Polls General Discussion

Maxingmck

I think people will go for the Wen quest because dwarves... though bik does seem interesting.

Honestly no matter what they are all great oportunities to delve into the lore.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Glad they opted out of having Jas and Mah as options as they would have undoubtedly been the top two.

I'll probably vote for Bik or Wen to be honest, as they're the two we know the least about. Ful could be interesting though, and I do like the Tzhaar.

Sylpheed.png

Bik or Wen are my top choices, interesting that judging by the thread 'Mah and the Abyss' was going to be an option but was removed shortly after the thread went live.

I feel like Ful will stand a high chance of winning just because its the most recognisable option and the flock will come.

The general research idea is TERRIBLE in my opinion - we already know where they are thanks to the god-specific chronicles found at their resting sites via the measure.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It's a good thing that everyone has done FOTG and its post-quest content, then! 

There's a bit of a difference between knowing the general area where they've been sleeping and getting down in there to find out just what everyone is so afraid of, and it makes sense to start the Elder God storyline - in terms of both gameplay and story placement - with a relatively low-level/neutral quest and build up to the "ohmygod the oceans are literally boiling away"-tier important stuff... which, you know, is how their storylines have traditionally worked. 

But the Elder God story has already begun, so starting it again is rendered rather pointless. It was begun the first time 'the stone of jas' was uttered and we were left asking who is Jas? It was begun the first time the oracle muttered the name Wen. It was begun the first time we spoke to the Tokhaar and began to learn of Ful. It was begun when we spoke to the mysterious heads in Ooak and learnt who made them. That start is good and is solid, its woven through many quest arcs and builds from mysterious questions to a solid idea by the end of Fotg.

Equally I fail to see how any sort of research could provide any useful information.

Only Zaros, Seren, the dragonkin and the Tokhaar seem to have any notion at all of the elder gods existing beyond oh shiny powerful object someone left behind. So I fail to see how we could uncover any meaningful information on them, especially when you consider they went to sleep BEFORE the first sentient beings (outside the tokhaar) came anywhere near Gielinor. I just don't see how we feasibly could uncover anything via research without seriously devaluing the mysterious unknown overtones of the existing routes into the elder gods.

And its not like fotg is 100% vital to locating them - Ful requires BoE so the Tokhaar are friendly with us and we could ask more about Ful and learn her locale through that (though its already pretty obvious). The Oracle already mentions Wen so with the right coercion and questioning could easily unveil what is under the mountain. The mysterious head Saradomin sunk would've quite obviously seen where Bik went to sleep and as the more talkative of the heads could be plied for information if we un-sunk it.

Of all 4 elder god locations the only remote surprise was Jas, players had long since sussed Ful would be at the volcano, Wen at ice mountain and the dramen tree spirit looking one ought to be somewhere around the Dramen tree.

Plus I don't see the Elder god plot as a whole as needing that lower end content - it is fundamentally a high end story. We need to be powerful and strong to have any hopes of dealing with them, so I don;t see why that needs to be diluted down with a lower handholding pathway in. The lower lore is the younger gods and the trivial matters of the mortals, leave the elder gods to the higher end. The story can still start off at a lower key, but it doesn't mean it needs to be lower easy tiered quests.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You're talking to someone who's quickly becoming opposed to the idea of a rating system and quest requirements as a whole sFwNzfq.gif That's the reason I said before that it probably won't win, though: it's not a grandmaster quest, and we as a community seem to have it in our heads that the only quests that matter have to be GM-tier. Quite frankly, I'm disgusted by the idea that the "trivial matters" have to be low-end, but I'll shut up about that now

In just a few years we've gone from Zaros being in the same position as the EGs are currently in, to something that everyone ingame knows about (and can comfortably talk about as if they've always known). Food for thought.

Just because Jagex have tightened up the introduction of the gods and their lore and given them to early players does not, to me, make a good case for dragging every last iota of lore down to that level for its origin point.

There should be things that are higher up that are left to discover as you progress (assuming you do live in a bubble and avoid reading a thing about them before hand).

Also to your strike through I never said the 'trivial matters' HAD to be low end and nothing more. Stories progress and develop and can become quite big. I was simply saying let those stories be there in the low end for the lower players, there's plenty of them there after all and they tell wonderful stories many of which bridge upwards to the higher end; just don't try and force every story to have a root in that lower end because some stories are just bigger stories that should be exclusively in the higher end of things.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Can I just point out that the last quest we got that wasn't novice or grandmaster came out almost two years ago?

Think you mean Experienced or Intermediate. But yeah, it's been awfully long since we had one of those. Everything's either Grandest Adventure Ever or Post-Tutorial filler.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

They need to refresh the whole quest rating system. Nomad and WGS are the only true hard ones, all of the other grandmaster quests have been grandmaster because they are rich in deep lore rather than being high req and difficult. MEP2 honestly fits my ideal requirement, but FoTG does not. EOC probably also made all the old GM quests super easy by 2014 standards. Once high combat stats like 80 def started making their way into the requirements, the combat aspects started getting too EZ mode. Ashdale is the only exception in being hard to do EOC

List:

WGS: Very long and hard, Med requirements in todays measures

Nomad: Impossible for anyone under 115 cmb at time of release (until some clever guy enlightened the population about spirit kyatts)

Void: High reqs but not very hard and the only real relevant lore is a random turtle

RoTM: High reqs and tough fight even for one of the early GM quests

Tzhaar: High reqs but its honestly just a few simple tzhaar style fights

TWW: A lotta lore but it lacks everywhere else

Dwarves: Pretty dumb quest but it was long and had high reqs. EOC made the boss fight super EZ

One of a Kind: I had a harder time doing Swan Song on 07. Yeah it doesnt make sense if done before WGS, but honestly thats like making Catapault construction a master quest which also makes no sense

FotG: .....once again, rich in lore but the actual content is composed of 'run thru this area and kill these mini nex's that are now a slayer task'

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

That is indeed an issue I agree, however that does not alter the fact I do not think it is appropriate for the elder gods plot to be taken to that lower end. Breaking/lowering one thing simply to fix another issue is never a good solution.

Plus does this poll not address that issue in part?

Bik is slated as an Experienced quest.

Wen as an Master.

Only Ful is slated as Gm.

In addition to that the next 'god series' quest aimed to be in 2014 ought to be somewhere in the lower end, and not a novice with any luck and Timbo Quest - The Mighty Fall is slated for June release as a Master quest.

Plus given the closeness to 200 quests it seems quite likely they'll try and rig elf finale to hit that magic 200 which would require quite a good slew of quests in the coming months which, one would assume, could not all be novice and gm.

Also I think the slew of Novice and Gm was actually fixing a pre-existing issue. After all you'd expect a relatively 'neat' curve where each category has progressively less quests.

At Present we have:

53 Novice

61 Intermediate

39 Experienced

30 Master

9 Grandmaster

Which as a curve is relatively ok, but still kinda short on Novice quests and maybe a little low on gm - if you take out the 4 Novice quest we have had since Sept 2012 they are a bit shorter. The other 6 Novice ranked quests in that time period were all remakes and did not effect the totals.

Equally take out the 5 Gm quests from that time frame and you are left with the GM end of the curve being worryingly short with only 4 quests.

Arguably if you wanted to fix the issue of the curve entirely we need another 8+ novice quests before the other categories get a look in.

But even so I do think it is time we have some quest in the middle categories and we do indeed have some of the cards judging by all the options available - But I still do not think Elder Gods needs to or ought to be a story happening as low down as intermediate quests.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Let's bet on which wins. 1.5 : 1 on the omgTzHaar GM quest, and 9001 : 1 on the Intermediate bookworm nerd quest.

Well I'm glad no one took me up on this l0l0l0l0l0l

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Looks like research is winning big.

All of them are really good options anyways... my issue is seeing if they keep it too vague.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I don't see why the research quest would have to be a lower requirement quest anyway. I took the option to be something more along the lines of 'okay, we know these are a thing now, so lets get out in the field and do some real work'. It's already been pointed out that researching them in a library sense would be utterly futile since we already seem to know everything any of the sentient races know, so unless Zaros want's to sit down to tea and let us pick his brain, research means fieldwork.

Field work would presumably mean Indiana Jones-ing our way into some ancient crypt/temple full of ancient and powerful enemies and maybe coming across some sort of ancient guardian. If Jagex want, they could even treat it as a 'we don't know' option and just run the quest on whatever Elder Gods they feel like, and just set it up so we are researching, which was probably going to be the pretense anyway.

As a side thought, didn't the entire Elder God line of quests start with a Master or Grandmaster?

Well they have the potential for it to be good as long as they create a good setting and quest plot.

I mean they could open up with something like the Cloverfield monsters effect on the land. They could lead the whole quest with an eclipsing effect of whats to come.

• Like 1

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png