Tip.It Times Presents: Will there be a RS3?

Kiara_Kat

Take from Jagex's corporate site:

"Jagex Ltd, developer and publisher of the MMORPG adventure game RuneScape, is looking for imaginative people to join the content development team on a permanent basis. Your role will primarily be to build creatures, shape virtual worlds, design quests and storylines for our new, undisclosed game."

A "...new, undisclosed game."

I saw this a little while ago. I believe that they ARE making an entirely new game as the Editor suspects.

cosmicmanager.png

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that there will ever be an RS3. I say this becasue Jagex have taken the theme of RS about as far as they can. All they can do is expand on the history a but more withe more quests and perhaps add a few more mini-games. As far as skills are concerned, the current skill set covers just about everything. As mentioned in an earlier reply Jagex will probably tweak the skills by adding new things, eg swimming in agility, carpentry on crafting.

Personally I think Jagex should really be concentrating on a brand new game with a completely different theme. However, they should not move away from the basic priciples that created RS in the first placed, ie, browser based with F2P and P2P with a small monthly fee. By keeping with these basic ideas any game that Jagex brings out is bound to be a success.

Even if there is no RS3, RS2 is like the Declaration of Independance... or that one thing, it can be changed to the liking of the current wants of the public.

And BTW it would not cost 29.95 a year... but it should NOT cost by the hour either it would give people willing to spend more money a better experience when playing it. It should be maybe 15 when it comes out but only 10 like if you buy a year or something... assuming it has the virtual reality of WoW.

I don't think there's gonna be an RS3. If there will be, probably in 5 years and not less than that.

is it possible to suggest a topic for the next tip.it times?

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

Content Developer

Jagex Ltd, developer and publisher of the MMORPG adventure game RuneScape, is looking for imaginative people to join the content development team on a permanent basis. Your role will primarily be to build creatures, shape virtual worlds, design quests and storylines for our new, undisclosed game.

I found this on the Jagex corporate site,

which suggests an entirely new, undisclosed game is in the making.

I somehow don't think it will be an "RS3", but still think it will be a browser-based MMORPG. Most likely using a similar engine to Runescape, (because there is no position advertised for programmers to create an entirely new engine), but with different storylines, quests, and skills to boot.

Although I'm basing all this on assumptions, so no doubt I will be proved wrong by the Jagex crew.

::'

Also on the corporate site is this:

Our ambition for 2006 is to exceed 900,000 subscribers for RuneScape, to take RuneScape into other non-english language markets and to develop further games using our technologies.

This has been on the corporate site for a long time now...last year their ambition was to reach 300,000 subscribers I believe...now they want to triple that.

By the way...great article, keep them coming. :D

Hate to burst your bubble guys but i read on an official forum yesterday (in the future update forum) in a thread discussing the possibility of rs3, and a mod locked the thread, saying that jagex had no plans for releasing "rs3" and were not currently working on "rs3"

I guess theyre happy with rs2

Besides which, if they made the game any more complicated/higher detail it probably wouldnt run in a browser (and would need at least broadband internet)

I thought everyone had realised this by now... Jagex has made clear their intentions to stick with RS2 multiple times!

It has been confirmed by Jagex that Jagex is working on a new undisclosed game. Although no official information has been released about this as of yet it is said to be another RPG unrelated to runescape.

Spam DEF: Any post, paragraph, or sentence that does not add to the value of the thread.

Big_Stingman is the bomb!

Must be really running out of ideas for subjects.

Ouch! I never knew Mods or staff members could say anything negative about other staff members... Especially without a disclaimer! :shock: haha

Someone fire his A$$

Spam DEF: Any post, paragraph, or sentence that does not add to the value of the thread.

Big_Stingman is the bomb!

I find that the main thing RS gets bashed about is it's graphics. Sure, they've improved them over the years (dragons, fally, etc), and it's heaps better than RSC, but it's still nothing compared to the likes of WOW etc. Of course they are rather limited by making RS in java and allowing it to run on older slower computers.

As it appears that they are working on a new non-rs game, I think they should make it as a standalone (ie. non java/browser based), while keeping the things that have made RS popular. People with older slower computers and those who like games running in a browser will still have RS to play.

The new game could be released for free, as a free download off the site (even though it could be quite big), included on magazine cds, or sold in stores at a very low price (say $5 to cover pressing, shipping, store profits etc). Keep a free to play area as that helps introduce players to the game, and the ever expanding pay to play area for those who will pay for more content (this has worked well in RS).

Keep the large non fighting content (wow gets boring with just combat), keep making sure there's heaps of servers (wow players know the problem there...), make sure there's heaps of social interaction (making friends in game helps keep people interested), and they'll have a certain hit!

Of course, that's just my ideas, but it's what I'd do in their situation.

crazykiwi - http://www.rsdrop.com

Never, ever, do I hope they make a new game. Runescape is their best project ever and should stick with it. Andrew said he would anyhow since he has all these plans for it. If a new game was made, it would devestate people who spent years of their lives of Runescape.

Yeah, I would be 'annoyed' if Jagex deserted RS2. If making a new game has little or no effect on how much jagex supports RS2 (even if alot of player leave) then that would be ok, just keeping a branch of Jagex staff for the 'old game'.

The real question is will the new game be java script based or disc based?

I doubt Jagex will want to use javascript because critics will go for the graphics again. No, this new game will be CD based and have better graphics than Runescape.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

My belief is that they will not make an RS3, and neither would they be making a new game anytime soon (as in, within a few years). JAGeX has poured a lot into RS, with updates every week. Might I even say they have become attached to it, and would probably not abandon it for another project.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

I don't think rs3 will ever come out, and if it does it probably won't be anything like WoW. I think Jagex realizes that a large number of the people playing don't have very good pc's and/or internet connection, and rs is one of the mmorpg's they can play.

And to the people who want rs to become more like WoW, here's an easy solution.. go play WoW. Plus, why would Jagex make a cd game when there name stands for java gaming experts? #-o

They have been working on a completely different game for quite a while now. I think its on a space theme. Can't really remember now as I spoke to them about it before Summer.

RS2 is safe though. They make so much money from it and have a lot more goals than they mention on their site with regard to subscribers.

They are "JAva Gaming EXperts", so for better or worse, anything coming from their studio will probably be implemented in Java.

So just what is wrong with Java anyway? Maybe J2SE 6.0 will enable greater use of graphics card perfomance, and the argument of Java size/performance rages on - largest isllustration being in the shape of bittorrent clients, where the main Java one (Azaureus) is often reconed to be slow and bloated, compared to a C++ one like uTorrent - a lot oc comparison in that field, as there are BT clients written in almaost every language you can think of, compiled, JIT or interpreted.

I digress..

RS2 or "RS3D" was the switch from cartoony 2D to solid modelling, now unless there is something as big as that, there will be no need for a switch to RS3. The only reason to make something that would be RS3, is if it was going to be incompatible with continued development of RS2 - more likely, is that RS2 may evolve into "RS2.1" if sufficient changes are required - maybe the engine changes mean it is already RS2.1?

As for a new game, a "total conversion" of RS2 would be one possibility, though rather obvious if armour became space suits, magic became ray guns and transporter technology etc.

One thing they DO need to consider, is better use of the range of screen sizes available - RS2 needs a resizable client.

Content Developer

Jagex Ltd, developer and publisher of the MMORPG adventure game RuneScape, is looking for imaginative people to join the content development team on a permanent basis. Your role will primarily be to build creatures, shape virtual worlds, design quests and storylines for our new, undisclosed game.

I found this on the Jagex corporate site,

which suggests an entirely new, undisclosed game is in the making.

I somehow don't think it will be an "RS3", but still think it will be a browser-based MMORPG. Most likely using a similar engine to Runescape, (because there is no position advertised for programmers to create an entirely new engine), but with different storylines, quests, and skills to boot.

Although I'm basing all this on assumptions, so no doubt I will be proved wrong by the Jagex crew.

::'

I think that's what the Editor is implying. There will be no RS3, but there will be a new browser-based MMORPG from Jagex that will incorporate a lot of the stuff they're testing in RS right now.

Different storyline, different world. Make us all start from 0 again.

hugh_mannity.png

yea, it seems that the editor is running out of topics

Give the guy a break! Could you come up with 52 different essays on Runescape at the rate of one a week?

Even with occasional guest editors, writing a weekly editorial is a treadmill. I used to produce a weekly newsletter as part of my job. The main editorial was written by one of 3 people and we used to reckon it took a day to come up with and research a topic and another 1/2 day to write the article. While a lot of it was, kinda like RS, dependent on what was happening each week, there were some general industry topics we could write up and keep in reserve. But getting to press each week meant that someone had to start thinking about next week's article as soon as this week's had been published.

The editor is probably researching next week's article right now.

hugh_mannity.png

bare in mind that locations wise about 10% of the world map is still covered in darkness, add to that the recent charter ships update and i think we'll be seeing a lot more islands.

as to the "new server for each language" comment it's a load of rubbish. bare in mind that the game screen consists of 3 frames: chatbox, control panel and screen. All that is needed to do for language updates is change the control panel which feeds the other two. therefore it would make more sense to have language as an extra option in the detail section. remember that low and high detail are both fed from the same server just as different forms of login so the server sends differing data. The same could (and probably will) be done for languages.

1. I don't want a new game, cause all my life is in this one. :cry:

If it's a new game then your character in RS2 will have nothing to do with it.. might as well complain you can't transfer your character to WoW.

2. Graphics

Argh.. why wont you people stop with the graphics complaint. 3D graphics do not an MMORPG make. Most of you are probably too young to remember MUDs (text based message board games) or even :shock: D&D where you wrote a story on paper and rolled dice. RS has something that most MMORPGs don't - a story and history worthy of a novel. Something else to consider is that if JAGEX wants to branch out further in the world, then simple graphics are mandatory - as technology is slower to improve in many parts of the world. (Not to mention lack of even reliable dial-up, never mind broadband).

A new RS style game would be nice, as there are, in my opinion, many core gameplay issues that need to be solved.(can anyone say same XP from chickens as you get from KBD?) In the end tho.. as long as enough people play RS2 I doubt JAGEX will "delete" everyone and bin it. It isn't that hard to maintain the servers after all - not when they're being paid for it.

Oh yeah... DOOOOOOOOOOOOOD HORSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh how I wish they would make an entire continent of mounted only play. New armour and weapon sets, new mini-games (cavalry against hords of infantry woo) and a mounted wildy. Ahh one can dream.

Currently Selling: Supers of all kinds and Splitbark Armour. PM me in-game for both.