20 April 2006 - Rune Essence adjustment

biggy08755

This is a great idea, and I'll attempt to answer some of the concerns people have.

The f2pers who got their essence converted to unusable pure essence need not worry, Jagex said they will be fixing this so that any pure essence a f2per got in the conversion is useable. I'm assuming this means making all pure essence currently in f2p banks tradeable to members. And given that pure essence will probably be worth a lot more than regular essence used to be, you'll probably make a lot more money off it than you thought when you originally bought it to merchant. I agree that it would be totally unfair if you were stuck with tens of thousands of useless essence in your bank, but I think you'll all be pretty pleased with the return on your investment once Jagex gets it straightened out. :wink:

Second, getting 30 mining and a membership takes a day or 2 and $5. Remember, you're starting over with only a bronze pick, and only bronze and tin to mine. Remember also that Jagex is regularly banning rune essence autoers. Sure, you could get a membership and get your mining up to 30, and then mine pure essence, but you run risks by doing so. You run the risk of being banned before ever getting the chance to sell the essence that you mine - meaning you just got a members account which you paid $5 for banned with no return on your money. Not to mention, you just spent several hours getting to 30 mining for nothing. That's quite a deterrent.

Third, someone mentioned that autoers could simply mine regular essence and make airs to sell for money. The point of an autoing account is to make money fast - auto essence miners want to be able to create an account, do the quest, and then walk to Varrock and set their computer and forget it for a day or longer. Now, they are required to go to the essence mine for a day, where they risk being banned, and then walk o Falador and set their computer to auto there making runes. Meaning it will take twice as long to realize the profits, and will give Jagex twice as long at two different sites to catch people autoing before they can sell their items for profit. This probably isn't a deterrent to people creating throwaway accounts to try and make money this way, but it gives Jagex a much greater opportunity to catch autoers before their ill-gotten goods hit the market. Especially since they will have to work for a long time to make enough multiple airs to make enough money to justify the time spent.

Fourth, re: bans - the people buying the essence off of of the autoers for a fair price aren't targeted. Jagex merely looks for either an obscene amount of essence being given away, or an obscene amount of money being given away. These types of transactions inidcate either an autoer getting essence for a main character, or Runescape money being sold for real world money. Buying essence gotten from autoing is not illegal, or else anybody with a decent runecrafting level would be banned by now :?

Finally, the price of pure essence will rise sharply, and people are complaining - but they shouldn't. Essence obtained from autoing floods the market, driving the price aritificially low. I think the market recently reached the breaking point, as I've seen obscene sales offers on world 2 like "Selling 632k ess 28 each!" Members can turn a ridiculous profit on ess bought at that price - with so much essence available that far outweighs the demand, nature rune crafting became ridiculously unbalanced as far as a way for making money. No other skill can make 300k profit per hour at level 44 - and members can easily get 44 runecrafting in a few days, even starting from scratch.

This should put pure essence at a more reasonable price, like 60-80 each. This actually sucks for me, as I need a crapload of cosmics, and people will either not make them any more or charge a lot more for them. But it seems unreasonable that a skill should be so profitable at a low level. The other thing it will do is make runecrafting more viable for free players. Essence sold at 30-40 each makes low level runecrafting a losing proposition - it was much cheaper to just buy runes at a shop than buy essence and craft your own airs, waters, and especially earths and fires. Sure, you could mine your own essence, but who wants to spend hours mining essence just to get a couple thousand elemental runes? The new f2p essence will sell much cheaper - and newer players will still probably be happy to get the 10-20 I suspect the regular essence to sell for when first starting out in the game. Which will make f2p runecrafting a much more useful and profitable skill.

And in case your wondering about this essay, no I don't work for Jagex :wink: But I applaud what seems like a good and pretty creative method to deal with cheaters. I realize that, at least initially, Jagex will also reap substantial benefits from thousands of autoers signing up for memberships, and this no doubt played a part in implementing this solution. I also realize that, having not logged on yet and seen the new essence, if they look the same it gives scammers an easy way to scam - something that should be immediately fixed, perhaps by putting a hole in the middle of regular essence. But overall, the positives will far outweigh the negatives. And unlike some people, I don't consider Jagex making more money to be a negative.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why couldn't JageX give us a warning?

In my humble opinion it would of been fairer to say "from now all newly mined essence is pure/impure and all previously mined essence is pure. Members and non members would be able to use pure essence.

This way nobody would of been caught out by sudden price drops.

A warning would of caused the essence market to be flooded and would of killed the price.

i know this may sound pretty selfish, but as of right now, im pretty happy about this.

im a f2p who actually buys ess, im pretty poor seeing as the basic runes are hard to sell, but i use them and it works....

in world 85 there was a mass panic at varrock est bank earlier (28 people were selling ess and no one was buying) i fingured that beacuse of the simple rule of economics: high suply+low demand=low price, i mannaged to buy 3k f2p ess for 15k....

so a few people have benefitted from this, but id hate to see some of the long term effects of this update

Megadedhed.jpeg

Sigs made by Runemetsa, Nuzza, Dark_Shadow, Kuroi and Me.

liquid blobs attacking eachother

American Anime... YAY!

Here is my situation. Yesterday I bought 372k ess. This is the first time I ever bought a large volume of ess (more than 100k). I intended to trade these ess for a blue mask, but today I log in to find that Jagex has just halved the value of my investment (assuming I can sell them at all). The vast majority of my net worth is tied up in what has just been turned into worthless impure ess, thanks to Jagex misguided attempt to curb autoing.

I have always been F2p, and gp has been a struggle to come by. Now in one fell swoop, Jagex has caused me to lose over half my net worth through no wrongdoing of my own. I can only assume I am one of many people in this same situation.

Yet at the same time, members who purchased quantities of ess just doubled their money. Members who already make millions of gp on barrows, runecrafting natures and fletching, just won the lottery.

But of course...

we donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t want RuneScape to be just a game in which you can buy your way to success, if we let players start doing this it devalues the game for other players. We feel your status in real-life shouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t affect your ability to be successful in the game

So now the F2p ess merchants are ruined, and the gp bloated members just crammed some more coins into their overflowing sacks of money. This turn of events is so pervertedly injust, it makes me want to vomit.

[edit] I've reported hundreds of macroers. I've even gone out of my way to find and report autoers, yet when Jagex implements their "solution" to the autoing problem, I get slapped in the face. Nobody loathes autoers more than me, but I am the one who gets shafted by this update.

[edit] Here's another "solution" to autoing I just thought of. Why not just delete all the gp in F2p accounts. That idea holds just as much water as what Jagex has done with ess, and it will actually cost me less than todays update has.

31509signature.gif

Meh, I think there's alot of over reaction to this. Pure ess seems to have steadied a bit at 40-50ea on the forums so it's only gone back to the price it was a month ago.

However I'm looking forward to a Tip It Times article on this soon :D

Here is my situation. Yesterday I bought 372k ess. This is the first time I ever bought a large volume of ess (more than 100k). I intended to trade these ess for a blue mask, but today I log in to find that Jagex has just halved the value of my investment (assuming I can sell them at all). The vast majority of my net worth is tied up in what has just been turned into worthless impure ess, thanks to Jagex misguided attempt to curb autoing.

I have always been F2p, and gp has been a struggle to come by. Now in one fell swoop, Jagex has caused me to lose over half my net worth through no wrongdoing of my own. I can only assume I am one of many people in this same situation.

Yet at the same time, members who purchased quantities of ess just doubled their money. Members who already make millions of gp on barrows, runecrafting natures and fletching, just won the lottery.

But of course...

we donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t want RuneScape to be just a game in which you can buy your way to success, if we let players start doing this it devalues the game for other players. We feel your status in real-life shouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t affect your ability to be successful in the game

So now the F2p ess merchants are ruined, and the gp bloated members just crammed some more coins into their overflowing sacks of money. This turn of events is so pervertedly injust, it makes me want to vomit.

It has been brought to our attention that some free players who used to be members have had their essence converted into pure essence which they now can't use.

Don't worry, we are aware of this and are working to fix it. In next week's update we will make it so that whilst free players can't mine any more pure essence they can however still use/trade any which was automatically converted.

If you haven't already read it, then please see the previous news post entitled Rune Essence adjustment for more details on the Rune Essence changes.

There is the answer to your laments. THose 372k ess will propbably sell for even more than you expected when they are converted to pure ess.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Congratu-f'n-lations

Another aspect of RuneScape successfully [bleep]ED UP by the ever great JAGEX. God, Jagex remind me so much of bush, it's weird but true. Over the time I've been a player I notice more an more they do things like the whole 'oil/freedom for iraq' scandal. This is just another one... as someone in the first post pointed out, nobody really gives a crap about macroers, nobody in their right mind is gonna be happier for this except Jagex, who get more money because the macroers will go p2p now. LAME.

In conclusion, F U JAGEX :x :twisted:

Aaargh god I hate jagex... an I don't even mine essence!!!!! :x

tifsbti6oi.gif

It has been brought to our attention that some free players who used to be members have had their essence converted into pure essence which they now can't use. Don't worry, we are aware of this and are working to fix it. In next week's update we will make it so that whilst free players can't mine any more pure essence they can however still use/trade any which was automatically converted.

If you haven't already read it, then please see the previous news post entitled Rune Essence adjustment for more details on the Rune Essence changes.

There is the answer to your laments. THose 372k ess will propbably sell for even more than you expected when they are converted to pure ess.

My ess were not converted because I have never been a member. Only people with member items in their bank got their ess converted to pure ess.

31509signature.gif

im still confused as to which way the prices will flow. I think the prices are gonna rise because theres less of a demand which results less of a supply.

If the above happens...oh geez...just when i start rune crafting >.<

andysigwhitemc.jpg

dude i got pked and lost my full zezima

Why did Jagex split the essence? To stop autoers. But, what is the best way to stop autoers? Anything randomly set.

It would be much easier to set a question before entering the ess mine or something like an old man-box. But jagex splits the ess into f2p and p2p. And you need Lvl-30 mining aswell to mine pure ess as p2p. As the jagex new says people use to mine ess, sell it and sell the earned gp for real money. Now these people used to earn more than 5$ a month and lvl-30 mining is reached in less then a day. So autoers can just get p2p and sell pure ess for high prices. If they are banned jagex keeps the 5$ but the autoer made his cash too. If we install a random block at the mine ess teleport the autoers cannot mine anymore. Less cash for jagex but no cash for the autoers... :evil:

Retired from RS...

Stopped playing with 1503 Total, February '07

~~Die, die,die my Darling... Just shut your pretty eyes~~

The price on the runes made from "pure ess" will rise, such as chaos, nats, deaths. But if they rise then the rune stores will just be bought out 24/7. The best thing for a member to do would be to make many Nature runes, since they cannot be bought in F2P rune shops, and then since the price will rise on those and members are the only solution the members can make more money. The "normal ess" will drop in price at the beginning since people are madly trying to sell ess. It will later rise to purchase because there will be more discouraged ess. miners (less ess. miners) meaning less product and more demand, increasing the price. I am pretty much just rambling on, but all I can say is this was a good update by Jagex. Now the macroers have to become members to macro ess. and as someone said this means more and better updates, and possibly more servers. This could lead to large updates...carpentry...POH's...though that is only a pipe dream.

Kudos on the update Jagex. :D

This person is the only one who I have seen really think about this update. The only people who will really have a problem in the long run will be merchants. It's very sad to see such a good opportunity for free players, such as myself, to cooperate with paying players in a productive way. Or maybe I'm the only one who cares about things like that.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

This has achieved nothing, go to varrock and have a look, plenty of macroers still there.

Ess is what? 30gp each now? Normal Ess will not go down in price, it will either go up or stay the same as Ess. Pure Ess however will be worth more then normal ess. Macroers will still make the same ammount of cash as before.

If Normal Ess does however go down in price (doubt less then 15gp [which is half of what it is now]), this only means that the macroers will only make half of there profits which they make now. To combat this i think they will just make more accounts.

As someone stated before $5 isnt much to a autoer. Lets say they mine 100k ess: 100,000 * 30 = 3,000,000. 3Mil on ebay thats like $45-$60 dollars. Im pretty sure they can spare 5 dollars, i mean i just spent 5 dollars on snacks just before when i could of waited 2 minutes to come home and eat, its not much, and considering they click start and stop and recieve $45-$60, they probably wont care all that much.

This is horrible. While i understand how it will i suppose work to deter ( but not even come close to stopping) macroers, the HAD to have seen the consequences of their actions. I recently just purchased about 60k rune ess and used it all for rune crafting.. imagine my surprise when i find out that the essense i ust bought is now going to be worth half, or even less the price i payed for it. Ok, fine. i can cut my losses, it wasnt too bad.. I cannot even imagine Lim_Dul's frustrations, as a fellow f2p'er... and honestly, all members who just happened to have large sums of ess in their bank just got payed off huge. its already easier for members to make money and train skills and such, and this is just gonna make it that much easier for them.. although, i imagine that is just a happy coincidence on jagex's part, as now it will bring in even more members :roll:..

it is a business however, so i guess they are making a business move. they gain more members which means more money.

congratulations jagex, you figured out a wat to simultaniously take gp out of f2p players' pockets, place it into members pockets, while making other members pay more for crafting runes, and at the same time cause the very f2p players you stole from to pay you 5$ a month for membership.

im impressed. :? no, seriously.

SDAlXLd.png

1543 Skill total, 100% F2P

@ Lim_Dul

I would feel bad for you, but the only people that I see ever have that much ess are autoers. I don't know enough about you to fairly judge, but 300k+ ess? Why buy that much ess? To afford a blue mask? Why didn't you just buy a mask with the cash, instead of wasting it on ess? If you are a nonmember, I highly doubt that you were going to rc it all.

If you are a fair player, then I apologize, but from where I'm standing, I would say that you should be happy that you aren't banned for autoing.

awesome_bloodvelds_siggeh.pngpossiblesig11.png

:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.

Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.

Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.

BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!

@ Lim_Dul

I would feel bad for you, but the only people that I see ever have that much ess are autoers. I don't know enough about you to fairly judge, but 300k+ ess? Why buy that much ess? To afford a blue mask? Why didn't you just buy a mask with the cash, instead of wasting it on ess? If you are a nonmember, I highly doubt that you were going to rc it all.

If you are a fair player, then I apologize, but from where I'm standing, I would say that you should be happy that you aren't banned for autoing.

You have got to be kidding me. So, because he bought something, in a large amount (so as to profit better) and was planning to sell it to turn a profit, he deserves to be banned. For autoing no less. I'm sorry, but I fail to see ONE good reason for that arguement. :roll:

SDAlXLd.png

1543 Skill total, 100% F2P

I personally dont find this update solution to autoers problem.

Dont you hate when you see dozen autoers stealing your rock, or moving around the yew you want to cut? Who really cares about essence, that was the only autoer spot where they didnt steal it from you. So I think this update will change autoers to mine or wc more. I hope not in the name of all RS community...but still. I dont know why jagex doesnt use some kind of cookies and IP loggers to see autoers. We all know its impossible for some human to mine essence for like 8 hours per day!

@ Lim_Dul

this is wad u call investment.. if u juz stash ur cash @ what ever u want to buy.. what do you think banks and financial institution exist in real life? He buy cheap ess (@ cost price) and sell it for a bit higher (@ selling price)

And when u take higher selling price minus lower cost price, u get profit.. hence.. from his 9.3m it mite double up to be 18.6m.. repeat for a couple of times... a blue mask mite juz be within his reach..

hmm.. this is one huge update where hordes of pple are affected..

i think jagex should let f2p have pure ess if they have a high enough mining lvl like 55 or something like that. now autoers are gonna start mining iron and coal and woodcutting more etc and the price for those things will go down as well

nadsiggeh2cw3.png

(\/) 42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

(O.o) cabbage rools

(><) my sig is cool, if you agree put this in your sig. *is too lazy to animate*

^the bunny is back! yay!

@ Lim_Dul

A long time friend of mine had been buying ess and trading for rares for the past couple weeks with overwhelming success. He had more than doubled his money and obtained two green masks as well as a santa hat.

After seeing his gains, I figured I would try to recreate them for myself. I went to world 1 Varrock east bank yesterday, and bought ess for 25 gp each. Then I offered 369k rune ess for a blue halloween mask, here on the tip.it forums. I received a private message, accepting my trade, and was planning to exchange my ess for the mask today.

This would have been a sizeable profit, but instead, I logged in today to find not only had the deal fallen through, but my ess were now virtually worthless. The gp lost in this transaction took me well over a year to earn, and now i'm just SOL.

If you look at my previous posts, no one was more outspoken about the macroing problem than me, yet now I am the one who suffers most at the hands of Jagex's 'solution' to autoers. This update does little to combat the macroing problem, but it has destroyed countless hours of my work.

This is the worst turn of events imagineable for me.

31509signature.gif

isnt it obvious why jagex is doing this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! its 4/20 day cmon guys use ur brains lol

nadsiggeh2cw3.png

(\/) 42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

(O.o) cabbage rools

(><) my sig is cool, if you agree put this in your sig. *is too lazy to animate*

^the bunny is back! yay!

@ Lim_Dul

Ever heard of merchanting?

[sig too big, don't do it again]

hey lim_dul dont worry i know how u feel. i mean i might not have bought as much as u but money is money especially in f2p. and to whoever that was saying he was an autoer or macroer or whatever just because he has over 300k, the only reason why i think he did this is well... 5gp per essence is nothing therefore u need alot to make a profit. personally if i had the money i woulda bought just as much as u did...if i didnt know they were gonna change it to useless essence