Invention Skill - To be or not to be?

Yoko Kurama

Wonderful dev team to design an entire skill (Divination) that is supposed to be tied into Invention then be this vague about their design goals. I thought the entire point of Divination was to have a gatherer for Invention. They should have just scrapped Divination and released Invention and saved us all the horrible grind of Divination. I would have had a bit more fun playing with Inventions than sitting at a whisp colony. 

Low_C.png

I like how he plays stupid as components of invention clearly were used as SOF/TH marketing pieces. Granted they were VERY good pieces to use.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Invention as it was does seem to be rather canned, between a lot of sof prizes being very inventor-ry (portables, spring cleaner etc) and the mention of a 'big announcement' at runefest to do with it I rather think they ditched the idea but intend to put a different artisan skill in to go with div.

I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps it was morphed into an engineering skill instead - similar to how carpentry became construction mid-dev.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Invention as it was does seem to be rather canned, between a lot of sof prizes being very inventor-ry (portables, spring cleaner etc) and the mention of a 'big announcement' at runefest to do with it I rather think they ditched the idea but intend to put a different artisan skill in to go with div.

I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps it was morphed into an engineering skill instead - similar to how carpentry became construction mid-dev.

Im betting they will hold an invention/engeneering thought-web for creation concepts. I could see jagex using regular player submissions over tine to fuel the concept. Imagine players 'creating' concepts for strange, funny, useful or even plain dangerous items. They could still tie in divination energy to fuel them.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Wonderful dev team to design an entire skill (Divination) that is supposed to be tied into Invention then be this vague about their design goals. I thought the entire point of Divination was to have a gatherer for Invention. They should have just scrapped Divination and released Invention and saved us all the horrible grind of Divination. I would have had a bit more fun playing with Inventions than sitting at a whisp colony. 

Oh man so much potential, and I really saw it as the way to revive jewelry to something awesome.

But alas, Invention tied with divination would mean Magic notepaper, Portable skilling locations, Spring Cleaner and Wisdom Totems to be skill items, or you know actually useful items; spin away xD

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

It would be a shame to throw away a whole skill like that.  Maybe they should run another poll, because I'm just as curious about how people feel about it.  Maybe we could run a poll on the homepage O.O.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

They should add more to Divination to be honest and ditch the whole "Invention" idea. Right now Divination is a naked new-born with almost nothing to it at the moment. 

With that said, there's still lots more they DO need to do, such as Construction. This was planned in 2012 and was supposed to be released in 2013. Construction hasn't had reward or ANY content for years on end (D&D doesn't count). we have so many teleport options and we're only allowed to put 7 portals in, hell here's some half-decent ideas:

You could add Ashdale, Lunar, Trollhiem, Prifddinas and Sopheneim teleports.

Armory display rooms where you can equip dummies with gear to display your skill (or wealth) and even make the dummies clockwork and walk around like pets.

A lore-based room to chronicle your Quests with a cape rack to display your Legends/Quest Cape, decorative Shield of Aravv / Stone of Jas / Nomad's Spear.

A PvM room to display mounted parts of bosses you've killed like the KK's pincer, a shard of Vorago, Araxxor's eye, Mole's hand, Barrow bros' spirits in a jar.

A Skill room where you can display 2 skill-capes on each side with some form of object in front of it like a Smithing Cape & Anvil, with some sort of ...big decoration in the middle.

Those are just some basic things they can add with the CURRENT PoH system with minimal work: add new rooms, new models, obtainable Quest replicas from NPCs for a price and add a "NPC Drop" % to bosses.

• Like 1

Popoto.~<3

To be honest, I voted for Elf City, as I not only prefered it to Invention but I never liked Invention in the first place. Jagex mentioned at Runefest that it'd be a 'slow buyable' that was 'very friendly to our mega billionaires in the audience', which completely turned me off from the skill. And not for a lack of money, but I thought to myself, that's no way to design a skill.

Also, since a lot of the things that made Invention appealing to others and could have been put in there (Level 90 Weapons, and various things that were on SOF) ended up being removed from it, why even bother at this stage to put into the game?

I just find it amusing that such a huge project that they have been hyping for 2 years could be so easily scrapped without much fanfare. This is a routine occurrence at Jagex, they will hype up stuff (such as Construction Rework), then totally forget about it.

• Like 1

I'm torn with Invention, as the last thing we need is a skill for the sake of having a skill. Their initial ideas of 'level up my weapon' deffinitely fell into that category; you already have to grind and level up so many things to be max combat, why add another just for the sake of 'new content'. Also the weapons and armour market is already so saturated, adding another form when so many skills like smithing and fletching are useless would be plain daft. To be honest divination already has far more purpose and rewards than many other skills, so perhaps they just need to increase the number of uses for divine energy within divination itself.  If it had been released many years earlier, perhaps divine energy could have been used instead of spirit shards in pouch making, but it's deffinitely too late for that.

That said, the one idea about invention that they had I did like originally was their plan for it to be an item sink for many of the products made in other skills, or even a way of consuming armour like Bandos etc to help push up the price of them. But that cant  be done without making it another weapon/armour making skill, hence my confliction

To be honest, I voted for Elf City, as I not only prefered it to Invention but I never liked Invention in the first place. Jagex mentioned at Runefest that it'd be a 'slow buyable' that was 'very friendly to our mega billionaires in the audience', which completely turned me off from the skill. And not for a lack of money, but I thought to myself, that's no way to design a skill.

Also, since a lot of the things that made Invention appealing to others and could have been put in there (Level 90 Weapons, and various things that were on SOF) ended up being removed from it, why even bother at this stage to put into the game?

I just find it amusing that such a huge project that they have been hyping for 2 years could be so easily scrapped without much fanfare. This is a routine occurrence at Jagex, they will hype up stuff (such as Construction Rework), then totally forget about it.

I recall them stating the opposite :/maybe that was before fest though

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Divination wasn't even needed as a standalone skill. It would easily fit into prayer as a moneymaking branch of the skill, with the energy gained being used for inventor. Divination as a skill is as integral to the rest of scape as a beach episode is to an anime series.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I just hope Invention will at least have some useful benefits to it.

Divination to me is fairly horrible to train, but at least the benefits give me a reason to train it (divine locations, signs and portents).

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

And you people wanted the Elf City

We wanted the Elf City...

We've wanted the Elf City for just about a decade...

We wanted the Elf City BEFORE a skill that just barely saw its gathering counterpart fully rolled out...

Contrary to popular belief; preferring one over the other does not mean we dislike the other... Given the option, we probably would've said "Why not both?"

tumblr_n4h4jiFiTW1smcbm7o1_400.gif

• Like 4

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

What's wrong with the Elf City, I love the place and it's not even finished! :D

I'd rather still want Invention to come sooner or later, though, but I'd like to see an Invention skill based on magicky engineering, kinda steampunk items that aid you in different environments and skills.

Like all the scrapped stuff they've now put into the Treasure Hunter.

Nothing wrong with it, there's something wrong with releasing content that could be ingame into the pay2win bullshit

and also scrapping entire things which we keep getting lead on with. Or ofcourse ruined like PvP; Hey mod Pi is going to the ninja team, but he didn't even finish his job

and that's probably the problem :)

"Potentially, it's difficult to say the devs will be still here and if TH/sof has filled our pockets enough so that we care enough to churn out another skill also as stated above we will use elements of it, probably all of them, and put them on TH"

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Just look at their runefest line-up.

Specifically, the first major item "a new runescape product".

Jagex is wholly committed to nickel and dime-ing people until they go belly up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had gutted invention for treasure hunter and that crap.

But, by all means enjoy Spockville.

I'm sure Mod Dingleberry there is the lead in the copy, paste, reskin department. 

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol