My wish:

1. Playstation 3

2. Wii

3. Xbox 360

That's what I want it to be, but it's likely that it will be:

1. Playstation 3

2. Xbox 360

3. Wii

I know, unoriginal. The same as the current race. I just don't think that Wii is going to sell as many copies as people think, and I don't think Xbox 360 will be ahead of PS3 for long. PS2 a HUGE base all over the world, particularly Japan, and even USA. PS2, still outsells every console around, by a lot. You'd be kidding yourself if you think $100 dollars is going to matter to people, especially when they find out it has a blue ray player (PS3 is undeniably a far better deal that Xbox 360). Not only that, PS3 also has the best launch line-up. Now, before you start shrieking at me let me explain myself.

FULL. BACKWARDS. COMPATIBILITY.

A lot of Triple A games are still coming out for PS2, and will be for I expect another 6-12 months (God of War 2 etc.). Blockbusters like Bully and Guitar Hero 2 will be there, ready at launch for PS3.

And let's not forget all the others, particularly Resistance: Fall of Man, Tony Hawk's Project 8, Rainbow 6: Vegas, Call of Duty 3, Need for Speed Carbon, Ridge Racer 7, F.E.A.R., Oblivion, Madden 07, and down the line we have Killzone 2, Warhawk, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, Assassin's Creed UT2007.

This is way different than the Xbox 360 launch. People waited months to by it, standed in the freezing cold to pick it up. Then they got it and were like: "..uhhh...what do I do now?". You basically had PDZ (far from a killer app), and Call of Duty 2. Then you waited for DoA4 by like Christmas, and had next to nothing until about March when the games started picking up (GRAW, Oblivion etc.). And you couldn't even play some of the best Xbox games, because they weren't supported, and Microsoft told you that the gamers didn't want backwards compatibility. Which, while some may not, a lot of people don't want to have their games become useless (a lot of people sell there system to get cash for a brand new one). And even if you kept it, you'd have to fiddle with cords every time you wanted to switch.

PS3 will win. I believe 360 will make some ground over this gen, but still PS3 will win. And Wii will do well, but not as good as people think.

My guess, 5 years time, the market will look like this:

PS3: 50%

Xbox360: 30%

Wii: 20%

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Yes... AAA games are coming out for PS2. Not to mention new versions of the console. So why exactly would people want to buy a $500-600 PS2?

You're overhyping the launch for PS3 a bit. Here's a break down:

Resistance: Fall of Man - Yep, I'll give you this one.

Tony Hawk's Project 8 - Not an exclusive.

Rainbow 6: Vegas - Not an exclusive.

Call of Duty 3 - Not an exclusive.

Need for Speed Carbon - Not an exclusive.

Ridge Racer 7 - Take this too.

F.E.A.R. - Not an exclusive. Not to mention there's a free version of this available.

Oblivion - Not an exclusive.

Madden 07 - Not an exclusive.

So FoM and Riidge Racer?

Yes... AAA games are coming out for PS2. Not to mention new versions of the console. So why exactly would people want to buy a $500-600 PS2?

You're overhyping the launch for PS3 a bit. Here's a break down:

Resistance: Fall of Man - Yep, I'll give you this one.

Tony Hawk's Project 8 - Not an exclusive.

Rainbow 6: Vegas - Not an exclusive.

Call of Duty 3 - Not an exclusive.

Need for Speed Carbon - Not an exclusive.

Ridge Racer 7 - Take this too.

F.E.A.R. - Not an exclusive. Not to mention there's a free version of this available.

Oblivion - Not an exclusive.

Madden 07 - Not an exclusive.

So FoM and Riidge Racer?

The point behind exclusives mean that people can not use these as advantages for other consoles. Other than say...GRAW, there's next to nil on the 360 that's exclusive right now, and of a high quality. There's a few games way down the line (Bioshock etc.), but you'll note that I listed a lot more games than you said....And that wasn't my point with that. If you'll recall, Xbox360 would have been a far better launch had it had some tried and tested 4-5 star games in it's arsenal on launch. That was my point with the multi-platform thing.

And then, there's the rest of the year and Q1 2007, which completely destroys the launch/post-launch of Xbox360. And why get a PS3 instead of a PS2? Well, many of the best new games (UT2k7, MGS4) and multi-platform games (F.E.A.R, Oblivion) are PS3 only (as in not PS2).

My whole point is that it's pretty well an inarguable fact that PS3 will have a far superior launch/post launch than 360 had. It's basically that Xbox360 is just now getting all it's best games coming; and PS3 has them from the get-go.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

The point behind exclusives mean that people can not use these as advantages for other consoles. Other than say...GRAW, there's next to nil on the 360 that's exclusive right now, and of a high quality. There's a few games way down the line (Bioshock etc.), but you'll note that I listed a lot more games than you said....And that wasn't my point with that. If you'll recall, Xbox360 would have been a far better launch had it had some tried and tested 4-5 star games in it's arsenal on launch. That was my point with the multi-platform thing.

And then, there's the rest of the year and Q1 2007, which completely destroys the launch/post-launch of Xbox360. And why get a PS3 instead of a PS2? Well, many of the best new games (UT2k7, MGS4) and multi-platform games (F.E.A.R, Oblivion) are PS3 only (as in not PS2).

My whole point is that it's pretty well an inarguable fact that PS3 will have a far superior launch/post launch than 360 had. It's basically that Xbox360 is just now getting all it's best games coming; and PS3 has them from the get-go.

While that's true - problems arise when you try to use titles that have been out for months on both PC and xbox360 as launch titles. US$600 would get any person an upgraded PC more than capable of playing anything the PS3 can bring out, and then some.

Essentially, they're fighting for the sales of those who do not yet own the game of either system (PC and xbox360). Sure they won't be on the PS2, this is true. But that doesn't mean they don't have it elsewhere.

The only thing the PS3 really has going for it are the exclusives, since the bulk of their library usually ends up on PC anyways. If people aren't willing to pay the $600 for the system, they'll wait for a PC or xbox 360 launch because chances are it'll happen eventually.

@Adam: I think it's more efficient this way. At least we can see who voted for what.

For people who have a lot of spare time in their hands, there's an author that applies disruptive technology with the Wii; especially in this article. I think it's very interesting.

People will pay $600 for a PS3 because it can function as a stand-alone Blu-Ray player. Right now that is enough to warrant the purchase of a PS3.

If you want to play next-gen movies on an Xbox360 you'll need to purchase an external HD-DVD drive. They're going to retail for $200 usd. Add that to the $400 usd you pay for a premium edition 360 and you're paying $600 anyways

Essentially you're going to end up paying the same price for the same functionality. The only deciding factor here will be which of the two formats [blu-Ray or HD-DVD] becomes the future standard.

That said, I vote for "other". I'll be buying a Wii. No point in buying a 360 or PS3 when DirectX10 is coming out so soon. Once the new line of video cards are out for the PC I'll be a happy camper :thumbsup:

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

Considering that neither HD-DVD or Blu-Ray is the confirmed format for the future, either choice is going to have possible draw backs anyways. That, and by the time one of them is confirmed as definate, the cost of the victorious player will be less than "right now".

Also, there's still another 4 years or so left on the clock towards analogl to digital (and HD) broadcasting. People aren't going to be in a rush to bust out a few grand on a tv when they don't have to.

The adult film industry is backing Blu-Ray. It will win.

That's gross but true. And do you think Sony collaborated with them in this? If so, that's just wrong.

summerpngwy6.jpg

The adult film industry is backing Blu-Ray. It will win.

That's gross but true. And do you think Sony collaborated with them in this? If so, that's just wrong.

Is that entirely true however? I don't know that I'd want to see every last pimple and ...... I'll stop there, but you get the idea :P

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

If you want to know about exclusives:

360 Exclusives

PS3 Exclusives

Wii Exclusives

Yeah, I read that. And according to Joystiq:

The investigatory-journalism notes that the Xbox 360 offers 48 exclusive games with the help of a one-year head start (48% of which are first-party), the PS3 has a total of 35 games (51% of which are first-party), and Wii represents with 40 titles (35% of which are first-party). Hit the read link for the full list of exclusives by console according to the games blog.

X360 - 48 Exclusives (48% First Party)

PS3 - 35 Exclusives (51% First Party)

Wii - 40 Exclusives (35% First Party)

I thought Wii is the one supposedly to depend on first parties? :)

Oh, and I edited in everyone who voted so far.

I thought Wii is the one supposedly to depend on first parties? :)

It seems like they are known for their first party games more than others.

But in my completley un-proffesional opinion, I think they need to depend on first parties a lot less than the other two consoles. Both the PS3 and 360 cost more to manufacture than what they charge for them. They make up the money with their games. The Wii makes money from selling their system, so they really don't need the games to make money.

There's probably a flaw in that logic, but that's what I think.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

If you want to know about exclusives:

360 Exclusives

PS3 Exclusives

Wii Exclusives

You know what I just noticed? PC owns. Other than Halo 3 (which will come to PC, but probably not til 2009-2010), we pretty much have all the best Xbox360 "exclusives" (Alan Wake, Bioshock, Gears of War, Splinter Cell 5), a few PS3 "exclusives" (UT2k7 etc.) and we get all the best multi-platform games (Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, GTA4 (will come to PC)). And all our own exclusives (sucks that we lost Half-Life 2, sucks hard). But we still have pretty much all the RTS's, we have the best FPS's, and we get the all the best games from other platforms, aswell as heaps more versatility in our machine.
bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg