Behind The Scenes - August 2013

Tim

Lol at the second skill being delayed, o well, I'd rather have it delayed and be ready than released before its time.

Bit sad it's not a double bill like with Arianne and Ozan's quests, but oh well, quests sounds good though.

Divination has me worried it'll be a grindfest like skilling at BoL. But we'll see about that soon enough...

BoL isn't a grindfest, have you seen how AFK it is?

Divination should be far more grindy than that.

Doesn't matter how AFK it is, it's like saying mining/fishing aren't grindy

Depends how you train them. How grindy something is, is a combination of the xp/hr and afkability to me. Mining isn't a grindy skill to me anymore, due to either warbands making it 1800k xp/hr, or training it normally but with eoc making it incredibly AFK. Equally I wouldn't view rocktail fishing as exactly grindy, C2 probably is.

Asmodean <3

Divination is P2P......figures.

Why would the people who pay to support the ongoing development and maintenance of the game not reap the benefits of it?

EDIT: failed grammar

Oh I agree with that. It's just that there has been a lot of talk of jagex saying one of the two skills would be in part f2p and it would have made sense to have been the gathering skill. I haven't seen a primary source for that so it may well be false.

If they make the 2nd skill reliant on Divination they force F2P to rely on P2P for supplies.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

New quest is always nice, shame they are replacing a classic though.

I don't get why they're replacing an old (classic) quest with an up-to-date one. I suppose the reason is likely to be “quality control” – and it’s probably premature of me to judge at this point, but why not simply make it an entire new quest and let us enjoy both of them?

Not that I mind, really – I’ve just always enjoyed doing quests and would rather see “more” of them than “less”, as it were … :unsure:

I recently created a new account. Replayed Black Knights Fortress....it wasn't good. Its short, extremely light on lore, storywise its bare-bones, and takes maybe 5 minutes if you already have the items.

• Like 2

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Isn't it funny how they kept saying Divination and the second new skill wouldn't be directly related to each other, then in the BTS they say the complete opposite?

Oh I agree with that. It's just that there has been a lot of talk of jagex saying one of the two skills would be in part f2p and it would have made sense to have been the gathering skill. I haven't seen a primary source for that so it may well be false.

Oh, but it is partly F2P.

• Like 1

I don't get why they're replacing an old (classic) quest with an up-to-date one. I suppose the reason is likely to be “quality control” – and it’s probably premature of me to judge at this point, but why not simply make it an entire new quest and let us enjoy both of them?

Not that I mind, really – I’ve just always enjoyed doing quests and would rather see “more” of them than “less”, as it were … :unsure:

I recently created a new account. Replayed Black Knights Fortress....it wasn't good. Its short, extremely light on lore, storywise its bare-bones, and takes maybe 5 minutes if you already have the items.

I did it maybe 2 weeks ago on 07, and I thought it was a fun quest. There is quite a lot of old Jagex humour in there.

Asmodean <3

I did it maybe 2 weeks ago on 07, and I thought it was a fun quest. There is quite a lot of old Jagex humour in there.

Other than the humor, it's a pretty benign and stupid quest. They could have left it and just made the new one a sequel to it, though.

• Like 2

Other than the humor, it's a pretty benign and stupid quest. They could have left it and just made the new one a sequel to it, though.

See, you seem to be able to accept that the old and unpolished quest can fit into the game world in its own right, as a gaggy and simple quest (a la Bacon). On the other hand, Jagex can't, which is why Demon Slayer became some weird underbudgeted abortion.
  • Like 2

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I can understand why they'd remove it, though: it looks bad to new users. RS3 is as much about bringing in new players (and apparently they're doing a pretty good job; I personally know a few people irl who've made new accounts to try out RS3) as it is about improving the game for veterans, and you don't want new users to be put off by a shitty quest that's no longer necessary.

• Like 2

See, you seem to be able to accept that the old and unpolished quest can fit into the game world in its own right, as a gaggy and simple quest (a la Bacon). On the other hand, Jagex can't, which is why Demon Slayer became some weird underbudgeted abortion.

There was a bit of humour, but not too much. Overall if they leave in some of the humour I feel the quest will be better for the lore additions and such. I love most of the quests but this one was just sub-par. I do hate what they did to Demon Slayer, but I think Demon Slayer had a lot more to it than Black Knights Fortress.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Sure the old quest may appeal to old players but Jagex is thinking about the future.

Just imagine being a new player and doing your first steps in RuneScape. You start out doing some low level f2p quests,

You were promised a AAA title and what do you get? A quest made in Andrew's basement 12 years ago. Sure there are new and better quality quests but you won't get that far, you will judge the whole game based on that first quest you did and get the hell out. Another lost customer who will tell his friends the game is not worth checking out.

• Like 2

Sure the old quest may appeal to old players but Jagex is thinking about the future.

Just imagine being a new player and doing your first steps in RuneScape. You start out doing some low level f2p quests,

You were promised a AAA title and what do you get? A quest made in Andrew's basement 12 years ago. Sure there are new and better quality quests but you won't get that far, you will judge the whole game based on that first quest you did and get the hell out. Another lost customer who will tell his friends the game is not worth checking out.

Thinking about the future yet membership is in decline.

I can understand why they'd remove it, though: it looks bad to new users. RS3 is as much about bringing in new players (and apparently they're doing a pretty good job; I personally know a few people irl who've made new accounts to try out RS3) as it is about improving the game for veterans, and you don't want new users to be put off by a shitty quest that's no longer necessary.

I agree. Black Knights Fortress embodies everything that was wrong with most of the original set of F2P quests, which have almost all been replaced or reworked in some way thus far;

1. Quests that are essentially glorified item fetches

2. Quests that have incredibly complicated structures/caves designed for them for the specific purpose of artificially drawing the quest out with ladders/doors/walking, without any sort of puzzle or challenge

3. Quests that have no real plot characters to them--and almost solely rely on nameless NPCs talking in the background

Jagex got a bit better at space usage and player engagement midway through RSC. Quests like Underground Pass, Clock Tower, and Fremmenik Trials are prime examples of extremely old quests that have held up over time, without even the slight need of a rework besides visuals in the past ten years.

I think Black Knight's Fortress is an especially big offender because of its position in the lore--the battle between the White Knights and Black Knights should be introduced to new players in a way that isn't a short joke quest with no real sense of meaning. Way back when, the two factions had no real importance to the game--but with the second God Wars going on they really deserve better.

• Like 3

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

The skill will come with a daisy-fresh hiscore table, so I'm hoping to see some healthy competition on the way to the Divination skillcape.

pffffffffffffff

"healthy"

anyway, lookin forward to more stuff to cram into my bank

8f14270694.jpg

This all seems nice, I'm excited for the loyalty rewards update so I may actually be able to get some of the auras that I want *looks at penance*. Also new skills are great as its basically a free +50 boost to my total level even if I don't like it. New quest seem could be interesting. But what I really want to know...

What I REALLY...REALLY want to know...

is WHERE IS THE PORTS UPDATE!?!?!?

• Like 1

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Remakes are good, as long as they stay similar to what remakes are.

IMHO, the ozan quests were spot on. They both did what Prince Ali Rescue did, plus more with some lore.

IMHO, the Airane quests weren't a very good remake of rune mysteries. Granted, rune mysteries was a tl;dr of.. talk to duke, wizard, merchant, wizard, done. The quests were good, but was more of Mystery of the Wizards Tower and Teleportinging rather than Mysteries of Ancient Rune Alters

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

But that isn't cannon.

Now, the Duke never found an air talisman, and because he didn't find it, he couldn't give a hoot about it and Aubury and Seridor aren't outright RC BUDDIES anymore

This is an outrate for gay rights!!

• Like 1

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

But that isn't cannon.

Now, the Duke never found an air talisman, and because he didn't find it, he couldn't give a hoot about it and Aubury and Seridor aren't outright RC BUDDIES anymore

This is an outrate for gay rights!!

It is canon for the most part. The entire plotline of the rediscovering of the Rune Altars is still a part of the lore--the Duke of Lumbridge is still the one who found the Air Talisman first and helped usher in the new age of plenty for the runes.

The difference is that we who completed the quest before the rework are now a part of history--we can say that we helped rediscover Runecrafting. :P Now all of the new players who are so enthralled with runes can be amazed at our previous efforts to learn the ancient art all over again.

It really wouldn't make sense to have kept it around considering that no part of the RC skill required having done the quest previously anymore. Instead they put that effort into telling a new story that goes even further back than that.

In this sense, the Old-School servers are a step back into the Fifth Age--to learn about the discovery of Runecrafting and all of the other events that are no longer relevant--a time back when the only mark of the power of the Gods was the Forinthry, not constant conflict and scarred land. I guess OSRS has managed to find its place in the lore, to my surprise. :P

• Like 1

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

...Which should make it obvious that the older system just isn't working.

Decline would mean, theres more people leaving the game than coming into it.

Meaning people are not satisfied in jagex's dirrection for current game updates. Creating a F2P game that gets people engaged should be one update on its own. Else it just makes it look ugly and patchy.

This all seems nice, I'm excited for the loyalty rewards update so I may actually be able to get some of the auras that I want *looks at penance*. Also new skills are great as its basically a free +50 boost to my total level even if I don't like it.

I hope for your sake then that the buff to loyalty points/month is significant since they won't be bought with RCoins.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

...Which should make it obvious that the older system just isn't working.

Decline would mean, theres more people leaving the game than coming into it.

Meaning people are not satisfied in jagex's dirrection for current game updates. Creating a F2P game that gets people engaged should be one update on its own. Else it just makes it look ugly and patchy.

Planning for the future does not necessitate them keeping all of the grumpy, demanding "veterans".

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

This all seems nice, I'm excited for the loyalty rewards update so I may actually be able to get some of the auras that I want *looks at penance*. Also new skills are great as its basically a free +50 boost to my total level even if I don't like it.

I hope for your sake then that the buff to loyalty points/month is significant since they won't be bought with RCoins.

I hope for all of our sakes that they don't jack up the prices of everything to match, or make the originally SGS-exclusive things that they do offer cost ridiculous amounts of loyalty pts. Would kind of defeat the purpose of letting both currencies work but I could totally see them doing that.

I really [bleep]ing hope they fix Supreme Corruption with this. If they don't I guess I'll just post in every single section of the RSOF that I can about it.

Best case scenario: Supreme wing auras are fixed, and gaze and wing auras are added as their own special slot on the Customization Interface.

What's going to happen for people who might have keepsaked loyalty shop items? I don't even know if you can, actually.

2dgucz6.png