Tip.It Times Presents: Is there a "For Sale"...

Kiara_Kat

However, the only reason I would support a takeover like this is in that last sentence - "can provide financial benefits to it's costumers (us) in the form of new support". I hate to say it, but maybe a takeover, dispite what I've said, is the only way in which the shambolic Customer Support team and services at Jagex can be improved.

Agreed.

And no, Jagex doesn't seem to have the player's concerns as their number one priority - it seems mroe of a four or five, sadly.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very interesting read and definitely a nice deviation from the bloggish read that The Editor had mistakenly done before.

as for the possibility of Jagex being bought out, i hope it never happens.

off-topic:

As long as the Brothers Gower can remain in game development

Gower brothers.

#-o

i'm going to lie and say you're not an idiot.

proud quest cape owner

here's my first post on the TIF (scroll to the bottom)

feel free to pm me, but do make sure that i know you're a Tip.It user (in other words, give me a HYT)

signatureTIF.jpg

Interesting article, but I hope Jagex never sells their company. God knows what a new company would do to Runescape. Maybe they would improve it, maybe they would completely screw it up. But honestly I don't wanna know and never want to know...

All these articles on a new game that's different and a possibility of Jagex selling Runescape... :ohnoes:

Google Guru

Selling the "ideas and implementation behind RuneScape" would be pointless, it's just a process. Anyone with a degree in marketing could figure out WHY Runescape is popular: It's free, it's little load time, it's targeted to teens and young-adults, it's browser based, it's an MMORPG for those who cannot afford and MMORPG, it's not anime-styled graphics (which allows for a more serious instead of a cutesy gameplay).

ever heard of a term called plagarism? you have to buy ideas before you can use them, or else you go to prison.

I do NOT think that Jagex would actually sell any of their ideas to other companies. This might cause more competition for Jagex, and then they'd actually LOSE money in the long run. That said, I can't see any reasons why Jagex would consider selling out. With new content being released every week, i cant imagine the Gower brothers getting bored any time soon. Also consider that no company would buy jagex unless they expect to make a profit. IAC may offer $500 million, but if Jagex is worth that much to IAC, then it should be worth more to Andrew, since he would make more money in the long run.

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

As a person who'd love to work for Jagex one day (I'm a Java programmer :)), I must say this was quite interesting, including the bit about selling the Runescape creation methodology - Jagex is in an elite group which builds the game to be long lasting (we've seen this in the changes to the engine and so forth) but also builds a very broad game with moderate depth in each element. This contrasts to most games I've seen which focus on doing one thing very well - FPSs have awesome bloody graphics in general, but usually less of a plot line and very little in the way of other things to do in the game. When games do implement other aspects of it (Diablo? WoW?) they're generally very badly done or make you sacrifice all of your combat related skills. The reason runescape gets in my blood is there's always something new and when I get bored of what I'm doing (I spent months mining and I never do it now lol) there's always something else that pulls my interest - I'm into slayer now, but I'm sure that will pass and I'll go back to quests or something else.

But I think this is Jagex's strength, or at least one of them and what I think you're getting at in your times post :). It seems oddly similar to the web 2.0 concepts too...

Now I just need the money to move to England...

~ Dep ~

This article really makes you think about runescape's future. Runescape-Jagex for that matter- is a buisness, like many others, with the interest in a profit. It is, and was always a buisness, but this is one that has great success. The main thing behind runescape is its unique coding for the great gameplay that has hooked over 5 million people. Jagex has done an amazing job so far and will never cease to amaze its bound players.

I am hoping that this buisness dose not turn into a sell out company because the money lost would crush the gower brothers. The article says its worth over $50M. Just think how it would impact them if they lost that annual income. I know for a fact this game has a decade at least left for expansion. Further on i have NO idea what will happen, or if the game will still be around, but that gives a lot of time for some major updates and for Jagex to continue there already complex storyline.

Jagex will not sell out, they know how stupid it would be to give up this great game.

Also as i read i had to re read the part where google bought youtube.com I did not know that. Fascinating... :-k

6fcc8f4a14.png

BleachBaboosmall.jpg

To The Editor:

Great article. I'm surprised anyone is flaming you whatsoever.

I'll admit, though, I hope Jagex never sells out.

Now for something confusing me:

WSJ source citation added. For those of you that would like to read it, you can click here to access the Wall Street Journal article.

Kiara_Kat,

Don't mean to seem rude or anything with this, but could I ask you to please copy the article on Wall Street Journal's Site to this thread? :ohnoes: Not everyone has a Wall Street Journal account, and sadly, upon attempting to follow the link you provided to all of us, I was kicked out to a login screen! :cry: :boohoo:

~Mr. Devnull

(To all who would flame me about this: Not all of us happen to have $150/month to spend out on 20 or 30 net services. I can't just up and go buy an account at will... :? -.- ...)

[Late Edit made by Author because of some missed thoughts...]

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

personaly i was hoping Jagex would go public, id think id invest heavily in shares in them if they did. I think even if the Gowers sell the controling share, or get bought out runescape would not be effected in anyway, the new owner would not have to be a genius to realise that leaving it running as it is would ensure a huge return on his or hers behalf.

I'm sure many others will agree with me on this one, let's keep the Tip.it Times related to in-game/about the game ideas. I'd rather hear about My Arm than what Jagexs future policies will be.

Let's not. I found this a lot more interesting than views written on recent small updates. Want to hear about My Arm? Go to Gen P2P or do the quest.

I agree with most of what was said in the article, except the bit about selling the ideas behind the game.

ever heard of a term called plagarism? you have to buy ideas before you can use them, or else you go to prison.

What makes the MMORPG's so effective is their simple addictiveness and playability, and that isn't something that you could be sued for plagarising if you used it. This isn't like stealing ideas behind a book or using the same chord pattern as a hit song without permission, this is simple marketing.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Now for something confusing me:

WSJ source citation added. For those of you that would like to read it, you can click here to access the Wall Street Journal article.

Kiara_Kat,

Don't mean to seem rude or anything with this, but could I ask you to please copy the article on Wall Street Journal's Site to this thread? :ohnoes: Not everyone has a Wall Street Journal account, and sadly, upon attempting to follow the link you provided to all of us, I was kicked out to a login screen! :cry: :boohoo:

~Mr. Devnull

Was thinking about the same thing, but that also isn't legal I think :-$

10y3vig.png

proudtitan.png

One thing worth noting is that the 850,000 member profit is only likely to be around 50% of jagex's income. The f2p worlds will too make a lot of money from the extra advertising placed in the sidebars which not only pays to maintain the game but also will provide profit to them.

Personally i doubt that jagex will sell to anyone, if we look to their corperate site which seems to have been negleted in this article we see under "future development"

"Jagex has proprietary network communication and graphics compression technologies which are utilized in all its games. These technologies are continually evolving and form the backbone of our development plans.

RuneScape was completely re-written during the latter part of 2003 and early 2004 allowing 'RuneScape 2' to be launched in March 2004. 'RS2' featured a completely new games engine and vastly improved graphics for an even more fun playing experience. At the same time we maintained the 'play anywhere' philosophy that is central to our offering. We continually improve our technology to enable the company to attack and achieve our ambitious targets.

We intend to become a significant online operator in all the major gaming markets worldwide; developing and commercializing highly compelling persistent character games that appeal to as wide an audience as possible, based on cutting edge technologies developed in house.

Our ambition for 2006 is to exceed 900,000 subscribers for RuneScape, to take RuneScape into other non-english language markets and to develop further games using our technologies."

Iin my eyes if they accompish the language task then runescape will skyrocket as only around 1 in 5 mmorpg's give that facility. Once the language programs are in place i suspect we will see around 20-30 new servers opening in new locations; france, spain, germany and holland will all open up new markets.

When Google went public as the author notes, did it change its task? Did it strive to please the shareholders? No, by far no! Instead it used its new found funds to further its goals. That's what happens when a company with integrity goes public.

er yes it did, it released a censored version of google to china due to stockholder pressure. 236 million sites which stated that chinas communist party might not be all that good suddenly went missing. similarly i believe there is a version coming out for north korea soon and odds are a few million pages will go missing from that too.

an interesting point to note is that it has bought youtube recently, now youtube with fantastic integrity refused to release a censored version of its political videos to china, as a result it is currently banned there, it will be interesting to see whether google submit AGAIN to shareholder pressure and start censoring videos for china.

my one and only prayer is that they never EVER touch wikipedia.

I'm sure the Gower brothers won't sell it because it's apparently a great game, they like working on it, and plus they could afford a 1.9M whip like a 3 cent candy bar!

OFF TOPIC: Why Jagex, why?? Now we're going to have some moreeee noobs coming from that site.. greatt :x

was just poking round the jagex site and i found this

"Partnerships - RuneScape

Jagex partners with leading companies to bring the playing experience of RuneScape to as wide an audience as possible.

Broadly, any significant online business who currently has a large and suitable audience could be a potential Jagex partner.

Most Partnerships are done on a revenue sharing basis: earning significant additional revenues for the partner with no additional investment. Jagex can help monetize your audience. "

OFF TOPIC: Why Jagex, why?? Now we're going to have some moreeee noobs coming from that site.. greatt :x

Okay, what are you referring to? :shock: I'm confused here! :?

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

If im right, i think the value of jagex could be very high like 100mil+

so if i owned it, i would certainly sell :$

I would also buy shares if they went public :P

Good luck to them in whatever they choose

signk8.png

If im right, i think the value of jagex could be very high like 100mil+

so if i owned it, i would certainly sell :$

I would also buy shares if they went public :P

thats means you'd make the one off 100 mil wheras if you kept the controling stake you'd make alot more

Also jagex's compression technology was created by Andrew a long time ago.