Terrorbirds

Adam007

An interesting thing I just found. The terrorbird in runescape looks like this:

Terrorbird.gif

It's actually based off a real animal. It's extinct now, the 55-million-year-old bird called Diatryma gigantean, but it looked like this:

terror-bird-big.jpg

That bird was also referred to as a terrorbird.

I know, nothing extraordinarily special of a post - I just found it interesting.

Weren't those things the top predator for quite a while in South America? Theory has it that they even hunted as a team, like modern-day lions and wolves. Can't remember what caused them to go extinct though...

paintdry6yn.png

forceny5.png

Haven't played RuneScape since 12 january 2007 and it feels great :)

Weren't those things the top predator for quite a while in South America? Theory has it that they even hunted as a team, like modern-day lions and wolves. Can't remember what caused them to go extinct though...

It was those damn dinosaurs!

Extremely interesting. How does one come upon such a thing? :-k

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

Phorusrhacoids, or Terror Birds, were large carnivorous flightless birds that were the dominant predators in South America during the Cenozoic, 62ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ2.5 million years ago. They were roughly 1ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ3 meters (3ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ10 feet) tall. Titanis walleri, one of the largest species, is known from North America, marking one of the comparatively rare examples where animals that evolved in South America managed to spread north after the Isthmus of Panama landbridge formed. The ancestors of T. walleri have not been found; however, it is possible that more North American species await discovery. Only a few bones of T. walleri have been discovered at scattered locations in Florida and at a site along the Texas coast. No complete skeleton exists of North America's only known phorusrhacoid.

Phorusrhacoids are colloquially known as "terror birds", because their larger species were top-level predators and among the most fearsome carnivores of their habitat. Their wings had evolved to meathook-like structures that could be outstretched like arms and were able to perform a hacking motion which apparently was helpful in bringing down prey. Most of the smaller and some of the larger species were fast runners.

Their closest modern-day relatives are the seriemas, which do not, however, belong to the same lineage.

A new (2006) specimen from Patagonia represents the largest bird skull found yet; it has not been formally described yet but might belong to a new taxon. [1]

terrorbird.jpg

sooo in reply to earlier post, yes they were top predators,

also if you look at the pictrue, it looks like one of the alien illustrations in H.G. Wells War Of The Worlds original

zezima.png

thanks for the cropping Mr Joob =]

There must be some coinicidence going on here, because the one in the musseum is brown and these that gnomes ride are green. I smell a coinicidence.

If not a coinicidence, Jagex somehow edited the color of these birds. :-k

Off-Topic: I can't wait to see Eragon. \'