is the dragon chain really anything special anymore?

fearspudgod

Even stil Zero, look at my calculations. You would have 3049.999999995 hours of training with a Barrows plate with the 18.3m you'd have left over, that's a LOT of training, a lot more than you would need to max out.

And THANK YOU Syko, I appreciate somebody getting my back for once.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I traded my drag chain for a blue party hat right after they made Queen harder to solo :D

The first chain did take several hours to get though, I remember going back there several hours into update and people still thought the drag drop was scimmy. I claim the first lava staff drop though, got the drop somehow over the 60 people there, and posted on tipit within the hour.

Too bad JaGex ruined lava staffs as well as chains :(

Some people don't like to have to spend maintennance money on their armor.

Hmm, lets do the math...

Dragon Chain: Retail Price: 19.5m

Torag Plate Body: Retail Price: 1.2m

(Note: Both of these were found on the RuneScape.com forums just now)

That means that you're paying an extra 18.3m to basically... have worse stats at the benefit of not having to pay for repairs?

Okay okay, so there HAS to be a reason people would get this! Lets look at it. I mean, repairs seem to be so expensive, they are being portrayed as these huge payments to no one, but... wait a minute, 90k to repair a body? That isn't as much as they make it sound... okay okay, lets brake this down some more! They have to be right in that it's more expensive with the Torag Plate, don't they?

18,300,000 / 90,000 = 203.33333 repairs. So...

203.33333 * 15 (hours) = 3049.999999999995 hours of using Torag (at 90k per repair)

So for that 18.3m that you aren't spending on that dragon chain, you could get 127 days worth of training with that torag plate.

Wow, Torag does seem like a better option. But wait! It gets better! Thanks to the new POH Workshop, at level 55 Construction, you can cut your repair costs in half! That's right! Now you have 254 days with that armor! But wait, there's more! That's 69.6% of a year! And that's playing 24 hours a day! Wow... so again, why would you want a dragon chain? Oh yeah, because you're greedy and you want to show off your ability to scam people, great move, ya swell person.

dragon chain vs torag = longevity(sp?)

a drag chain just looks so much better, and it can be worn without any idea of spending $ if a swarm attacks you.

i understand where u are comming from completly, but 1, torag looks ugly 2, people could melee 15 hours straight and then have to fix it...thats a waiste of leavin a spot

and yeah well is their really a different in torag plate vs dragon chain? i mean honestly is that 20-30 def points going to get me killed? at 90+ def i doubt it...

looking good is a part of it to.

and no, the chain means nothing now really. i see people who have them who are like, omg im richer then u, im like omg im 40 combat lvls over you... spending all ur time on world 2 sure isnt how this game was meant to be played

Oh yeah, because you're greedy and you want to show off your ability to scam people, great move, ya swell person.

Was that scam part directed at merchanters?
awesomeaa9.png

Hmm, lets do the math...

That means that you're paying an extra 18.3m to basically... have worse stats at the benefit of not having to pay for repairs?

Okay okay, so there HAS to be a reason people would get this! Lets look at it. I mean, repairs seem to be so expensive, they are being portrayed as these huge payments to no one, but... wait a minute, 90k to repair a body? That isn't as much as they make it sound... okay okay, lets brake this down some more! They have to be right in that it's more expensive with the Torag Plate, don't they?

203.33333 * 15 (hours) = 3049.999999999995 hours of using Torag (at 90k per repair)

So for that 18.3m that you aren't spending on that dragon chain, you could get 127 days worth of training with that torag plate.

Wow, Torag does seem like a better option. But wait! It gets better! Thanks to the new POH Workshop, at level 55 Construction, you can cut your repair costs in half! That's right! Now you have 254 days with that armor! But wait, there's more! That's 69.6% of a year! And that's playing 24 hours a day! Wow... so again, why would you want a dragon chain? Oh yeah, because you're greedy and you want to show off your ability to scam people, great move, ya swell person.

And u are good! =D>

Hmm, lets do the math...

well, here's the thing. People who have a dragon chain, either:

a) have it to show off their wealth, which makes sense, being the most expensive piece of armor in the game. (even though I'd use a mask for this) By the way it is possible to obtain 19.5 million gp without scamming. I've done it a few times myself.

OR

B) they use it to train combat. This makes sense too, as it's the best armor that you can get without having to pay for repairs on it.

Now we have this to consider: If you buy a dragon chain today for 19.5mil, and train with it for 120 hours over the next month, you can sell it for nearly the same price you bought it for. If you did the same with torag, you would have to pay 720k to a npc for all the maintainance, which you lose no matter what, added on to the price difference if it drops in that time. And I am pretty sure the dragon chain doesn't drop 720k in price every month.

Now for the reduced costs, that depends on your smithing level. you pay normal price at level 1, and a little less for each level after that, and about half of the normal price at 99. But check this out:

hiscores7fw.png

According to the highscores, only 260 people have 99 smithing. It's more reasonable to say that most people deciding between dragon and barrows have probably around 50-70 smithing. So their discount will be around 25-35%, which is still better than nothing. But you should know it's not always half.

theres a guide for fire capes for lvl 65's now. They arent anything specail either anymore.

No, thats not true, that guide would not work for a level ***60***, thats lower than you think..The cape is still very special and very hard to get..I'm 97 Combat and I haven't been able to get it

EDIT: Cwolf2, how would you know that?? You couldn't possibly know the first person to aquire dragon chain, your second picture proves nothing -.-

actually it does prove anything , if u dont start to talk cabbage right away :roll:

a dragon chain is just something that fits full dragon .. it will be a matter of time before the chain drops low

Hmm, lets do the math...

dragon chain vs torag = longevity(sp?)

a drag chain just looks so much better, and it can be worn without any idea of spending $ if a swarm attacks you.

i understand where u are comming from completly, but 1, torag looks ugly 2, people could melee 15 hours straight and then have to fix it...thats a waiste of leavin a spot

and yeah well is their really a different in torag plate vs dragon chain? i mean honestly is that 20-30 def points going to get me killed? at 90+ def i doubt it...

looking good is a part of it to.

and no, the chain means nothing now really. i see people who have them who are like, omg im richer then u, im like omg im 40 combat lvls over you... spending all ur time on world 2 sure isnt how this game was meant to be played

=;

Since when was this game a fashion show? Jesus, get a grip!

sig3xj6.png

newbankofrsyq0.gif

^^ Support it or get confused by pixel-mess :D

i agree with QueenValerie i also have a chain and well i dont like to see a lvl 80 walking with it but he bought it or had it as a drop i did fight with guthans and its nice but the chain still has a special look but its stupit that people are lowering prices they dropt fast after construction i think they should stay at 20Mill i bought 1 chain and got 1 chain as a drop after killing 25 dust devils im 106 combat now and tried to get fire cape but its very hard but i must say chain will never be beaten i mean they can trow new armor in the game but it aint the same as dragon

chain - 20Mill hard to get as a drop

legs - strongest dragons in game holds them

med - okey maybe not this item

shield - 2 pieces just cool to make the shield

skirt - same as legs

barrows is little bit the same but after 100 rounds you have some good armor from barrows and i dont get a dragon drop every 3 days...

rozzbow1073ex.jpg

i think the amount of money people have noadays is stupid.

there is a tank called lets say mr tank (i cant say his real name) who has several chains and 60 def at 27 combat.

it is so easy to get a chain nowadays that the novelty value of them has worn off.

i think jagex should release a new dragon armour peice that is harder to obtain.

99 Construction and proud!

Still don't know how to post images... -.-

Nope nothing special and not all that useful.

Bad investment as well. However they are the best item in the game to hunt for money as almost every player has a set of full dragon as a goal.

I stick to rock shell myself.

sigtsg99rscaz7.png

The Slayers Guild a Slayer Clan led by Axe Man Jack

Proud to have written the most plagiarized Slayer guide on the planet.

i know who your talking of ive seeen him in the fishing guild.

to me dragon chains still look nice and i will buy one when i have the cash.

but i will also have barrows so whats he problem?

if you have both it doesnt really matter

dude whats bad about having a chain at level 80, even level 70, even 60 for f s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it shows u actually worked for it instead of sleeping and walking around rs doing nothing, i personally have around 18mill, 1 mill short of chain , and dam hell i worked hard for them!

2nddraftqt6.jpg

Join the sodb now!

Thanks to misterxman for the great avatar!

Whenever I see someone walking down the streets with Dragon Chain I do not stop and go "Wowwy! I sure wish I had that! Boy I sure do envy that person." There are more important things than just their armor (such as combat level, other stats, and attitude). Perhaps it could be because we've experienced this game to such a level and gained such a knowledge to know that Dragon Chain isn't that great of a piece of equipment, perhaps we've grown accustomed to seeing it being worn by every Tom and Harry walking around Falador Park. Whatever the real reason for it I simply know that seeing Dragon Chain does not give me a thrill or a zeal for the game and a desire to posses it as it would have when I first began to play the game.

ya i must admit it's not that great about it anymore, but after 4 years of playing runescape i'm sick of rune plate, honestly, i like d chain even tho it doesnt have much better stats, and it's so different to rune plate (looks i'm talking about) and it still shows how hard u worked for it, whether it be $$ or from a drop, and i still don't like using barrows armour, may be cheaper, but i hate having to constantly pay up for repairs, i only use it if i'm training for a level and i'd pay money for getting that level up for sure, if it meant cutting my training time in half (a.k.a. full dharoks on low hp at shadows) but honestly, i think barrows looks really old and ugly, whereas dragon looks colourful and awesome, even tho it's worse stats than barrows armour, and u dont have to pay for repairs :P

2vuhgcn.png

Oh yeah, because you're greedy and you want to show off your ability to scam people, great move, ya swell person.

Was that scam part directed at merchanters?

I really do hope so.. I'm 101 Combat and Currently Saving for Dragon Chain.. I'm sure my stats are higher than most people at my combat. I've not done that to be a skiller. I've done it so I can make multiple Incomes. I will never Merchant to get my Chain.

mazurizi.png

you all wait untill the dragon pl8 boddy is going to be released (if that ever gana hapen) thats going to be like a least a 100mill even afther 1 or 2months if they are hard to get. you can buy a lot of barrows and barrow repairs for that money :?

(note: only if the boddy is like only droped rarely by a 300+ monster even harder then the kq)

seasonmovingsig1bo.jpg

i completely agree man, i remember back in the good old days before whatever 300 million gold party hats and crap, it used to be hard to get some of this stuff. dragon chains on the day they came out, i remember talking to the guy who got the first d chain, and it actualy meant something, it was a huge status symbol, but now it means nothing. Runescape is going downhill. its needs a revolution, and it needs something big to set it back on track. we need a dupe, we need major hackings, ban me for saying this, but runescape money is totaly devalued, u make it by alching, theres an endless supply coming into runescape but not enough going out. something big hasta happen, otherwsie this game is gonna turn to crap.

i think chains should be cheaper than legs because its a chain body not a plate body, and i remenber i topic on here a few months ago where a guy sold his chain and legs to a store(fally i think) then bought them and the legs were suprisingly 80k more :-k

addymzammyvest,rickster2005.gif

newscape350x19yi5.gif

i completely agree man, i remember back in the good old days before whatever 300 million gold party hats and crap, it used to be hard to get some of this stuff. dragon chains on the day they came out, i remember talking to the guy who got the first d chain, and it actualy meant something, it was a huge status symbol, but now it means nothing. Runescape is going downhill. its needs a revolution, and it needs something big to set it back on track. we need a dupe, we need major hackings, ban me for saying this, but runescape money is totaly devalued, u make it by alching, theres an endless supply coming into runescape but not enough going out. something big hasta happen, otherwsie this game is gonna turn to crap.

money is going out by construction just theres to many alchers around making more and more money come in

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

It would mean more to me if people actually worked for the money, like a friend of mine bought a santa a few weeks ago, and last night sold for 16.6mil.. thats 8.5mill cash that he didnt work for at all..

It's not that hard to even get one from KQ with the invention of Veracks... you no longer need big groups of meleers and archers now 'cause of hitting through prayer.

It used to be either mega rich, or really powerful.. now it's 1) You can afford veracks, or 2) you can afford to invest a couple of million, and 3-4 weeks later, get over double your income back. :notalk:

Grr, I despise merchenting as a way of money earning! Fair enough if people made their money from actual skills, but not from rares. *Waits to become head of jagex and make rares untradeable*

92/99 Fishing | 119/120 Combat | 92/99 Firemaking | 94/99 Fletching | 1878/1900 Total | 85/85 Slayer | 80/80 Prayer

5389_08e10c.png

7476_125ca6.png