Tip.It Times Presents: Construction; Deflation or Not?

oddfaery2

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

Construction - Deflation or Not?

Duke Freedom

With the recent introduction of Construction, the whole RuneScape economy was turned upside down. The last time an update had as big an influence on the game's economy as now was when RuneScape 2 came out...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I got an image stuck in my head of a group of J Mods gathering around a frantic Andrew holding a calculator and writing notes on a pad of paper :D .

Very interesting

lol :lol: intersting article i dont spend much on conscrution however only lvl 25 :)

Brilliant article Duke Freedom, thanks very much :D

sigstuff4qe.png

I don't know what it is, but something keeps telling me you "own"?

"When you're happy it's like you're a bird; you can fly. The only trouble is, you need other birds to fly with"

Error - The second graph is mislabeled (the link to it should say "Graph of Other Rares", but it says "Graph of Party Hats" just like the first one.

Yeah, third one as well as that one is about the indexed graphs of both rares and the total gp ingame. :P

You forgot to include the cost of Gold Leafs, Marble and Magic stones in your calculation.

Yes I know - but how many people really use them? Most people seem to level using oak, which only drains 5.8gp / exp (that is including the most expensive servant already) and is still significantly lower then the 8gp / exp rate I actually used in my calculations. I know there are people using mahogany and even spending cash on the Gold Leafs, Marble and Magic stones - but would they really be putting the average gp spend / exp gained up by more then the 2.2gp I took to compensate that?

just wondering where the numbers came from :S, and what kind of economics background Duke has.

Apart from self-study on economics, some basic courses on economics (that didn't teach me much that I didn't already know :P) and quite long experience with RuneScape's economy - I don't really have an economical background. I do study applied mathematics though, which focusses on the modelling and (reasonably) simplifying of complex systems to more analysable models - which is a lot like what I do in these articles. :)

Great Article as always Duke, I was just wondering what you think is the best rare to invest in atm, hope to hear more from you in the future.

Well, as I said, smaller rares did very well the past 4 months. However, in opposite to what most people usually think when you that, something that recently rose a lot is generally not a good item to buy for the short-term future. ;)

Santas at 4.5mill?! Whats with that there like 11mill the last time I looked?

They are currently 11.5mil, take another peak at my graphs as they do show that ^^. The 4.5mil your looking at is the pumpkin I think, which is actually 4mil. :?

Thanks for the positive reactions everyone. :)

and mask sets (~20mil) will be approaching or passing 70mil a set. Santa hats (~4.5mil) will probably pass 15mil, easter eggs (~1.8mil) and pumpkins (~2mil) will be going over 5mil. Lastly, disks (~3.7mil) will approach or pass 10mil.

Mask sets are much more than 20 mill, and Santas are much more as you know than 4.5mill! Those errors need to be fixed! :wink:

and mask sets (~20mil) will be approaching or passing 70mil a set. Santa hats (~4.5mil) will probably pass 15mil, easter eggs (~1.8mil) and pumpkins (~2mil) will be going over 5mil. Lastly, disks (~3.7mil) will approach or pass 10mil.

Mask sets are much more than 20 mill, and Santas are much more as you know than 4.5mill! Those errors need to be fixed! :wink:

You're talking about the other article now - that was written 4 months ago :P... And yes mask sets were 20mil then santa's were 4.5mil then ^^.

You're talking about the other article now - that was written 4 months ago :P... And yes mask sets were 20mil then santa's were 4.5mil then ^^.

Now how the hell did I get onto that article! :lol:

Sorry about that Duke. Mods can edit this waste of posting space out if they wish! :wink:

Very nice article :)

Little error I found: the link to the graph of small rares is also called graph of party hats.

Also, interesting find that the rare prices almost solely depend on the inflation! I really thought that the fact that they get rarer and rarer, while more and more people enter the game, would have a more important influence on their prices.

This would make rares in RS something like gold bars are in real life: something that follows the inflation.

Runescape: Lodev (Combat level been fixed at 101 for years now, Total level 1500+, playing since march 2002)

Arenascape: Lode (Level 240+ Warlock)