

I'm pretty sure they said themselves when they first changed it that Summoning was so different in the way that you gained exp that it would be unbalanced to give it a 2x boost.

I swear they backtrack and U-turn on previous policies more than politicians.

• Like 1
Sylpheed.png

After reading the posts about Summoning I feel like I just read the same argument and counter argument about 20 times over.

I have no issue with the x1.1 limit being lifted, (I would take full advantage of it myself if I wasn't already 99) I do, however, have an issue with Jagex taking another U-turn on their stance of the skill in relation to bexp weekends.

I'm pretty sure they said themselves when they first changed it that Summoning was so different in the way that you gained exp that it would be unbalanced to give it a 2x boost.

Yep, they do that a lot...

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

since it's a flat 2x they should just have no bonus to making pouches (leave 2x for making/using scrolls etc.) and double charm drops. Makes a lot more sense that way.

• Like 8

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Agreed, that would be the fair method to double the summoning xp rate :)

Fair for who? The people that did summoning before or don't have charms? That's their (and my) fault.

I wish people were more mature about this and realize that these things happen. New updates happen. Who knows if next month an update will happen where you can get 1-99 fishing in 3 days. Will you rage then?

They backtracked to do something that would help more than hurt people for once. It is preposterous how people will complain over anything, even something meant to be beneficial. You don't have to buy spins or solomon crap for this. Even f2p gets a boost. What the hell people?

Stop being mad because you used all your charms or sold/used all you raw materials or can't play this weekend. I did all 3 of those, deal with it.

Stop being mad because you used all your charms or sold/used all you raw materials or can't play this weekend. I did all 3 of those, deal with it.

I'm in the same boat, but I like that double charms idea. It'd be an option for people that couldn't get the resources in time and/or need to do some combat training.

• Like 1

Eh, I'm not terribly upset over their change (and what I dislike is really just that they went back on their word in two different ways), but I would rather have the charm drops doubled than the experience doubled for summoning. I think it makes more sense for the skill, for the exact same reasons that Jagex gave for not giving it the 2x bonus on their previous BXPWs.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg