asians...

amazizing333

yes, i am asian. all the kids at my school don't know if i'm chinese, japanese, korean, or the other types of asians, it gets really annoying... all my friends say that it is really difficult to tell one type of asian from another. is that true? also, when somebody says "that asian person!", wat type of asian do u think of immediatley? :-k

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just lazy. I can usually tell what country someone comes from (no matter what race). It takes a bit of learning.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I find it difficult to tell what country an Asian person is from, but then again I've only had one Asian friend (where I live there's mostly white Americans) so I haven't been around Asians enough to be able to figure out what country they are from.

When someone says 'Asian person' I don't automatically label them to a country. I just think of them as Asian until I find out what country they are actually from.

I can't tell them apart, just like I can't tell what country an African person is from. Or what middle eastern country someones from. Or what country a south american person is from. The only thing I can tell apart is I can normally pick out someone from Europe as compared to a North American, they just look different.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

It depends. I find it easy to tell people from India apart from people from China. I find it hard to tell people from China from people from Japan. I'm sure if I really tried to learn the differences, I could...

Can you tell the difference between a man from France and a man from Belgium based on looks alone? How about Switzerland and Austria? Could you tell a Kenyan from a Nigerian?

Well, if I see Finnish, Swedish and Russian man standing in a line... I could tell the country of each.

It's all local thing, I wouldn't see the difference between aussie and american... until they start to speak :P

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

Well, I have two Japanese friends. Our school gets alot of foreign exchange students as well. Most of them are from Thailand or Korea. I don't ask them questions or anything unless they're cool with it, and I kind of have learned to tell them apart by their accents.

3898000bYVcx.png

I can't tell them apart, sorry.

But I cant tell apart a Brittish and American.

Or a Peruian from a Columbian

Nor a Ivorine from a Nigerian

Or a Iraqi from Saudi Aradian.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Can you tell the difference between a man from France and a man from Belgium based on looks alone? How about Switzerland and Austria? Could you tell a Kenyan from a Nigerian?

The African ones would be a little more difficult, but I could probably piece it together from thier accents.

Telling ethnicities is simple, it's mostly facial features. The way the eyes, nose, and eyebrows come together can tell you a lot about a person.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

its always much harder for someone to determine differences between people of different races than it is to recognise differences between their own race... thats why most people cant tell, aswell as the fact they may not know what an indian, or chinese or japanese person looks like in general.

babelfish - level 180 60th place

strongguy - level 173 69th place

Not that I place much value on other people's ethnicity, but in my highschool the past four years ago, I had to learn quickly cause most of the students are from various countries...

I think I did a good job. What ticked me off too was that most people kept asking me if im this or that aswell...

They stopped asking eventually though. ::'

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

Nick, it's Peruvian.

I can tell the difference between asians. 8-) It's all about the eyes and skin colour.

You know what's even more annoying? Is when they think all asians have...the eye thing (I dont mean to sound racist or anything). I mean the Middle East and the Indian Subcontinent are part of asia too! Not all of us are Chinese either. Heck there's even 1 billion Indians in India. The people the think are asian are called...*drum roll* ORIENTALS! \'

They could just ask.... :|

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Well, no one can tell what type of Asian I am just by looking at me. I'm mainly Taiwanese. A little more on-topic: Well, there are a few main parts of Asia. It's usually pretty easy to tell someone from India apart from someone from Russia. But I'm guessing you're talking about East Asians. I personally can tell sometimes, but it's not that hard if you give me a name.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I find that caucasians can tell other caucasians age better, as well as a general location, but are terrible with that information and asians.

As well as the inverse. At school a couple years back we had a student from South Korea - she could guess exactly the age of every other asian student at the school (there were diverse ages, fwiw), but she couldn't guess the age of any caucasian.

summerpngwy6.jpg

What difference does it make to you what country someone is from? Why is skin color so important? To me everyone is a person and I don't try to distinguish people based on this or that. We're all human and that should be good enough for you. It's good enough for me.

We don't rebel to sell it just suits us well, we're the bright young things.

It depends of several factors too such as background, culture, the location, and the person who you're looking.

For example, I'm Canadian chinese and several of my classmates almost knew {at the first days of school} that I was either Chinese from the physic of my face.

And yes, asian people from the Orient {China, Japan, Korea, Philipines, etc.} have specific eye shape, head shape, visage shape and nose shape for them.

Those some people have guessed out from the shape of my eyes, my face, and my head that was either Chinese or Vietnamese.

My parents and my other relatives know this as well fro the difference of those people {since they were born there and lived there.}

It's the same thing for the people who lived in the Middle-East, Iran, turkey, Italy, Argentina, Bresil, or Africa whatever place in the world. Different ethnics evolved from their geographical location. Some group of people in the same continent look alike, but there are still have some slight differences.

I mean the Middle East and the Indian Subcontinent are part of asia too!

Yeah. That irrates me from my Chinese friends meeting my Pakistani and Iranian classmates.

I dislike the fact I befirend with fake Azns...

-=Aznhuskarl=- Cleric

-=20Cent=- Juggernaught

More to come...

I too find it a little bit hard to tell the distinct differences between some of the countries. Although, I am learning and getting better at guessing who's from where because of the make-up of my school. We only have about 500 local students (HS btw), but we get about 300 students from international programs each year. The majority of the students are from Korea, Japan, China and Germany. All of the international students understand that us local kids get their coutries wrong sometimes and they try to help us out. So, for the time being I have a little trouble distiguishing faces to countries...

Slack_Tide.png

I personally have a hard time pin pointing a person to their country...your lucky if I guess what continent your from. lol. Seriously though I really don't even try, at risk of offending someone. I just consider them a human being and get their name if I can, so I have that to identify them by.

I think it just depends on whether your around a certain ethnic group often or not, that makes it so you can easily identify someones race.

Whats funny is I'm not very good at identifying between like Japanese, Chinese, and what not. The reason why its funny is because I have Japanese and Chinese in me. hecks I got ALOT of things in me...Chinese,Japanese,Hawaiian,Polonesian,Dutch,German,Irish,French,English,Miami Indian, and a few others I forget...lol. And thats where its hard, when you get people who are mixed, how to determine what they are.

lol, "I label by the Continent not the country."

if you label a relatively large group like a continent your less likely to get it wrong. Would it offend you more if someone called you asian, or if they called you the wrong smaller group? lol

Although I'd like to finish up with, I don't nessesarily condone label making I was just simply making a few points. :D

I can recognize if its obvious. Which is about 80 percent of the time, i'm right. Japanese is the most easy for me. Also korean. Chinese is pretty easy for me to identify. 80 percent of the time, I can seperate the possibilties of them speaking mandarin/fujianese or cantonese as their main language.

gr454rc.gif

I can't tell to be honest. Sometimes I can but it's hard.

I've been mistaken to be Japanese when I'm Chinese. :oops:

I can, however, tell the difference between people from different parts of China based on their accents when they speak Mandarin or another dialect. :P