Time for rares to go

paulhartman

do you not understand that it is because of rares that we can keep other items at moderate prices??? Billions of gp is put into the market every day from high alching, and that is very apparent in the rise of the rare prices. If the rares did not absorb these billions of gps, prices would skyrocket. why do u think jagex made construction? to try to get rid of some of the money from high alch. If u got rid of the rares, millions would be left in the market that would not be absorbed.

Getting rid of rares= BAD idea

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK fine rares don't add anything to the game. WHAT EXACTLY DO THEY SUBTRACT FROM YOUR PLAY?

If you can answer that then maybe I will have some basis to agree with you. Other then that, and this is in the best communication, spelling, and grammar I can muster for someone that is totally clueless. SHUT UP!

BTW I am NOT a 16 yo kid, I have owned, lost and sold a few rares but am not a merchant, and you should check high scores before you start chatting about who owns rares and the skills they have. I know for certain that 3 of the top 10 (or 20, high scores have moved around a bit since construction) have hat SETS, mask SETS, and other rares in their bank.

Have a nice day.

G

After reading some more I have more to say. You come off as somehow more intelligent then the rest because you write more and make complete sentences but you say the same things they are saying to you. "Stupid idiot don't you see I am right?"

One of many points you made is if Jagex liked/understood/wanted rares why haven't they made more. Um lets see first there were drag meds, then clues, then legs, then chains, then...... THEY HAVE **** <---put your favorite derogatory term there.

One last thing here is THE solution for you. You are no longer allowed to sell anything for gp, you cannot buy anything. You aren't even allowed to trade items for something. Everything you have purchased with gp up til now sell back. ONLY wear or use items you can make or have been dropped for you personally. Now YOU no longer care what I, or anyone else buys or sells anything on rs for because the only cost you see is your time to make things. And yes EVERY skill can be done without gp including construction. It will take years before you see 99 on anything but combat but it can be done.

People it's simple. If you don't have enough money to buy a rare, then don't worry about it. If you'd rather have stat boosting armor rather then rare hats or masks, then go for the armor. Nothing's stopping you. But leave the rares alone. They aren't hurting anyone. Hell, if it wasn't for rares, a hell of a lot of people would have quit runescape a while ago. It gives people a goal to work towards. And it's also a way to show off your wealth. Cause we all know we can't go around trading with everyone in runescape and showing them that 100m you've got.......

Though I do have a solution for the raising rare prices. A shop that sells rares for a certain price, set about 1m-10m over the current rare's price. Though, the shop wouldn't be easy to get to, or easy to get access to. There would be a huge quest that you'd have to complete, mabye similiar to the fight caves or something. But something thin out the low level players. The shop would keep rares in check and around their current prices. And because of the fact that the shop would be hard to get to, it would make it still possible to merchant rares, since the price range would actually increse.

That's my oppinion and suggestion on rares.

I think rares are stupid also, I dont get why people get so excited over paper crowns....

Yeah I know, like why old people get excited over one-of-a-kind antiques. Supply and demand.

It is because they are discontinued items, more people want them but not as many people have them and there is NO WAY to get more. Well guess you know why some people are obsessed with antiques xD.

Now, at this point, emotionally immature people will be complaining, âââ¬Ãâyou are just jealous because you donâââ‰â¢t have one,âââ¬Ã

40onagdca1.png

Oh yeah. That's right.

First of all, I have been playing for less than a year and a half, so I was not here for the original drops, nor have I earned enough money to buy any.

But, it is time for the rares to go. They serve no purpose other than to make trouble, see recent construction bug massacre, and to provide forums for ostentatious displays of wealth. None of that is constructive to any real purpose of the game. By their careful attempts to avoid the creation of any more rares, it is clear that Jagex does not believe that the rare markets contribute to the game. So, let us do everyone a favor, and get rid of them.

Now, at this point, emotionally immature people will be complaining, âââ¬Ãâyou are just jealous because you donâââ‰â¢t have one,âââ¬Ã

out of all this garbage you did not give one reason as to why you think rare should be removed (or made 'unrare') other than 'they server no purpose' I can think of no reason to get rid of rares other than to destroy RS

Amen. Right from the start, in the first few posts this question appeared. I think it was Satenza that first posted it, and it is still not answered. WHY should rares be removed?

And paulhartman, your arguments on the "size" of the rares market and it's weight on the RS economy are just ludicrious. Ask any smart economist what drives the world market and he'll have one answer for you. It's not comodities, it's not even oil. It's gold (and other "rares" like diamonds).

Gold in itself has no real value, you can't eat it, it won't drive your engine, not a single practical use. But it has a value given to it by its rarity.

Now how many people in the world own gold in any meaningfull ammounts? 0.0001 percent of the world population? Maybe if we take everyone that owns some gold AT ALL we possibly come to 1% of the world.

Does this statistic make the gold market useless or dispensable? I think not.

And by the way, I'm quite angry at your arguments, I think you're an idiot, my communication skills are fine and I don't own a rare. Where does this leave me on your scale of judging everyone who replies to you, oh Grand Master Communication Teacher?

manytradesur7.png

Current goals: Going for 80 80 80.

Recent goals achieved: 70 70 70 done.

Major Achievement: Fire Cape at 79 combat.

1) Make the rares untradable. This is not my favorite, but it would work. No one loses anything.

2) Just make all rares disappear. Not a good idea. Even I donâââ‰â¢t support that one.

3) Set up a shop selling rares for 25gp each. Not a bad idea, but not my favorite either. Since their high alc value is only 1gp, 25gp is asking much more than they are worth; but no plan is perfect. Now, everyone can have a rare, and no one will get their feelings hurt over losing one; they just go to the shop for a new one.

4) And my favorite, have mods start selling rares into the market. This, of course, will drive prices down. But, the mods still sell, driving down prices farther. Since mods have an infinite number of rares to sell, they can keep selling until the rares fall to a price that seems reasonable, say, 100gp each. I love the idea, but Jagex would get a lot of heat for intentionally forcing the market down. So, it is not politically correct or acceptable for them, but it would be fun to watch.

Let me compare this to something less abstract so you can undertsand.

If I own a Ferrari Enzo, the real thrill of driving the car doesn't come from the speed. There are other, cheaper cars that can go as fast or faster than a Ferrari Enzo. The thrill doesn't even mostly come from how it looks. The real enjoyment that comes from owning something like that comes from the fact that almost nobody else has one. There is a limited supply of them, and not many people have them, so if -I- have one that makes me better than everybody else ... at least in one respect. If rares were reduced in price to the point that everybody could have one, they wouldn't exactly be "rares" anymore, now would they. The name itself embodies the feeling. They are fun to have because they are rare. Whatever, if I go on anymore I'll be talking in circles.

To finish off my little comparison, let's just say ... if -everyone- could afford a Ferrai Enzo, then they wouldn't be as much fun to have, and the people who had them in the first place would be extremely resentful.

40onagdca1.png

Oh yeah. That's right.

Yes, basically you are crying because you cant afford a rare, get over it, they wont disappear.

Personally, They hold NO value to me.

I have a few Party hats, along with an assortment of other "rares" as well.

ALL of my phats have NEVER seen another account aside from mine because they were all obtained from crackers christmas day. The same goes for almost every ther rare I own.

In my eyes, rares like my Phats are priceless because it holds a sentimental value. They are worthless in GP to me, as i will NEVER sell them.

If jagex suddenly made them all dissapear I would probably quite because my phats are one of my most valued items for how long i have had them.

Along with that I have one of the 1st rune sqs ever smithed in RS...its not THE first, but Its one of the 1st 10 smithed...thats another thing i will never sell.

Some things are worth more then money to people. Someone could offer me 10 bill for one of my hats, and i garantee I would turn it down. I could make money anytime i want....I would NEVER be able to get MY at back again.

I hold pride in the fact that almost all of my rares have NEVER seen another accound in their rs history :) (the only rares that have bought are 10 of my santas that I bought for investment purposes since I dont play rs much anymore)

Anyways, rares arent going anywere...and new players are more eager to get them once they learn about them because they are a part of runescape history and it gives them a large goal to work for.

sig1178ko.jpg

Sykoknight - 1900 skill total - 132+ combat

Fighting High Scores from late 2001 - Ranked 1894

Prayer High Scores from March 2002 - Ranked 749

Ya, I've been around too long.

3) Set up a shop selling rares for 25gp each. Not a bad idea, but not my favorite either. Since their high alc value is only 1gp, 25gp is asking much more than they are worth; but no plan is perfect. Now, everyone can have a rare, and no one will get their feelings hurt over losing one; they just go to the shop for a new one.

But this would mean that they wouldnt be a rare would it?

think before you post.

unknown4465.png

viebn6.gif

wow. another person who cant deal with never being able to own a party hat. rares are a central part of the economy, and are here to stay. the game you be extremely f*&$ed if rares were taken out. jagex will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever even consider taking rares out of the game. or try to fiddle with the amount in game. so, make like every other noob out there, and deal with the fact the in the near future, you wont be owning a rare.

Stallion4589.png

paintdry6yn.png

forceny5.png

Haven't played RuneScape since 12 january 2007 and it feels great :)

i didnt think j mods can participate in trades... but ur just a whining git who won't get over the fact u can't own a phat, and ur driving ur aggrivation on us. so just shut it, and quit. go in the fetal position while ur at it :roll:

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

Sorry kiddo, if the lollipop has risen in price, think about your teeth and buy a gum.

The day they take away my item-goals with those methods, ill quit.

I agree about that editing holiday items is terrible idea, but what does lollipop have anything to do with this topic or with the game at all?

First of all, I have been playing for less than a year and a half, so I was not here for the original drops, nor have I earned enough money to buy any.

But, it is time for the rares to go. They serve no purpose other than to make trouble, see recent construction bug massacre, and to provide forums for ostentatious displays of wealth. None of that is constructive to any real purpose of the game. By their careful attempts to avoid the creation of any more rares, it is clear that Jagex does not believe that the rare markets contribute to the game. So, let us do everyone a favor, and get rid of them.

magecape,Mo%20Gui%20Gui.gif

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

The search button is your friend :x

And no. its not gonna happen, so stop worrying about something that doesn't effect u in any way.... u don't want one and can't get one so whats ure problem?

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"