Behind The Scenes - August 2013

Tim

One of the things they could have done is for those who have bought membership packages, to reward the loyalty points for those paid monthes immediately, rather than having to wait for them to come in monthly. (It's not as if they will refund the remaining membership if the player decides to quit, so in the end loyalty point will be rewarded either way, but this way perhaps they will get people more incentive to buy membership packages.

• Like 1

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Actually, that's not a terrible idea. Although, there are already a lot of things for people on recurring subscriptions to cry foul about (like game card cosmetics). Might not be great to keep adding to that list...

2dgucz6.png

Although, there are already a lot of things for people on recurring subscriptions to cry foul about (like game card cosmetics).

I never understood the reasoning behind that, because buying a membership package for one of the special deals will pause the recurring subscription, so it'll pretty much do the exact same thing in the end.

If anything, they started accepting pretty much every payment option for the speical offers.

Although, there are already a lot of things for people on recurring subscriptions to cry foul about (like game card cosmetics).

I never understood the reasoning behind that, because buying a membership package for one of the special deals will pause the recurring subscription, so it'll pretty much do the exact same thing in the end.

If anything, they started accepting pretty much every payment option for the speical offers.

They release them at such a rate that you will quickly rack up years of membership. At that point you are effectively buying the items, which many people find fault with. Who actually needs their membership to extend until fall 2016?

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

They release them at such a rate that you will quickly rack up years of membership. At that point you are effectively buying the items, which many people find fault with. Who actually needs their membership to extend until fall 2016?

I do! :D

One of the things they could have done is for those who have bought membership packages, to reward the loyalty points for those paid monthes immediately, rather than having to wait for them to come in monthly. (It's not as if they will refund the remaining membership if the player decides to quit, so in the end loyalty point will be rewarded either way, but this way perhaps they will get people more incentive to buy membership packages.

If they did that though, that would essentially be "buying" auras. At that point they might as well allow them to be purchased with Runecoins. In that's really their line of thought, then I agree with Jagex, since it works towards limiting the pay-to-win aspect of MT's.

hzvjpwS.gif

If they did that though, that would essentially be "buying" auras. At that point they might as well allow them to be purchased with Runecoins. In that's really their line of thought, then I agree with Jagex, since it works towards limiting the pay-to-win aspect of MT's.

Whilst I can see the logic in the packages being locked in so can give points anyway I don't agree with the idea.

The scheme is not just about rewarding your paying for the game it is about rewarding LOYALTY that means both paying for the game AND continuing to play it. For that to be true the points must be given out over time regardless of payment so you only benefit from them if you are being a loyal player and actually playing.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

more incentive to purchase membership packages would be bad, because people just stack up years of membership that they will never use because they keep adding more promotions than you can use.

However, it might be nice for one-shot year packages which you aren't allowed to purchase more than once?

As for the loyal thing, yes I agree that you should give it out over time anyways, in order not to gain huge benefit all at once, but you get the points regardless if you don't play the whole year as long as you come back..

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

^So true of the package thing my membership currently expires july 2014 but you know I'm probably gonna be buying the premier packages every dec/jan

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Any date set for the release of Divination? I'm thinking it might be next tuesday or wednesday?

Well, they said 4 weeks after RS3, and it's only been like what, just over a week? But Divi being the first item in the BTS, I have no idea.

True (and assuming they are releasing updates in the same order they are in the BTS), but if they don't update next week then it would be two weeks one after another of no updates.

howlin1eeveesig.png

Any date set for the release of Divination? I'm thinking it might be next tuesday or wednesday?

Well, they said 4 weeks after RS3, and it's only been like what, just over a week? But Divi being the first item in the BTS, I have no idea.

True (and assuming they are releasing updates in the same order they are in the BTS), but if they don't update next week then it would be two weeks one after another of no updates.

I was thinking about this too, and it could be the case that they did it out of order to 'highlight' the new skill. Since that's obviously their biggest update for the month, they would want to hype it up the most so they put it first to do this (rather than putting it first to indicate that it will be the first update of the month).

We are also adding some other smaller features to the game later this month, such as clockwork toys for your cats, teleportation tablets, making your own cups of tea and even chairs you can sit down in.

Oh for the days :mad:

In the cases of Farming, Construction, Hunter and Summoning, each BTS was listed chronologically. We could just hope that this is the same :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

We are also adding some other smaller features to the game later this month, such as clockwork toys for your cats, teleportation tablets, making your own cups of tea and even chairs you can sit down in.

In the cases of Farming, Construction, Hunter and Summoning, each BTS was listed chronologically. We could just hope that this is the same :P

Yeah but none of those were announced beforehand and thus were a total surprise.

Currently we know for months that there is a new skill and the name of it is known for months too. So if they ever were to input it like those skills, by a cryptic reference, everyone would instantly know it as the new skill..

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Yeah but none of those were announced beforehand and thus were a total surprise.

Currently we know for months that there is a new skill and the name of it is known for months too. So if they ever were to input it like those skills, by a cryptic reference, everyone would instantly know it as the new skill..

I call BS...

People knew a long long time that construction and farming were coming. Myself and many others knew about the hex editing to find all of the construction buildings. Also farming has a nifty teaser to let players thieve farmers before it came out. The other two you may well be right about.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I call BS...

People knew a long long time that construction and farming were coming. Myself and many others knew about the hex editing to find all of the construction buildings. Also farming has a nifty teaser to let players thieve farmers before it came out. The other two you may well be right about.

Okay to a very small minority it might have been know and even then it was just guess work whether or not it was a new skill...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

The cryptic clue was only for Construction. Farming, Hunter and Summoning were known beforehand, with a month's pre-release on seeds for Farming and 4 dev diaries for Summoning.

6Ij0n.jpg

Yeah of the rs2 skills only Construction was really much of a surprise.

dg, rc, farm, hunt, slay and summ all had some form of pre-knowledge that was fairly common place be it the extensive dev diaries of summ, the pre-release seeds of farm, the beta teasers of rc or w/e we knew about them all before they launched.

I think Div has gotta be out this week coming or the one after.

Today's BTS is set to be about Div and the next above the lore podcast is due mid-late next week and that is 'A-Z of Divination' which sounds rather spoiler so has gotta be a briefly before launch or just after it imo.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I call BS...

Okay to a very small minority it might have been know and even then it was just guess work whether or not it was a new skill...

Ehh... (story time)

Construction:

For the most part was left unannounced and as a surprise. It was mentioned in the bts for the month at the time as a small hint quoted above. Now some people said that sounded like a new skill, but I cannot say there was a general community sense that it was a skill. There had be a large community support for carpentry as a skill so this fell in line really well with it. After the skill came out I learned some people had found some furniture imagines in the cache(?) cannot completely remember, so to some people they had an idea but cannot say at all that the community did as a whole.

Farming:

Pickpocketing seeds from master farmers and killing regular farmers for rakes, watering cans, and other small farming items were released ahead of the skill in hopes of giving people some seeds and supplies to kick the skill off with. But the skill was delayed from its original date (as far as I can remember) so it ended up with people having huge stocks of seeds. Think I had like 10k-15k potato seeds when it finally came out. To my knowledge they said it was coming in the months bts it did come out, but I don't totally remember.

Hunter:

Now this skill was hyped quite a bit, including some hints towards its mechanics (most people were thinking it would be a ton like slayer) and its release week was also announced before hand. But the community sorta shot themselves in the foot here when the skill wasn't released exactly when they wanted. Its a tad foggy but I believe people were wanting it released on the Monday of the week, but it happened to be the Tuesday (or it could of been it was delayed a week, I cannot completely remember). Anyway, because of not getting the skill exactly when they wanted, their was actually riots around Seer's Village (fairly large too, enough that Mod Howes came and lurked for a bit) and even like a 1k post there petitioning for the skill to be released that minute on the RSB.

Summoning:

Learning from the communities reaction from hunter, Jagex backed off a tad on the specific details of when the skill was exactly coming out. They did do four large developer blogs (as bts had been removed by this point) which gave concept art for the skill (I remember the hydra concept looking awesome) and in each blog 1/4 of the summoning icon image was on the coffee cup on the blog's picture. The skill mechanics were not fully hinted at before the update though and I personally had hoped for more of a companion system where you summon a pet then have it attack along with you for the summoning experience and have the pet grow in levels itself (going from a small fuzzy thing, into a powerful companion etc).

Now I'll admit I don't remember slayer's release buildup at all, I cannot recall even if there was one. It was largely before I was completely reading news updates so someone a bit older than me will have to fill that in. But, each of these skills had some build up in their own right and for nearly everyone we atleast had the name of the skilling coming and some design concept. Construction was kept the most hidden, but was not a shock when it came out, it just wasn't hyped quite as much. Hunter was super overly hyped, to the point the community was largely worked up and as the RSB community typically is, was largely disappointed when everything wasn't exactly as they wanted.

This skill walks right along the lines of farming. We know it is coming, we have some knowledge of it, but we don't totally know what to expect.

Small rant on the nature of your posts though... Why write something so definite that it makes it read you are completely right when it is not the case? I read that and cringed when I knew it was offbase. Nothing at all wrong with "I don't remember any skill being hinted at and them all being a surprise" as it gets the point across and leaves room for it not being completely right but simply putting "Yeah but none of those were announced beforehand and thus were a total surprise" makes it sound like you know exactly what you are talking about. In some ways it is how the large misconceptions around Runescape happens, when someone who reads that and takes it as true and runs with it >.> Maybe I'm just tired, but a small annoyance reading that when it can be even Runewiki'd to confirm otherwise.

Maybe too much GOP has made my angry :S

• Like 1
siggy_zps7b2911b4.png

Construction's leaks were found a few weeks before the skill came out--people edited the links for the Game Guide to find the Construction Guide and a handful of images showing the inside of a very basic POH. We pretty much knew the skill was going to happen, but it seemed like forever until it actually released. Since then Jagex learned to never hide anything on their servers that they don't want unceremoniously leaked to the public :P

Summoning also had leaks--and tons of them. We pretty much actually had 3/4 of the original set of Summoning Pouches (Although we had no idea what they were) leaked like three months before the skill even happened, alongside models for most of the base set Summoning creatures + Titans from the second set. Here's one such picture. Ones like these were found inside the Runescape cache, with weird against-the-TOS tactics used to break it apart and find the stuff that had been accidentally left inside. It was a really fun time--we would get new leaks every single day, and we would debate as to what the names of each of the creatures were. Then there was also the Karamthulu Glitch which wasn't really related to Summoning but it hyped us up the whole time. There was a lot of teasers--from the Pet Shop in Yanille being added a few weeks before the skill came out, as well as random Summoning monster seemingly appearing in weird locations around the world at very very rare intervals. (This was never confirmed with pictures as far as I can tell--the only way we know it wasn't a hoax is because someone saw something weird in Brimhaven, then proceeded to describe the Moss Titan perfectly like a week before we got any pictures of its model)

But yeah. That stuff was fun :P Too bad Jagex is too smart to let any of those sort of massive content dumps and internal resource stuff get leaked anymore. (Although apparently there was some sort of Dungeoneering model leak that I didn't apparently know about now that I look at it, but it didn't seem too expansive)

It seems like Divination is getting the regular-content-update treatment, as opposed to one of these weird secretive ones.

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

Don't forget for summoning, they released eggs before the skill even came out, I remember people camping vultures and stuff. Was a bit disappointing when it turned out you only really needed 1 of them since they were for pets.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Before the forum update sometime in 2011 I was reading through the really old archives of Game Update posts. I got to the one which launched Slayer, and I remember the mod there writing something along the lines of "We're sorry that Carpentry has been delayed, so to make up for that we're going to give you this skill to play with in the meantime. Enjoy!"

And yeah, going through the thread, a lot of the users from that time were complaining that Slayer wasn't a skill ...

• Like 4

6Ij0n.jpg

Slayer, does not make sense as a skill. You kill a bunch of monsters that you are told to kill until you magically learn how to kill anoter type of monster, or wear some strange kind of trinket that prevents a specific tyle of monster from shopdawhopping you.

At least other skills are more.. skill..y

Make a thousand of X so that you can figure out how to make some Y, then make some Y a million times until you know how to make Xs and Ys enough that you are allowed to wear a fancy cape

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Slayer, does not make sense as a skill. You kill a bunch of monsters that you are told to kill until you magically learn how to kill anoter type of monster, or wear some strange kind of trinket that prevents a specific tyle of monster from shopdawhopping you.

At least other skills are more.. skill..y

Make a thousand of X so that you can figure out how to make some Y, then make some Y a million times until you know how to make Xs and Ys enough that you are allowed to wear a fancy cape

Yeah I agree, Its odd that you need to be assigned to kill something to magicly get exp.