is the dragon chain really anything special anymore?

fearspudgod

well, back in the day, if you saw a dragon chain it was on a level 120+ and it ment they were A. mega rich or B. an awesome KQ killer, but as i walk around world 2 everywhere i look there is a level 70,80,90 with a dragon chain. Is the chain anything special anymore? it seems like any half ... merchant can get one now. so you tell me, when you see a d chain now, do you think it is anything special?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... now it can always be paired with a fire cape. That shows that they're both rich and skilled in combat.

But just the d chain doesn't mean as much anymore, but it does show their effort in getting the money to buy that one piece of armor.

KwimSigFinal-1.png?t=1304744327

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

[hide]YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

- See You, Space Cowboy.[/hide][/hide]

When I first saw a Dragon Chain, I was like that is so cool and awesome. But now after seeing it so many times and so much, I'm just kinda... used to it. I don't really see it as all-powerful anymore. Still think it looks cool and is a cool thing to have. But I'm not in much of a rush to get one anymore. I always got my red mask if I feel a need.

Noctis666.png

I still see it as an acheivement, but not like back in the days. The days when people would see someone wearing a chain and would say nice chain. Nobody does that anymore, too many people walking around runescape with chains. :(

But as Kwimbob mentioned, there's still the fire cape :wink: .

fastforce.png

lunarvu1.png

Due to d chains dropping and basically all these def pures coming in, I guess the d chain isn't anything special anymore. Man I saw a lvl 54 wearing one just three days ago :| .

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Guest Mr_Man

d chains r a waste of money. y would i wanna pay 19mil for something wen i could get something better for 1mil. its a big difference. And, for the people wearing chains for looks its really nothing special nemore. if u were a def pure u could prolly b lvl 40 and if u had the money, wear a d chain

Some people don't like to have to spend maintennance money on their armor.

Hmm, lets do the math...

Dragon Chain: Retail Price: 19.5m

Torag Plate Body: Retail Price: 1.2m

(Note: Both of these were found on the RuneScape.com forums just now)

That means that you're paying an extra 18.3m to basically... have worse stats at the benefit of not having to pay for repairs?

Okay okay, so there HAS to be a reason people would get this! Lets look at it. I mean, repairs seem to be so expensive, they are being portrayed as these huge payments to no one, but... wait a minute, 90k to repair a body? That isn't as much as they make it sound... okay okay, lets brake this down some more! They have to be right in that it's more expensive with the Torag Plate, don't they?

18,300,000 / 90,000 = 203.33333 repairs. So...

203.33333 * 15 (hours) = 3049.999999999995 hours of using Torag (at 90k per repair)

So for that 18.3m that you aren't spending on that dragon chain, you could get 127 days worth of training with that torag plate.

Wow, Torag does seem like a better option. But wait! It gets better! Thanks to the new POH Workshop, at level 55 Construction, you can cut your repair costs in half! That's right! Now you have 254 days with that armor! But wait, there's more! That's 69.6% of a year! And that's playing 24 hours a day! Wow... so again, why would you want a dragon chain? Oh yeah, because you're greedy and you want to show off your ability to scam people, great move, ya [wagon].

theres a guide for fire capes for lvl 65's now. They arent anything specail either anymore.

not like too many ppl in the 60s actually have fire capes........ maybe 2...3 max?

timeoutsmad.png

DK Drops: 65 Rings, 9 Muds, 44 Axes, 8 Seers

Dragon Drops : 2 Chains, 2 Legs, 2 Skirts, 9 Meds, 6 Halves, 1 Spear, 20 Axes, 9 Boots

God Wars Drops : 3 B Hilts, 1 Z Hilt, 3 B Boots, 1 A Skirt, 1 A Chest, 4 B Tops, 1 B Tasset, 1 Steam, 7 Shards

Well let's look at it this way. More and more people reach the levels where they can kill Dust Devils, the KBD, and the KQ. The more people who are slaying them, the more likely a chain is to be introduced into the world.

The Chain still signifies something great about you, that you've made your millions, that you're an amazing combatant. Now the only problem with it is that there are more powerful armor out there which shows that you are either incredibly rich to afford it all, very lucky to have gotten it all, AND that you are very rich to be actively using it. Barrows armor is shown to be better because it has a higher requirement (granted just because something has a higher price tag doesn't always mean it is better, but in this case it holds true).

I myself will probably never advance beyond a Rune plate unless a Dragon chain is received as a drop for myself or I one day decide that I want to do some Barrows and I end up with full Barrows armor (I can't even name all of the brothers!) Rune Plate also "Meant" something back in the day but better armors and better quests were released which basically devalued Runite armor to something that level 40 players were receiving easily.

Whenever I see someone walking down the streets with Dragon Chain I do not stop and go "Wowwy! I sure wish I had that! Boy I sure do envy that person." There are more important things than just their armor (such as combat level, other stats, and attitude). Perhaps it could be because we've experienced this game to such a level and gained such a knowledge to know that Dragon Chain isn't that great of a piece of equipment, perhaps we've grown accustomed to seeing it being worn by every Tom and Harry walking around Falador Park. Whatever the real reason for it I simply know that seeing Dragon Chain does not give me a thrill or a zeal for the game and a desire to posses it as it would have when I first began to play the game.

1000 Posts! It feels good!

I just remembered that I had a picture from the first person to every have the privilage of owning such a piece of armor. This was before Dragon Legs, and before the lava cape. I remember this day clearly, and I personally know that this is the first chain ever aquired (note that it's NOT me!).

dragonchain.jpg

And to prove it's not fake:

dragonchaindetails.png

theres a guide for fire capes for lvl 65's now. They arent anything specail either anymore.

No, thats not true, that guide would not work for a level ***60***, thats lower than you think..The cape is still very special and very hard to get..I'm 97 Combat and I haven't been able to get it

EDIT: Cwolf2, how would you know that?? You couldn't possibly know the first person to aquire dragon chain, your second picture proves nothing -.-

All Quests completed

99 Thieving achieved on January 10th, 2008

99 Defense achieved on August 3rd, 2008

85 Slayer achieved on July 31st, 2008

6 Dragon boot drops, 14 Whip drops

Okay, I'm sorry bobby, but this was taken the DAY of the release, just 6 hours after it, actually. Sure, there's PLENTY of time for others to get it, but this was the first one posted here. Why can't you new people be more like we were back in rs1?

No, thats not true, that guide would not work for a level ***60***, thats lower than you think..The cape is still very special and very hard to get..I'm 97 Combat and I haven't been able to get it

EDIT: Cwolf2, how would you know that?? You couldn't possibly know the first person to aquire dragon chain, your second picture proves nothing -.-

That pic is of magpie9 who was infact the first known person to have received the dragon chain. The only exception would be someone getting a chain before him and not telling anyone about it or trying to sell it or anything, which i highly doubt.

Anyways, On topic. I used to really want a drag chain, so i bought one (quiet a while back). Had it for about 2 days and realized it stats were horrible for the millions I paid and i could just spend that money on something useful like skills, so i sold it.

Now I use my gunthans set which has more defense bonus then dragon armor ever dreamed of, AND i never need food.

Add in my construction workshop to cut repairs in half and things look even better.

sig1178ko.jpg

Sykoknight - 1900 skill total - 132+ combat

Fighting High Scores from late 2001 - Ranked 1894

Prayer High Scores from March 2002 - Ranked 749

Ya, I've been around too long.

The cost is dependent on your Smithing level. If your Smithing level is 1, the cost will be nearly the same as normal. With 99 Smithing, your repair cost will be practically half the normal cost.

All of you saying it halves the cost of repairs, I kind of doubt many of you have 99 smithing? :roll:

Thieving is another skill that simply unlocks things for you