asians...

amazizing333

I've lived in South East Asia for 5 or so years and had alot of asian friends but I honestly can't tell the difference between a Japanese and Chinese person from just looking at them, why should it matter? Can you tell an American from an Australian just by looking at them? (Not hearing them talk lol).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in South East Asia for 5 or so years and had alot of asian friends but I honestly can't tell the difference between a Japanese and Chinese person from just looking at them, why should it matter? Can you tell an American from an Australian just by looking at them? (Not hearing them talk lol).

Well dont quote me on this, but I have clues.

Chinese people especially the guys have a slightly flatter face, with pronounced cheekbones and with a pale yellowish color.

The Japanese have rounder faces with a slightly pinkish tinge.

Most chinese/viet/related girls I know have long hair. Most Japanese girls I know like to have a shorter hairstyle.

In all honesty, I cant distinguish between peoples from indonesia, malaysia and the phillipines though. :-k

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

Well dont quote me on this, but I have clues.

Chinese people especially the guys have a slightly flatter face, with pronounced cheekbones and with a pale yellowish color.

The Japanese have rounder faces with a slightly pinkish tinge.

Most chinese/viet/related girls I know have long hair. Most Japanese girls I know like to have a shorter hairstyle.

In all honesty, I cant distinguish between peoples from indonesia, malaysia and the phillipines though. :-k

Ugh Indonesia..public toilets at some dock place..gave me a fear of public toilets :oops: I seriously cant use public toilets after walking into that one :cry:

Yeah now you mention those though, I can sort of tell the difference but only if I'm looking for it and I'm normally not as it doesn't matter :P

I can tell the difference between most orientals, being part chinese myself, also can distinguish between most africans. I could probably tell between pakistani, indian and bangladeshi/bengali but make mistakes. I can tell more about all those by surnames but hey can't everyone. I only use this as a conversation starter though.. :D

I wouldn't have known any of this though had it not been for my friends lol.

657757fr7.png

SHH HUT YUH MUH. DERKHED.

asians rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they will rule the world and everyone else in the plante and make them all make and watch anime for an eternity because they know the secrets of life they are the best thing since runescape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

creeper%205000.gif

creeper%205000.gif

Eh...I can tell Chinese apart from Japanese...usually.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it matters how well people can tell where you're cultural background is from based on yours looks. I mean, hell, we're in America. I don't really care where you come from.

You also have to understand how most caucasians are used to thinking. For instance, we have different hair colors, eye colors, and skin qualities (such as freckles) that make one's heritage much easier to distinguish.

w/e

I really don't understand how people can be offended by other people misjudging your heritage. I'm basically French in my background, but if someone called me German, I wouldn't give a dam. I mean seriuosly. If they called me Asian, well, that'd just be hilarious.

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

I happen to be asian. Ethnically Chinese, actually (born here).

(Where I live it's mostlyWhite/Asian; and quite a few kids who have one asian parent and one white one.. By Asian i mean Oriental, quite a few South Asians too.)

Usually the white kids get confused while the asians can easily tell.. It usually isn't a racist thing, though there are exceptions..

Also it's irritating when people naturally assume you're good at math and stuff.. I'm horrible at it.

- - - - - - - - - -

I can't tell to be honest. Sometimes I can but it's hard.

I've been mistaken to be Japanese when I'm Chinese. :oops:

I can, however, tell the difference between people from different parts of China based on their accents when they speak Mandarin or another dialect. :P

Yeah, some people think I'm Korean, lol. Usually then I just play along while they're stuck trying to figure out if I really am or not.

splintercellsheepzf9.jpg

I can seperate the possibilties of them speaking mandarin/fujianese or cantonese as their main language.

Language is one factor... but there's a lot of dialects than that. Nobody can identify nor learn them all.

'

I'm supposed to know 4 dialects from my parents, however I can only speak one of them{cantonese} and I'm learning the second one {which is mandarin.}

The only that I won't have the chance to learn are Hunanese and Taiwanese.

I've been mistaken to be Japanese when I'm Chinese.

Same thing for me... that's what the Caucasian students always asked me and still don't give a damn about the differences {even though I have a very different Asian background.}

-=Aznhuskarl=- Cleric

-=20Cent=- Juggernaught

More to come...

I can tell between most Asians. The only trouble I really have is picking out the Cantonese from the Hokkien without looking at the names or listening to the language.

But yeah. All of us Asians look the same. It's all part of our grand plot to overthrow the godless white devils and flood their markets with our cheap goods and labour.

i can't tell difference between most races tbh.

but i live in a area where it is 98% white english, so i've not encountered many different races/creeds.

Runescape nick : Fat_Slug

Owner of Ears, Scythe and a 10 year veteran cape :D

It's all part of our grand plot to overthrow the godless white devils and flood their markets with our cheap goods and labour.
ROFL. I'm pretty sure that if I posted a picture of me on here you woudlnt be able tot tell if i were English, American, German, Dutch or South African.. so why do some people take offence when they confuse Chinese, Japanese and Korean for example?

All i know is that Japanese and Korean girls are quite nice ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Merciful, American is not an ethnicity yet :P.

I can tell between Germans, Norwegions, British, French, Spanish, Porteuguese, Irish, Scottish, etc. There are many factors to take into account. I for one am of mixed ancestry of Irish and Cherokee so some people have problems picking out my ethnicity.

There is only ethnicity, there is no race. There is but a human race. Sure, it's hokey, but it's true. We are all the same under the skin, we all bleed the same color, and aside from minor genetics relating to geographical location, our structures are the same.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

There is only ethnicity, there is no race. There is but a human race. Sure, it's hokey, but it's true. We are all the same under the skin, we all bleed the same color, and aside from minor genetics relating to geographical location, our structures are the same.

Makes me wonder what exactly Survivor is trying to pull off in this new season of theirs... :-k

If you've seen their commercials, its like they're trying to justify a difference between the people too. :roll:

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

In all honesty, in today's globalized world, ethnicity and geographical locations aren't the same thing. It's possible to trace your genetics to a specific location, sure, but as to where you're "from"... If you spent your life growing up in a country, isn't that where you're "from" rather than some weird place one of your ancenstors lived in a generation of three ago?

(Possibly not quite relating to the topic, but I thought whoever brought it up on page 1 made an interesting point)

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

Can't and don't really care. My IT Project group for instance, there is me (white), Ahmed (Arabic i believe) and 4 guys of asian origin. None of which are from the same country. But two of which look very similar. I've known from for close to 7 months, and I have no ambition to work it out.

Although I'm quite good at recognising real coastal residents from tourist from the cities :P

In all honesty, in today's globalized world, ethnicity and geographical locations aren't the same thing. It's possible to trace your genetics to a specific location, sure, but as to where you're "from"... If you spent your life growing up in a country, isn't that where you're "from" rather than some weird place one of your ancenstors lived in a generation of three ago?

(Possibly not quite relating to the topic, but I thought whoever brought it up on page 1 made an interesting point)

That's merely a debate between ancestry and nationality.

Ethnic-wise I am Irish, but I have lived in America all my life. Does that make me American or Irish? The answer is both. I am from America, but my background is Irish.

Ethnicity is ancestry. America is a single nation, but has hundreds of ethnicities. All are considered American in a nationalistic sense. But each has thier own geographical and cultural identity that makes up thier ethnicity.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Ethnicity is ancestry. America is a single nation, but has hundreds of ethnicities. All are considered American in a nationalistic sense. But each has thier own geographical and cultural identity that makes up thier ethnicity.

What makes you say that? Personally, I'm by far more inclined to say that ethnicity has more to do with a shared cultural tradition than with genetic phenotypes. Even before I ran "ethnic" through wikipedia and dictionary.com.

And isn't ascribing a cultural identity to people based on looks somewhat prejudiced?

(I've been thinking a lot about this recently, because there's a guy taking classes with me that "looks" Korean. But he speak skÃÆÃâÃâÃÂ¥nska, a swedish dialect assosciated with the southern part of Sweden. Basically, if anyone with that dialect talks fast enough, a fair part our contry's population won't get squat all. It's a very distinctive Swedish dialect.)

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

Merciful, American is not an ethnicity yet :P.

I can tell between Germans, Norwegions, British, French, Spanish, Porteuguese, Irish, Scottish, etc. There are many factors to take into account. I for one am of mixed ancestry of Irish and Cherokee so some people have problems picking out my ethnicity.

Sounds good to me. It can be really hard to tell someone who has American Indian of any tribe in their blood, though, as it's the last thing people think of. I normally do quite well picking out different asian ethnicities, but that is proably because I used to work with a bunch of Indonesians, roomed with some Folk from Japan, and hung out with some folk from Taiwan. College is a great ethnicity educator :wink:

When you are learning, you are growing. If you stop learning, you stop growing. If you stop growing, you die. Train hard, eat fried chicken, and take a one-a-day. (And cook that broccoli 'til it's yella and pour cheese all over it)

slowmethusel.png

What difference does it make to you what country someone is from? Why is skin color so important? To me everyone is a person and I don't try to distinguish people based on this or that. We're all human and that should be good enough for you. It's good enough for me.

I don't really have anything else to add to that.

On a side note, I find it extremely easy to distinguish people from Japan and China, and especially distinguishing between Korean, Japanese and Chinese letters. When you get used to them, it's easy to tell which one is which. :)

European and middle-eastern persons on the other hand are a challenge if you try to guess where they are from. In fact, it is almost impossible since some Europeans are the same ethnicity as people from another country, just with different national borders (example: Belarussians and Russians, or Slovenian and Croatian, or French/Belgian)

What makes you say that? Personally, I'm by far more inclined to say that ethnicity has more to do with a shared cultural tradition than with genetic phenotypes. Even before I ran "ethnic" through wikipedia and dictionary.com.

And isn't ascribing a cultural identity to people based on looks somewhat prejudiced?

(I've been thinking a lot about this recently, because there's a guy taking classes with me that "looks" Korean. But he speak skÃÆÃâÃâÃÂ¥nska, a swedish dialect assosciated with the southern part of Sweden. Basically, if anyone with that dialect talks fast enough, a fair part our contry's population won't get squat all. It's a very distinctive Swedish dialect.)

Never said it was all looks. I also included language, accent, and dialect in there. Cultures are a facet of ethnicity though, not a prime factor.

Untitled.png

The moment I met the Korean and Japenese exchange students at my school, I could easily tell where they were from. I'll admit, for a second I thought the Korean was from China, but I figured it out, it was her accent that gave it away.

I know too much... :anxious: *sigh*

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.